Tested with my Note 3. I can swipe away apps as fast as my reflexes allow with no hesitation. I can also hit the home button at any time and swipe through my home screens with no hesitation. It has to be an OS problem.
    For sure. The OS is clearly waiting for the process of closing the app before it lets the user "move on". Should be easy fix for the future. But all these details matter in the overall experience of the phone.
    11-01-14 06:58 PM
    For sure. The OS is clearly waiting for the process of closing the app before it lets the user "move on". Should be easy fix for the future. But all these details matter in the overall experience of the phone.
    I think this is part of a wider trend where background processes are taking priority over UI response. This should not happen.

Posted via CB10
    11-01-14 07:05 PM
    I don't know if it's something done in hand also, but in the video, those actions are all done with the phone laying on a table. I know when I try to do things on my phone, and ipod/ipad while they are just laying down, I have things like that happen. I don't know that I would call the split seconds that I can see, the kind of lag that I'd call a big problem.

Posted via CB10
    11-01-14 07:10 PM
    I'm sorry but I don't see any lag in that video at all. The only problem is see is you're not hitting the X precise enough for the apps to exit properly.

Op if you feel the lag is driving you crazy, please move on and sell your Passport and go get yourself a Samsung phone and you will know the definition of lag. For all other passport users who don't see lag please move on and enjoy your phone. Don't be discouraged by one person's opinion.
    Last edited by thymaster; 11-01-14 at 08:10 PM.
    11-01-14 07:21 PM
    One question... not sure if this was asked but do you have a screen protector on your Passport. I tried what you did on my Passport and never got any of the responsiveness problems that you're experiencing.

I had friends that have issues like this with some screen protectors they purchased.

Posted via CB10
    11-01-14 07:36 PM
    OP, I have major issues with my first Passport (I've posted about it in other threads). I had to get it replace, I think you should do the same.
    11-01-14 07:42 PM
    One question... not sure if this was asked but do you have a screen protector on your Passport. I tried what you did on my Passport and never got any of the responsiveness problems that you're experiencing.

I had friends that have issues like this with some screen protectors they purchased.

Posted via CB10
    No screen protector said by op a few responses up.
    11-01-14 08:08 PM
    This is the silliest video I've ever seen. How often are you closing apps and then IMMEDIATELY switching to the hub. This is trivial. This is nitpicking. Sorry buddy, but this in no way a big deal.
    11-01-14 08:11 PM
    It depends... Quad-core processors are very good to fool the specs "wh0res" that exist in spades in the smartphone comunity. I bet most apps don't even use 2 cores, let alone 4 or even 8.... Passport might have many cores, but if apps use 1 or 2 cores, it might not have advantage over previous dual core processors.

Look at the iphone, has only 2 cores, but very powerfull 2 cores... So it's actualy the fastest phone in most apps compared to androids with multi-cores.

Very few desktop software use 4 cores... why phones would need 4 cores? I'm sure most cores spend their life just sitting doing nothing
    Quad core does benefit the system. It allows faster background threading, there is a noticeable difference in the Passport vs. The Z10/Q10. Scrolling with be smoother, apps open quicker, just ask those who've used the Passport with Android Apps. Its night and day vs the older BB10 phones.
    11-01-14 08:13 PM
    This is the silliest video I've ever seen. How often are you closing apps and then IMMEDIATELY switching to the hub. This is trivial. This is nitpicking. Sorry buddy, but this in no way a big deal.
    I guess if someone really wanted to find issues, you can scrutinize every phone out there. I am just dumbfounded as to why would someone need to close apps as fast as your reflex can or to work that FAST to swipe to the app selection screen nano seconds after closing apps. I guess just because you can?

Posted via CB10
    chewblock likes this.
    11-01-14 08:26 PM
    There is a thread on android central about the note 4 lagging due to touch wiz supposedly the fix is to set animation speed at a lower setting.

