BlackBerry Passport under review on amazon. Interesting....
    BlackBerry Passport under review-img_20150619_180749.png

LeapSTR100-1/10.3.2....
    06-19-15 12:08 PM
    Indeed. Always wondered how many customer issues could cause that.

Posted via CB10
    06-19-15 12:12 PM
    Well it sounds pretty reasonable considering how many defective Passports I've run into since launch.

Posted via CB10
    gmsm and Marcin Dabrowsky like this.
    06-19-15 01:11 PM
    you have noobs on this very forum, carrying the passport in their back pocket, sitting on it, opening topics on how their screen lifted, and then claim warranty. what would one expect?
    pgg101 and ProjectBrett like this.
    06-19-15 01:14 PM
    What drives me crazy are the posters in these forums who comment with the advice to try a phone for 14 days and then send it back if they don't like it. This causes problems for the vendor and of course BlackBerry who gets stuck with thousands of phones that nobody wants because they are now refurbed. Try buy a car and return it after 14 days because you don't like it and see what the dealer is gonna do!

Passport SQW 100-1 OS 10.3.2.2204
    06-19-15 01:54 PM
    The phone clearly has a heat issue in the top right hand corner. It also has a hardware issue with double typing. I have never sat on my phone and it's been in a case since it launched at AT&T. My replacement is heating up in the same corner while just watching youtube videos. Double typing has not returned yet, but I'm sure it's only a matter of time. The screen will probably come loose in the top right again as well as soon as my warranty runs out.

I'd definitely put this phone on notice... I still have a 9700 that has never been replaced and the keyboard is rock solid. My z10 is a day one launch and is still rocking like a champ.

To be honest, I'm totally surprised this phone hasn't seen some type of recall like the samsung active did when people found out it truly wasn't waterproof.

Posted via CB10
    grigoryev_kv and gmsm like this.
    06-19-15 02:10 PM
    Well, this doesn't necessarily refer to a defect with the device itself. Can be any number of things. Packaging, something missing, inventory numbers.

Fortunately my Passport doesn't exhibit a problem with double-typing or overheating so far. Touch wood.

Posted via CB10
    06-19-15 02:16 PM
    I had 3 Nokias, 2 Palms, 4 iPhones and now a BB Passport. Never had any problems, NEVER! Always reading the Forums and wondering... I must be a lucky *******!
    So glad!

PP SQW100-1/ OS 10.3.2.2204
    mister2d and abdullah1982 like this.
    06-19-15 02:25 PM
    My Passport had a defective touch sensor in the middle od physical keyboard. So I am not surprised by this.

Posted via CB10
    06-19-15 03:15 PM
    I had 3 Nokias, 2 Palms, 4 iPhones and now a BB Passport. Never had any problems, NEVER! Always reading the Forums and wondering... I must be a lucky *******!
    So glad!

PP SQW100-1/ OS 10.3.2.2204
    Same here, never had a defective phone. Knock wood

Posted via CB10
    06-19-15 03:19 PM
    Unlike auto dealers, Amazon will charge you a restocking fee (20% perhaps) after the 14 days.
    Amazon wants you to keep the phone and not be a 'noon' as someone here mentioned.
    06-19-15 04:09 PM
    you have noobs on this very forum, carrying the passport in their back pocket, sitting on it, opening topics on how their screen lifted, and then claim warranty. what would one expect?
    Don't joke. The Passport will bend with ginger usage.

Posted via CB10
    06-20-15 12:13 AM

BlackBerry Passport under review-img_20150525_172102299.jpg

Sitting o a desk most of the time.
    JosevuN3 and gmsm like this.
    06-20-15 12:17 AM
    I too have never experienced any of the above.

Posted via CB10
    Luke Beauchamp likes this.
    06-20-15 12:52 AM
    Shame, 2 Passports at home and no issues like you guys.

African inventory of these devices are clearly far superior!

STA100-6 White
    06-20-15 01:00 AM
    The phone clearly has a heat issue in the top right hand corner. It also has a hardware issue with double typing.
    The double typing I absolutely agree is an issue. I'm returning an AT&T Passport tomorrow that had insane double/triple typing. The heat you're speaking of isn't an issue, it's just thermodynamics and a natural byproduct of the SoC. There's a lot of decision making when it comes to designing laptops, tablets, hybrids, and phones around the issue of heat, not just around performance, but also safety.

