Ditto...

Posted via CB10
    Ditto. But that's what insurance is for. Things happen. I saw a very nice new Mercedes broken down on the highway. Are all Mercedes crap as a result of that one? No.

RedBerry Passport / 10.3.2.2204 / Telus
    06-20-15 11:59 AM
    Ditto. But that's what insurance is for. Things happen. I saw a very nice new Mercedes broken down on the highway. Are all Mercedes crap as a result of that one? No.

RedBerry Passport / 10.3.2.2204 / Telus
    You have a poinnt, but I've been buying used devices for years annd years and have never had an issue. Bought this Passport new and withinn 2 months in began double typinng. Coupled with the massive amount of hardware defects menntionned on CrackBerry, and I believe this phone has more issues than others.

The materials are nice, but I thinnk QC annd batch quality went downhill after launch.

BlackBizzle my nizzle
    06-20-15 12:16 PM
    I'm surprised to hear about build quality. I've had mine since November and it's been rock solid. Even dropped it from about 1.2 meters onto it's face and not a mark. Yes it heats up at times when charging and heavy use. But i expect that.

Posted via CB10
    Yes. It heats up in the upper right corner when you charge it while streaming video, but it does not heat up if you unplug it.
    And yes, that is to be expected.
    06-20-15 02:45 PM
    Yes. It heats up in the upper right corner when you charge it while streaming video, but it does not heat up if you unplug it.
    And yes, that is to be expected.
    And this would usually be good design. The steel frame is dissipating heat inside the phone.

The issue is that the screen is probably glued to that frame, and the glue melts when the frame get hot. Also, a hot frame is easier to bend.

So all of these things working together makes for a warm phone, with a twised frame, and a lifted screen. It's just an unfortunate perfect storm.

Posted via CB10
    06-20-15 03:12 PM
    No problems here that restarting the phone wouldn't handle.
    Also I looked up the phone on amazon USA still available and actually the listing for amazon went
    Red the cheapest
    Black was mid price
    White still selling at the highest price

Tells me white is the most desirable
    06-20-15 03:20 PM
    you have noobs on this very forum, carrying the passport in their back pocket, sitting on it, opening topics on how their screen lifted, and then claim warranty. what would one expect?
    Amen to that. People are unnecessarily and / or unconsciously hard on their devices. I always see people walking around in their tight a$$ jeans with a rectangular shape on one a$$cheek, then they wonder why they break the screen! Now enter the Passport into that scenario and you've got bent phones with lifting screens and people wondering why... lOl

Posted via CB10
    06-20-15 10:20 PM
    And this would usually be good design. The steel frame is dissipating heat inside the phone.

The issue is that the screen is probably glued to that frame, and the glue melts when the frame get hot. Also, a hot frame is easier to bend.

So all of these things working together makes for a warm phone, with a twised frame, and a lifted screen. It's just an unfortunate perfect storm.

Posted via CB10
    It is not that hot when it gets" hot"
    Maybe 40-45C.
    06-20-15 11:00 PM
    Os reload will solve the heat issue. As for screen lifting, mostly caused by phone twisting. Do flatness check by tapping on each corner face down naked on flat surface, glass preferably. You will know when it is twisted. Just twist back, it will avoid the screen lifting in a long run. By using hard case can also avoid this. As for double type, just get mine back from warranty replacement few weeks ago. So far so good. Passport quality could have been better. I overestimate the quality.

Posted via CB10
    06-20-15 11:53 PM
    Os reload will solve the heat issue. As for screen lifting, mostly caused by phone twisting. Do flatness check by tapping on each corner face down naked on flat surface, glass preferably. You will know when it is twisted. Just twist back, it will avoid the screen lifting in a long run. By using hard case can also avoid this. As for double type, just get mine back from warranty replacement few weeks ago. So far so good. Passport quality could have been better. I overestimate the quality.

Posted via CB10
    This is the truth. The issues are very simple and straightforward.

Posted via CB10
    06-21-15 12:09 AM
    Unlike auto dealers, Amazon will charge you a restocking fee (20% perhaps) after the 14 days.
    Amazon wants you to keep the phone and not be a 'noon' as someone here mentioned.
    Which Amazon are you referring to? eg USA, Canada, UK, Australia? I've never come across this restocking fee in UK or Australia.
    06-21-15 05:40 AM
    The phone clearly has a heat issue in the top right hand corner. It also has a hardware issue with double typing. I have never sat on my phone and it's been in a case since it launched at AT&T. My replacement is heating up in the same corner while just watching youtube videos. Double typing has not returned yet, but I'm sure it's only a matter of time. The screen will probably come loose in the top right again as well as soon as my warranty runs out.

I'd definitely put this phone on notice... I still have a 9700 that has never been replaced and the keyboard is rock solid. My z10 is a day one launch and is still rocking like a champ.

To be honest, I'm totally surprised this phone hasn't seen some type of recall like the samsung active did when people found out it truly wasn't waterproof.

Posted via CB10
    Not "The Phone", maybe your phone. I bought 2 and have none of the aforementioned issues. One thing I would say though is that from what I've read here, the metal strip running along the edge of the phone is a part of the phone's cooling system and if it gets warm, that's an indication that it's doing what it's supposed to do.