I have tried to recreate the so called lagging on my Passport and have not been able to do so. The only issue I have had was when I was in the hub and had to double or triple swipe to exit and that's because I very lightly touched the screen which is exactly what the OP did in his video. So in my honest opinion this has been way overblown. And if it does happen to be an optimization problem and I say if then BlackBerry will release an update sooner rather than later to fix the issue.

Loving my Passport!
    11-01-14 08:26 PM
    I would assume that the OS only "activates" the swipe motion once the process of closing the app (animation+closing app) is completed. Maybe the animation isn't long enough for the app to close, so the OS waits for the app to fully close to "release" other OS funtions.
    Real possibility. I have noticed that the icon for apps that are slow to close will appear slightly translucent until the app has actually closed (indicating the app is unavailable). In most cases, the active frame for the given app will have been closed for a second or two while this happens. Perhaps the OS intentionally gives higher priority to closing these apps properly in the event that something may be locked up. Pure speculation on my part, but could be related nonetheless.

That being said, the few times I have seen this on my device have hardly made it feel like it was prone to lag. Much faster than my Z10, that I am certain of.

Posted via BBCB10PP
    ladeberry likes this.
    11-01-14 08:38 PM
    To all the people being so defensive chill out. I get this is a fan site but geez some people here are so ridiculous to the point where when it seems like you are criticizing a device they take it as a personal attack and become very hostile and aggressive. This is legitimate but it's not only on the passport as I can reproduce on my Z10 as well, both on 10.3.1. If I closed an app and try to swipe very fast to get to the hub there's some delay. The first 1-2 touches may not be responsive right after closing it. It's not a major problem but it's clearly an area for improvement.
    Exactly. This IS for sure an issue. I've had the same problems. Sad to see such ignorant vitriol.

Posted via CB10
    11-01-14 08:46 PM
    Just no. When you get used to the phone, you want to get things done FAST. After some use, we have that muscle memory that let us do things fast without thinking, so "slow down" is not the answer. It's a lack of optimization so it should be corrected.
    The thinking that "mediocre" is "good enought" is what sinks blackberry.
    Just yes. Of course I want things done FAST with my Passport and as far as my Passport is concerned, I have no issues whatsoever. I don't have to constantly open, close, open, close, open, close apps and swipe around like a maniac to multitask with this device. I'm calm and relaxed when I use my Passport and still managed to get things done pretty fast.
    11-01-14 09:45 PM
    You read my mind. I stopped watching the video after his constant opening, closing, swiping left to right and etc.
    11-01-14 09:48 PM
    This 'lag' is real. I have the same problem. Upon closing or minimising an app, the phone becomes unresponsive to input for up to a second. It's very frustrating. I'm using the phone the same way I used my z10 and that phone had no such issues.

Posted via CB10
    11-01-14 09:57 PM
    To all the people being so defensive chill out. I get this is a fan site but geez some people here are so ridiculous to the point where when it seems like you are criticizing a device they take it as a personal attack and become very hostile and aggressive. This is legitimate but it's not only on the passport as I can reproduce on my Z10 as well, both on 10.3.1. If I closed an app and try to swipe very fast to get to the hub there's some delay. The first 1-2 touches may not be responsive right after closing it. It's not a major problem but it's clearly an area for improvement.

Well, if only the OP called out for problems which were visible in the video he made. There's no lag in the video, no unresponsive screen in the video, unless he's clearly not even swiped properly, and he's called it unresponsive and lagging? He could have done the same thing for his iPhone, Android, or Windows phone, and I'd have still said the same thing: BS. None of what he claims is visible in the video.

While this device or any other device for that matter could have issues like the pp being horrible for one handed use, or the pp having the worst camera of all flagships, or even lagging or unresponsive screen, point is: it should actually be present. It isn't here.

Just because someone is being (rightly) censured (for claiming something which his own video debunks), it doesn't mean you have to defend him. I couldn't care less if it was a BlackBerry, an iPhone or an Android, he'd have fetched the same response. His claims are just aren't backed by his video.

