1. world traveler and former ceo's Avatar
    Just want a high end BlackBerry phone with the old bold 9900 keyboard!!

And decent camera!!! Is that too much to ask!?

Z10,z30, Q10...owner

Posted via CB10
    Tim Heard likes this.
    05-17-14 07:26 PM
    lack of specs and marketing.
    Wow. It's the old marketing blame game.

Posted using my Z10 via CB10
    05-17-14 07:36 PM
    Wow. It's the old marketing blame game.

Yah, it has nothing to do with that. That totally explains why the majority of people have no clue that BB10 is a completely new OS and the new devices are not the "old and outdated" legacy devices...

Posted without the aid of AutoCorrect with my physical keyboard via CB10
    05-17-14 11:13 PM
    Yah, it has nothing to do with that. That totally explains why the majority of people have no clue that BB10 is a completely new OS and the new devices are not the "old and outdated" legacy devices...

Marketing is a part of why BB10 isn't successful but also has to do with the phones being released late and under delivering. The fact that the OS wasn't great when it was released is another major part.

The issue is why BlackBerry was in so much trouble in the first place. A big part of that is their refusal to accept that touch screens were what people wanted, and that keyboards were only a small niche market.

05-17-14 11:42 PM
    Marketing is a part of why BB10 isn't successful but also has to do with the phones being released late and under delivering. The fact that the OS wasn't great when it was released is another major part.

The issue is why BlackBerry was in so much trouble in the first place. A big part of that is their refusal to accept that touch screens were what people wanted, and that keyboards were only a small niche market.

Most people who discount BB has never even tried the device. Seriously, go ask 20 people in the street if they've seriously tried a BB10 device. I'll be surprised if you find more than 1. Now tell me how the phones' performance is the major factor in that if people haven't even tried one. The fact is, most people don't even know BB10 is a new platform. If you ask them about BB, they still think it's the old legacy system that wasn't able to run any kind of media... The marketing is non-existent. While Samsung pays the most for marketing and now have the highest market share. And how you think that isn't a major factor baffles me... Please email Samsung and tell them to stop wasting their money...
    05-18-14 12:11 AM
    Most people who discount BB has never even tried the device. Seriously, go ask 20 people in the street if they've seriously tried a BB10 device. I'll be surprised if you find more than 1. Now tell me how the phones' performance is the major factor in that if people haven't even tried one. The fact is, most people don't even know BB10 is a new platform. If you ask them about BB, they still think it's the old legacy system that wasn't able to run any kind of media... The marketing is non-existent. While Samsung pays the most for marketing and now have the highest market share. And how you think that isn't a major factor baffles me... Please email Samsung and tell them to stop wasting their money...
    Samsung has some top notch products.

BlackBerry has devices that over promised and under delivered. And I don't need to ask anyone because I AM a user of said BlackBerry devices.

Marketing the mediocre BlackBerry devices would be a waste. First they need to release an industry leading device.

05-18-14 12:41 AM
    Samsung has some top notch products.

BlackBerry has devices that over promised and under delivered. And I don't need to ask anyone because I AM a user of said BlackBerry devices.

Marketing the mediocre BlackBerry devices would be a waste. First they need to release an industry leading device.

Don't worry, I've done your homework for you. They could have released the best product in the world or the worst product in the world, it would have made no difference because NOBODY BOTHERED TO EVEN TRY THEM. I've asked plenty of people, pretty much every time the topic of phones comes up, I would ask that, and so far, I haven't met a single person who has actually tried using a BB10 phone, most of them don't even know they have a new OS and new phones...

Edit: And there are phones with better specs than Samsungs, and yet, the Samsungs outsell them. I wonder why. Again, tell Samsung to stop wasting their money since marketing doesn't play a major role...
    05-18-14 01:18 AM
    NOBODY BOTHERED TO EVEN TRY THEM
    For most people a phone is a bit enough purchase that they aren't going to just randomly try something to see if they like it. Most people have phones on a contract, so if they don't like the phone they are stuck with it for years.

To get people to "try" BB10 BlackBerry would have to have at least had something outstanding about the phone that would draw people to it. They didn't. The reviews of the Z10 when released were not overly positive. Certainly not enough to get people to switch away from platform or OS that they know and like.

