OP,

I think it's just the way you are swiping. Try grabbing more from the edges and being more precise and you will find your experience will get better.

For example, when swiping to get out of the hub, if you swipe from the middle of the screen to the left, it will probably not respond. Swipe from the right bezel to the left, responds every time.

Sent from my Passport using Tapatalk
    wincyUt likes this.
    11-01-14 03:05 PM
    It's waiting for the animation to complete from what I can see...and I don't see this as a problem on my Passport. I can reproduce some of what you're talking about (the having to tap a couple times on the X to close an app I attribute to a dry or calloused fingertip)...but I don't use my phone at the speed of light, I can afford to wait that extra millisecond after closing an app before I need to get into the hub.
    Thanks for the suggestion, but the animation is complete. For larger apps, the delay tends to be perceptibly larger.

It absolutely does not prevent one using the device, but it bothers me because a visible unresponsiveness or lag is the first thing you notice when using the device.

The Snapdragon 801 is better than that, so unless my device is in some way faulty I think there's a lot of optimisation needed.

Posted via CB10
    11-01-14 03:06 PM
    OP,

I think it's just the way you are swiping. Try grabbing more from the edges and being more precise and you will find your experience will get better.

For example, when swiping to get out of the hub, if you swipe from the middle of the screen to the left, it will probably not respond. Swipe from the right bezel to the left, responds every time.

Sent from my Passport using Tapatalk
    Thanks for the suggestion. Just tried but from edge of screen and the same occurs. It also happens every single time, so even allowing for inaccuracy (and trust me, i've used touchscreens long enough to be pretty accurate) it should not occur with near 100% consistency.

Posted via CB10
    11-01-14 03:09 PM
    It wasn't a suggestion, it was an observation, on my own device. I can swipe into the hub immediately after the animation completes...if you can't then I am not seeing that on my device. But I'm an old, slow, 48yo senior citizen, what do I know...
    grover5 likes this.
    11-01-14 03:11 PM
    It wasn't a suggestion, it was an observation, on my own device. I can swipe into the hub immediately after the animation completes...if you can't then I am not seeing that on my device. But I'm an old, slow, 48yo senior citizen, what do I know...
    Well, I don't know for certain that I do not have a defective device so I'm not saying you're wrong Yours might not have this problem.

Posted via CB10
    11-01-14 03:13 PM
    Maybe I missed it in previous responses. I know you said you loaded newer builds, but have you tried doing a security wipe after you loaded the last one?

Are your fingers clammy or too dry? I'm guessing the BlackBerry virtual expert doesn't show anything out of the ordinary.

Posted via CB10
    11-01-14 03:13 PM
    I tested my Passport using the exact same types of swipes as you used in your video. My passport responded properly and as expected every time.

It's quite possible you have a defective unit. Hopefully you can get it exchanged for a fully functioning device.

Posted via CB10
    11-01-14 03:18 PM
    Maybe I missed it in previous responses. I know you said you loaded newer builds, but have you tried doing a security wipe after you loaded the last one?

Are your fingers clammy or too dry? I'm guessing the BlackBerry virtual expert doesn't show anything out of the ordinary.

Posted via CB10
    I have done a security wipe, so unfortunately that isn't it (I wish it was).

My fingers seem fairly normal (!), and it has happened consistently since purchase.

It happens often elsewhere (even lags at times here on the Crackberry app) but the reason I showed the app close is because it is the only one I can replicate consistently rather than at more random intervals.

Posted via CB10
    11-01-14 03:18 PM
    I tested my Passport using the exact same types of swipes as you used in your video. My passport responded properly and as expected every time.

It's quite possible you have a defective unit. Hopefully you can get it exchanged for a fully functioning device.

Posted via CB10
    Thanks for that. Can you do a really short video of it if poss? (just make private if you don't want the grief I've had so far). If that is the case then that's pretty good proof something could be up with mine hardware-wise.

