Blackberry did a couple of things wrong....
    Really?
    02-23-16 03:42 PM
    So your hypothesis is that there are all sorts of goodies (multi-colored handsets, Formula 1 swag, cases, etc.) in the MWC BlackBerry booth but someone photoshopped them out and left only the Android Robot to make it look barren?
    I ran the picture through Pohsotohp and you can clearly see Elvis demoing the new features in BB11.
    02-23-16 04:33 PM
    Agree totally. If the product is really good, (smart) marketing will get it in the hands of consumers. You got to spend some dollars to get into consumer's minds!
    DreadPirateRegan likes this.
    02-23-16 04:36 PM
    There are so many bad decisions, but all of them relate to marketing. Why not spend money developing apps? When they had cash why didn't they advertise the Passport and build enough to sell good numbers when the hype was heaviest? (There was more hype for the Passport than the Priv.)

Who thought they could sell Android devices with no major marketing push?

Posted via CB10
    02-23-16 04:42 PM
    Blackbarian,lol, nice to hear from you. FYI I'm using BlackBerry devices since 2006. Currently my main device is the Passport. Using Z30 with my other sim card. I have also a Q10 ans Z10. My point is blackberry needs to evolve. If the decision is to evolve with droid, fine although I prefer bb10 and that's why I'm still using it.

I have bought a lumia 640XL for the weekend as it takes 2 sim cards. I have "Updated" its OS for wp10, but still far from what is BB10. Let the months go by and wait what's will happen with blackberry.

Posted via CB10
    Whatever wets your whistle man! I been with rim since AOL Pager, look that one up. Na ne nay n�e boo boo!
    02-23-16 04:53 PM
    Well I'm staying with the best, bb10. I will be buying the Passport as I come from Sammie and yes android apps update constantly or perhaps that really is data mining the android way. I love my leap and see the Passport as an alternative to a phablet or small tablet. Unfortunately my tablet is android and not as secure against all those android demons just waiting for you in Android land. I have the android yellow screen now on my tablet. Smartphones will last year's if not decades and I would rather stay with the best and spend my money on other things like fishing.

Posted via CB10
    02-23-16 05:21 PM
    Farewell in motion
    02-23-16 05:23 PM
    Nah, BBRY's not saying goodbye to BB10.......

There just going to ignore it and hope it crawls into a corner and dies quietly. This is a process they developed with the playbook and will now improve on with BB10 before releasing this perfected process on their handset business.

Thus positioning themselves as a 'software only' business - oh wait you need programmers/developers for that.....
    Heh. You mean developers who have some credible reason to believe that "it's different this time", and they're not going to be left high and dry again? LOL. Good luck with that, Chen.
    02-23-16 05:28 PM
    I've had two later version iphone's and used an android phone. Unfortunately, if BlackBerry abandons bb10, my Corp., will abandon and move to Windows phone. Our reasons are many and thought out to the needs of my staff and our security.
    Q10Bold likes this.
    02-23-16 05:41 PM
    The problem wasn't the OS -- it was the no marketing. The Priv couldn't sell anything without marketing either.

Chen either knew he was going to kill BB10 or was too tight-fisted in marketing it.

The "software business" was a pipe dream.

Posted via CB10
    I knew that once they introduced an Android device, it wasn't going to mean that they're turning around, rather they are admitting defeat and compromising their stance on security - and just for the sake of apps. Friggin' advertise! But oh well right?

While they have gotten better at releasing more on time, they still have issues with following through. They introduce and ditch products all too quickly. It's like they're looking for the next "get rich quick schemes" which never works and is just plain amateur.

