Man,if people are unaware of BlackBerry 10 phones it's purely lack of effective marketing. I am not talking about general public. I am talking about the legacy users. I personally have used bold series for 3 years. I just can't imagine how buggy it was especially 9900.I still don't understand how people are using those devices which everytime require the battery pull and stuff like that.

Can't you see the legacy users of 78+ million a year before. Why can't BlackBerry come up with a promotional discounted offer for legacy devices to upgrade to BlackBerry 10.

They should showcase ,advertise,promote the strength of BlackBerry 10 as a platform in contrast to legacy OS rather that listening to people like you who write theories. Again to stay on topic if q30 is a path breaking device its gotta be marketed well.

Posted from my Black Beast Q10
    I think the question is how would it be best to market BB10 to Legacy users. Somehow they have to get them onto BB10. It seeing to get that advertising to the consumer market as a whole isn't going to work because it doesn't specifically target the Legacy users.

I think a trade in of some type might work. The problem is ensuring that people don't trade in old legacy devices that they don't currently use, just to get a BB10 device. They have to set it up such that the number of the BB10 users shows a net increase while the number of Legacy devices shows a net decrease.

As I said up above, I think it is seriously going to hurt BB10 to do the second run on the 9900. They should be focused on BB10.

Posted using my Z10 via CB10
    05-19-14 05:37 AM
    BlackBerry has never had much experience with marketing. Remember that they have always been carrier depended and enterprise driven.

They may have had a slight change of mind with the Z10 in the beginning but now they have a new focus.

Lets just see how it pans out.

Remember a few months back there was a rumor on CB about an octacore 64 bit phone coming out this september?

Well, its looking like the Q30 is coming out with 10.3 aimed at september, and I do believe we have at least a couple of big surprises waiting in store for us.

Im getting all of this just from the sheer secrecy surrounding this device.

I do think it will get the world attention. At least in a small sense and convert back from users from ios and android.

BB10 - call blocking please, BBM - too many to list
    05-19-14 06:28 AM
    Remember a few months back there was a rumor on CB about an octacore 64 bit phone coming out this september?

Well, its looking like the Q30 is coming out with 10.3 aimed at september, and I do believe we have at least a couple of big surprises waiting in store for us.
    What sort of surprises are you thinking? Other devices or surprises within the Q30?

05-19-14 07:15 AM
    What sort of surprises are you thinking? Other devices or surprises within the Q30?

Hey crazigee, we already know that bla1ze and those guys at N4BB have already seen the device but they probably had to sign a NDA. They are both excited about the product and if you read between the lines. There is more than what they are able to say.

I think that not only are we getting a really beautiful screen. 450dpi is quite incredible.

They use the word "revolutionary" when describing the keyboard. I dont think they were talking just about the keyboard being touch sensitive and are gestureable. I think there may be more than that.

The development Q30 according to 10.3 has a qualcomm 800 but I believe we will be getting something "newer" ;-)

The device is more ready than we've been lead on. I mean even 3rd party accessory makers have final products made.

05-19-14 08:32 AM
    I think by the end of the month, we might be able to receive an update on this.

Posted via CB10
    05-19-14 12:05 PM
    Specs means little to most who don't know what the specs do. :-) Yes, a lot of nerds on these forums like them ... and a substantially smaller number can legitimately point to demonstrateable benefits of the specs they clamour for ... but I bet most Smartphone buyers don't know or care what the specs do.

I'd wager the perceived lack of apps, the perceived lack of cool factor and the perceived fear that BlackBerry is going out of business has so much more impact on the decision making process than "specs" and "marketing"
    When I said specs, what I was referring to is the way people who don't know how operating systems and hardware work, only look to see what has the highest/biggest numbers. A blackberry 10 phone could run as smooth a new born babies bowel movement with less "high end" specs, but it wont matter if the phone next to it in the store is boasting 2 or even 3 times the power.
    05-19-14 01:07 PM
    Hey crazigee, we already know that bla1ze and those guys at N4BB have already seen the device but they probably had to sign a NDA. They are both excited about the product and if you read between the lines. There is more than what they are able to say.

I think that not only are we getting a really beautiful screen. 450dpi is quite incredible.

They use the word "revolutionary" when describing the keyboard. I dont think they were talking just about the keyboard being touch sensitive and are gestureable. I think there may be more than that.

The development Q30 according to 10.3 has a qualcomm 800 but I believe we will be getting something "newer" ;-)

The device is more ready than we've been lead on. I mean even 3rd party accessory makers have final products made.

Personally I'm liking the moves BlackBerry has been doing. The Z3 will be a hit even once it gets LTE, legacy device owners will have the Q20, the Z50 is still a go for early next year. If mid to late 2015 bring a Z10, PlayBook and slider replacement then BlackBerry would have a full selection once again. As long as BlackBerry become and continue to be profitable then the goodies can continue.

Posted via Z30
    05-19-14 02:06 PM
    Personally I'm liking the moves BlackBerry has been doing. The Z3 will be a hit even once it gets LTE, legacy device owners will have the Q20, the Z50 is still a go for early next year. If mid to late 2015 bring a Z10, PlayBook and slider replacement then BlackBerry would have a full selection once again. As long as BlackBerry become and continue to be profitable then the goodies can continue.

