I'm getting VERY ill the more I read about this company:

They make a phone OS and 2 basic applications for the OS.

https://blog.blackphone.ch/2015/03/0...worldcongress/
    Introducing the world�s first enterprise privacy platform
    ^ SUCH HOG-WASH!

Mr. Chen please stomp a mud-hole into this company's face point-blank and FAST! Everything on their entire website paints a picture stolen catch phrases with no real backing from BlackBerry its maddening! Insulting!

Blackphone 2: A Smartphone So Secure Even Hillary Clinton Might Use It
    Blackphone 2: A Smartphone So Secure Even Hillary Clinton Might Use It

^ ROFLMAO!!! Like SHE has any real credibility for security or using a phone at an executive level. Heck 2yr olds know how email works and yet SHE doesn't! You want her working for your tax dollars?
    Hillary Clinton won't use the blackphone, I'd put money on it. She has her BlackBerry because of security and PKB.

Posted via CB10
    05-22-15 07:20 AM
    Of course, yet I can still turn off the location permission on the BlackBerry map app and the file access permission to the BlackBerry browser if I don't feel comfortable being monitored.
    I can't do that with the photon Browser or with other android apps!
    There is a very simple reason. Google and others piggy-backing on them want to steal my information to make money, instead of selling me a product honestly, in exchange for a dollar sum.
    More likely novice/lazy/poor coding from developers that don't give a penny for your privacy/choice V.S clean dev (and extra time).
    Also due to included bloatware used to grab $ from your profile/activity without your knowledge (as you mentioned).
    So ... it's up to each on his own to decide eitherr or not he wants to play this game ...
    05-22-15 11:38 AM
    Hillary Clinton won't use the blackphone, I'd put money on it. She has her BlackBerry because of security and PKB.

Posted via CB10
    This is the same lady that used an iPhone and a personal email account from a software server on her work computer to circumvent using a BlackBerry.
    05-22-15 04:24 PM
    Lol blackphone. Made by the nsa to sell directly to those who need to be monitored.

Posted via CB10
    05-22-15 08:11 PM
    Swiss banks were once the bastion of security, privacy and discretion. Since the UBS scandal where Swiss banks sold out all their American clients at the behest of the US government, their reputation is pretty much gone.

Switzerland no longer has that reputation of neutrality and discretion, so why should anyone trust a Swiss company who is claiming to make an impenetrable and super-secure mobile platorm? Beats me. Who says they won't leak out a backdoor to governments or private security companies? They are no longer trustworthy.

-- Passport, VMO, Toronto CA
    05-23-15 01:31 AM
    So someone with the knowledge please explain this for me: If I had an Android device and a Passport, and installed a random apk that had some sort of compromising software on it, would I be any more protected or would less damage be done on the Passport with its implementation of the Android runtime?

I would assume no, but this might be a poor example.
    05-23-15 01:50 AM
    Blackphone is a joke. Wonder how long they'll last.

Posted with my BlackBerry Passport SQW100-1, v.10.3.2.680
    05-23-15 01:55 AM
    So someone with the knowledge please explain this for me: If I had an Android device and a Passport, and installed a random apk that had some sort of compromising software on it, would I be any more protected or would less damage be done on the Passport with its implementation of the Android runtime?

I would assume no, but this might be a poor example.
    There are limitations on what parts of the OS/file system the Android runtime has access to, but in truth you'll be exposed to the same risks.

Sandbox is no assurance of security.

Posted via CB10
    05-23-15 02:29 AM
    The Blackphone seems pretty basic!!!BlackBerry Passport vs Blackphone 2-img_20150523_012637_1.png

Posted via CB10
    05-23-15 03:28 AM
    BlackBerry Passport vs Blackphone 2-img_20150523_012526.png

Posted via CB10
    05-23-15 03:28 AM
    For such a �security conscious� community such as Crackberry, raised eyebrows at so many contributors on here not heard of this phone. Living in a sandbox are we?

