Why not take any swiping error possibility out of it. Post a video where the swipes are CLEARLY Horizontal but you are unable to navigate.

That will decide the issue.

Posted via CB10
    1) We've three videos (yes, three) already showing the same bug where numerous swipes are horizontal.
    2) I have just posted a video showing non-horizontal swipes registering perfectly:

3) Nobody has posted a video showing the OS not exhibiting the problem raised.

That's pretty irrefutable.
    Joao Oliveira likes this.
    11-02-14 09:38 AM
    The kind of swipes shown in that video do no work.

Some amount of vertical input is tolerated but not that much.

Again, if you flip around the OS like a maniac, maybe your swipes and touches are not as accurate as they might be.

The video shows what the video shows.

When you set up the OS, the tutorial explains that a left/right swipe is needed to navigate.

Posted via CB10
    they don't? watch this video... if you don't want to feel embarassed, don't watch it...

completely diagonal movements... they work JUST FINE.... Whats the next excuse? That I just modified the code of the OS to make this video?

Your stance trying to find loopholes in OP's is starting to feel disturbing...
    thymaster likes this.
    11-02-14 09:39 AM
    I'm not going to get into the issue of whether this person's video shows a lag or not - too much potential for slagging off there - but I have noticed a similar unresponsiveness on trying to close windows in the browser. I found I had to tap, sometimes a couple of times, above the X close box on the browser window. That changed when I took off the screen protector that came with the phone, and I was running it naked for a couple of days. It re-appeared when my long-awaited screen protectors (that i had ordered before getting the phone) arrived, and one was applied.

I wonder if there's something about the way in which specific screen coverings mask the placement, or filters or lessens the effect of a finger tap. To the OP: Are you using a screen protector? Have you experimented without one?
    11-02-14 09:43 AM
    I'm not going to get into the issue of whether this person's video shows a lag or not - too much potential for slagging off there - but I have noticed a similar unresponsiveness on trying to close windows in the browser. I found I had to tap, sometimes a couple of times, above the X close box on the browser window. That changed when I took off the screen protector that came with the phone, and I was running it naked for a couple of days. It re-appeared when my long-awaited screen protectors (that i had ordered before getting the phone) arrived, and one was applied.

I wonder if there's something about the way in which specific screen coverings mask the placement, or filters or lessens the effect of a finger tap. To the OP: Are you using a screen protector? Have you experimented without one?
    Thanks very much for posting - the particular lag and unresponsiveness I get is on a new device without screen protector.

Posted via CB10
    11-02-14 09:44 AM
    they don't? watch this video... if you don't want to feel embarassed, don't watch it...

completely diagonal movements... they work JUST FINE.... Whats the next excuse? That I just modified the code of the OS to make this video?

Your stance trying to find loopholes in OP's is starting to feel disturbing...
    Um. Do you know what horizontal means?

Posted via CB10
    11-02-14 09:45 AM

Posted via CB10
    You claimed non-horizontal swipes don't register and we both showed you evidence that they do.

Posted via CB10
    11-02-14 09:46 AM

Posted via CB10
    haven't you seen already in the video that the gesture works PREFECTLY with EXTREMELY diagonal movements? isn't that freaking clear at the start of the video? Do you want me to make a 1h non stop video of the OS working with diagonal movements? Are you blind?

Do you even think that someone would code the OS working with only movements that are 100% horizontal? That would be a total pain in the a$$ and would be a even bigger fault. Do you expect people need a ruler and square to use the phone?
    11-02-14 09:49 AM
    I think at this point any claims this doesn't happen is just denial.

Which is kind of counter productive if we want improvements in the OS and bug fixes.

Posted via CB10
    deltact likes this.
    11-02-14 09:52 AM
    You are conflating a few things.

First. The gesture that is called for is horizontal left/right.

Second. What you demonstrated in your second video is two other things. One is pure diagonal. I agree this works even though it is not the gesture that is called for. But, you did not gesture either diagonally or horizontally in the second part of the video. You start moving vertically and then hook horizontally. This is simply not recognized.

In Z devices, vertical swipes can move among opened app when there are more than 4 opened apps. The OS is recognizing your swipe as a vertical.

How hard can it be to record this behavior with the left/right swipe that BlackBerry tells us to use?

Posted via CB10
    11-02-14 09:55 AM

Second. What you demonstrated in your second video is two other things. One is pure diagonal. I agree this works even though it is not the gesture that is called for. But, you did not gesture either diagonally or horizontally in the second part of the video. You start moving vertically and then hook horizontally. This is simply not recognized.

