"You're Holding It Wrong!", said no one....

OP, I am not trying to blow your trumpet (pun intended!), but you are right, every build and most devices have some kind of lag. Results of poor coding, poor optimisation... hardware, fingers, aps running, processor speed, background jobs, etc. When you test device (most of them) and put them to the limits, you will have this "slow response". Google have this (before project "butter" it was more prominent) ... We just learn to live with it, or choose to try/use something else...and back again. If you just playing with the phone, and try what you tried (seamlessly open and close apps), you will have the same result on many devices... In the common sense use, day to day standard use, it is not relevant nor noticeable.

However, I do appreciate that something need to be done, and I hope it will in the next iterations of the what is brilliant OS.
    jojo beaconsfield likes this.
    11-02-14 06:13 PM
    There is no lag

Posted via CB10
    11-02-14 06:14 PM
    "You're Holding It Wrong!", said no one....

OP, I am not trying to blow your trumpet (pun intended!), but you are right, every build and most devices have some kind of lag. Results of poor coding, poor optimisation... hardware, fingers, aps running, processor speed, background jobs, etc. When you test device (most of them) and put them to the limits, you will have this "slow response". Google have this (before project "butter" it was more prominent) ... We just learn to live with it, or choose to try/use something else...and back again. If you just playing with the phone, and try what you tried (seamlessly open and close apps), you will have the same result on many devices... In the common sense use, day to day standard use, it is not relevant nor noticeable.

However, I do appreciate that something need to be done, and I hope it will in the next iterations of the what is brilliant OS.
    I can close apps as quick as I want on my note 3 and click the home button and swipe immediately. As stated this is not "typical" but if the "laggy" android OS can handle it, then the "smooth" BB10 should be able to handle it as well. I guess I will have to make a video to prove this. And my Note 3 is a year old and never had the OS reinstalled to clean it up. I was actually surprised when I got my android and it did not have the lag that many people have. That said, it does freeze on apps occasionally. After a restart its fine again though. I reluctantly went to android because I was unsure about getting a WP8 device to be told it would not receive WP9 as was the case with my 7.5 device not getting wp8 a year after I got it.
    11-02-14 06:26 PM
    I can close apps as quick as I want on my note 3 and click the home button and swipe immediately. As stated this is not "typical" but if the "laggy" android OS can handle it, then the "smooth" BB10 should be able to handle it as well. I guess I will have to make a video to prove this. And my Note 3 is a year old and never had the OS reinstalled to clean it up. I was actually surprised when I got my android and it did not have the lag that many people have. That said, it does freeze on apps occasionally. After a restart its fine again though. I reluctantly went to android because I was unsure about getting a WP8 device to be told it would not receive WP9 as was the case with my 7.5 device not getting wp8 a year after I got it.
    Your Note 3 doesn't lag? - That's odd because we have 2 of them in our house and they both lag unless you restart them on a daily basis and they are only 1 month old - one of them (mine) doesn't even have any apps installed on it because I just use it as a spare phone. I also recently purchased the Samsung Tab S which supposedly has a powerful processor in it and it still lags.
    11-02-14 07:41 PM
    This thread is an embarrassment to BlackBerry owners.

To recap, the OP posted a video demonstrating touchscreen lag on his Passport. The blacksheep group get offended, and defend the Passport despite the video evidence. A few others agree with the OP and report lag as well, but the faithful still refuse to believe it and blame the OP. So MORE videos of the lag are posted. BUT, the blacksheep still won't believe what they are seeing and attack the OP instead.

I've watched several videos of the Passport touchscreen lagging in this thread, yet no one has posted a video of it not lagging. Isn't that kind of crazy?

BlackBerry fanboys these days have become far worse than Apple fans ever were. Embarrassing.
    You can have video evidence but that doesn't prove that all Passports have this issue.
    11-02-14 08:00 PM
    As I have not read and will not read all 12 pages, my comment may have already been made...

What I see in the video is that the OP clicks to close the app (with many fast presses on the "X"), the OP IMMEDIATELY after hitting the "X" that they will swipe over left or right. Now as others have said they don't think its lag but rather an OS issue. But I really don't think it is either.