I might as well start calling him Ralph Kramden from the Honeymooners.
    BigBrownBirdDog and Q10Bold like this.
    02-23-16 07:25 PM
    lol!!!
    02-23-16 07:52 PM
    Well damn, back to Apple :-(
    02-23-16 09:03 PM
    I hold out hope for the last day...
    02-23-16 10:50 PM
    I'm ready to move on. Just need them to release the Vienna first so I can make the move from the Q10 to Android more bearable.
    02-23-16 10:52 PM
    I'm ready to move on. Just need them to release the Vienna first so I can make the move from the Q10 to Android more bearable.
    Any plans on that date? If I was to buy an android it would also probably be code name vienna from the looks of it . Long as the screen is a wider one as in 3:2 but at least 4:3 which works with android well enough also it would be my secondary device for a very longtime as will be keeping this passport for as long as possible! Until the wheels fall off! Their famous keyboards coupled with wider rarer released screens Will be their best shot at the android world imo.
    02-24-16 01:17 AM
    This thread is full of Divination graduates who think they know what the future is. Devoted acolytes of Sybill Trelawney. Makes me laugh. Lotta groupthink going on here.

Y'all are about as brilliant as the sports pundits with their picks (NCAA brackets, Super Bowl victors, World Series matchups, etc.) or the political pundits who think they know who's going to win the next election.

The truth is... you don't know what's going to happen.

BlackBerry shed its marketshare YEARS ago, folks. You could argue BB lost its position and any hope of remaining a major player in the devices space before even Thorsten Heins took over. BB10 should have been introduced in 2011, not 2013. The company should not have released the PlayBook. It should have developed and released BB10 then instead. It would have made a much bigger splash and done so much for customer retention. The guys who founded the company and made it something big were the same ones who were in charge when everything fell apart. To say that Chen destroyed BB's handset business is laughable -- he barely inherited anything when he showed up!

Under Chen, BlackBerry has continued to release new devices, even though plenty of tech pundits predicted it wouldn't. I remember people around here saying the Z30 would be the last device BlackBerry would ever release. Hell, tech blogs were predicting the demise of the entire company in the fall of 2013! TechCrunch used to put up a picture of the BlackBerry logo turned sideways so it looked like a tombstone in a graveyard. They thought BB was done, done, done.

But here we are, two and a half years later. BlackBerry lives. It has come out with the Leap, the Classic, the Passport, and the Priv. The Z30 is amazingly still being sold by Verizon more than two years after being introduced because there is apparently a small but durable market for it. (At one point, VZW retired the Z30. But then they brought it back, and they apparently have no looming plans to retire it.)

Will BlackBerry come out with any more devices? I dunno. Unlike a lot of you in this thread, I don't pretend to know. I don't have a crystal ball. I can guess, speculate, and predict, I suppose, if I wished. But why should I?

BlackBerry 10 has matured to the point where even if its development has slowed, and even if it doesn't get new features, only bug fixes and security patches, it will be good enough for quite some time to come. The Android runtime certainly comes in handy for anyone who needs up-to-date apps, excluding those tied to Google Play services.

Eventually, of course, if BB10 is not updated, it will become obsolete. But it's a mature, stable OS; it can last for a while, and a lot longer than some of you seem to think, so long as receives a base level of maintenance.

BlackBerry definitely has incentive to continue maintaining BB10 for its government and security-conscious corporate customers -- those customers are not fickle consumers who care about app ecosystems and having new toys to carry around every six months.

With its purchases of companies like Good and AtHoc, BlackBerry has put down roots in the EMM segment. Enterprise software solutions, not devices, are already what analysts consider to be the company's bread and butter nowadays. There are opportunities in the IoT sphere, especially considering that IoT security is sod-all, and BlackBerry's core competency is security.

There are a certain number of people who will always want an alternative to the iOS/Android duopoly, and if BlackBerry can profitably cater to that crowd by releasing a handset or two a year, whether powered by BB10 or Android, it just might do so.

But who knows what's going to happen? NONE of you do. You don't have the ability to see into the future. You can pronounce BB10 dead if you want, but some of us will go on using it and ignore your silliness. You're just tech pundits hanging out in a forum shooting the breeze. And like pundits in any other field, your predictions are bound to be wrong a significant percentage of the time.
    02-24-16 03:27 AM
    Well written!