Posted via Z30
    I hope that we don't have to wait until mid to late 2015 for the next high end touch device. I think that's too long a wait. By then many touch users will be looking at other options.

05-19-14 02:13 PM
    I hope that we don't have to wait until mid to late 2015 for the next high end touch device. I think that's too long a wait. By then many touch users will be looking at other options.

If all goes well with the Z3 I think you'll see a full touch around march/april. Same time as the galaxy S6 comes out.

05-19-14 02:16 PM
    how do you think Q30 will perform with apps designed to run 16.9? we will be able to see the entire canvas surrouded by black bars or it will crop the canvas in order to use every pixel in the screen like it does on the Q10?
    05-19-14 02:30 PM
    If all goes well with the Z3 I think you'll see a full touch around march/april. Same time as the galaxy S6 comes out.

I hope you're right. March or April will be a bit of a long wait, but probably not too long.

If BlackBerry are going to release the device around the same time as the GS6 they really need to be sure that it will compete on specs. No more of this "it's good enough" stuff. That won't fly.

05-19-14 02:32 PM
    I hope you're right. March or April will be a bit of a long wait, but probably not too long.

If BlackBerry are going to release the device around the same time as the GS6 they really need to be sure that it will compete on specs. No more of this "it's good enough" stuff. That won't fly.

A good indication if the next full touch is going to be a screamer is to pay close attention to the Q30.

And ive got a good feeling about the Q30.

05-19-14 02:38 PM
    how do you think Q30 will perform with apps designed to run 16.9? we will be able to see the entire canvas surrouded by black bars or it will crop the canvas in order to use every pixel in the screen like it does on the Q10?
    This is quite hard to say. The Q30 is almost definitely getting that 1:1 screen. I use my Q10 as a daily driver so I know what you're talking about those annoying android apps which dont fit on screen properly.

Android apps are coded to adjust to various sizes, 16:9, 15:9 and 4:3 seems to be the popular ones. 4:3 is closest to 1:1 which im thinking would be a decent display ratio for the Q30 given it large 4.5 inch screen. If this happens expect black bars on either side though.

Which would you prefer?

05-19-14 02:43 PM
    And there it is again. I guess you couldn't point to a time in this thread when I said marketing wasn't a factor.

So let's just pretend that you know what talking about.

I don't have time to engage with people that want to argue with themselves instead of having valid discussion around different points of merit. It's clear you're just going to make things up so you can feel validated.

Actually, I just kind of find it entertaining how you strive to get the last word in. For this, I've been intentionally replying to you with pretty much pointless replies just to see you react. Sorry, social experimenting is something I love doing. Since apparently you want to dismiss all of the anecdotal evidence I've given due to all of the complete no evidence you've given... The thing is, you can't statistically "prove" either of our arguments. But I've at least put in the attempt by asking dozens and dozens of people what their knowledge on these matters are. And yes, you can argue that I must live on some other planet so all of these people do not represent the general public, but at least I got something, and that is a VERY strong pattern that points to something. Your argument is that marketing isn't a major factor based on "because you said so."

So yes, nearly 100% of the dozens and dozens of people I've asked about this topic has no clue about BB10 as a new OS with new devices (literally only about 2 or 3 does know), that's just a coincidence since apparently I've only spoken to weird odd people that do not at all represent the general population... And all of the 100% of them, even the few that knew about it, never tried one. So somehow, they all decided against BB because they "knew" how bad of phones they were yet they didn't even know they existed? Somehow this doesn't quite make sense to me. But alright man, you "win" I live on a different planet, your "because you said so" is more hard evidence than the probably 50+ people I've asked about this between the placed I frequent (Florida, Illinois, and California) and those online from other parts of the country, count for nothing.

So yes, I've gotten my chuckles from you already, you definitely can get the last word in now, I promise. :-P

Posted without the aid of AutoCorrect with my physical keyboard via CB10
    05-19-14 03:03 PM
    Man,if people are unaware of BlackBerry 10 phones it's purely lack of effective marketing. I am not talking about general public. I am talking about the legacy users. I personally have used bold series for 3 years. I just can't imagine how buggy it was especially 9900.I still don't understand how people are using those devices which everytime require the battery pull and stuff like that.

Can't you see the legacy users of 78+ million a year before. Why can't BlackBerry come up with a promotional discounted offer for legacy devices to upgrade to BlackBerry 10.

They should showcase ,advertise,promote the strength of BlackBerry 10 as a platform in contrast to legacy OS rather that listening to people like you who write theories. Again to stay on topic if q30 is a path breaking device its gotta be marketed well.

Posted from my Black Beast Q10
    I agree man, it seems that nobody is aware these new phones exist. You can argue all day and night about how good or bad they are, but until people know they are there and try them for themselves or at least see all of the features, it's hard for BB to get out of this situation. They could release the best phone in the world tomorrow and it wouldn't make a difference because to the people it wouldn't exist... And yes, incentives for legacy users is definitely a good idea. They have their emails from the BB ID's, they should email them an offer they cannot refuse, lol. Heck, they should sell them the phones at cost, get them into more hands, get more awareness out there, give app developers more incentive to make apps, and then hopefully do some marketing to get the rest of the public aware of their existence...