How often do you really go to close an app and then that quickly attempt to swipe to another page? I have used BB10 since the first day possible and I have never once had the need to close an app and as the app is closing start to swipe that fast to do something else.

Anyways point is, most likely not any issue at all...really just looks like as the APP is closing (which you wanted it to do) the OS is literally closing the app, yet you are trying to do something else as its doing that...its like you opening an app and then saying it lags because it won't let you swipe into the hub as the app is opening or something...and no other OS lets you do this either. Can you swipe an app closed on iOS and while the app is being thrown off screen you are already swiping through your app page? Won't work...the OS closes the app and then you can proceed to swiping...same on Android, you can click "Close all apps" in the multitasking tray, and as they are closing you can not be swiping through the home screens.

I don't think there is any use where the user would close the app and that immediately be trying to flip to the HUB or apps...

just what I think, and it may be an acknowledged lag by BlackBerry, but I really doubt that this is a lag or issue...do another video with you at a normal speed tapping to close an app, and literally a second later swipe around, you will not notice any hiccups at all...let the app close before you try doing other things
    11-02-14 08:10 PM
    This thread is an embarrassment to BlackBerry owners.

To recap, the OP posted a video demonstrating touchscreen lag on his Passport. The blacksheep group get offended, and defend the Passport despite the video evidence. A few others agree with the OP and report lag as well, but the faithful still refuse to believe it and blame the OP. So MORE videos of the lag are posted. BUT, the blacksheep still won't believe what they are seeing and attack the OP instead.

I've watched several videos of the Passport touchscreen lagging in this thread, yet no one has posted a video of it not lagging. Isn't that kind of crazy?

BlackBerry fanboys these days have become far worse than Apple fans ever were. Embarrassing.
    Exactly! What an embarrassment!

What's the point of having such forums if these items can't be discussed without the rif raf?

Posted via CB10
    11-02-14 08:26 PM
    hhm.. perhaps you could try loading the latest leaked OS to see if this solves your issue?
    11-02-14 08:28 PM
    I thought about providing a video showing my fluid and smooth usage of of the passport, but it just seems extremely trivial in my opinion to need to prove or satisfy someone on the Internet esp for such purpose.

I do observe instances where there are fraction of a second delays or longer depending on the types of apps, ie. complex android app did take longer to shut down, but this shouldn't be any surprise esp if you are familiar with the bb10 and android app relationships. I rarely use android apps tbh.

I am not a software development professional but do participate in UATs. All these talk about optimizations, is speed of swiping or closing app the gold standard of an optimized operating system

Perhaps properly shutting down certain apps to maintain os stability is more important than forcefully shutting them down.

Posted via CB10
    11-02-14 08:30 PM
    IMO this thread is so ridiculous that I think it's long past it's best before date and needs to be closed.
    11-02-14 08:35 PM
    IMO this thread is so ridiculous that I think it's long past it's best before date and needs to be closed.
    Why would it need to be closed? OP brought an issue to attention, with video evidence. Other users have come forward experiencing the same issue. The issue being discussed has no resolution. Until the issue has been resolved, I see no need to keep it from being discussed by closing the thread. On the contrary, it should be open specifically so other users who may have this issue have a place to come share their experiences and possible steps towards a resolution...

I'd rather see a Mod clean the thread of people making no contribution to the issue at hand and instead attacking the OP and others or people trying to bury the issue like it doesn't exist.
    Vector-SS likes this.
    11-02-14 09:03 PM
    Why would it need to be closed? OP brought an issue to attention, with video evidence. Other users have come forward experiencing the same issue. The issue being discussed has no resolution. Until the issue has been resolved, I see no need to keep it from being discussed by closing the thread. On the contrary, it should be open specifically so other users who may have this issue have a place to come share their experiences and possible steps towards a resolution...

I'd rather see a Mod clean the thread of people making no contribution to the issue at hand and instead attacking the OP and others or people trying to bury the issue like it doesn't exist.
    Because this is really a non issue - please see the short video I just made showing my iPad Air behaving in a similar manner when a user is swiping like a mad man. If you don't wait for the app to close before swiping on the iPad it doesn't swipe either.
    11-02-14 09:32 PM
    Oh look. Another one of these. Hi! If you don't like the topic, don't post in it

Posted via CB10
    robert_in_la and Vector-SS like this.
    11-02-14 09:41 PM

Totally agree. Not sure what's happening lately on CB but there are a few people who attack anyone that makes a less than favorable comment about their BlackBerry device.