Posted via CB10
    02-24-16 04:03 AM
    Passport will be rolling out an Android OS Update soon...
    It is a matter of coherence... and it is technically feasible.
    02-24-16 09:13 AM
    Passport will be rolling out an Android OS Update soon...
    It is a matter of coherence... and it is technically feasible.
    You mean an update to the android runtime or replace bb10 with android?
    02-24-16 09:18 AM
    BlackBerry just sent the email to vendors that they have 'problems' with January payments and that we should expect the money 'early March'.
    BallRockReaper likes this.
    02-24-16 09:46 AM
    BlackBerry just sent the email to vendors that they have 'problems' with January payments and that we should expect the money 'early March'.
    Is this post supposed to be humorous?

Edit: wow your post is no joke !
    02-24-16 10:56 AM
    People feel it is dead because they can see the writing on the wall in Waterloo. The few android apps that you might want which do not require play services run slow as molasses on my Z10, that was not always the case and I doubt it will start to get better. Blackberry itself has stopped updating the bb10 apps: the twitter app cannot even show you a tweeted picture properly anymore.

The day is not far away where BB10 will basically be at the same level of functionality as BBOS7, just with an ok browser. It was great 3 years ago, so how much longer will it be 'ok'? Does anyone really think BB is working on serious updates to it? OS7 might still have a better unified inbox, depending on who you ask, so what's even the point of BB10 anymore if everyone is going to ignore it as well? Welcome to irrelevancy, hopefully what you have now will work for a long time cause it ain't going to change.
    Last edited by drrobert_Taco; 02-24-16 at 11:35 AM.
    02-24-16 11:18 AM
    I agree with you i don't understand the people saying "BB10 is dead, why are they still selling them". They sell them because BB10 phones are still relevant and will work for the forseeable future. I have a Z30 that is 2 years old and it works just fine still and is probably good for 3 more years.
    You are right most of those predicting Blackberry's future have been wrong. The leagues of anti-blackberry trolls on the internet seems to have died down, however part of this was probably the doing of Apple and/or Google. So the general sentiment against BB seems to have died down, as have the many short traders. For all intensive purposes Blackberry is here to stay in some form or another.
    What I often find short sited in the discussion of Devices and Blackberry is the lone discussion of Blackberry devices. The scope of those devices only includes phones and complaints about the Blackberry Playbook. As Blackberry said in the past they want to be a major player in M2M. This means connecting many devices of different kinds which are not just phones. The devices could be appliances, vehicles, phones, pacemakers or anything really. So Blackberry as a SOFTWARE company has multiple operating solutions for devices now. BB10 which is the most secure mobile OS available, with the highest certifications. They they also have a secure Android build that is not as secure as BB10 but would be a good lower cost solution for some companies. So consider a customer choosing the operating system to run on their devices (not necessarily phones.) and the level of security needed. The Blackberry MDM software can tie it all together, deploy updates and consolidated communications. Then you can layer it's other security products on top of your solutions.
    Additionally Android and BB10 use similar coding languages and development tools, making it very easy for the same developers to work on both OS. So things they do for one OS should be easily done on the other.
    Additionally Smartphones are at the end of their technology cycle. There is no real new innovations that are coming, just new enhancements, bells and whistles. The next wave of technology innovations we see will go beyond the smartphone that we see today and Blackberry appears to be poised for the next chapter in mobile communications.
    Apple being so device centric is struggling to find the next device that will take the place of the iPhone. It may be that device does not exist. In fact it may the OS and software will soon be running on any device not just smartphones. If you only think about BB phones and how things were in the past, you will never see the real future.
    tado261 likes this.
    02-24-16 11:39 AM
    BB10 sales are declining. 700K last Q. What percentage was to Enterprise? Maybe 10 %? Regardless, not enough to support any new devices.

Posted via CB10
    02-24-16 01:09 PM
    This won't happen I always believe blackberry always consider their user. Its just they need a right device that can compete os wise bb10 is still better than its closest rival Microsoft. Android is a platform that offers a lot customization and apps but that makes it a bit too cluttered. I use priv right now, simply because I'm a slider phone fan eversince the torch I hope BlackBerry will find a way to release a very competitive bb10 devices. that will offer unique UI functionality, advance camera(inc. Selfie cam and solid hardware. But I have to be honest this will be hard I wish they can offer something new in the table. And will stop the catching up game. I'm keeping my faith with bb10.
    02-24-16 01:16 PM
232 ... 45678 ...