The other issue is that the OS was not where it should have been when released. It should have been at 10.2.1. That was a problem.

I've asked plenty of people
    That's not a random sampling from which you can extrapolate to conclude that the whole population is the same.

I agree with you that anecdotal evidence suggests that people aren't well informed on BlackBerry products. I'm not sure that this has anything to do with marketing or not. I think that it is unrealistic to expect people to know about a product that they aren't interested in.

Edit: And there are phones with better specs than Samsungs, and yet, the Samsungs outsell them. I wonder why. Again, tell Samsung to stop wasting their money since marketing doesn't play a major role...
    Nobody is arguing that marketing is a factor, so give it a rest with the call Samsung. That's just a cop out. What I am saying is marketing was not necessarily the major factor.

What evidence do you have that marketing is the "major" factor in Samsung's success? In what scientific way have you eliminated other factors so that you can show a causal relationship between marketing and product success?

More importantly what scientific evidence do you have that BB10 would have been a success with more marketing?

05-18-14 04:31 AM
    For most people a phone is a bit enough purchase that they aren't going to just randomly try something to see if they like it. Most people have phones on a contract, so if they don't like the phone they are stuck with it for years.

To get people to "try" BB10 BlackBerry would have to have at least had something outstanding about the phone that would draw people to it. They didn't. The reviews of the Z10 when released were not overly positive. Certainly not enough to get people to switch away from platform or OS that they know and like.

The other issue is that the OS was not where it should have been when released. It should have been at 10.2.1. That was a problem.

That's not a random sampling from which you can extrapolate to conclude that the whole population is the same.

I agree with you that anecdotal evidence suggests that people aren't well informed on BlackBerry products. I'm not sure that this has anything to do with marketing or not. I think that it is unrealistic to expect people to know about a product that they aren't interested in.

Nobody is arguing that marketing is a factor, so give it a rest with the call Samsung. That's just a cop out. What I am saying is marketing was not necessarily the major factor.

What evidence do you have that marketing is the "major" factor in Samsung's success? In what scientific way have you eliminated other factors so that you can show a causal relationship between marketing and product success?

More importantly what scientific evidence do you have that BB10 would have been a success with more marketing?

WOW, so how is someone supposed to "know" if a phone is worth trying? And I don't mean you have to buy a phone to try one. You are proving my point when you say a phone purchase is a big purchase, which in my mind means it requires a lot of research, while for you it seems to point to people buying whatever the sales person tells them is the coolest?? This makes sense to you? Before I buy anything, I try everything. If not in a store, I find friends with different devices and I ask to use it for a good while. I ask to see how the process is to do different functions, before that I read around or watch videos of these devices. My point is that pretty much every one I've asked, have done NONE of these things. And yes, it's anecdotal, but when it's 100% or close to it, should I assume that I somehow stumbled upon dozens of people who represent a minority of people?? You're going to tell me that somehow the rest of the population is nothing like everyone I've met and spoken to? Man, there must be something in the water in this part of my country and in the other parts I've visited.

And no, there's no scientific evidence that marketing would have made them a success, but it's pretty clear that marketing would have at least made people aware. Literally all but maybe 2 or 3 people still think BB's are these old devices that can't run videos or games. Nobody even knows there's a new OS built from QNX and not based on their old OS. You're telling me that marketing wouldn't have changed that? How do people know about the new features of Samsung phones? OH RIGHT! Marketing!! I know because while most people can't even name me a feature on their phone, the ones that do state features that the latest commercials featured (yes, must be a coincidence I know) and to further this, they are often not even new features, either other phones have also had them or even older Samsungs had them, but because the commercials are just now blasting about them, these people boast about them like they are new advances.

But yes, marketing has nothing to do with that, it is all a big coincidence. I run into, met, and know a bunch of people who are complete individuals and in no way represent the majority view of the rest of the people. I forgot I lived on a different planet, my bad man...