Posted via CB10
    11-02-14 09:41 PM
    You can have video evidence but that doesn't prove that all Passports have this issue.
    Nobody has proved it otherwise with video except with words and conjecture so for now the evidence does stand unless you are willing to step up and provide the counter proof.
    11-02-14 09:43 PM
    Because this is really a non issue - please see the short video I just made showing my iPad Air behaving in a similar manner when a user is swiping like a mad man. If you don't wait for the app to close before swiping on the iPad it doesn't swipe either.
    That's your opinion. It doesn't mean others are not having a problem. Even I've noticed when I close an app I sometimes have to hit the x again, sometimes twice before it closes... and no I'm not doing it rapidly. Not sure if the screen protector that came with my BlackBerry hard shell is interfering / causing the problem or not but it's not as responsive as my Z30 was when doing the same.

Posted via CB10
    11-02-14 09:44 PM
    Here is a crude video showing I don't have any lag with my Passport - the one time that the app didn't close right away was because I missed hitting the X - kind of difficult to hold a phone to record the video in one hand while trying to do the swiping on the PP.

Sorry for the poor quality of the video but just wanted to show I don't have issues on mine.

11-02-14 10:00 PM
    Totally agree. Not sure what's happening lately on CB but there are a few people who attack anyone that makes a less than favorable comment about their BlackBerry device.

Posted via CB10
    Probably ex-iPhone users that have brought their sheepish ways over to Blackberry :P
    11-02-14 10:38 PM
    Here is a crude video showing I don't have any lag with my Passport - the one time that the app didn't close right away was because I missed hitting the X - kind of difficult to hold a phone to record the video in one hand while trying to do the swiping on the PP.

Sorry for the poor quality of the video but just wanted to show I don't have issues on mine.

Can't really compare your video with OP's, as OP is driving his PP at 120mph while you're going 35mph in a school zone.
    11-02-14 10:41 PM
    Can't really compare your video with OP's, as OP is driving his PP at 120mph while you're going 35mph in a school zone.
    So most people use their phone at 120mph? OK, gotcha!
    Did you happen to see my iPad Air video being driven at 120mph with the same results as the OP's Passport? - didn't think so
    11-02-14 10:45 PM
    - It's not a lag .. use your phone upright and that so-called 'Lag' won't be there .. and also another possibility .. clean your screen properly as left over residue (smudge) can also make touchscreen's unresponsive.
    11-02-14 11:40 PM
    I don't have any problems regarding tapping X to close. I do have supporting evidence of what the OP is experiencing which is the unresponsiveness after closing an app and swiping. I'm not going at a crazy pace; I am doing it at a reasonable pace with no rapid swipes. Happens on the Passport and the Z10 , both demonstrated in the video on the latest 10.3.1.1016 build. You can see in slow motion that I swiped after the animation finished.

Here it is again in slow motion

Has this really bothered me? No I did not really notice it much before the OP mentioned it but still, I would like to see this improved now that I know.
    Last edited by StutterStep; 11-03-14 at 12:17 AM.
    11-02-14 11:40 PM

Thanks for posting this - noticing your device automatically springing back to the first row of icons. Is this a 10.3.1 thing or a setting?

I agree - looks to me as though for one reason or another yours is behaving. Wish mine was like that.

Posted via CB10
    chewblock likes this.
    11-03-14 01:46 AM
    Thanks for posting this - noticing your device automatically springing back to the first row of icons. Is this a 10.3.1 thing or a setting?
    In Settings, Display, disable "Show Wallpaper When All Apps Are Closed" and when there are no running apps the home page will not be shown.
    11-03-14 01:54 AM
    In Settings, Display, disable "Show Wallpaper When All Apps Are Closed" and when there are no running apps the home page will not be shown.
    Thanks, just tried this - interesting.

I'm finding that with more than 1 app open (so closing remains on tile page) the delay of a second or more remains (long after the animation has completed).

But when closing the only open app, the device responds as it should (much quicker).

Posted via CB10
    11-03-14 02:00 AM
351 ... 1011121314 ...