Posted via CB10
    chewblock likes this.
    11-01-14 10:02 PM
    I get the same type of thing on my Z30 ever since 10.3
    Even on 10.3.1
    Never saw it before on my Z10 or Z30 before. Sometimes I can't open an email. And if you want stay that I am pressing the wrong place, why wouldn't the email above or below it open? Takes three or four presses to open it. Even if I wait.
    11-01-14 10:11 PM
    Stop fighting guys!
    I have the same "thing" on my Passport, I don't see it as a problem since it only happens when I close apps. I usually get like 2 seconds of "unresponsiveness" then everything is back to smooth.
    I also notice that it happens sometimes when I swipe up to unlock the screen, I have to swip 2-4 times for the screen to recognize the swipe action. But it doesn't happen everyday.
    Seriously people, you have to understand that nothing is perfect.
    Just live with it if its bearable!

Posted via CB10
    chewblock likes this.
    11-01-14 10:30 PM
    OP is right. When I first viewed his video I thought he was a bit of a jackass because his movements seemed too fast and erratic. Then I actually tried to replicate the issue by swiping to the app grid immediately upon closing an app. You can't. There is a half second delay while the closing animation completes.

Never noticed it before and I bet 9 out of 10 users wouldn't.

If anyone out there can show a video of you closing an app and immediately being able to input another action I am sure it would end this thread. I certainly tried but there is a brief delay as the OP notes.

Posted via CB10
    11-01-14 10:33 PM
    I get the same type of thing on my Z30 ever since 10.3
    Even on 10.3.1
    Never saw it before on my Z10 or Z30 before. Sometimes I can't open an email. And if you want stay that I am pressing the wrong place, why wouldn't the email above or below it open? Takes three or four presses to open it. Even if I wait.
    Can't believe so much is being made for a non issue. Your using a leaked OS on your devices and your shocked when you find bugs? (or imaginary bugs) Lol
    Take a close look at the OP's video he's touching the screen too lightly as I've stated before when I tried to recreate this on my Passport only time I was able to do this was in the hub and I had to very lightly touch the screen.

Loving my Passport!
    thedose and spikesolie like this.
    11-01-14 10:40 PM
    I think this is part of a wider trend where background processes are taking priority over UI response. This should not happen.

Posted via CB10
    This is quite likely. I recall reading stuff on Project Butter that explained the differences between Android and iOS, but can't find the article. But here's a starting point:
    https://plus.google.com/+AndrewMunn/posts/VDkV9XaJRGS

As for BB10, I didn't test all the conditions in the video, but it inability to swipe left and right momentarily after closing an app does exist on my Z10 and Playbook. I've never noticed it until today, but that doesn't mean it doesn't exist. All it means is that it doesn't cause me much concern, but everyone's different.
    11-01-14 10:45 PM
    Can't believe so much is being made for a non issue. Your using a leaked OS on your devices and your shocked when you find bugs? (or imaginary bugs) Lol
    Take a close look at the OP's video he's touching the screen too lightly as I've stated before when I tried to recreate this on my Passport only time I was able to do this was in the hub and I had to very lightly touch the screen.

Loving my Passport!
    I for one am NOT running a leaked OS... yet I have the same problems. They never existed on my Z10 running 10.2.1.

One of the most annoying lags is trying to turn off the alarm clock in the morning. At first thought is was just morning eyes... but enough further testing now confirms it is just very unresponsive.

Whether or not you like the OPs video... this IS a very real problem.

Posted via CB10
    11-01-14 11:27 PM
    I'm also not running a leaked OS.
    Its not a big issue, actually its not an issue for me at all. A bit of delay is common everywhere and in every platform.

Posted via CB10
    11-01-14 11:33 PM
    I'm also not running a leaked OS.
    Its not a big issue, actually its not an issue for me at all. A bit of delay is common everywhere and in every platform.

Posted via CB10
    We're not talking about just a bit of delay here. We're talking about actions that just a few weeks ago an another device worked flawlessly. Now the exact same actions are just unresponsive until the third or fourth tap... very annoying when trying to turn off alarm in the morning. Even my spouse is annoyed when my alarm just keeps running until several taps later.

Posted via CB10
    11-01-14 11:41 PM
351 ... 34567 ...