05-25-15 04:57 AM
59 123
tools
    Being new to the BB Passport, and 3 or 4 years removed from BB as a whole, I am curious if BB is planning any smart watches in the future. I'm not even sure if I would use a smart watch, considering my passport is always with me anyway.

My buddy just bought a Apple Watch, it looks nice, but even he doesn't know for sure if he will utilize it, outside of fitness.

JOHN
    04-26-15 07:35 AM
    I know I would utilize a BlackBerry Watch, would not have to look at my phone as much.

Posted via CB10
    04-26-15 07:41 AM
    No they don't have any plans to release one. I personally think it would be a bad idea at this time anyways.

The market hasn't figured itself out yet and smart watches may be successful or the may be not.

Posted via CB10
    ericp2011 likes this.
    04-26-15 07:42 AM
    I know I would utilize a BlackBerry Watch, would not have to look at my phone as much.

Posted via CB10
    I stopped wearing a watch when a got my first cell phone lol

Posted via CB10
    redcubicle and Mo Cat like this.
    04-26-15 07:43 AM
    It's a bad idea to make one, but it's a great idea to choose a system and develop a native app by BlackBerry to be compatible to.

Posted via CB10
    theotherjoeboy and 00stryder like this.
    04-26-15 08:16 AM
    I use Pebble watch for now, though not perfect, is still a nice addition.

MBFan-WHITE PASSPORT
    04-26-15 08:29 AM
    I have zero interest in a smart watch. I would, however, buy a BlackBerry smart watch. (but would love a BlackBerry tablet more)

Posted via CB10
    04-26-15 08:32 AM
    I'll wait for the BlackBerry HUD corneal implant or a temporary contact lens type device, complimented with a star trek type communicator badge. Thus free up the hands and head.

I gave up wearing a watch as it made me feel 'bound to the constraints of time'. Life has been way more enjoyable living in the moment!

Passported from my consciousness to yours .
    04-26-15 08:33 AM
    I do not understand the appeal of 'smart' watches. I understand those that gather gather health data like heart beat beats per minute, blood pressure, distance covered, etc in a workout but otherwise.... Do not use my phone that much to tell time except for alarms and calendar reminders. Have a 31 year old Seiko on my left wrist and still doing what it was purchased for back then - can't see a 'smart' watch doing that.
    nglfmark likes this.
    04-26-15 08:49 AM
    Didn't BlackBerry already make a watch?
    04-26-15 08:53 AM
    Perhaps BlackBerry should make a watch for people who just really need to know the exact time and date and perhaps set an alarm and not all that other crap that people are trying to do with smartwatches.
    nglfmark likes this.
    04-26-15 09:55 AM
    To me knowing the time is very important and relying on something that needs to be recharged doesn't appeal to me. I rely on technology introduced in 1777 by Swiss watchmaker Abraham-Louis Perrelet, who invented a self-winding mechanism for pocket watches. Rolex improved it significantly for wrist watches in 1930. To this day that techonolgy works like a charm. As long as you can move, your watch will tell time and keep track of a number of other things, no charging, no batteries. Just think of the math and mechanics that went into making a mechanical watch accurate. Can't beat the beauty of it.
    04-26-15 10:05 AM
    I've owned two Rolex watches and neither one kept accurate time even after being serviced. They now reside in their boxes.

I currently use a Casio that charges using solar and listens to the ULF transmissions transmitted by an atomic clock in Colorado to reset the clock every night.

To me a watch is totally about telling time so accuracy is the most important thing.

T-Mobile  вιaсĸвεггч Passport Autoloaded 10.3.1.2582 Sachesi upgraded to 10.3.1.2729
    hamilgs and Jane23 like this.
    04-26-15 10:35 AM
    So true. The motorola big grey flip phone had only call on the display. Had my trustee seiko watch lol. Got a Nokia 8310 and have been watch free ever since. My watch with the dead battery is now only worn at some events
    04-26-15 10:50 AM
    I have an el-cheapo smart watch I got for Christmas because I wanted to try the smart watch thing. I tried it for about two days and I don't really understand the appeal. For me it's a combination of having to charge it daily as well as the fact it's kind of a crippled way to interface with a phone, on a tiny screen.

As for the Fitness tracking, they're kind of on par with the two devices I already have, my Garmin Vivofit and my Fitbit Flex.

When I truly want to monitor my fitness, I don't crave a wristband/smartphone combo anyway. The data gathered by my Polar HRM/GPS is far superior.

Probably the smart watch would appeal more to someone who didn't already have a whole drawer of GPS/HRM gadgets.

Posted via CB10
    04-26-15 11:23 AM
    To me knowing the time is very important and relying on something that needs to be recharged doesn't appeal to me. I rely on technology introduced in 1777 by Swiss watchmaker Abraham-Louis Perrelet, who invented a self-winding mechanism for pocket watches. Rolex improved it significantly for wrist watches in 1930. To this day that techonolgy works like a charm. As long as you can move, your watch will tell time and keep track of a number of other things, no charging, no batteries. Just think of the math and mechanics that went into making a mechanical watch accurate. Can't beat the beauty of it.
    Wholeheartedly agree!

