TLDR; Lost my Passport and BlackBerry Protect page is unresponsive.

In a crowded section of of a shopping Mall, my beautiful Red Passport got pinched off from side pocket of winter jacket. The zipper was wide open so it was entirely my mistake.

Back home I tried to activate some of the anti theft features on BlackBerry Protect web page. But even after 6 days my Passport did not came in any radio contact (very unlikely).

I couldn't have endlessly waited for thief to activate or fire up the phone in new sim. I have another Passport in white that i benched last year; fired it up, popped in a new SIM and logged on my blackberry ID.

What is going to happen to happen to my phone that got pinched? Will all those commands I gave to the phone will get activated IF it latches on to a service provider other than mine? Is BlackBerry Protect even working anymore?
    02-05-19 02:26 AM
    I think the service is shut down. Also the blackberry Security guard. Blackberry slowly kills the bb10 system ...
    02-05-19 03:11 AM
    Works fine here (Sweden), and has been doing for long.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by mikael11; 02-05-19 at 01:29 PM.
    02-05-19 04:32 AM
    Doesnt work here in Germany though....with neither of my cariers....was pretty pissed too when I found out a couple weeks ago. They (BB) dont even tell you - I mean seriously we are like 11months far from shutdown.

Posted via CB10
    02-05-19 11:52 AM

In a crowded section of of a shopping Mall, my beautiful Red Passport got pinched off from side pocket of winter jacket. The zipper was wide open so it was entirely my mistake.

Back home I tried to activate some of the anti theft features on BlackBerry Protect web page. But even after 6 days my Passport did not came in any radio contact (very unlikely).

I couldn't have endlessly waited for thief to activate or fire up the phone in new sim. I have another Passport in white that i benched last year; fired it up, popped in a new SIM and logged on my blackberry ID.

What is going to happen to happen to my phone that got pinched? Will all those commands I gave to the phone will get activated IF it latches on to a service provider other than mine? Is BlackBerry Protect even working anymore?
    Just logged into Blackberry Protect in the UK and was able to lock, wipe and view where my Z30 was . No issue and Blackberry Protect is still operational
    Sime0n_S likes this.
    02-05-19 01:25 PM
    I misplaced my Z10 a couple of months back, and BlackBerry Protect was adamant that it was in my house somewhere. Sure enough, I found it in a waste paper bin by my desk. Before I tried BlackBerry Protect, I had gone all over town to the last known places I though I might have used it. If it wasn't for BlackBerry Protect I would have likely thrown it out with the trash.

Posted with my trusty Z10
    02-05-19 01:39 PM
    More likely the phone slipped out of the pocket and is in a lost and found bin with a 100 other phones....

If a professional did steal it... then they know what the have to do to get around the theft protection on today's phones.
    02-06-19 07:05 AM
    More likely the phone slipped out of the pocket and is in a lost and found bin with a 100 other phones....

If a professional did steal it... then they know what the have to do to get around the theft protection on today's phones.
    What thief steals a BlackBerry ?
    Tim-ANC likes this.
    02-06-19 10:42 AM

Hey Heretic,

BB Protect is indeed working. I think it's likely that the thief thought they were jacking an Android phone and didn't know what they got, so it's possible it just hasn't been fired back up. But rest assured the service is still viable and going strong.
    02-06-19 08:40 PM
    What thief steals a BlackBerry ?
    I use to tell people that if they got locked out by BlackBerry Protect, they had a brick. But too many have tried the unlocking hack and say it works at this point.

Never tried it myself, but at this point I don't doubt those that have.
    02-07-19 07:40 AM
    I use to tell people that if they got locked out by BlackBerry Protect, they had a brick. But too many have tried the unlocking hack and say it works at this point.

Never tried it myself, but at this point I don't doubt those that have.
    I remain pretty skeptical that a properly secured BlackBerry can be unlocked, unless someone can explain it technically, other than by social engineering of the BBID password.

02-07-19 07:52 AM
    I remain pretty skeptical that a properly secured BlackBerry can be unlocked, unless someone can explain it technically, other than by social engineering of the BBID password.

Several have been able to reload the OS and bypass the theft protection.... including a "Trusted Members" and "Community Review Team" member @IvanTheTolerable. A search should allow you to find the threads.... and you can give it a try yourself. That's what happens when holes aren't patched.

Your data is still safe... but I don't think the phone is safe from thieves anymore.
    02-07-19 08:14 AM
    Several have been able to reload the OS and bypass the theft protection.... including a "Trusted Members" and "Community Review Team" member @IvanTheTolerable. A search should allow you to find the threads.... and you can give it a try yourself. That's what happens when holes aren't patched.

Your data is still safe... but I don't think the phone is safe from thieves anymore.
    That's perfectly plausible, as BlackBerry Protect was an add-on feature and wasn't something that IT managers cared about, so long as the data was unrecoverable.

02-07-19 08:22 AM
    I'd be surprised if one can actually hack BB Protect
    02-07-19 10:10 AM