Hello people!

Yes, I know the Passport is a go-go tool for work, yet let me be a bit more precise with certain specific questions. How is the Passport regarding:

- working with dozens of heavy PDFs (100MB and up)? I need to carry catalogs and price lists all the time, so I need this to work flawlessly
    - working with Excel files. Is this compatible? Can I work with no problems with Excel files?
    - battery life. Is it still over 2 days long for heavy usage?
    - camera. Some months ago the Passport camera was appaling. How is it now?
    - integration with Google Apps. Not actually apps but mainly Google Professional email/calendar/etc. Is this a flawless sync? I MUST use Google email/calendar/notes/etc all day long. The contacts must always be perfectly synced, photos and all. Is this something where I will get issues?
    - does Blackberry OS support portuguese-portuguese (not brazillian) nicely? It's always good for auto-complete and some corrections.

So far these are my questions. Hope I'm not forgetting anything. This will be a 100% work phone, so no games, etc, needed. Yet, it would be great if it works perfectly with Facebook, Twitter and stuff like that, since my future business will require daily updates on social network too, but nothing too hardcore

Thank you very much for the help!

P.S. - what is the typical BB upgrade on products? I don't want to buy a Passport now and BB launch a completely new one in about a month, even though I really need the mobile NOW
    04-23-15 03:52 AM
    I'm bumping this up. I use my Passport strictly for business. As far as PDF files I have no issues. The calendar and contacts are the best bar none. I work as a Health Insurance Agent.

Posted via CB10
    04-23-15 05:28 AM
    Battery life is awesome. Sometimes I make 100 phone calls a day and am on my phone constantly. Still have 20-30% at the end of a very long day.

Posted via CB10
    04-23-15 05:31 AM
    I'm a contractor. I use massive PDFs as attachments all the time. I use zip files too with zero issues. They all open quickly and effortlessly.

Battery life may not be 48 hours for me but easily 30.

Posted via CB10
    04-23-15 06:20 AM
    Camera works great now. Before people were complaining about the auto focus being slow and causes pictures to be blurry. That's all fixed now and there hasn't been any new complaints about the camera on forward.

Posted via CB10
    04-23-15 07:23 AM
    Funciona perfeitamente em PT-PT! Compra-o j

Works perfectly in Portuguese from Portugal! Buy it right now

Posted via CB10
    thymaster likes this.
    04-23-15 08:33 AM
    -PDFs work without a hitch. Excel files as well. Passport screen is ideal for reading/editing documents of all kinds. The touch sensitive keyboard acts as a track pad for more accurate word selection and navigation. Never have a problem with getting to a precise area on the page.

-Battery life has been kind of iffy for some people, I tend to get a full 24 hours out of a 100% charge, with medium-heavy usage.

-Camera looks great and the auto suggestions are really convenient. Autofocus is still slow as molasses though, if that's what you mean. I don't think that really CAN improve with software. I'm not a tech genius though :P

-lots of Google apps work great. As far as emails, I'm not sure about the Gmail app, it may be dependent on Google Services, but the native Blackberry email synch works with any type of imap/pop email account, including business emails. The native BlackBerry calendar app and note app are great, if you have the option to use them. If you absolutely need the Google ones, I'm kind of confused as to why you want a BlackBerry lol. But I'm sure those things work on the Passport. I tried installing/using them for the sake of this post and they did not work for me -- the notes because of Google services (which I haven't been able to get to work on my phone) and the calendar because it won't synch properly, possibly for the same reason.

-looks like Portugal Portuguese works!

-there is usually a new phone every couple quarters or so. Passport will probably continue to be the flagship phone for some time. I could see the Slider they're developing outshining the Passport if the specs match (or are better). However, BlackBerry has continued updating and supporting even the oldest BB10 models (Q10 and Z10) so the Passport will still be relevant and a great choice for a long time

Hello people!
    Yes, I know the Passport is a go-go tool for work, yet let me be a bit more precise with certain specific questions. How is the Passport regarding:

- working with dozens of heavy PDFs (100MB and up)? I need to carry catalogs and price lists all the time, so I need this to work flawlessly
    - working with Excel files. Is this compatible? Can I work with no problems with Excel files?
    - integration with Google Apps. Not actually apps but mainly Google Professional email/calendar/etc. Is this a flawless sync? I MUST use Google email/calendar/notes/etc all day long. The contacts must always be perfectly synced, photos and all. Is this something where I will get issues?
    - does Blackberry OS support portuguese-portuguese (not brazillian) nicely? It's always good for auto-complete and some corrections.

So far these are my questions. Hope I'm not forgetting anything. This will be a 100% work phone, so no games, etc, needed. Yet, it would be great if it works perfectly with Facebook, Twitter and stuff like that, since my future business will require daily updates on social network too, but nothing too hardcore

Thank you very much for the help!

P.S. - what is the typical BB upgrade on products? I don't want to buy a Passport now and BB launch a completely new one in about a month, even though I really need the mobile NOW

 = ♥
    Supa_Fly1 likes this.
    04-23-15 09:07 AM
    Get the Passport. As you have read the rave reviews and how well the phone functions with handling pdf's, excel, pictures, phone calls, battery life, the Passport is a beast. It's styling is distinctive and unique. It is an elegant phone and catches the eye of the beholder.

Get it. You will not regret it.

Posted via CB10
    04-23-15 09:52 AM
    Thank you all for the replies! 99.9% set on buying the Passport.