Posted via CB10
    GeoK likes this.
    06-21-15 06:18 AM
    Amen to that. People are unnecessarily and / or unconsciously hard on their devices. I always see people walking around in their tight a$$ jeans with a rectangular shape on one a$$cheek, then they wonder why they break the screen! Now enter the Passport into that scenario and you've got bent phones with lifting screens and people wondering why... lOl

Posted via CB10
    Well you can thank Chen for people stuffing the Passport into those pockets. He guaranteed that it wouldn't bend.
    06-21-15 06:20 AM
    JC guaranteed it? I wish he'd do something about native apps for Kindle, Medscape, Netflix and Spotify. We do not need more devices and droid.

Posted via CB10
    06-21-15 06:47 AM
    Please see here for restocking fees from Amazon website:
    Amazon.com Help: Restocking Fees

Which Amazon are you referring to? eg USA, Canada, UK, Australia? I've never come across this restocking fee in UK or Australia.
    apollo64 likes this.
    06-21-15 06:56 AM
    I always thought the AT&T Passport was a better built after the prototype "factory unlocked" passport, but it looks like even AT&T version is having screen lifting issues. That's really too bad.
    06-21-15 09:26 AM
    Same here, never had a defective phone. Knock wood

Posted via CB10
    I've had a mixed bag. I've had devices that just plain sucked. I've had devices that were rock solid. And I've had devices that started malfunctioning after a while. My PP so far has been great. No real complaints.
    06-21-15 09:45 AM
    Not the usual

"There must be a giant quality problem because I had an issue!"

vs

"What are you smoking? I've had it since day one and I've never had an issue so it mustn't exist"

I swear, a lot of posters here would fail a basic statistics class.
    06-21-15 09:50 AM
    I've had a mixed bag. I've had devices that just plain sucked. I've had devices that were rock solid. And I've had devices that started malfunctioning after a while. My PP so far has been great. No real complaints.
    I've had issues with most, but not of the nature of these Passport issues.

I remember the Storm suddenly was unable to charge. The port had died. Walked into VZW and they handed me a new one.

Wife's Tour (forgot the number)? Track ball eventually died, got replacement.

The Torch 9860? Developed a non-responsive back and menu key. Tips here on CB suggested dousing with alcohol.. lol. Eventually got it replaced as well.

Wife's Bold 9900? Still going strong.

My Z10? My wife crushed one when she was angry at me. Then, the replacement eventually suffered the sudden blinking light death syndrome... never to recover. Luckily I had already moved onto a Z30.

Wife's Z10? Kept restarting randomly.

Wife's Q10? Still going strong.

The Z30? Still going strong.

My Passport purchased on launch day? Spilled water on the keyboard, malfunctioned for a few hours,.. but eventually returned to normal.

So... who knows. Maybe having issues is more of the norm than we like to think with BlackBerry.

Posted via CB10
    06-21-15 10:12 AM
    Not the usual

"There must be a giant quality problem because I had an issue!"

vs

"What are you smoking? I've had it since day one and I've never had an issue so it mustn't exist"

I swear, a lot of posters here would fail a basic statistics class.
    I've gone through a statistically significant number of Passports, I am certain. There is no doubt BlackBerry has QC issues.

Posted via CB10
    06-21-15 10:14 AM
    I've gone through a statistically significant number of Passports, I am certain. There is no doubt BlackBerry has QC issues.

Posted via CB10
    Haha yeah I'm sure 10 out of a million is statistically significant.. that's not even how significance is measured but whatever

Though I agree their QC is absolutely terrible. The Mexican manufacturing faci lity is really doing a terrible job.
    I'm curious to know if the Canadian made gold passports have these issues?
    06-21-15 10:59 AM
    Haha yeah I'm sure 10 out of a million is statistically significant.. that's not even how significance is measured but whatever

Though I agree their QC is absolutely terrible. The Mexican manufacturing faci lity is really doing a terrible job.
    I'm curious to know if the Canadian made gold passports have these issues?
    Dude, 10 is so significant, that's nnearly all the Passports!

Haha, of course you know the annswer is no to the gold Passports. Doubbt there's build quality issues, but I ccould see double typinng happeninng

BlackBizzle my nizzle
    06-21-15 01:05 PM
    Sseemmss you have the ddoouubbbbllee type misery toooo

Dude, 10 is so significant, that's nnearly all the Passports!

Haha, of course you know the annswer is no to the gold Passports. Doubbt there's build quality issues, but I ccould see double typinng happeninng

BlackBizzle my nizzle
    06-21-15 01:30 PM
    Sseemmss you have the ddoouubbbbllee type misery toooo
    Cool bro, you can take a real issue and make a joke out of it. Head to my thread with the videos, then post again.
    06-21-15 01:44 PM
    I have had the wifi misery since the first day when it auto-updated to 10.3.0.? in november... the wifi is somewhat better... I have the keyboard light sometimes when I want it & often not... I do Not have doubletype (yet)... my PP lives in its stilgut cover in my front pocket... No screen lift... I do not put on leaks... I do use android apps... this device will never go to BlackBerry to be replaced with a filthy refurb... if it fails, I am gone... just sayin'
    06-21-15 01:46 PM
    I've had my passport since launch and never had any of those issues. The device has been rock solid. Yes i,ve dropped it a few times but no damage to speak of so far.

Posted via CB10
    06-21-15 02:04 PM
84 1234