05-19-14 03:09 PM
    This is quite hard to say. The Q30 is almost definitely getting that 1:1 screen. I use my Q10 as a daily driver so I know what you're talking about those annoying android apps which dont fit on screen properly.

Android apps are coded to adjust to various sizes, 16:9, 15:9 and 4:3 seems to be the popular ones. 4:3 is closest to 1:1 which im thinking would be a decent display ratio for the Q30 given it large 4.5 inch screen. If this happens expect black bars on either side though.

Which would you prefer?

There are quite a few android apps that would not scroll, so parts of the screen are completely covered and there's no way to get to them on the Q10's screen. Kind of annoying. I kind of wish there was an option to run them in a different aspect ratio and allow zooming in and out on a system level so the app doesn't know the difference...

The Big Picture likes this.
    05-19-14 03:14 PM

Which would you prefer?

I believe that 4:3 would be nice because will give us a bit more screen size for media and browser and at the same time give us more compability with all those app's layout out there.

I don't mind a 1:1 ratio screen as long as it allow
    us to fully enjoy all apps, even if it means we will get black bars on eighter sides
    05-19-14 03:25 PM
    There are quite a few android apps that would not scroll, so parts of the screen are completely covered and there's no way to get to them on the Q10's screen. Kind of annoying. I kind of wish there was an option to run them in a different aspect ratio and allow zooming in and out on a system level so the app doesn't know the difference...

Hopefully the final 10.3 brings us qwerty 1:1 screen cursed people some options on viewing those damned screen-incompatible android apps.

05-19-14 03:27 PM
    Hopefully the final 10.3 brings us qwerty 1:1 screen cursed people some options on viewing those damned screen-incompatible android apps.

BlackBerry can do it. They've done software tricks before. Z3 is compatible with nearly all Z30 apps. And people were expecting different because of its lower resolution.

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.2141
    05-19-14 03:45 PM
    I find myself hoping they've made something interesting and useful out of the screen *aaaaalmost but not quite* fitting two full 16:9 views without padding or cropping, and having the resolution to do this with views from current BB10 devices (bar the 15:9 Z10) *without scaling*.

I am certainly warming up to the idea of a square display surface, as long as it is large enough:
    16:9 video with the controls available at all times, rather than as an overlay? -Don't mind if I do.
    Page reading on a surface that can fit the full page width, without becoming microscopic, whilst being neither superflously tall, nor the slim slit of a letterbox, vertically. -Sounds fine to me -- especially if the keyboard can double as a scroll bar (single axis scrolling as far as possible, please).
    Maybe it strikes an even better ergonomic balance between viewport "keyhole" size, and avoiding the device becoming top heavy, than the good old 4:3... maybe.

One could also speculate on what sort of supplementary input widgets (...complementing the keyboard) we might see in space unused by an app.

Preferrably, of course, any GUI should be designed to reflow well, automatically, across a variety of view aspect ratios and physical sizes, but as it is, alas; with current conventions and suggested toolkits, we're still tied to hardcoding to specific devices and pixels.
    05-19-14 03:51 PM
    BlackBerry can do it. They've done software tricks before. Z3 is compatible with nearly all Z30 apps. And people were expecting different because of its lower resolution.

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.2141
    I thought the Z30 and the Z3 had the same resolution screen.

05-19-14 03:59 PM
    I thought the Z30 and the Z3 had the same resolution screen.

Z3 is upscaled, the screen resolution is in fact 540 x 960.

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.2141
    05-19-14 05:55 PM
    Z3 is upscaled, the screen resolution is in fact 540 x 960.

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.2141
    Interesting. Thanks the info.

05-19-14 08:49 PM
    Wasn't our first thought that the Q20 would release before the Q30?
    While the q20 was officially confirmed sooner, the reverse is true for the leaks with so far nothing having been seen of the q20 and leaks tend to be a better indicator of when stuff will be launching.
    05-20-14 12:47 AM
    I'm just hoping that this "new" keyboard won't become the norm. Hopefully they have a high-end device coming out with the standard keyboard as well. Have both as an option to satisfy those of you who think that is a "cool" idea and those like me who prefer the standard keyboard layout...
    Realistically, this will be it for high-end models for this year, their focus is mostly on producing devices that businesses will buy in bulk so that will be things like the classic and the lte z3.

Personally, I think this device will end up being a more extreme version of the too early leak scenario, people always hate on the first leaks of devices but then once they see good photos or the device in action then they are readily converted.

I also think you are doing BB a disservice with your doubting that they will not consider the issues with this keyboard, they get many things wrong over the years they tend to do really well with their keyboards. Rather than your doom and gloom scenario for the keyboard, maybe what we will see is that we automatically get a symbol and number row whenever we are using a text field and it just vanishes to save space when not needed to maximise the available screen real estate.
    05-20-14 12:58 AM
138 12345 ...