But please tell me... how about the Google integration? Contacts, email, calendar, etc!? Will it work perfectly?

I also thought about the BB Classic, but I'm affraid it will be very slow to handle big PDFs, etc...

Thank you!
    04-24-15 11:26 AM
    I keep two different calendars - Microsoft exchange for work and Google for the rest. I do not need everyone at work to know my son's soccer schedule, if you know what I mean. The Passport overlays the calendars so I can easily check my whole schedule in one glance, rather than having to toggle different calendars.

But the best calendar feature is the meeting mode. If I tick "busy" for an appointment the phone will automatically go silent during the appointment. I used to hesitate to use the silent mode because I would realize two days later it was still on. This meeting mode feature really makes the silent mode usable, in my opinion.
    04-24-15 12:06 PM
    I use PDF's, excel file on my passport, and works flawlessly. I have gmail integrated on my passport and works great. No issues at all. I have not synced calendar/contacts, so I can't comment on that, however I can tell you gmail works great. Since the new update, I only charge every 2 days. I can get about 36 - 48 hours on a single charge, all dependent on how much I use it. I assume you do sleep at night, so you should never have any issues getting a full day on a full charge, then charging over night. But if for some reason you don't charge overnight, you'll still have a good charge for the next day. I no longer have a charger at work or in my car. No need for it, since I am 100% comfortable that my battery will last the entire day, every day.
    04-24-15 12:18 PM
    Yeah, it is really good phone.. no laptop or tablet required.. one device can manage everything.. but you have adopt and its unique can't compare with others.. pure business phone. U love it.

Posted via CB10
    04-24-15 01:04 PM
    Thank you all for the replies! 99.9% set on buying the Passport.

But please tell me... how about the Google integration? Contacts, email, calendar, etc!? Will it work perfectly?

I also thought about the BB Classic, but I'm affraid it will be very slow to handle big PDFs, etc...

Thank you!
    Google apps, mail, calendar, contacts etc works perfect. Go for it, as many said, you won't regret it.

Posted via CB10
    04-24-15 02:27 PM
    I can't say I've noticed any major issues with the diagrams and lengthy user guides I have on mine, some of which are pretty big.

Certainly no worse than any other 'mobile' device. You can certainly view and indeed edit simple[ish] docs, but don't expect to do advanced stuff as with any of these devices. The high horizontal res certainly helps with viewing!

I think a full day is a realistic expectation if you're using the device comprehensively daily.

Quality always good imo, not the best I've ever seen... but I own a Lumia 1020 so the benchmark is high. Focus times are much improved with latest software.

Don't know, simply as I don't use Google stuff and don't consider the functionality it offers to be 'professional'

No idea :-)

Fb, twitter etc work just fine, don't see it being an issue.

Glacial is the rate at which things are released compared to the competition, can't say it upsets me.

Posted via CB10
    04-24-15 02:58 PM
    Well, got to see the Passport again today and I can't buy it. It's just way too big for my pocket, since it will get a Sony Z3 companion. Looks like the Blackberry Classic will be my choice.

Will I notice any speed "problems" with it, regarding opening big PDF, etc?! Like I said, this is a business-only phone, so no games, multimedia, etc...

Thank you!
    04-25-15 05:08 AM
    Well, got to see the Passport again today and I can't buy it. It's just way too big for my pocket, since it will get a Sony Z3 companion. Looks like the Blackberry Classic will be my choice.

Will I notice any speed "problems" with it, regarding opening big PDF, etc?! Like I said, this is a business-only phone, so no games, multimedia, etc...

Thank you!
    Essentially the Classic is a Q10 in a newer, shinier package. Granted, the screen is a smidge bigger, plus there is a track pad which will help with editing your documents. But as far as opening your large PDFs and such, it would probably not handle nearly as well as the Passport, and the smaller screen real estate would make for lots of resizing/eye squinting. Not to turn you off to the Classic, I've read lots of good things about it. But if you'll be reading a lot on it, the Passport would be a better choice. Just my 2 cents :3

 = ♥
    04-25-15 05:47 AM
    Yes, but I tried... the Passport and the Sony Z3 don't fit at the same time in my pocket
    NtotheK likes this.
    04-25-15 05:53 AM
    IMHO if pdf reading is that important to you, you need that larger size, or you'll be zooming and panning around that stamp-size view (even more than you still may wih the Passport).

I'll also be the dissonant voice, here, and postulate that if you are as dependant on the Google infrastructure as you suggest, you should be looking at something like a Nexus 6.
    04-25-15 06:27 AM
    Yes, but I tried... the Passport and the Sony Z3 don't fit at the same time in my pocket
    I carry a Passport and Zed30 just fine. But like the poster above said maybe a Note or Nexus 6 is a better fit for you if you are heavily Google dependent. Although Google does sync contacts and calendars just fine.

Posted via CB10
    04-25-15 09:38 AM
    Best phone or phablet ever had. I carry the Passport and Z30 and love both. Portuguese of Portugal (in my case Portuguese of Mozambique which is much better than the current Portuguese of Portugal as in Mozambique the new Portuguese has not been yet enacted ;-)

Buy it! You won't regret!

P.S. Bought my @FNAC although you can find it cheaper @expansys or amazon

Posted via CB10
    04-25-15 09:53 AM
    Whatever happened to the OP? Still satisfied with the Classic for PDF viewing??

Posted via CB10
    12-10-15 08:11 AM