I have a Blackberry Q10 (actually I have 2 since I had one when it originally became available in Canada and recently purchased another one from Blackberry during their recent sale for brand new, factory unlocked ones) and I am actually considering upgrading to a Passport since someone told me that they would be able to get me a Passport at what I consider to be a good/decent price (factory unlocked, brand new, no contract)

I'm interested in the opinion of people who have gone from a Blackberry Q10 to a Passport...

What do you think?

Is it noticeably faster?

How do the keys compare to your old Blackberry Q10?

I use my Blackberry Q10 mainly for e-mailing, chatting, browsing the internet, watching videos, Netflix, and will play a few games with it so I don't consider myself a power user. I have a data only SIM in it so don't do any phone calls unless it is using VoIP/SIP.
    deboykie likes this.
    11-15-14 04:38 PM
    I had a Q10 for over a year and now have had the Passport for a month. Sold the Q10 already! Love the bigger keys! Passport is so fast and smooth. Battery lasts a very long time. I'm usually around 80% at the end of my work day and still over 50% when I go to bed (I use blend at work and hardly pick up the phone).

Screen is so good for watching movies or just swiping. Love the BlackBerry Assistant. Works as well as Siri on my wife's iPhone 5s. I'm getting spoiled just talking in emails and texts using the microphone.

Although bigger I've gotten used to carrying the passport around in either pants or shirt pockets?

Great phone!

Posted via CB10
    11-15-14 05:15 PM
    Q10 to Passport here. Bigger. Better. Faster. Noticeably too! Sounds like I am poking fun. But, I am not at all. Don't limit yourself to data only if you can. It's a new and very pleasant experience.

Secret squirrelling with my Passport. ?C0001FE5D?
    11-15-14 05:18 PM
    Snap. As per previous comments. Had mine since Monday & it's been great. Still getting used to it, but my Q10 seems tiny now. Love being able to fully read attachments on this screen without enlarging the documents. Haven't used Assistant yet but will try soon. I have used voice commands thru Bluetooth headset & that works great too. & I love the keypad & flicking words up... Go for it, you won't regret it.

Posted on CB10 with my Passport but previously my Q10
    cgallaer likes this.
    11-15-14 06:07 PM
    For me the Q10 is easier to type on but I've only been using the passport for a few days. My fingers feel more cramped on the PP than the Q and the Q feels more balanced in my hand. The keyboard on the Q is about a third of the total height of the phone while the PP keyboard is about a fourth. However, the predictive text and being able to flick the words from the keyboard is a big plus for the PP. Also, you can bring up the correction bubble by double tap the kb and move it with your finger on the kb without touching the screen. I think the PP keyboard is a good mix of the flicking predictive text of the Z10 and the tactical keyboard of the Q10.

As to watching Netflix and general browsing the PP is much better. Obviously the screen is larger but it also rotates. This rotation puts the kb on the side in a vertical position. The phone fits nicely in your hands allowing scrolling with your finger on the kb rather than the screen. This is a big plus. Reader mode works the same. Surfing this way with the phone rotated is very nice. Your scrolling finger is out of the way and you can use your kb shortcut keys if needed.

Battery life on PP is fantastic. Twice of the Q but I thought Q battery life was much better than my Z10. Overall, I think the PP is a very nice mix of the best features found on the Z and Q series.

I'm keeping the PP but I also still have my Z10 and Q10. I do have a sim adapter when a want to have a smaller form factor. The PP uses a slim port rather than micro HDMI so you need to buy an adaptor or use miracast. Both work well.

So to answer you question.... yes, get a passport.
    andy957 likes this.
    11-15-14 07:12 PM
  6. fridaybeatsmondayanygivensunday's Avatar
    I'm a former Q10 user, to answer your questions:

? it is a must that you buy a passport already! (lol) I love my Q10 but the passport is miles better...

? it's definitely faster, you get the latest OS of course with the quadcore processor so don't need to elaborate on that.