Can�t speak for the phone OS they are running, but the guys behind this phone have already created highly credible apps for end-to-end encrypted voice calls and secure chat. Basic? I think not. Blackberry, in these areas alone, is weaker. In that respect, Blackphone is Blackberry�s competition, no matter their size.

It isn�t for me because you need friends to use the same encrypted apps it has on board. In an Enterprise setting, colleagues will be able to achieve their business� security/privacy objectives.

I enjoy the �Blackberry Experience� and my Passport but I wouldn�t sneer at the opposition.
    anon(9471936) likes this.
    05-23-15 11:55 AM
    For such a �security conscious� community such as Crackberry, raised eyebrows at so many contributors on here not heard of this phone. Living in a sandbox are we?

Can�t speak for the phone OS they are running, but the guys behind this phone have already created highly credible apps for end-to-end encrypted voice calls and secure chat. Basic? I think not. Blackberry, in these areas alone, is weaker. In that respect, Blackphone is Blackberry�s competition, no matter their size.

It isn�t for me because you need friends to use the same encrypted apps it has on board. In an Enterprise setting, colleagues will be able to achieve their business� security/privacy objectives.

I enjoy the �Blackberry Experience� and my Passport but I wouldn�t sneer at the opposition.
    Yep.

BlackBerry definitely isn't laughing.

Thing is, in the rush to state how inconsequential the company is, this thread raises its profile via Google search, which is EXACTLY what Silent Circle wants.
    05-23-15 01:00 PM

Riiight.

You've obviously not heard of SecuSmart which was THE competition for voice calls secure sms - which is offered on all mobile platforms and is OWNED by BlackBerry.

Posted by BlackBerry accept no compromise!
    05-23-15 04:32 PM
    I obviously hadn't!
    Can't wait for it to be implemented in BB10, including BIS....
    05-24-15 01:06 AM
    Even if they seem harmless and their efforts can be perceived as laughable, I would actually take them as a serious competitor. We don't want BlackBerry 's ego to pull another incident like turning a blind eye to the iPhone, right?

Although, Chen sure seems more capable of handling those situations than Mike and Jim.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    morfinpower and anon(9169048) like this.
    05-24-15 01:16 AM
    I obviously hadn't!
    Can't wait for it to be implemented in BB10, including BIS....
    You can keep BIS.
    05-24-15 08:07 AM
    Even if they seem harmless and their efforts can be perceived as laughable, I would actually take them as a serious competitor. We don't want BlackBerry 's ego to pull another incident like turning a blind eye to the iPhone, right?

Although, Chen sure seems more capable of handling those situations than Mike and Jim.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    Agreed. I don't think BlackBerry is overlooking them.
    05-24-15 02:21 PM
    Blackphone is not invulnerable: World?s most ?NSA-proof? phone vulnerable to simple SMS hack ? RT News
    A simple SMS hack?? Oh dear!
    05-24-15 02:41 PM
    I'd say that this BlackPhone is utter rubbish!

Posted via CB10
    05-24-15 02:56 PM
    This was a very odd thread to read through, but I'm glad that I did.

I've been using Blackphone for 3 months now, and here is a comparative experience and a few clarifications - for background I began with a Z10, moved to a Z30 and then a Passport.

I will say immediately that I prefer the user experience of BB10 over all other devices, and as this is Crackberry, I'm just going to assume you guys all love it too and know it well.

PrivateOS which runs on Blackphone is a hardened OS fork of Android. It runs no Google play services of ANY kind. It comes with the following pre-installed:

Kismet Wi-Fi manager: stops your handset from advertising its presence by turning it off automatically. It also only connects to a known wireless network SSID if it recognizes the cell towers around it to prevent someone naming an SSID after a network your device is constantly asking to connect to. It also stops your device sending out its credentials to the wider world when you leave the Wi-Fi on - handy. It also manages bluetooth. Anyone doing pen testing with Backtrack or Kali Linux will appreciate how handy this kind of functionality is.