In Z devices, vertical swipes can move among opened app when there are more than 4 opened apps. The OS is recognizing your swipe as a vertical.

How hard can it be to record this behavior with the left/right swipe that BlackBerry tells us to use?

Posted via CB10
    I completely disagree, and you can see on my video I don't do this either.

Playing with left-right gestures, it understands them pretty liberally and the ones we have shown are very, very standard.

Additionally, still waiting on a video from you or someone else showing that this doesn't happen.

Posted via CB10
    11-02-14 10:02 AM
    I completely disagree, and you can see on my video I don't do this either.

Playing with left-right gestures, it understands them pretty liberally and the ones we have shown are very, very standard.

Additionally, still waiting on a video from you or someone else showing that this doesn't happen.

Posted via CB10
    I don't get my Passport back until Tuesday but I'll be happy to make one then.

Usually the burden to prove something is on the party claiming it to exist. How hard is it to swipe horizontally?

Posted via CB10
    11-02-14 10:06 AM

Posted via CB10
    Ok... there you have... you don't get it more exact than this... whats the next loophole you want to find? (yes "ruller" is a typo, maybe that's the cause of the lag...)

Reza El Nino likes this.
    11-02-14 10:07 AM
    Ok... there you have... you don't get it more exact than this... whats the next loophole you want to find? (yes "ruller" is a typo, maybe that's the cause of the lag...)

Yes. That is horizontal.

What apps are open when you do this?

Posted via CB10
    11-02-14 10:11 AM
    Yes. That is horizontal.

Posted via CB10
    pictures, videos and music that come installed with the OS.... If was something 3rd party I know you would jump on them. In other videos you have other apps aswell.

Don't start a loophole with the freaking apps!!!!!! it does that with EVERY APP, it's a done deal
    11-02-14 10:15 AM
    Yes. That is horizontal.

Posted via CB10
    It happens regardless of apps. Larger apps tend to exhibit longer delays from my experience.

This or similar essentially seems to happen while the device is doing something in the background, or when the device has been inactive for several seconds then received touch input. So it is not confined to simply closing apps.

However, it also happens at really odd and random times.

It looks as though, as many have mentioned, the UI is not taking priority so when the phone is busy in one way or another it means gestures/presses are missed, or the device will 'snap' to catch up.
    11-02-14 10:16 AM

Loving the thumbs up!
    11-02-14 10:21 AM
    You have to press the X at exactly the correct spot. This was done in 10.3 to avoid mistakenly closing of apps. This can be seen on all BB10 devices, not just the Passport.

The only other things I noticed was you moving from the active frame to the Hub but it looked like you were doing this as something else was happening (like the app is still in the process of being minimized, etc). If you're in an app and want to go to the Hub, there's a gesture made just for that. Lag to me is when you're scrolling in an app/browser. I didn't see that here.

I don't own a Passport but played with one extensively at a store and put it through a lot of work to see how it performed. I didn't encounter any unresponsiveness.

My question to you is: how clean are your hands and the phone's screen?
    11-02-14 10:25 AM
    You have to press the X at exactly the correct spot. This was done in 10.3 to avoid mistakenly closing of apps. This can be seen on all BB10 devices, not just the Passport.

The only other things I noticed was you moving from the active frame to the Hub but it looked like you were doing this as something else was happening (like the app is still in the process of being minimized, etc). If you're in an app and want to go to the Hub, there's a gesture made just for that. Lag to me is when you're scrolling in an app/browser. I didn't see that here.

I don't own a Passport but played with one extensively at a store and put it through a lot of work to see how it performed. I didn't encounter any unresponsiveness.

My question to you is: how clean are your hands and the phone's screen?
    Thanks - I appreciate what you're saying but we're not demonstrating this particular example because it prevents us from using the device. It's there as technical proof of something that's happening that renders the UI unresponsive in any number of scenarios.

To answer your question - clean hands and screen. It's a pretty new device.

If this does not happen for you, I'd love to see a video of your device running smoothly and then maybe we can look at a possibility of defective batches of hardware or poor optimisation that is confined to the Passport itself.
    11-02-14 10:29 AM
    Agreed - lets just try to get this and other issues fixed, eh?

We should be on the same side surely.
    Exactly! People on here love to chime in on how you maybe doing something wrong or how it hasn't happened to them so it must be you. Anyway I'm sure BlackBerry roams the forums every now and again hopefully they correct this. It's super embarrassing when I demonstrating bb10 and it hangs up or an app doesn't close the first 3 times I hit the "X".

