Blackberry Passport - Web Browser-img_20161009_141958.png

Hello. I have been using the OG Passport from the time of its launch! I have never had any issues with the native Web Browser so far! However, when I accessed Bloomberg (a Site I rarely visit during my normal daily routines), I saw a message 'Your Browser is no longer supported....' (screenshot attached).

I have never encountered a similar message on any other website that I have accessed. Any idea whether this is something particular to Bloomberg? - or, is this an issue that we could increasingly encounter going forward?

Cheers.
    10-09-16 05:32 AM
    It's on Bloomberg's end.
    Sometimes websites will decide to cut off access or restrict access to older, out of date, non-secure, or browsers/extensions with the ability to filter/block advertisements.
    They do this by using a script with a "black list" of non-approved browsers or by using a "white list" of approved browsers and block those not on it.
    So, they either decided that for some reason BlackBerry/Safari WebKit is to be black listed or they white listed a bunch of browsers and forgot to add BlackBerry/Safari WebKit.
    Contact Bloomberg's web help/webmaster to inform them of your issue.

Moving forward can this type of situation happen again? .... most likely yes.
    If the BB10 Browser becomes static and not updated, more and more websites will "block" it in the future as technology rolls on.
    On the flip side, at least you can load a third party browser from BlackBerry World or an Android one from Amazon or Google Play.

BTW, the whole blocking thing only works by using the info provided by the web browser when the website "check browser name/version" script is ran. The script asks your web browser to identify itself, your browser responds with it's name and version of which can be spoofed.
    Legacy BlackBerry Browsers had the ability to change what the response was from a selectable set of different browser names/versions. This ability was removed on BB10.
    For example, my old BlackBerry Storm functioned better on a website I frequented if I changed it's identity from BlackBerry to Internet Explorer.
    On my PC, one website functions better if I tell it I'm using Firefox 27 while another one blocks that older version, so I use the latest Firefox version with an addon that lets me change the identity to anything I want.
    Last edited by DaFoxGrey; 10-09-16 at 07:19 AM.
    10-09-16 07:02 AM
    There was also a way to make websites see your phone as an android phone or something else. I forget how to do it because I didnt want to.
    10-09-16 08:30 AM
    I get the same message on bloomberg using the stock browser on the Classic. If I switch to using Browsie Browser and have the user-agent set to 'Chrome on Android' then that message doesn't appear.

Posted via CB10
    10-09-16 10:01 AM
    Thanks to all 3 of you! I don't usually access the Bloomberg Site for my normal needs - so, it is not an inconvenience as yet - anyway, the Page is still being rendered in a sufficiently usable manner for me as of now. I hope the native Browser doesn't fall behind, remain static etc. It will be good to be able to use native BlackBerry tools to the extent possible.

Thanks again to the 3 of you for your responses!

Regards.
    DaFoxGrey likes this.
    10-09-16 01:06 PM
    I'll have to try Browsie now. Thanks
    11-03-16 01:42 PM
    Websites often only officially support a handful of browsers. It very rarely means it actually doesn't work on other browsers.

Posted via CB10
    11-03-16 03:34 PM
    Browsie broswer is not only ad free but it looks like native BlackBerry browser. It fixes this issue! Mind you it feels faster then native browser

Posted via BlackBerry Passport.
    11-03-16 03:49 PM