Well how is this phone? Anyone have it?
    12-27-19 12:07 PM
    3500+ topic views and this is the 27th post, stats reflect the fact we speculated so much whether it would be good or not, now people do not want to tell us if its great!
    12-27-19 12:17 PM
    3500+ topic views and this is the 27th post, stats reflect the fact we speculated so much whether it would be good or not, now people do not want to tell us if its great!
    No one has a production device yet.
    12-27-19 12:48 PM
    No one has a production device yet.
    So for now we remain with the understanding of its dimensions and OS, as well as holding our breath if the Passport would be bricked on 1/1/2020...
    12-27-19 12:56 PM
    So for now we remain with the understanding of its dimensions and OS, as well as holding our breath if the Passport would be bricked on 1/1/2020...
    There have been reviews of pre-production devices.

There is nothing that can brick a working Passport or any BB10 device.
    12-27-19 12:57 PM
    There have been reviews of pre-production devices.

There is nothing that can brick a working Passport or any BB10 device.
    This is rather good news...
    Last edited by Radoslav Valkov; 12-27-19 at 04:08 PM.
    12-27-19 01:09 PM
    It's only very, very superficially similar to a Passport. You'd have to be pretty single-mindedly focused on the PKB to consider this kind of product. I honestly wouldn't touch it on anything but a public WiFi network, and I would never add a single piece of personal data to this device. It's a WiFi burner only as far as I'm concerned.

From the screen of my trusty Z10 using the exceptional BlackBerry VKB.
    ppeters914 likes this.
    12-27-19 01:50 PM
    It's only very, very superficially similar to a Passport. You'd have to be pretty single-mindedly focused on the PKB to consider this kind of product. I honestly wouldn't touch it on anything but a public WiFi network, and I would never add a single piece of personal data to this device. It's a WiFi burner only as far as I'm concerned.

Kinda like my BE KEYone and my AT&T KEYone too if not able to force the most recent update.
    12-27-19 01:58 PM
    No, I wouldn't retire my PP just to go over to this thing....
    12-28-19 07:48 AM
    Purely as a thought provoker. Forgetting all the logistical problems. What would Passport 11 be today?
    12-28-19 08:52 AM
    Purely as a thought provoker. Forgetting all the logistical problems. What would Passport 11 be today?
    I believe there is at least one, if not multiple, "What If", "If Only", etc. threads already. No need to hijack this one.
    12-28-19 10:31 AM
    Kickstarter campaign and because I have bought Chinese products before and never had a problem

Posted via CB10 on a Passport
    Lol you always have to be concerned with Chinese products.

Posted via CB10
    12-29-19 12:45 PM
    What I find ironic are those CB member that swear off BBAndroid since the PRIV for it’s Google Android intrusions but will buy a questionable Unihertz device running unknown Android with possible compromise.
    ppeters914 likes this.
    12-29-19 12:55 PM
    What I find ironic are those CB member that swear off BBAndroid since the PRIV for it’s Google Android intrusions but will buy a questionable Unihertz device running unknown Android with possible compromise.
    Ok some that swore off BBMo devices over a perceived subtle flaw or aesthetic choice.
    12-29-19 12:58 PM
    "According to mobile security firm Kryptowire, a particularly nasty brand of Android software did just that, transmitting text, data, call, location, and app data to a Chinese server every 72 hours."
    Similar with stock Android devices sending your data to Google servers?

Posted via CB10
    12-30-19 04:26 AM
    Similar with stock Android devices sending your data to Google servers?

Posted via CB10
    There is a huge difference. The user signs an agreement to share data with Google, and can toggle many controls to control that information to some extent.

The other case is pure data theft.

12-30-19 04:52 AM
    There is a huge difference. The user signs an agreement to share data with Google, and can toggle many controls to control that information to some extent.

The other case is pure data theft.

I see. I am not an Android user, so I am not aware about how much you can toggle off or not. Watching the following video, is it possible to switch off all the Google surveillance and still be able using the Android smartphone?

Posted via CB10
    12-30-19 08:18 AM
    Sounds like users in some markets are now starting to receive their units.... coming days there should be some first hand reviews.
    12-30-19 08:46 AM
    I see. I am not an Android user, so I am not aware about how much you can toggle off or not. Watching the following video, is it possible to switch off all the Google surveillance and still be able using the Android smartphone?

Posted via CB10
    Not all of it, no. But you can do a lot. The most important thing is to avoid apps that gather the information, like Facebook, WhatsApp, Chrome, etc. Turn off Web and App activities and location services, etc. Google isn't the bad guy in that they are more transparent and controllable than many other services such as Facebook. It's just a question of how much data you want to share with companies.

I prefer not to share ANY personal data with any free services, so I take the steps required to come as close to that as is practical.

For Web browsing, I use alias profiles, VPNs and private browser sessions that block tracking cookies. I try not to use ad blockers because I want to reward the sites I use with ad dollars. I just want them target at me based on my online behavior, not my real-world profile such as age, gender, race, nationality, etc.

12-30-19 11:27 AM
    Don't use any Chinese phones they are spying tools for the prc, that's why I never use any blackberry produce by TCL.

Posted via CB10
    01-21-20 09:04 AM
    Those guys at Unihertz clearly didn't do their homework. Rugged cell phones have been around for quite some time and even then they didn't sell as good as the manufacturer hoped they would.

Construction workers and technicians just got a cheap phone and the boss replaced it when it was broken. Still a lot cheaper than rugged designs.

'the people of Rome' just wanted a modern Passport. Maybe not with Android but with an updated Android support.

Maybe licenses and patents were in the way of producing a decent device. I don't know. But it's a bad marketing strategy to release a new pkb phone into a world where it's going to be judged by people knowing what a perfect pkb should look and feel like.

Posted via CB10
    01-22-20 12:24 AM
46 12