Posted via CB10
    11-02-14 10:32 AM
    Exactly! People on here love to chime in on how you maybe doing something wrong or how it hasn't happened to them so it must be you. Anyway I'm sure BlackBerry roams the forums every now and again hopefully they correct this. It's super embarrassing when I demonstrating bb10 and it hangs up or an app doesn't close the first 3 times I hit the "X".

Posted via CB10
    I've told Michael Clewley about it and he's seen the video. He said that his latest build of 10.3.1 didn't have the problem but that they're looking into it anyway. Time will tell. I see nothing wrong with politely keeping on the case with this and other bugs (contacts app for example, which thousands have complaints about).
    11-02-14 10:34 AM
    Thanks - I appreciate what you're saying but we're not demonstrating this particular example because it prevents us from using the device. It's there as technical proof of something that's happening that renders the UI unresponsive in any number of scenarios.

If this does not happen for you, I'd love to see a video of your device running smoothly and then maybe we can look at a possibility of defective batches of hardware or poor optimisation that is confined to the Passport itself.
    You mean you want to see someone close an app and at the same time do something else? This will not happen. I'm quite sure this is designed to work in this specific way because when you close an app, the frames may have to be moved. Why on Earth would the UI allow you to do something while this is in progress??? It could cause undesired effects such as pressing on the wrong X or wrong app as things are being moved. This is not a Passport "bug" but is built into the OS programming for BB10 on all devices. If you don't like it, then I suggest you give BlackBerry such feedback on the Beta Zone but I for one prefer the current method as it prevents me from click on the wrong frame when I close one app and frames are being re-organized.

I've told Michael Clewley about it and he's seen the video. He said that his latest build of 10.3.1 didn't have the problem but that they're looking into it anyway. Time will tell. I see nothing wrong with politely keeping on the case with this and other bugs (contacts app for example, which thousands have complaints about).
    I'm on 10.3.1 and I'm unable to close an app and at the same time scroll to another screen. But note that I've never noticed this in my daily usage as that's now how I use my phone and only now noticed it only because it was pointed out.
    thedose likes this.
    11-02-14 10:35 AM
    You mean you want to see someone close an app and at the same time do something else? This will not happen. I'm quite sure this is designed to work in this specific way because when you close an app, the frames may have to be moved. Why on Earth would the UI allow you to do something while this is in progress??? It could cause undesired effects such as pressing on the wrong X or wrong app as things are being moved. This is not a Passport "bug" but is built into the OS programming for BB10 on all devices. If you don't like it, then I suggest you give BlackBerry such feedback on the Beta Zone but I for one prefer the current method as it prevents me from click on the wrong frame when I close one app and frames are being re-organized.

I'm on 10.3.1 and I'm unable to close an app and at the same time scroll to another screen.
    It's not at the same time - it's well after the animation has completed (see Joao's videos as well as mine).

Actually yes, I use my device quite quickly and I often want to open another app immediately after closing one. It's common for me and I'm sure for others. But this behaviour also shows even with slow and deliberate touch input.

Further edit - this has also been covered in a lot of detail earlier in the thread.
    11-02-14 10:37 AM
    It's not at the same time - it's well after the animation has completed (see Joao's videos as well as mine).

Actually yes, I use my device quite quickly and I often want to open another app immediately after closing one. It's common for me and I'm sure for others. But this behaviour also shows even with slow and deliberate touch input.

Further edit - this has also been covered in a lot of detail earlier in the thread.
    Then the only thing I can say is they need to add a provision so that when the last app is closed and the app grid doesn't need to be re-organized, the system shouldn't wait. But if the app grid has to be re-organized, then you're going to have to wait.
    11-02-14 10:40 AM
    I'm on 10.3.1 and I'm unable to close an app and at the same time scroll to another screen. But note that I've never noticed this in my daily usage as that's now how I use my phone and only now noticed it only because it was pointed out.
    Thanks but again - it isn't at the same time, and it isn't the only scenario under which it happens.

For two very, very quick other examples you can see them on my first video (not responding to 'close' input repeatedly, not waking first time, second wake not showing animation but springing to unlocked state from black).
    11-02-14 10:43 AM
    Then the only thing I can say is they need to add a provision so that when the last app is closed and the app grid doesn't need to be re-organized, the system shouldn't wait. But if the app grid has to be re-organized, then you're going to have to wait.
    I don't think it's there deliberately as part of tile reorganisation at all (we might have to agree to disagree there) - it looks to me like UI not accepting touch input whilst apps are being unloaded.

As Michael says that doesn't happen in the latest build, it would suggest to me it is not intentional behaviour and hopefully they are going to give us a fix at some point.
    11-02-14 10:47 AM
351 ... 678910 ...