? typing get's about 2 weeks to acclimatize but once you're fingers have adapted to the slightly different and wider orientation, you'll be as fast as you are like before in the Q10. But I gotta say though that the Q10 is the better keyboard layout. If I'm gonna rate it now, Q10's a 10 while the Passport is a 9, in keyboard layout per se.

My advice to you is go buy a passport. Better specs, wider screen( to view messages, web, calendar, etc) OS 10.3, good keyboard, and....a very battery life! The battery life is what really sealed the deal for me

Posted via CB10
    11-15-14 08:09 PM
    All around better. A Q10 on steroids.

Post via BlackBerry Passport, the best damn smartphone thus far.
    11-16-14 12:21 AM
    Yes and can never go back to the Q. Passport is much more superior in every way except non-removeable battery. I even found a holster

Blackberry Passport running 10.3.1.1016
    11-16-14 02:03 AM
    After 6 weeks the Passports only failing is the keyboard - if only there was the standard 4 rows. STILL make numerous mistakes with the virtual keyboard and I am definitely slower at typing despite my best attempts.

On the upside I can now run almost all the Andoid Apps I want and the screen really boosts productivity.

My only other gripe is the fixed battery - oh -and it would have been graft to have a second (perhaps standard sized) sim slot for roaming...

Posted via CB10
    ShadowRaine likes this.
    11-16-14 05:43 AM
    After over a year with the Q10 I moved to the Passport. It'll take maybe a day or two to get used to the new keyboard and then you'll fly. Everything is done faster,the screen is bigger,the touch keyboard is awesome.

Posted from my BlackBerry Passport
    11-16-14 11:28 AM
    I'm a Q10 daily driver/Passport at home only user.

I'm waiting to a proper case/holster (not the stuff from eBay, but an actual holster with a solid belt clip, preferably from BlackBerry itself. I've been playing with the Passport and here are my thoughts:

Hardware(Passport wins): The Passport blows the Q10 out of the water with the screen. It is a lot nicer (my Q10 looks yellow compared side by side).

Speed (Passport wins):The Passport is also much faster, I notice it especially with Android apps, however it could be a combo of 10.3 and the faster hardware.

Apps (tie): It is nice to be able to see apps work better on the Passport, however some apps that I use still aren't optimized at all for the Passport (Leafs app, Globe and Mail among some of my more used apps). I don't know why the software wasn't coded to just expand unoptimized apps to the screen.

The scrolling keyboard on the Passport is nice, especially for web browsing in landscape mode.

Typing (Q10 wins):For typing, the Q10 is still head and shoulders above the Passport for me. I'm not used to the virtual keys and I still think it takes a lot more effort and focus to type on the Passport (even with the double type issue on my Q10).

Portability (Q10 wins): One handed operation is also an advantage on the Q10. No way I can comfortably one hand the Passport at all.

Battery (Q10 wins in my case): I haven't used the Passport out of the house, so I can't fully assess this, but I have extra Q10 batteries, so swapping on the go means I have days worth of heavy use (4 batteries) without plugging in, essentially infinite battery life if I just keep swapping into the charger and phone daily. The removable battery is the Q10's win.

My overall assessment after almost a month of this arrangement? I'm still not sure I want the Passport. I love the Q10 and have since I bought it. I can send it back until the end of the week, but because it was a coupon code one I'm not sure I'll see it at that price for a long time if I do want it.

Now I've got to decide what's for dinner... hmmm... not sure... maybe I'm just indecisive. Try it for yourself and see how you like it, that's the best way to see for yourself.

Posted via CB10
    11-16-14 05:09 PM
    Read the review I did here. I came to the passport from the Q10, I did a lot of comparisons to the Q10 in my review. Hope you like it

http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...ctures-964552/

On the software side, yes, passport is a bit quicker in 95% of the situation, but not by much, the Q10 already is a snappy device. The big difference in android apps, the Passport runs them so much better, super smooth compared to Q10, loading times are MUCH quicker
    11-16-14 05:24 PM
    There have been a couple other threads on this same issue, and I will repeat what I said previously - I can't imagine using my Q10 on a regular basis now that I have a Passport. The only time I use my Q10 is when I go for a run because it more easily fits in my clutched hand. I don't transfer the SIM with an adapter - I only bring the Q10 if I need to make an emergency 911 call due to an injury on my run, which I can do without having a SIM. You will enjoy your Passport!
    11-16-14 08:39 PM
    I'm a Q10 daily driver/Passport at home only user.