Posted via CB10
    11-01-14 03:21 PM
    TOUCHSCREEN sensitive has also changend a difference time on the BlackBerry Z10. There was one OS that react slow and one was to sensitive that you jumping to stuff you don't wanted to go. It's the same with the Passport and to quick actions it set on accident touch. So be more gentle to your lovely Passport. You will see it works fine.
    11-01-14 03:30 PM
    OP is right. It might not be lag, but after you do some action, it takes some time for the phone to react to another imput. It hapens with almost every BB10 device, is a lack of optimization. Android has a bit of it aswell, WP8 and iOS are a lot more responsive in that respenct.
    11-01-14 03:35 PM
    It's waiting for the animation to complete from what I can see...and I don't see this as a problem on my Passport. I can reproduce some of what you're talking about (the having to tap a couple times on the X to close an app I attribute to a dry or calloused fingertip)...but I don't use my phone at the speed of light, I can afford to wait that extra millisecond after closing an app before I need to get into the hub.
    Doesn't have to be a problem, but is a lack of "finesse" for a premium device... If you buy a porsche, and it comes with plastic interior like a ford fiesta, what would be your reaction? can't you live with a plastic interior? you can, but you expect more from a premium device. It's all about expectations
    11-01-14 03:37 PM
    Posted via CB10
    Did the exact same swipes at the same speed in the exact same manner as the OP? Are you swiping really rapidly to the hub after closing an app?

I highly doubt it's a hardware problem. It's very situational. It's not so much the touch screen isn't working, it's the OS not responding to inputs in some instances.
    Joao Oliveira likes this.
    11-01-14 03:39 PM
    I'm 90% it's software but can't discount hardware - a problem with the storage memory could result in similar lag (think of when a hard drive or SSD can't write quick enough and you get a write queue and subsequent lag).

If the other poster can show visibly different behaviour it could be my Passport, or a batch of Passports.

Do think highly likely OS optimisation though.

Posted via CB10
    11-01-14 03:49 PM
    TOUCHSCREEN sensitive has also changend a difference time on the BlackBerry Z10. There was one OS that react slow and one was to sensitive that you jumping to stuff you don't wanted to go. It's the same with the Passport and to quick actions it set on accident touch. So be more gentle to your lovely Passport. You will see it works fine.
    I do appreciate what you're saying, and of course I can use the device fine even when it's like this.

It's just that, for the device it is and with the hardware it boasts, this shouldn't really happen. It's not a killer issue but it's a visible annoyance that detracts from the overall... well, 'flow'.

Posted via CB10
    11-01-14 03:51 PM
    Doesn't have to be a problem, but is a lack of "finesse" for a premium device... If you buy a porsche, and it comes with plastic interior like a ford fiesta, what would be your reaction? can't you live with a plastic interior? you can, but you expect more from a premium device. It's all about expectations
    If you're comparing a split-second, nearly imperceptible delay (that most people wouldn't even notice) when going from one action to the next, to a Porsche having a plastic interior, well then you're being just a tad ridiculous. Step away from the hyperbole...
    11-01-14 03:53 PM
    If you're comparing a split-second, nearly imperceptible delay (that most people wouldn't even notice) when going from one action to the next, to a Porsche having a plastic interior, well then you're being just a tad ridiculous.
    If it were almost imperceptible it wouldn't bother me in the slightest. The problem is that it is not only highly visible, but also results in user input at times not recognised by the UI.

Posted via CB10
    11-01-14 03:57 PM
    Screen protector on? Some will reduce sensitivity of the screen.
    11-01-14 04:07 PM
    Screen protector on? Some will reduce sensitivity of the screen.
    Thanks and good point, but no there is no screen protector.

