Hi folks,

Here is a video example of the problem I've been experiencing with the BlackBerry Passport ever since purchase.

This lag has been present in every build I have tried. Very disappointing. As mentioned on another thread, it looks as though others are experiencing the same.

Here you go:

Happy to discuss in further detail. Anyone else noticing the same, please comment here.

Thanks.
    11-01-14 12:11 PM
    I have the same. It sems it's more the optimisation of th Os.
    There some lags in the system. It is not as fluid as wp8, ios or android. I hope it will be better on 10.3.1

Posted via CB10
    Deckard79 and Joao Oliveira like this.
    11-01-14 12:35 PM
    Really?? Lag?? Sorry I don't have any of the lag you are talking about and I still have the protective film on my Passport from when I first got it.

Device is responsive as hell, if it's bothering u that much, try a wipe and don't restore and see if you still have the laggy behaviour. If you don't then it could be something in your data restore, if you did restore from a previous BlackBerry device that is.

Edit: have you checked how much free memory you have running when it lags. I used to find on my Z30 that soon as my free memory went below 500mb it would start to lag a bit.

Posted via CB10
    11-01-14 12:38 PM
    Really?? Lag?? Sorry I don't have any of the lag you are talking about and I still have the protective film on my Passport from when I first got it.

Device is responsive as hell, if it's bothering u that much, try a wipe and don't restore and see if you still have the laggy behaviour. If you don't then it could be something in your data restore, if you did restore from a previous BlackBerry device that is.

Edit: have you checked how much free memory you have running when it lags. I used to find on my Z30 that soon as my free memory went below 500mb it would start to lag a bit.

Posted via CB10
    I'm not claiming everyone has this issue. Just that many do.

Phone exhibits same behaviour from when it is switched on (no apps open).

Tried several wipes and clean builds. No restores.

Posted via CB10
    11-01-14 12:50 PM
    I have the same. It sems it's more the optimisation of th Os.
    There some lags in the system. It is not as fluid as wp8, ios or android. I hope it will be better on 10.3.1

Posted via CB10
    Agreed, poor optimisation seems most likely scenario.

Just sad that for me, the device currently performs less consistently than the Z10/30.

Posted via CB10
    11-01-14 12:55 PM
    I don't have any lag behaviour either. What I noticed on the video was that you're finger swiping is very fast. Have you tried to slow down a bit with more pronounced longer swipe instead of a quick swipe. It maybe that the screen isn't recognizing the quick swipe and needs another try at it. Just a suggestion.

Otherwise, return it and see if a 2nd phone is the same. My guess is that the screen isn't recognizing your quick short swipes?

Good luck

Posted via CB10
    wincyUt likes this.
    11-01-14 12:58 PM
    I don't have any lag behaviour either. What I noticed on the video was that you're finger swiping is very fast. Have you tried to slow down a bit with more pronounced longer swipe instead of a quick swipe. It maybe that the screen isn't recognizing the quick swipe and needs another try at it. Just a suggestion.

Otherwise, return it and see if a 2nd phone is the same. My guess is that the screen isn't recognizing your quick short swipes?

Good luck

Posted via CB10
    Thanks for the suggestion. I have owned the Z10 and Z30 and neither showed the same behaviour even with 10.3. Have used quick and slow swipes: with the slow ones, on occasion the UI jumps as it suddenly responds late.

You will also see that my initial slower swipe to unlock was not recognised first time.

Posted via CB10
    11-01-14 01:04 PM
    I don't see any lag in the video (aside from loading an Android app which is to be expected). What I see is you purposely touching the screen so lightly or not at all so that it will not register the input. Lag would be you doing something and then a couple seconds later the phone responds. Here you can see the phone is not responding when you don't properly touch the screen but by the second, third, or fourth try when you actually do it responds immediately.

