07-28-15 12:53 AM
84 ... 234
tools
    The return returns returns bin filled up... yeah !
    If you shake those bins, you can hear all the jangly volume keys!

Posted via CB10 // Passport SQW100-1 // 10.3.2.2339 // Cricket Wireless
    07-27-15 03:24 PM
    Had the Passport for a year now and only ever had the screen flickering issue which was resolved pretty sharpish. I use the phone constantly for work, constantly tapping out emails to colleagues and deuche bags in head office alike, taking calls, viewing documents and sneaky peeks at my social media. I have no issues ( except freezing sometimes on the inst10 app) with the phone and I think that's because I look after it. It's not in my back pocket to be accidentally sat on and it doesn't get tossed around. I don't even have a protective case.
    The point is, look after the passport and the passport looks after you.

Posted using my trusty BlackBerry Passport
    07-27-15 03:57 PM
    What I'm trying to say is there's a lot of thought and compromise when designing these devices. BlackBerry used a lot of metal on the phone and also kept it pretty thin. The combination of those 2 factors, plus what seems to be pushing the chip a little harder when running Android apps leads to a hotter device.
    It does get pretty warm, but it's not unsafe, and in my opinion, not a defect.
    The quality control threshold might have slipped down a bit with type of material used to glue the screen. Other than that what you are saying is exactly what people are not willing to listen. Screen lift is aggravated because of SoC Chip working overtime with android apps. People singularly fail to update that information or simply not willing to be reasonable. I remember some forum member stating that he got 100 Passports issued under BES to their staff and NONE of the device ever had any issue. Just try and explain this to people here that the admin sensibly controlled what goes on device and did not allow users to kill their Phones with overdose of android games and apps, you can foresee the comments and usual what have you been smoking mate comments.
    07-27-15 06:36 PM
    Boss throws down upwards of 60 large for new fones... who's gonna be the first one to complain to him/her...?

The quality control threshold might have slipped down a bit with type of material used to glue the screen. Other than that what you are saying is exactly what people are not willing to listen. Screen lift is aggravated because of SoC Chip working overtime with android apps. People singularly fail to update that information or simply not willing to be reasonable. I remember some forum member stating that he got 100 Passports issued under BES to their staff and NONE of the device ever had any issue. Just try and explain this to people here that the admin sensibly controlled what goes on device and did not allow users to kill their Phones with overdose of android games and apps, you can foresee the comments and usual what have you been smoking mate comments.
    07-27-15 10:07 PM
    Screen lift is aggravated because of SoC Chip working overtime with android apps.
    I disagree with that. BlackBerry did their testing with adhesives, it'd be naive to think otherwise. There's no way they would use an adhesive that loses effectiveness or fails around the range of temperatures the phone puts off.

I've had a handful of Passports now. I've also dealt with a few hardware issues, but no screen lift. Maybe I've gotten lucky, but I attribute it to how I carry my Passport; it's never been in a pocket or pressed against my body where the frame can torque. I personally think that's what causes, not all, but most of the screen lifts.
    07-27-15 11:47 PM
    My professor is always telling us that there are two faces on each coin. And every situation has advantages and disadvantages.

Now, let's see the positive sides of BlackBerry having poor quality and lack of apps:

(1) Double Typing - if you actually want to confuse the reader/ receiver, this comes in handy.

(2) Heating - if you love coffee and you are a slower drinker, you should know which side of your Passport your coffee should be placed to keep it warm.

(3) Screen Lifting - who needs Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge anyway?

(4) Lack of apps - every manager wants their staff to have that phone... seriously!

Posted via CB10
    JanuarJaguar and gmsm like this.
    07-28-15 12:04 AM
    The phone clearly has a heat issue in the top right hand corner. It also has a hardware issue with double typing. I have never sat on my phone and it's been in a case since it launched at AT&T. My replacement is heating up in the same corner while just watching youtube videos. Double typing has not returned yet, but I'm sure it's only a matter of time. The screen will probably come loose in the top right again as well as soon as my warranty runs out.

I'd definitely put this phone on notice... I still have a 9700 that has never been replaced and the keyboard is rock solid. My z10 is a day one launch and is still rocking like a champ.

To be honest, I'm totally surprised this phone hasn't seen some type of recall like the samsung active did when people found out it truly wasn't waterproof.

Posted via CB10
    Yep, this is a major issue. We have purchased loads of Passports and every one has had an issue on the top right corner. Today, I made a fifteen minute video and the top right corner got hot. Same thing when using the Internet via cellular network.

Clearly a design fault.

I'm assuming the adhesive is adversely affected by high temperature.

Change the adhesive, change the design so that the screen is held in place mechanically or change the way the heat is dissipated.

As ever, fanboys need not reply as you will be ignored

Posted via CB10
    JanuarJaguar likes this.
    07-28-15 12:38 AM
    or change the way the heat is dissipated.
    Yup, the "easier said then done" recommendation. You want a thin phone. You want a phone made of premium materials like metal. You want a fast phone with a powerful SoC. You want no heat.

You can't have it all. They could throttle the chip so it generates less heat, but people would complain that they're crippling performance. They could change materials and not use as much metal, but people would complain. You get my point,

Thermal design could be better, but it's not going to go away completely; passive cooling is passive cooling.
    JanuarJaguar likes this.
    07-28-15 12:51 AM
    Never had a problem of the above mention almost 2 months.

Blackberry Passport on telkomsel network
    07-28-15 12:53 AM
84 ... 234