I'm waiting to a proper case/holster (not the stuff from eBay, but an actual holster with a solid belt clip, preferably from BlackBerry itself. I've been playing with the Passport and here are my thoughts:

Hardware(Passport wins): The Passport blows the Q10 out of the water with the screen. It is a lot nicer (my Q10 looks yellow compared side by side).

Speed (Passport wins):The Passport is also much faster, I notice it especially with Android apps, however it could be a combo of 10.3 and the faster hardware.

Apps (tie): It is nice to be able to see apps work better on the Passport, however some apps that I use still aren't optimized at all for the Passport (Leafs app, Globe and Mail among some of my more used apps). I don't know why the software wasn't coded to just expand unoptimized apps to the screen.

The scrolling keyboard on the Passport is nice, especially for web browsing in landscape mode.

Typing (Q10 wins):For typing, the Q10 is still head and shoulders above the Passport for me. I'm not used to the virtual keys and I still think it takes a lot more effort and focus to type on the Passport (even with the double type issue on my Q10).

Portability (Q10 wins): One handed operation is also an advantage on the Q10. No way I can comfortably one hand the Passport at all.

Battery (Q10 wins in my case): I haven't used the Passport out of the house, so I can't fully assess this, but I have extra Q10 batteries, so swapping on the go means I have days worth of heavy use (4 batteries) without plugging in, essentially infinite battery life if I just keep swapping into the charger and phone daily. The removable battery is the Q10's win.

My overall assessment after almost a month of this arrangement? I'm still not sure I want the Passport. I love the Q10 and have since I bought it. I can send it back until the end of the week, but because it was a coupon code one I'm not sure I'll see it at that price for a long time if I do want it.

Now I've got to decide what's for dinner... hmmm... not sure... maybe I'm just indecisive. Try it for yourself and see how you like it, that's the best way to see for yourself.

Posted via CB10
    I'm sorry but there's no way a Q10 outlasts a passport in battery life. I removed my passport off the charger at 6:24am this past Thursday mronong. I ran 2 hours of slacker radio, 5 to 6 hours of nobex and was heavily active on the forums. Did some email work, took some phone calls, was on bbm etc... all the while streaming on 4GLTE. My batter didn't reach 50% until around 3pm. The battery lasted well into the night. On my Q10 however, I would have already gone through a battery and a half. Other than that, you can't claim the Q10 'wins' in the battery department when you assess one full charge on one battery from each device. When you go to sleep it doesn't take any energy to plug a phone into a charger. Relying on 4 batteries instead of throwing your phone on the charger sounds silly.
    From Blackberry Q10 to Blackberry Passport-img_20141114_235630.png

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20141114_235630.png 
Views:	541 
Size:	83.0 KB 
ID:	314969

Posted via unlocked PASSPORT
    11-16-14 09:31 PM
    After 6 weeks the Passports only failing is the keyboard - if only there was the standard 4 rows. STILL make numerous mistakes with the virtual keyboard and I am definitely slower at typing despite my best attempts.

On the upside I can now run almost all the Andoid Apps I want and the screen really boosts productivity.

My only other gripe is the fixed battery - oh -and it would have been graft to have a second (perhaps standard sized) sim slot for roaming...

Posted via CB10
    Keep at it. We all have different learning curves. I'm typing much better on the passport now that I've had it for a week and a few days. I'm not as fast as I was on the Q10 but for some reason I find typing on the passport is more satisfying.