You don't have to worry about breaking the glass by touching the touchscreen, it's designed to be pressed and swiped by a finger. Go ahead and used your phone the way it was designed to be used. If you would like to make another video proving you have lag please do one where you touch the screen only ONCE and then wait to show the delay in the phone responding.
    11-01-14 01:07 PM
    I don't see any lag in the video (aside from loading an Android app which is to be expected). What I see is you purposely touching the screen so lightly or not at all so that it will not register the input. Lag would be you doing something and then a couple seconds later the phone responds. Here you can see the phone is not responding when you don't properly touch the screen but by the second, third, or fourth try when you actually do it responds immediately.

You don't have to worry about breaking the glass by touching the touchscreen, it's designed to be pressed and swiped by a finger. Go ahead and used your phone the way it was designed to be used. If you would like to make another video proving you have lag please do one where you touch the screen only ONCE and then wait to show the delay in the phone responding.
    Thanks for the suggestion, but no - I have owned touchscreen phones since they first came on the market and can assure you the device is firmly pressed each time.

Respectfully, please don't tell me what I am or am not doing.

Posted via CB10
    boi2012 and offyoutoddle like this.
    11-01-14 01:11 PM
    Yeah I wouldn't call that lag but more responsiveness. These things keep getting better with every update. Only a matter of time until they optimise the OS and it won't happen overnight.

Posted via CB10
    11-01-14 01:12 PM
    Thanks for the suggestion, but no - I have owned touchscreen phones since they first came on the market and can assure you the device is firmly pressed each time.

Respectfully, please don't tell me what I am or am not doing.

Posted via CB10
    Like I said, easy way to prove it. Make another video and only touch the screen ONCE and move your finger away so we can see the OS eventually responding to that single touch. I'm not trying to be disrespectful it just seems weird the OS only "lags" on the times you "touch" the screen 2, 3, or 4 times. On the times that you touch it once the response is immediate.
    11-01-14 01:18 PM
    Yeah I wouldn't call that lag but more responsiveness. These things keep getting better with every update. Only a matter of time until they optimise the OS and it won't happen overnight.

Posted via CB10
    True - sometimes it shows as unresponsiveness and others as lag. There are times when the UI does not respond, and others when it stutters to catch up (lag).

Posted via CB10
    11-01-14 01:19 PM
    Hi folks,

Here is a video example of the problem I've been experiencing with the BlackBerry Passport ever since purchase.

This lag has been present in every build I have tried. Very disappointing. As mentioned on another thread, it looks as though others are experiencing the same.

Here you go:

Happy to discuss in further detail. Anyone else noticing the same, please comment here.

Thanks.
    Oh, boy! You are going to be attacked like there is no tomorrow even with the video as proof (i.e., troll, staged video, etc.). Don't think you'll get any help resolving it. Good luck.

Posted via CB10
    11-01-14 01:22 PM
    Like I said, easy way to prove it. Make another video and only touch the screen ONCE and move your finger away so we can see the OS eventually responding to that single touch. I'm not trying to be disrespectful it just seems weird the OS only "lags" on the times you "touch" the screen 2, 3, or 4 times. On the times that you touch it once the response is immediate.
    Lag may have been a poor choice of words - the behaviour when an app is closed looks more like unresponsiveness, but "lag" is evident too as at times the UI jumps to catch up with screen commands.

Will post a further video tonight as doing exactly as you mention, the first swipe does not respond.

About 3/4 second from closing an app, I get no UI response to touch each time.

Posted via CB10
    11-01-14 01:24 PM
    Oh, boy! You are going to be attacked like there is no tomorrow even with the video as proof (i.e., troll, staged video, etc.). Don't think you'll get any help resolving it. Good luck.

Posted via CB10
    Yup, already had one 'staged' accusation

But honestly guys, I'm an experienced CrackBerry forum member and IT pro, so I do know what I see.