Posted via CB10
    11-01-14 04:08 PM
    OP is right. It might not be lag, but after you do some action, it takes some time for the phone to react to another imput. It hapens with almost every BB10 device, is a lack of optimization. Android has a bit of it aswell, WP8 and iOS are a lot more responsive in that respenct.
    Yes. I see this type of issue on my LG G2. I agree.
    11-01-14 04:19 PM
    Appears to be an OS responsiveness to me. Not something that bothers me too much since it doesn't affect me most of the time on any of the phones I have used. iOS3, WP7.5, or Android 4 all have some unresponsiveness at times. Will not allow swiping till it resets after the close. Open a few more apps and then try to rapidly close them one after another before the animation is done. Just like you are doing with the swiping, try it with closing more apps.

That said, it's only annoying because you are trying to do stuff so fast. Yes it's likely an issue with the OS and until another video comes up showing a contradiction, we will have to assume that as the case, or hardware. But considering you touch the same exact spot on the touchscreen multiple times, I doubt it's the digitizer.

Also why no make a video of your z30 if you still have it to show the difference?
    11-01-14 04:20 PM
    If you're comparing a split-second, nearly imperceptible delay (that most people wouldn't even notice) when going from one action to the next, to a Porsche having a plastic interior, well then you're being just a tad ridiculous. Step away from the hyperbole...
    Well, it doesn't happen in a iphone... does that bother you more?

Im going to explain you again because you can't get there by yourself: in practise, plastic interior and leather wouldn't make a difference in usability the same way that "split second" doesn't make a difference in your point of view. Got it?

Older BBOS7 would fly throught screens and menus.

This is a very interesting topic, because I saw everybody complaining about specs here, and specs there, but I see nobody complaining about real world use problems like this. Everybody bashes iOS products because they have dual core at 1.4ghz and only 1gb of ram, but they are very fluid, they never lag, they feel like a premium product. Android doesn't, so does BB10... they are not as polished as iOS is, not as seamless and reliable. And when you buy a TOP premium device, you expect it to be polished.

People only care about the numbers in the specsheet, if there's performance improvements to be made, nobody cares.
    A this point, i'm sure the smartphone comunity would like better a top Spec phone that lags, than a phone with mediocre specs that's fluid and responsive.
    Deckard79 likes this.
    11-01-14 04:26 PM
    Appears to be an OS responsiveness to me. Not something that bothers me too much since it doesn't affect me most of the time on any of the phones I have used. iOS3, WP7.5, or Android 4 all have some unresponsiveness at times. Will not allow swiping till it resets after the close. Open a few more apps and then try to rapidly close them one after another before the animation is done. Just like you are doing with the swiping, try it with closing more apps.

That said, it's only annoying because you are trying to do stuff so fast. Yes it's likely an issue with the OS and until another video comes up showing a contradiction, we will have to assume that as the case, or hardware. But considering you touch the same exact spot on the touchscreen multiple times, I doubt it's the digitizer.

Also why no make a video of your z30 if you still have it to show the difference?
    Thanks for the post. I only chose the app-close scenario for the video because it was the only one I can show with near 100% consistency. The unresponsiveness and lag occurs throughout the OS experience however, and it isn't confined to when my inputs are fast. Slow input can be ignored at times as well, and the OS at times 'jumps' to catch up.

It does not prevent me from using the device but I do find it an annoyance, as (as you have mentioned and we agree on) it is a bug resulting from poor optimisation of very good hardware.

Sorry, but I sold my Z30 the day my Passport was purchased. I was not anticipating this problem.

Posted via CB10
    11-01-14 04:26 PM
    No lag with mine. The X to close needs to be made larger yes. Mine is faster than my son's S4 running android apps.

Posted with my 5 week old superb Passport!
    Deckard79 likes this.
    11-01-14 04:29 PM
    No lag with mine. The X to close needs to be made larger yes. Mine is faster than my son's S4 running android apps.

Posted with my 5 week old superb Passport!
    Thanks. I believe you but to show whether our inputs are similar enough would you mind posting a video to illustrate?

Posted via CB10
    11-01-14 04:32 PM
351 1234 ...