05-18-14 03:34 PM
    WOW, so how is someone supposed to "know" if a phone is worth trying? And I don't mean you have to buy a phone to try one. You are proving my point when you say a phone purchase is a big purchase, which in my mind means it requires a lot of research, while for you it seems to point to people buying whatever the sales person tells them is the coolest?? This makes sense to you? Before I buy anything, I try everything. If not in a store, I find friends with different devices and I ask to use it for a good while. I ask to see how the process is to do different functions, before that I read around or watch videos of these devices. My point is that pretty much every one I've asked, have done NONE of these things. And yes, it's anecdotal, but when it's 100% or close to it, should I assume that I somehow stumbled upon dozens of people who represent a minority of people?? You're going to tell me that somehow the rest of the population is nothing like everyone I've met and spoken to? Man, there must be something in the water in this part of my country and in the other parts I've visited.

And no, there's no scientific evidence that marketing would have made them a success, but it's pretty clear that marketing would have at least made people aware. Literally all but maybe 2 or 3 people still think BB's are these old devices that can't run videos or games. Nobody even knows there's a new OS built from QNX and not based on their old OS. You're telling me that marketing wouldn't have changed that? How do people know about the new features of Samsung phones? OH RIGHT! Marketing!! I know because while most people can't even name me a feature on their phone, the ones that do state features that the latest commercials featured (yes, must be a coincidence I know) and to further this, they are often not even new features, either other phones have also had them or even older Samsungs had them, but because the commercials are just now blasting about them, these people boast about them like they are new advances.

But yes, marketing has nothing to do with that, it is all a big coincidence. I run into, met, and know a bunch of people who are complete individuals and in no way represent the majority view of the rest of the people. I forgot I lived on a different planet, my bad man...

So basically you have no response to my previous post. You're just going to continue to say that it's all marketing, because you think it is.

OK. We'll just leave it at that then.

05-18-14 06:00 PM
    So basically you have no response to my previous post. You're just going to continue to say that it's all marketing, because you think it is.

OK. We'll just leave it at that then.

Yes, that's what I said in all of those responses, LMAO! No worries man, I'll let you pretend like you "won" something. :-)

05-18-14 06:31 PM
    Yes, that's what I said in all of those responses, LMAO! No worries man, I'll let you pretend like you "won" something. :-)

That is what you said. I asked for evidence and you replied that you have none.

05-18-14 07:19 PM
    That is what you said. I asked for evidence and you replied that you have none.

To match all of the evidence you have that marketing wasn't a factor? Yah man, you got me there. ;-)

05-19-14 02:54 AM
    To match all of the evidence you have that marketing wasn't a factor? Yah man, you got me there. ;-)

Can you read? I'd love for you to tell me where I said market wasn't a factor!

Marketing is a part of why BB10 isn't successful
    Nobody is arguing that marketing is a factor... What I am saying is marketing was not necessarily the major factor.
    Despite the fact that I've never said marketing wasn't a factor you keep saying that I have and then arguing that point. It's obvious that the reason you're doing that is because you have no evidence that it was the "major" factor in the lack of success for BB10.

So it's me that's LMAO.
    05-19-14 03:43 AM
    ?A man who stops advertising to save money is like a man who stops a clock to save time?

If BlackBerry is here to do business they will have to market /advertise their products to any extent which will make the device sell.If they don't advertise there is no point in making good devices and compete.

Posted from my Black Beast Q10
    Mr4aces likes this.
    05-19-14 03:59 AM
    People never heard BlackBerry 10.Pathetic marketing efforts from Frank B.

An year ago it was 76 million BlackBerry subscribers. If BlackBerry atleast did a decent job in marketing they should have converted 50 percent of those legacy devices to BlackBerry 10 devices. That's almost 37 million BlackBerry 10 phones.

Even a BlackBerry fanatic google to see BlackBerry 10 advertisements and promotions.

05-19-14 04:02 AM
    lack of specs and marketing.
    Specs means little to most who don't know what the specs do. :-) Yes, a lot of nerds on these forums like them ... and a substantially smaller number can legitimately point to demonstrateable benefits of the specs they clamour for ... but I bet most Smartphone buyers don't know or care what the specs do.