11-16-14 09:35 PM
    Awesome. All thee more reason I'm so happy to go from the q10 to the pp

Posted via CB10
    11-16-14 09:38 PM
    I'm sorry but there's no way a Q10 outlasts a passport in battery life. I removed my passport off the charger at 6:24am this past Thursday mronong. I ran 2 hours of slacker radio, 5 to 6 hours of nobex and was heavily active on the forums. Did some email work, took some phone calls, was on bbm etc... all the while streaming on 4GLTE. My batter didn't reach 50% until around 3pm. The battery lasted well into the night. On my Q10 however, I would have already gone through a battery and a half. Other than that, you can't claim the Q10 'wins' in the battery department when you assess one full charge on one battery from each device. When you go to sleep it doesn't take any energy to plug a phone into a charger. Relying on 4 batteries instead of throwing your phone on the charger sounds silly.

Just letting the OP know that if you have multiple batteries, the Q10 does win. Takes two minutes to swap, vs needing a power pack or charger if you run low. I still value the swappable battery option, so for me the Q10 wins in the battery category. Obviously you feel different and that's ok too.

I usually just cycle two batteries through, but through a couple of warranty repairs, I ended up with 4 batteries from BlackBerry.

I also just checked my Q10, last pulled off the charger Friday morning. Instant says I've used it 500 min since then and I'm at 77% on my third battery of the weekend. Not bad I don't think.

Posted via CB10
    11-16-14 10:17 PM
    Just letting the OP know that if you have multiple batteries, the Q10 does win. Takes two minutes to swap, vs needing a power pack or charger if you run low. I still value the swappable battery option, so for me the Q10 wins in the battery category. Obviously you feel different and that's ok too.

I usually just cycle two batteries through, but through a couple of warranty repairs, I ended up with 4 batteries from BlackBerry.

I also just checked my Q10, last pulled off the charger Friday morning. Instant says I've used it 500 min since then and I'm at 77% on my third battery of the weekend. Not bad I don't think.

Posted via CB10
    I totally agree with you, don't get me wrong. I much prefer a removable battery. There's little to no value or convenience of having a non-removable battery. Why BlackBerry went this route idk., but I wish they hadnt.

11-16-14 10:26 PM
    Read the review I did here. I came to the passport from the Q10, I did a lot of comparisons to the Q10 in my review. Hope you like it

http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...ctures-964552/

On the software side, yes, passport is a bit quicker in 95% of the situation, but not by much, the Q10 already is a snappy device. The big difference in android apps, the Passport runs them so much better, super smooth compared to Q10, loading times are MUCH quicker
    Read the review and thought it was awesome. I was hesitant but you sold me on the passport as my next phone. Question for you. Now that you have had more time has you muscle memory and productivity gotten better? I am a little weary about the keyboard so any feedback would be great.

Posted via CB10
    11-17-14 01:22 AM
    I have a Blackberry Q10 (actually I have 2 since I had one when it originally became available in Canada and recently purchased another one from Blackberry during their recent sale for brand new, factory unlocked ones) and I am actually considering upgrading to a Passport since someone told me that they would be able to get me a Passport at what I consider to be a good/decent price (factory unlocked, brand new, no contract)

I'm interested in the opinion of people who have gone from a Blackberry Q10 to a Passport...

What do you think?

Is it noticeably faster?

How do the keys compare to your old Blackberry Q10?

I use my Blackberry Q10 mainly for e-mailing, chatting, browsing the internet, watching videos, Netflix, and will play a few games with it so I don't consider myself a power user. I have a data only SIM in it so don't do any phone calls unless it is using VoIP/SIP.
    If you're happy with your Q10, you will be even happier with the Passport.

The Q10 was my favorite BlackBerry to date, just ahead of the 9900. I love real keyboards and have owned almost every BlackBerry since the Pearl. I thought the Q10 was perfect, and originally wasn't into the Passport's looks. I got the Passport the day after it was launched, and sold my Q10s immediately after realizing I could never go back to them (I had a white and a black). I use my BlackBerry the same was as you do, except the Netflix. The Passport is the best BlackBerry ever. The keyboard puts the Q10 keyboard to shame, you really really really just need to use it often and give it a week. I can now type and swipe down to access the screens with the symbols, and the even the feel of the buttons and the way they click is a lot more luxurious feeling. I sometimes will hold my mom's Q10 and it feels like a baby's phone with such a tiny keyboard and screen. The Passport keyboard is spacious and it's so comfortable to hold and type on for long periods of time. The square shape really lends itself to the typing experience, and you can really spread out with your thumbs and type away.