Love all my Blackberries present and past. The one thing or should I say two things that don't need to be charged in order to tell me the time and date are my 1954 Oyster Perpetual Date and 1974 GMT Master which I still use daily since graduating high school which pretty much never comes off. (sleep, work, shower, swim *lake/ocean/pool*) My father got the 1954 one as a highschool grad gift from his mother and when I graduated highschool...he gave that one and his 74 GMT Master. He wanted to give me his President tried it but feel it's way too much bling for me so both the 54 and President are in the safety deposit box.

With that being said...don't think an Apple watch could ever go through what my GMT or even the 54 in terms of longevity and reliability. The GMT is scratched (the upper right hand corner) , glass is slightly cracked all due to the many, many years of wear and tear BUT it still tells me the date and time perfectly, still 100% waterproof and without ever needing to be charged.

If I need smartphone stuff/info...then I whip out my Passport.

 BlackBerry Passport on Telus Network
    allsportsfan likes this.
    04-26-15 12:01 PM
    Exactly. Deep Sea Divers have been using the Rolex Submariner and Sea Dweller for years. Tough as nails. A lot of underwater welders use the Sub because it's so tough and you can't afford to have a battery in a watch fail.

Posted via CB10
    04-26-15 12:25 PM
    Exactly. Deep Sea Divers have been using the Rolex Submariner and Sea Dweller for years. Tough as nails. A lot of underwater welders use the Sub because it's so tough and you can't afford to have a battery in a watch fail.

Posted via CB10
    Both damages was because I fell while rollerblading close to ten years ago.
    Rotating Pepsi Bezel and watch body scratched. This watch in particular is 100% stainless steel.

Blackberry Watch?-img_20150426_103207_edit.jpg

This one shows the crystal just below the triangle on the bezel is cracked.

Blackberry Watch?-img_20150426_103405_edit.jpg

Point...the watch still works (last maintenance was done in 1991) tells time and date, 100% waterproof as I still swim in the deep end of the Olympic pool with it and usually from time to time dive all the way to the bottom.

Again...all without having to be charged daily.

04-26-15 12:46 PM
    I wear this a lot. Swimming, washing the car, at the race track, golfing. Tough as a hammer, waterproof to 100 metres. No need for Blackberry to make watches. Making a Passport "Slim" might be a better idea.

04-26-15 04:35 PM
    I doubt it. As much as I love BlackBerry I don't see them making one unless that market booms. BlackBerry still needs to get there smartphone sales up. The biggest thing BlackBerry needs is money for marketing. Everyone I first meet things BlackBerry is dead or whatever but after a quick guide through BlackBerry 10 they're actually intrigued

Posted via CB10
    04-26-15 04:38 PM
    Companies differentiate themselves by being leaders not followers. Not that Blackberry is the leader that it once was, but Apple's got a watch and Samsung's got a watch. If Blackberry were to make a watch, they would simply be reacting and imitating instead of doing their own thing.

Blackberry phones are tools for work and the company should stay in its lane. Watches, and shoe pods, and all these other knickknacks will come and go.

-- Passport, VMO, Toronto CA
    04-26-15 04:46 PM
    If anything it would be good for Blackberry to focus on its products and make them tough, good to look at, reliable, secure. Stick to what made them famous. Make it so that the back case can be changed to change the look. Focus on Word, Excel, PPT and Adobe readability and reliability. Make it exclusive for business. Porsche sells fewer cars than most OEMS. They really don't care.

Posted via CB10
    anon9347040 likes this.
    04-26-15 06:15 PM
    ****, why did I read this, now I want a Rolex!
    FCSC likes this.
    04-26-15 10:33 PM
    The concept of smart watch shall be an extension of phone functions instead of replacement.

I could leave my Passport on desks, in backpack, in drawer or what not, yet when there are incoming calls, emails, messages, I could do some basic function(hang up phone, read messages, email summaries) . And then decide if it is necessary to take out the phone.

This is extremely useful during conference meetings when it may not be appropriate to take out the phone.

To each of its own.

MBFan-WHITE PASSPORT
    qphone and kekos like this.
    04-26-15 10:46 PM
    The concept of smart watch shall be an extension of phone functions instead of replacement.

I could leave my Passport on desks, in backpack, in drawer or what not, yet when there are incoming calls, emails, messages, I could do some basic function(hang up phone, read messages, email summaries) . And then decide if it is necessary to take out the phone.

This is extremely useful during conference meetings when it may not be appropriate to take out the phone.

To each of its own.

MBFan-WHITE PASSPORT
    I could understand the office meeting scenario but...it could be just the same when constantly looking at your smartwatch.

Your boss is talking and wants your undivided attention then he glances at you and says "is there something important right now or an appointment you have to be at since you're constantly looking at your watch?"

04-27-15 12:18 AM
59 123