Posted via CB10
    11-01-14 01:26 PM
    I have the exact same problem. I am currently running 10.3.1 and it has not resolved the issue. I also have a backlight issue on the keyboard. I love my Passport but will love it more if these issues can be resolved!
    11-01-14 02:26 PM
    Lag?!? Ahahahaha Every phone "lags" if you don't touch the right area of the screen..
    11-01-14 02:32 PM
    Lag?!? Ahahahaha Every phone "lags" if you don't touch the right area of the screen..
    You mean from middle to side?

That's correct.

Posted via CB10
    11-01-14 02:34 PM
    Support for the OP - the OS has tons of lag, you just don't notice it if you do everything at a snails pace. I think there's probably a divide between old/young users of the Passport, where young users are coming from other devices and OS's, and are accustomed to consuming media and the like at a very brisk pace, (with tons of tabs/apps open), whereas the faithful BB users are generally older, more focused on using the PP for productivity, not consumption, and aren't really heavy power users of the device.

Just have to look at the average age thread - majority of people are in their early twenties, with a few in their thirties, and then you have an equal amount, or greater, in their 50's and 60's. Big divide there between expectations from electronic devices...
    Deckard79 and thymaster like this.
    11-01-14 02:41 PM
    Support for the OP - the OS has tons of lag, you just don't notice it if you do everything at a snails pace. I think there's probably a divide between old/young users of the Passport, where young users are coming from other devices and OS's, and are accustomed to consuming media and the like at a very brisk pace, (with tons of tabs/apps open), whereas the faithful BB users are generally older, more focused on using the PP for productivity, not consumption, and aren't really heavy power users of the device.

Just have to look at the average age thread - majority of people are in their early twenties, with a few in their thirties, and then you have an equal amount, or greater, in their 50's and 60's. Big divide there between expectations from electronic devices...
    I don't know the reason for some of the responses here, but it looks to me like people taking it personally and trying to defend the device.

I'm a long-term BlackBerry user and have used BB10 from day one so am familiar with how the OS behaves.

This particular behaviour has been evident for me only with my Passport on 10.3 (and 10.3.1 for the 12 hours it was loaded).

Posted via CB10
    offyoutoddle likes this.
    11-01-14 02:44 PM
    To all the people being so defensive chill out. I get this is a fan site but geez some people here are so ridiculous to the point where when it seems like you are criticizing a device they take it as a personal attack and become very hostile and aggressive. This is legitimate but it's not only on the passport as I can reproduce on my Z10 as well, both on 10.3.1. If I closed an app and try to swipe very fast to get to the hub there's some delay. The first 1-2 touches may not be responsive right after closing it. It's not a major problem but it's clearly an area for improvement.
    11-01-14 02:50 PM
    Download cleanup from the snap store, as this speeds up the system etc.

Posted via CB10
    Deckard79 likes this.
    11-01-14 02:50 PM
    Download cleanup from the snap store, as this speeds up the system etc.

Posted via CB10
    Thanks, might give it a go. But it does look like the UI 'waiting' for a write to complete and being unresponsive until that completes.

Interesting someone mentioned the same with their Z10 - my last device, the Z30 handled 10.3 much better (though technically speaking it shouldn't as the 30 uses an older and slower chipset).

Posted via CB10
    11-01-14 02:54 PM
    Thanks, might give it a go. But it does look like the UI 'waiting' for a write to complete and being unresponsive until that completes.
    Posted via CB10
    It's waiting for the animation to complete from what I can see...and I don't see this as a problem on my Passport. I can reproduce some of what you're talking about (the having to tap a couple times on the X to close an app I attribute to a dry or calloused fingertip)...but I don't use my phone at the speed of light, I can afford to wait that extra millisecond after closing an app before I need to get into the hub.
    11-01-14 03:01 PM
    Hi folks,

Here you go:

Thanks.
    Yup, I've seen this as well on my device. From time to time, it does this. Whether it's lag when unlocking. Touchscreen not reacting when you are clicking a link. A bunch of times like this, randomly. My wife was just complaining about this with her Passport as well this morning. It's definitely a software optimization issue.

Posted via CB10
    11-01-14 03:02 PM
351 123 ...