I'd wager the perceived lack of apps, the perceived lack of cool factor and the perceived fear that BlackBerry is going out of business has so much more impact on the decision making process than "specs" and "marketing"
    NG888, Katika99 and bigjman like this.
    05-19-14 04:08 AM
    An year ago it was 76 million BlackBerry subscribers. If BlackBerry atleast did a decent job in marketing they should have converted 50 percent of those legacy devices to BlackBerry 10 devices. That's almost 37 million BlackBerry 10 phones.
    And likely impossible, regardless of who it is. Not everyone can afford to upgrade at the same time; not everyone will upgrade at the same time; and contracts would have prevented many from doing so.

Do you think 50% of Apple's iPhone user base upgrades their hardware in a single year?
    05-19-14 04:10 AM
    ?A man who stops advertising to save money is like a man who stops a clock to save time?

If BlackBerry is here to do business they will have to market /advertise their products to any extent which will make the device sell.If they don't advertise there is no point in making good devices and compete.

Didn't you hear man? Marketing isn't a major factor, who cares if the majority of people have no idea that BB10 exists, they are not trying it or not considering them just because they "know" that they are bad phones. I hear the voices in your head tell you that... They are telling me that right now... ;-)
    05-19-14 04:26 AM
    Can you read? I'd love for you to tell me where I said market wasn't a factor!

Despite the fact that I've never said marketing wasn't a factor you keep saying that I have and then arguing that point. It's obvious that the reason you're doing that is because you have no evidence that it was the "major" factor in the lack of success for BB10.

So it's me that's LMAO.
    As long as you feel like you've "won" something and you're happy, I'm happy. :-D
    05-19-14 04:27 AM
    As long as you feel like you've "won" something and you're happy, I'm happy. :-D
    And there it is again. I guess you couldn't point to a time in this thread when I said marketing wasn't a factor.

So let's just pretend that you know what talking about.

I don't have time to engage with people that want to argue with themselves instead of having valid discussion around different points of merit. It's clear you're just going to make things up so you can feel validated.

Last edited by crazigee; 05-19-14 at 02:14 PM.
    05-19-14 04:34 AM
    I am glad you have such informed opinions on the "touch keyboard" no-one has actually seen in action yet.
    I am very interested in it, if they manage to get it right. By which I mean it will still have the right shape/feedback to be able to type blind, but also have some easy-to-use gestures to utilise symbols/special chars.

Depending on the way they implement it, this could actually become the most efficient physical keyboard there is.
    For me personally it will all depend on the physical sensation of the keyboard. If it will just be a totally smooth surface it will essentially just be a permanent touch-screen keyboard, in which case I would not be interested at all.

BlackBerry 10 signed.
    Tim Heard likes this.
    05-19-14 04:35 AM
    BlackBerry should definitely be working toward converting the Legacy device users to BB10. That?s why I think it is silly for BlackBerry to be doing another production run on the 9900.

With the release of10.2.1, BB10 is finally in a good place. BlackBerry should be spending the money to convert the older users instead of doing another run on the 9900. It might put money in the bank in the short term but it's hurting BB10.

05-19-14 04:42 AM
    Q30 won't alow me to type with only one hand right? doesn't seems like i can reach the full lenght of that keyboad's device with my thumb.
    05-19-14 04:57 AM
    Didn't you hear man? Marketing isn't a major factor, who cares if the majority of people have no idea that BB10 exists, they are not trying it or not considering them just because they "know" that they are bad phones. I hear the voices in your head tell you that... They are telling me that right now... ;-)
    Man,if people are unaware of BlackBerry 10 phones it's purely lack of effective marketing. I am not talking about general public. I am talking about the legacy users. I personally have used bold series for 3 years. I just can't imagine how buggy it was especially 9900.I still don't understand how people are using those devices which everytime require the battery pull and stuff like that.

Can't you see the legacy users of 78+ million a year before. Why can't BlackBerry come up with a promotional discounted offer for legacy devices to upgrade to BlackBerry 10.

They should showcase ,advertise,promote the strength of BlackBerry 10 as a platform in contrast to legacy OS rather that listening to people like you who write theories. Again to stay on topic if q30 is a path breaking device its gotta be marketed well.

05-19-14 05:08 AM
138 1234 ...