Just watched Qualifying for Austrian Grand Prix, I didn't know that BlackBerry had stopped it's sponsorship with Mercedes, no wonder that people think BlackBerry is dead! If you don't advertise and push your company how do people(Customers)know about you then start producing rubbish Droid wannabes stick to what you do best, still get people asking what my Passport is "what is that! Is it a mini computer? " I tell them it's a BlackBerry "Oh do they still make phones? I thought they were dead or burst!?", "it's a great size that what's it called again? Who makes it", so there is still interest in the phone but they way Chen has destroyed from within with this Droid c***p, no advertising, pulling advertisement no wonder that BlackBerry is in such a mess.

Posted via my magical Passport with BB10 none of Droid rubbish!
    07-02-16 11:03 AM
    BB signed with Mercedes before they became dominant. Their original contract expired, and a new contract would obviously be much, much more expensive now that they dominate the sport.

You have to wonder if that would have been cost effective. But BB didn't "pull" anything. Their contract expired at the end of the 15 season.
    07-02-16 11:10 AM
    BB signed with Mercedes before they became dominant. Their original contract expired, and a new contract would obviously be much, much more expensive now that they dominate the sport.

You have to wonder if that would have been cost effective. But BB didn't "pull" anything. Their contract expired at the end of the 15 season.
    Obviously it would have cost more, but what I am saying is that if you have NO advertising and you can't see the name then then obviously know body will know that you are there so is it not better for the company if you keep the advertising for a while longer so you keep the name BlackBerry out there to be seen rather than letting it die or people thinking it is dead.

07-02-16 11:23 AM
    Obviously it would have cost more, but what I am saying is that if you have NO advertising and you can't see the name then then obviously know body will know that you are there so is it not better for the company if you keep the advertising for a while longer so you keep the name BlackBerry out there to be seen rather than letting it die or people thinking it is dead.
    The economics are different now wrt to advertising. I'm not saying they shouldn't advertise. I'm questioning whether sponsoring AMG Mercedes is an effective use of money. The fortunes of both BlackBerry and the Mercedes team are very different than they were in 2013.

Chen apparently agrees.
    07-02-16 11:35 AM
    BlackBerry paid something like $45 million for a three-year deal even before the dominant team wins so think about doubling the price for its current premier standing. Even if they could have extended the deal at the same price, selling 2 million phones per year would mean $7 dollars per phone would go directly to the Mercedes team. I think that's almost the same amount that Microsoft gets for all of the computing patents in every Android phone. Makes sense, doesn't it? You pay Microsoft $7 per smartphone for inventing the software in computers and Mercedes $7 per phone for putting "BlackBerry" on its stuff. Imagine if the receipt from your BlackBerry handset came itemized with those costs.

And, in hindsight, the use of BlackBerrys by Hamilton and other team members was a farce. They only used BlackBerrys for show. Think of all those PR articles about how BlackBerry technology was essential to the team - bought hook, line, and sinker around here.

It's not just the drivers who have to be on-message with sponsors. Until last season Blackberry was a Mercedes sponsor, which meant team members couldn't be seen to be using Apple's iPhones.

"Even the bosses had their iPhones in their back pocket," McGrory said. "Publicly they had to have their Blackberrys."
    app_Developer likes this.
    07-02-16 11:49 AM
    BlackBerry paid something like $45 million for a three-year deal even before the dominant team wins so think about doubling the price for its current premier standing. Even if they could have extended the deal at the same price, selling 2 million phones per year would mean $7 dollars per phone would go directly to the Mercedes team. I think that's almost the same amount that Microsoft gets for all of the computing patents in every Android phone. Makes sense, doesn't it? You pay Microsoft $7 per smartphone for inventing the software in computers and Mercedes $7 per phone for putting "BlackBerry" on its stuff. Imagine if the receipt from your BlackBerry handset came itemized with those costs.

And, in hindsight, the use of BlackBerrys by Hamilton and other team members was a farce. They only used BlackBerrys for show. Think of all those PR articles about how BlackBerry technology was essential to the team - bought hook, line, and sinker around here.
    It's was publicity, PR got the name out so yes it was worth the money in sponsorship and if you look just now how much publicity or PR is there just now? If you don't have the name out there then how do you expect the brand to grow and develop hence this is not good and why BlackBerry is in the way it is now.

07-02-16 02:22 PM
    Would rather watch paint dry on a Sunday afternoon than watch formula 1. Formula 1 was once enjoyable to watch. Now it's just disgusting.

As much as I hate watching cars going around in a circle, Nascar is much more enjoyable now. There are much better and more exciting motorsports out there than formula 1.

Posted via CB10
    07-03-16 12:41 AM
    I bought my Q10 in Australia because BlackBerry were advertising everywhere - mainly through billboards - if it wasn't for that campaign I would never have heard of the Q10.

I'm now a passport owner and the phone is an awesome piece of technology, but if I was just a Droid user I wouldn't have a clue about the benefits of the passport. I think that Chen should have advertised the passport to the max, knowing what a game changer the technology is contained within the device.

Posted via CB10
    Mark bb10 likes this.
    07-03-16 03:19 PM