Silent Suite: encrypted messaging, voice and video. It is not dependent on Blackphone to Blackphone, and these apps are available in app stores for iOS and Android. They are peer to peer, do not store your IP address or contents of communication and if they were raided for records at any time, no one could hand over your details from Silent Circle.

FOR THE RECORD: Phil Zimmerman is behind this project, along with Mike Jenke. Phil Zimmerman gave the world PGP and fought the Crypto Wars so that we could all have privacy. What is with the hate here? Some of the comments are flat out ridiculous, and Silent Circle has exceptional credentials and Ed Snowden has even advocated their use in interviews. Honestly, please do research before throwing away what could be very interesting points of debate and use to us all.

This next part is in BB10, but not in Android except PrivateOS: Turning on and off app permissions for locations tracking, do not sleep, message reading (Facebook wants to read your SMS in app permissions - why?) etc. Not revolutionary for BB10 users, but it is in Android world AppOpps is no longer available.

Remote wipe features, Spider Oak (zero knowledge) storage built in along with Disconnect services and secure connections right out of the box - I'll be honest, I love it for its features, but I hate the Android UI and wish it was BB10.

As for the Blackphone hack at DefCon? I'm just going to paste Ars Technica for that one:

"Sawyer's Blackphone hack was in many ways already moot by the time he demonstrated it. In part, it relied on an already-patched problem in Blackphone’s remote wipe software, which Sawyer hadn’t downloaded—mostly because he bought the phone at Def Con and didn’t want to do anything over the Wi-Fi at the conference.

In a conversation with Ars, Sawyer said that the hack required three vulnerabilities in all—one that is a lower-threat vulnerability to a wide range of Android-based devices and has not yet been fully disclosed. Additionally, he said, the rooting of the Blackphone required that the attacker:

have physical access to the phone and connect it to a computer via USB,
    configure the phone against Blackphone’s set-up recommendations,
    not install encryption on the device,
    ignore an unknown application source warning, and
    have the phone’s PIN code.

In other words, to hack the Blackphone, the hacker would have to have either obtained it from a very na�ve user or bought the phone himself."

There's a lot to be learned from Silent Circle and Blackphone, and BlackBerry are obviously paying attention - this is good, and as a previous post highlighted, we don't want another iPhone ignoring equivalent here.

I'm now using a Passport and a Blackphone 1. I won't be giving up either one any time soon, and both fulfill something I need out of the tools I use - and these are just tools, there's no reason to take sides in the matter: use what's right for you.

I hope this helps clarify a few things - for myself, I am a very satisfied user of both services. I won't give up my Silent Services: not ever. I also won't give up my Passport for running my business with the Hub features.

No more mud slinging - these are all great devices, but fulfill different things very well.
    05-27-15 12:20 PM
    Blackphone? What a horrible name for a phone. Sounds dark.
    05-27-15 02:32 PM

I've been using Blackphone for 3 months now, and here is a comparative experience and a few clarifications - for background I began with a Z10, moved to a Z30 and then a Passport.

I will say immediately that I prefer the user experience of BB10 over all other devices, and as this is Crackberry, I'm just going to assume you guys all love it too and know it well.

PrivateOS which runs on Blackphone is a hardened OS fork of Android. It runs no Google play services of ANY kind. It comes with the following pre-installed:

Kismet Wi-Fi manager: stops your handset from advertising its presence by turning it off automatically. It also only connects to a known wireless network SSID if it recognizes the cell towers around it to prevent someone naming an SSID after a network your device is constantly asking to connect to. It also stops your device sending out its credentials to the wider world when you leave the Wi-Fi on - handy. It also manages bluetooth. Anyone doing pen testing with Backtrack or Kali Linux will appreciate how handy this kind of functionality is.

