the space bar is this tiny little button squeezed between the V and B key...
    Calling it a tiny little button is overly hyperbolic, it probably won't be quite as big as on say a q10, but given the larger size of this device, it should be more than large enough to be used comfortably.
    05-20-14 01:02 AM
    It will be interesting to see how that phones works out for BlackBerry. I think this emphasis on keyboards is going to be a disaster for BlackBerry.
    The issue for them right now is that users of other devices are not going to consider a high-end all-touch bb10 as it is going to be too much of a me-too device, this q30 may not appeal to everyone, but it is different enough an idea that it will stand out from the crowd and has the potential to get far more people to try it than a z50.

As far as their other devices, they have the classic and the lte z3 coming out, so the split at the more cost-effective end of the market will be even between keyboard and all-touch.
    05-20-14 01:06 AM
    And likely impossible, regardless of who it is. Not everyone can afford to upgrade at the same time; not everyone will upgrade at the same time; and contracts would have prevented many from doing so.

Do you think 50% of Apple's iPhone user base upgrades their hardware in a single year?
    Drop it to 25% then, that doesn't seem like an unreasonable target per year to convert from bb7 to bb10 and with other sales would have put them comfortably over 20 millions devices a year.
    05-20-14 01:09 AM
    Q30 won't alow me to type with only one hand right? doesn't seems like i can reach the full lenght of that keyboad's device with my thumb.
    Any phablet is sub-optimal for one-handed use, this will end up being just as true for a qwerty as it is for the all-touch ones.
    05-20-14 01:10 AM
    The development Q30 according to 10.3 has a qualcomm 800 but I believe we will be getting something "newer"
    I really wish people would not do this, talking themselves into thinking that a device will end up being higher spec than the already good ones that leaks seem to indicate, all it ends up doing is having people pissed off that a device doesn't have specs that it was never intended to have in the first place.
    05-20-14 01:14 AM
    And yes, incentives for legacy users is definitely a good idea. They have their emails from the BB ID's, they should email them an offer they cannot refuse, lol. Heck, they should sell them the phones at cost, get them into more hands, get more awareness out there, give app developers more incentive to make apps, and then hopefully do some marketing to get the rest of the public aware of their existence...
    Their approach now seems to be to focus on incentives for businesses to try out their newer bes software and bb10, convince them and have them drive volumes that way.

As far as individuals clinging to bb7, their main play seems to be the q20, giving those people back the toolbelt and with each new version of bb10 adding in some more of the minor missing bb7 features too because they are really not in the position to be selling stuff at cost, their chance to do that was when bb10 first launched and now they have to be cautious and build from a secure base like they did the first time round.
    05-20-14 01:21 AM
    Calling it a tiny little button is overly hyperbolic, it probably won't be quite as big as on say a q10, but given the larger size of this device, it should be more than large enough to be used comfortably.
    It's not the size in sheer measurement, it's how it is in relation to the rest of the keys that's important. There's a reason that on every keyboard in the world, the space bar is the largest key and extends under many columns of keys. It's because it's hit more times during a sentence than any other individual key so it has to be easy to reach no matter where your thumb was last before you need a space. So whether your last key stroke was on the right side of the keyboard or left side of the keyboard, the space bar is still within easy reach...
    05-20-14 01:47 AM
    We haven't even officially seen the device yet... let's wait on it before we make our judgment.

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.2141
    05-20-14 02:07 AM
    We haven't even officially seen the device yet... let's wait on it before we make our judgment.
    Indeed, it is far too early to be getting in a panic over this stuff when nothing has leaked yet except a few blurry pics, the reality is that almost all these devices look vastly better later on when we see proper pics and the actual devices in action.
    05-20-14 02:19 AM
    the space bar placement on the keyboard is something that bothers me, i'm wondering if that space bar between "B" and "V" is not going to become a really bad habbit when i swap to a computer. Thats my biggest concern about this new "revolucionary" keyboard.. i'm affraid this might happen with such design.
    05-20-14 04:24 AM
    I never respected the Q30 hype. Just because they left the "symbol" keys. So no chance for me. And knowing that the Q20 is cummin' out, I always skipped those news.

But now I saw some nice renderings, cases and interesting posts. So Blackberry will bring out 2 keyboard devices, according to Chen? The Q20 and Q30?

The Q20 is what I will buy in a heartbeat. New stuff, tool belt: A true BB device. But this Q30 seems interesting. I like that it's wide and large. A true Big Timer. And it must the next evolution of the Q10, right?

It will be interesting, how you will master typing on that Windemere device.

I hold both devices now. Z30 and Q10. Q10 is retired because I use the Z30. This year will be exiting!
    05-20-14 04:53 AM
    I never respected the Q30 hype. Just because they left the "symbol" keys. So no chance for me. And knowing that the Q20 is cummin' out, I always skipped those news.

But now I saw some nice renderings, cases and interesting posts. So Blackberry will bring out 2 keyboard devices, according to Chen? The Q20 and Q30?

The Q20 is what I will buy in a heartbeat. New stuff, tool belt: A true BB device. But this Q30 seems interesting. I like that it's wide and large. A true Big Timer. And it must the next evolution of the Q10, right?

It will be interesting, how you will master typing on that Windemere device.