It's a fine balance between materials, thickness, performance, etc, etc. For example, the new overpriced pretty Apple book thing with the Core M throttles like a mother****er and severely limits the performance of the chip inside. That's the decision Apple went to keep the device that thin and fanless (some companies are actively cooling Core M machines). If you ever watched the YouTuber LinusTechTips, he watercooled the machine by literally placing it in water and boosted the performance by 2x. But even though the chip throttles thermally, the machine stays pretty cool because Core M has a low TDP, and Apple designed the entire chassis to be a heatsink.

What I'm trying to say is there's a lot of thought and compromise when designing these devices. BlackBerry used a lot of metal on the phone and also kept it pretty thin. The combination of those 2 factors, plus what seems to be pushing the chip a little harder when running Android apps leads to a hotter device.

It does get pretty warm, but it's not unsafe, and in my opinion, not a defect.

BlackBerry could have underclocked the SoC to help the device run cooler, but I guarantee people would have cried about that. The new Oslo, if entirely metal, could address the thermal aspect by dissipating the heat across the entire device, rather than concentrating it on the side rails.
    06-20-15 01:01 AM
    The phone clearly has a heat issue in the top right hand corner. It also has a hardware issue with double typing. I have never sat on my phone and it's been in a case since it launched at AT&T. My replacement is heating up in the same corner while just watching youtube videos. Double typing has not returned yet, but I'm sure it's only a matter of time. The screen will probably come loose in the top right again as well as soon as my warranty runs out.

I'd definitely put this phone on notice... I still have a 9700 that has never been replaced and the keyboard is rock solid. My z10 is a day one launch and is still rocking like a champ.

To be honest, I'm totally surprised this phone hasn't seen some type of recall like the samsung active did when people found out it truly wasn't waterproof.

Posted via CB10
    no double typing for for me and ive had my passport from release day as for heat I got none of that maybe just at&t models
    06-20-15 01:03 AM

Posted via CB10
    I have none of the problems you've mentioned.

Posted via CB10
    06-20-15 09:18 AM
    Same here. I have had the passport since October 2014. Absolutely no problem.
    sonicpix likes this.
    06-20-15 09:32 AM
    I'm surprised to hear about build quality. I've had mine since November and it's been rock solid. Even dropped it from about 1.2 meters onto it's face and not a mark. Yes it heats up at times when charging and heavy use. But i expect that.

Posted via CB10
    06-20-15 10:06 AM
    Had mine since Nov and had minor issues as like the volume up key not working, logo rusting (just used hand sanitizer, same treatment as 5 previous BlackBerrys) the logo coming of, I guess I am yet to experiment the double typing and the screen coming of, but really hopes those issues doen't happen to me

Posted via CB10
    06-20-15 10:28 AM
    Maybe I just got a lemon, hopefully this new Passport doesn't experience any issues. I think the heat in the top right hand corner causes the glue used to release. Hopefully I'm wrong and won't see this issue again.

I took a picture of the screen lifting as well as the phone condition. I wanted to be able to prove it wasn't my fault from a physical damage standpoint etc. But, this lifting is very similar to many posts I have seen before in the forums.

BlackBerry Passport under review-img_20150522_154537.jpg
    It's was lifting just enough to let light bleed through. I felt it was only a matter of time before it got worse. A better adhesive would most likely solve the issue.

Posted via CB10
    06-20-15 11:07 AM
    5 stars... Nice

Posted via CB10
    06-20-15 11:12 AM
    What really impresses me about the Passport issues is that I am still excited about buying it even knowing that I might encounter these issues. I would even tell a prospective buyer about these issues whilst fully recommending the device.

I think the difference for me here is that products that disappoint me are those that are misrepresented, or are deliberately built to under-deliver on their potential.

With the Passport, BlackBerry just seems to have been affected by a technical mishap. They've been making smartphones since the beginning of the industry so they know "not" to risk product quality by gleaning savings from cheap materials. They also selected top-of-the-line internal components and design… stuff happened here… somehow, somewhere.

If this "under review" status is related to the defects, it further reinforces my love for Amazon and Government Standards/Regulations in general. It's nice for everyone to hold each other to high standards and handle disputes as civilly and maturely as Amazon is doing. I shudder to imagine this situation being managed by many of the ranting, venomous, disdainful, emotional, reactionary customers or observers (myself included) who have been affected by the issues. We need amiable people dealing with these conflicts.

I hope BlackBerry figures out a cost-effective way to repair these devices because it seems most of the customers affected are asking for an exchange, not an outright return so the Passport is still a successful product. These refurbished devices would be good value.
    HereticHermit likes this.
    06-20-15 11:15 AM
    Same here. I have had the passport since October 2014. Absolutely no problem.
    Ditto...

Posted via CB10
    06-20-15 11:43 AM
84 123 ...