Silent Suite: encrypted messaging, voice and video. It is not dependent on Blackphone to Blackphone, and these apps are available in app stores for iOS and Android. They are peer to peer, do not store your IP address or contents of communication and if they were raided for records at any time, no one could hand over your details from Silent Circle.

FOR THE RECORD: Phil Zimmerman is behind this project, along with Mike Jenke. Phil Zimmerman gave the world PGP and fought the Crypto Wars so that we could all have privacy. What is with the hate here? Some of the comments are flat out ridiculous, and Silent Circle has exceptional credentials and Ed Snowden has even advocated their use in interviews. Honestly, please do research before throwing away what could be very interesting points of debate and use to us all.

This next part is in BB10, but not in Android except PrivateOS: Turning on and off app permissions for locations tracking, do not sleep, message reading (Facebook wants to read your SMS in app permissions - why?) etc. Not revolutionary for BB10 users, but it is in Android world AppOpps is no longer available.

Remote wipe features, Spider Oak (zero knowledge) storage built in along with Disconnect services and secure connections right out of the box - I'll be honest, I love it for its features, but I hate the Android UI and wish it was BB10.

As for the Blackphone hack at DefCon? I'm just going to paste Ars Technica for that one:

"Sawyer's Blackphone hack was in many ways already moot by the time he demonstrated it. In part, it relied on an already-patched problem in Blackphone�s remote wipe software, which Sawyer hadn�t downloaded�mostly because he bought the phone at Def Con and didn�t want to do anything over the Wi-Fi at the conference.

In a conversation with Ars, Sawyer said that the hack required three vulnerabilities in all�one that is a lower-threat vulnerability to a wide range of Android-based devices and has not yet been fully disclosed. Additionally, he said, the rooting of the Blackphone required that the attacker:

configure the phone against Blackphone�s set-up recommendations,
    have the phone�s PIN code.

In other words, to hack the Blackphone, the hacker would have to have either obtained it from a very na�ve user or bought the phone himself."

There's a lot to be learned from Silent Circle and Blackphone, and BlackBerry are obviously paying attention - this is good, and as a previous post highlighted, we don't want another iPhone ignoring equivalent here.

I'm now using a Passport and a Blackphone 1. I won't be giving up either one any time soon, and both fulfill something I need out of the tools I use - and these are just tools, there's no reason to take sides in the matter: use what's right for you.

I hope this helps clarify a few things - for myself, I am a very satisfied user of both services. I won't give up my Silent Services: not ever. I also won't give up my Passport for running my business with the Hub features.

No more mud slinging - these are all great devices, but fulfill different things very well.
    This exactly. I wouldn't belittle the Blackphone's security features, just as I wouldn't exaggerate BB10's.

Posted via CB10
    06-02-15 02:44 AM
    Blackphone? What a horrible name for a phone. Sounds dark.
    LoL

T-Mobile  вιaсĸвεггч� Passport � Autoloaded 10.3.1.2582 Sachesi upgraded to 10.3.1.2744
    06-02-15 07:38 AM
    Runs android, won't come close

Posted via CB10 using my Classic! Check out www.gtxguns.com!
    06-02-15 07:45 AM

"Sawyer's Blackphone hack was in many ways already moot by the time he demonstrated it. In part, it relied on an already-patched problem in Blackphone�s remote wipe software, which Sawyer hadn�t downloaded�mostly because he bought the phone at Def Con and didn�t want to do anything over the Wi-Fi at the conference.

In a conversation with Ars, Sawyer said that the hack required three vulnerabilities in all�one that is a lower-threat vulnerability to a wide range of Android-based devices and has not yet been fully disclosed. Additionally, he said, the rooting of the Blackphone required that the attacker:

configure the phone against Blackphone�s set-up recommendations,
    have the phone�s PIN code.

Thanks for the ONLY insightful post in this thread.

Two questions:
    1) How did you get the BlackPhone (looks like it's invite only)?
    2) Can you load apps from outside their app store?

Sent from my BlackBerry Passport.
    06-02-15 11:49 AM
77 1234