I hold both devices now. Z30 and Q10. Q10 is retired because I use the Z30. This year will be exiting!
    Actually, they said 4 new devices and only one without a keyboard. So actually, look out for 3 keyboard devices this year, Q20, Q30, and who knows what other device. Slider?? ;-)

Posted without the aid of AutoCorrect with my physical keyboard via CB10
    05-20-14 05:07 AM
    Actually, they said 4 new devices and only one without a keyboard. So actually, look out for 3 keyboard devices this year, Q20, Q30, and who knows what other device. Slider?? ;-)

I wish it was a slider I would buy it in a heartbeat! but it'll probably be a porsche design keyboard device (q10 possibly)

Posted via CB10
    05-20-14 05:23 AM

I really hope it isn't a slider. I don't want to see BlackBerry falling even further into the category of a niche only manufacturer.

Posted using my Z10 via CB10
    Last edited by crazigee; 05-20-14 at 11:10 AM.
    JCMM likes this.
    05-20-14 09:14 AM
    I'm not sure exactly who is supposed to buy the Q30, but I'm always interested in new, innovative smartphone designs. At least the phone's specs are interesting and give me hope that the Z50 can be beefed up to be a match for where other flagships are when it eventually hits market.

Here's hoping that the Q30 is a beast and that the high specs, if they are delivered, reflect a permanent shift in attitude about the necessity and desirability of hardware parity.

Posted via Z-10 100-3 running10.3.0.296/442 hybrid
    05-20-14 09:20 AM
    At least the phone's specs are interesting and give me hope that the Z50 can be beefed up to be a match for where other flagships are when it eventually hits market.
    I hope you're right. Hopefully they don't wait to long with the next flagship touch. All of these keyboard phones only risk pushing them further into a niche only category.

05-20-14 11:15 AM
    I really hope it isn't a slider. I don't want to see BlackBerry falling even further into the category of a niche only manufacturer.

I personally don't care for sliders, it's an extra step to get to the keyboard in my opinion. But it seems there are others who do wish to have one as any mention of one or the possibility of one seems to get support. So for that reason, I wouldn't mind if they make one to satisfy that group. Even if it's a small group they could just make a limited production of them and only sell them through their website. The people who want something that specific will not need them to be in stores to persuade them to buy one...
    05-20-14 02:32 PM
    I personally don't care for sliders, it's an extra step to get to the keyboard in my opinion. But it seems there are others who do wish to have one as any mention of one or the possibility of one seems to get support. So for that reason, I wouldn't mind if they make one to satisfy that group. Even if it's a small group they could just make a limited production of them and only sell them through their website. The people who want something that specific will not need them to be in stores to persuade them to buy one...
    Limited production sounds like a sensible approach to limit costs, but it completely overlooks all the costs involved in developing a product before it could get to the point of going into production, to cover these costs any new device has to have at least a certain amount of expected sales to cover these fixed costs.

This is probably the reason why they pushed back the high end all touch model too.
    05-20-14 08:04 PM
    Limited production sounds like a sensible approach to limit costs, but it completely overlooks all the costs involved in developing a product before it could get to the point of going into production, to cover these costs any new device has to have at least a certain amount of expected sales to cover these fixed costs.

This is probably the reason why they pushed back the high end all touch model too.
    I just want a high-end fixed qwerty device with a tool belt. If the Q20 turns out to be a "mid-range" device I would be a bit sad...

05-20-14 08:19 PM
    I just keep seeing this cases all around and i'm wondering if this will be the final design for the Q30:

Last edited by JCMM; 05-21-14 at 04:55 PM.
    smart548 likes this.
    05-21-14 04:38 PM
    I just keep seeing this cases all around and i'm wondering if this will be the final design for the Q30:

http://i01.i.aliimg.com/img/pb/690/6...641690_395.jpg
    http://i00.i.aliimg.com/img/pb/700/6...641700_264.jpg
    http://i00.i.aliimg.com/img/pb/708/6...641708_301.jpg
    Yeap pretty much!

Signature - Google wants your info. What are you gonna do about it?
    05-21-14 05:14 PM
    I just want a high-end fixed qwerty device with a tool belt. If the Q20 turns out to be a "mid-range" device I would be a bit sad...

I would imagine the Q20 being geared towards enterprise and business rather than playing games.

Why would you want a high end qwerty with a toolbelt for?

05-21-14 05:17 PM
    I would imagine the Q20 being geared towards enterprise and business rather than playing games.

Why would you want a high end qwerty with a toolbelt for?

Having a fast processor gives you much more benefits than simply playing games... If everything is a bit faster, then you get things done faster, spend less time on the phone. How productive are you when you're spending half your time waiting for the phone to catch up to you?

05-21-14 05:31 PM
    Having a fast processor gives you much more benefits than simply playing games... If everything is a bit faster, then you get things done faster, spend less time on the phone. How productive are you when you're spending half your time waiting for the phone to catch up to you?

My q10 is fast enough to handle anything I throw at it. 4-5 open active frames, browsing, CB10, email, BBM, whatsapp and music at the same time no problems.

05-21-14 05:37 PM

Dont get me wrong im just asking. The Q30 will get the quad core 2.1ghz snapdragon 800 same as the SGN 3.

Thats good enough for anything no? No tool belt though.

05-21-14 05:39 PM
138 ... 23456