I couldn't be happier with my Passport. I will buy every iteration of this phone for years to come.

Posted via CB10
    11-17-14 02:00 AM
    If you're happy with your Q10, you will be even happier with the Passport.

The Q10 was my favorite BlackBerry to date, just ahead of the 9900. I love real keyboards and have owned almost every BlackBerry since the Pearl. I thought the Q10 was perfect, and originally wasn't into the Passport's looks. I got the Passport the day after it was launched, and sold my Q10s immediately after realizing I could never go back to them (I had a white and a black). I use my BlackBerry the same was as you do, except the Netflix. The Passport is the best BlackBerry ever. The keyboard puts the Q10 keyboard to shame, you really really really just need to use it often and give it a week. I can now type and swipe down to access the screens with the symbols, and the even the feel of the buttons and the way they click is a lot more luxurious feeling. I sometimes will hold my mom's Q10 and it feels like a baby's phone with such a tiny keyboard and screen. The Passport keyboard is spacious and it's so comfortable to hold and type on for long periods of time. The square shape really lends itself to the typing experience, and you can really spread out with your thumbs and type away.

I couldn't be happier with my Passport. I will buy every iteration of this phone for years to come.

Posted via CB10
    Good to hear. As longtime bold and keyboard (qwerty) user my doubts are starting to fade away. Now at&t needs to get a move on it.

Posted via CB10
    11-17-14 07:55 AM
    Passport has the better keyboard. Bigger keys, trackpad like functionality great for text editing, quick delete via swipe back. Symbols and numbers take some getting used to.
    No double type issue like Q10.
    Q10 is better to carry. Holster was great. Still haven't figured out a good holster yet. Pocketing the passport right now and rather not.
    Passport build quality is fantastic tho the Q10 carbon fiber like back looked nicer.
    Passport battery life is a beast. My Q10 sucked badly.
    I think the music sounded a little better on the Q10. Better bass. Passport is ok but not as good even with the equalizer. Btw, I'm talking music through the aux output.
    In summary, it really boils down to portability, screen real estate, word processing needs, and battery life. The only one that may cause issues for someone transitioning is the size.

Posted via CB10
    11-17-14 08:17 AM
    Passport has the better keyboard. Bigger keys, trackpad like functionality great for text editing, quick delete via swipe back. Symbols and numbers take some getting used to.
    No double type issue like Q10.
    Q10 is better to carry. Holster was great. Still haven't figured out a good holster yet. Pocketing the passport right now and rather not.
    Passport build quality is fantastic tho the Q10 carbon fiber like back looked nicer.
    Passport battery life is a beast. My Q10 sucked badly.
    I think the music sounded a little better on the Q10. Better bass. Passport is ok but not as good even with the equalizer. Btw, I'm talking music through the aux output.
    In summary, it really boils down to portability, screen real estate, word processing needs, and battery life. The only one that may cause issues for someone transitioning is the size.

Posted via CB10
    Thanks for the post. I actually have really big hands I think the size will be ok. I actually want a bigger screen now. I am open to what the passport brings. That screen is what I want the most. I am just going to have to get use to typing

Posted via CB10
    11-17-14 12:21 PM
    Read the review and thought it was awesome. I was hesitant but you sold me on the passport as my next phone. Question for you. Now that you have had more time has you muscle memory and productivity gotten better? I am a little weary about the keyboard so any feedback would be great.

Posted via CB10
    Yeah, i'm already up to speed, I text as quick as I did in the Q10, unless I want to use symbols, symbols will never be as quick as the Q10.
    11-18-14 06:57 PM
    Yeah ok got it. Thank you very much. Now I wait

Posted via CB10
    Joao Oliveira likes this.
    11-18-14 08:35 PM