Well, it was on CBC that I read it. Take it for what it's worth. I know a guy who has a 35 year-old summary conviction - not even a criminal record - for smoking pot - that he can't get expunged from his record. He has to apply for a Waiver that's only good for 6 months if he wants to try and enter the USA. The Waiver does NOT guarantee him entrance to the USA - I have sat IN THE CAR with him watching the US border agent decide whether or not to let him into the country.

They DO have the power to do this - I've seen it in action (to a lesser degree than the BC dude, granted).
    Know this for a fact to be true...different person entirely but same result. Admitted to having a possession charge. Took his vehicle to the inspection bay and tore it down. Didn't find anything and they told him to "Have a nice day" and then proceeded to bar him entrance into the U.S. for LIFE!!!
    12-29-16 07:23 PM
    They can and will. And if you decline, they can and will fine you and take you to court for 'hindering or obstructing border officials'. Lawyers and rights defendants still argue you shouldn't lawfully be required to but CBSA acts under the impression that it is the law and you must abide by it due to the 'loose' language used.

Ultimately, you can take any measures you see fit to protect yourself against it but again, the loose language used opens the doors for them to say you hindered or obstructed their investigations and there's very little you can do in the moment. Any action you take, include declining their efforts to access your device, will have to be fought after the fact.
    And that's why you back-up delete then restore.

TMO  PP SE,SQW100-4/10.3.3.1435
    computedplus likes this.
    12-29-16 07:43 PM
    And that's why you back-up delete then restore.

TMO  PP SE,SQW100-4/10.3.3.1435
    My thoughts exactly, although I personally would take a different device entirely.

Posted w/ BlackBerry Classic
    12-29-16 09:12 PM
    Well, it was on CBC that I read it. Take it for what it's worth. I know a guy who has a 35 year-old summary conviction - not even a criminal record - for smoking pot - that he can't get expunged from his record. He has to apply for a Waiver that's only good for 6 months if he wants to try and enter the USA. The Waiver does NOT guarantee him entrance to the USA - I have sat IN THE CAR with him watching the US border agent decide whether or not to let him into the country.

They DO have the power to do this - I've seen it in action (to a lesser degree than the BC dude, granted).
    A 35 year summary conviction is a criminal record. Key word is conviction in your post.

Posted via CB10
    mototopo likes this.
    12-30-16 09:15 AM
    A 35 year summary conviction is a criminal record. Key word is conviction in your post.

Posted via CB10
    However, he can't get a pardon for it - despite not having any other criminal issues since - it's a bit strange.
    12-30-16 09:22 AM
    Have to say guys, OP, somewhat OTT. If I was asked in this day and age at an airport I would be more than happy to provide all the security people asked. I have nowt to hide.
    The nothing to hide argument when it comes to privacy is a crock of sh*t. It's like saying I don't care about free speech cause I have nothing to say. You don't necessarily need something to hide to hide something. It's the fact that you can at some point have an intimate area that if you wish to keep private you can.
    Hiding something does not make what you are doing illegal or immoral as the government would make us believe.

Posted via CB10
    David Tyler likes this.
    12-30-16 09:28 AM
    However, he can't get a pardon for it - despite not having any other criminal issues since - it's a bit strange.
    No more pardons in Canada. That was part of the past prime ministers' agenda of Americanizing Canada.

Posted via CB10
    12-30-16 09:29 AM
    The nothing to hide argument when it comes to privacy is a crock of sh*t. It's like saying I don't care about free speech cause I have nothing to say. You don't necessarily need something to hide to hide something. It's the fact that you can at some point have an intimate area that if you wish to keep private you can.
    Hiding something does not make what you are doing illegal or immoral as the government would make us believe.

Posted via CB10
    Exactly this. All those that say they have nothing to hide, when you're at home at night with the lights on, would you leave the curtains open and let people stand outside and stare in whenever they wish?, And not even care?
    David Tyler and anon(3732391) like this.
    12-30-16 10:21 AM
    Oh well, can't say there's anything on my phone worth denying access to.
    But then, that not the point, is it?

Passport SE: All the snooty prestige of a device with a precious metal in the name at less than half the price!
    12-30-16 08:44 PM
    But then, that not the point, is it?

Passport SE: All the snooty prestige of a device with a precious metal in the name at less than half the price!
    Precisely!!!

Posted via CB10
    12-30-16 10:57 PM
    It's for this reason I wish BB would add a Distress Password to their phones in future updates. Entering the distress password once will immediately wipe files as the phone is handed to the 3rd party. By the time they look through it, everything is gone but they don't realize what just happened.
    David Tyler likes this.
    12-30-16 11:51 PM
    Oh well, can't say there's anything on my phone worth denying access to.
    You're not using it properly then.
    anon(3732391) likes this.
    12-30-16 11:54 PM
    No more pardons in Canada. That was part of the past prime ministers' agenda of Americanizing Canada.

Posted via CB10
    Lol how can you Americanise Canada when Canada is in North America?
    12-30-16 11:57 PM
    It's for this reason I wish BB would add a Distress Password to their phones in future updates. Entering the distress password once will immediately wipe files as the phone is handed to the 3rd party. By the time they look through it, everything is gone but they don't realize what just happened.
    I don't think Chen's buddies would appreciate that.
    12-31-16 12:05 AM
    Originally Posted by byex

Is that a trick question???

I'm tired of hearing how innocent everyone is. If you were born in North America your Guilty.
    Your birth certificate is proof of your guilt. PERIOD. END OF STORY!
    12-31-16 12:59 AM
    Exactly this. All those that say they have nothing to hide, when you're at home at night with the lights on, would you leave the curtains open and let people stand outside and stare in whenever they wish?, And not even care?

Ya mean that's not normal????
    12-31-16 01:04 AM
    Hah hah hah... Nice. Maybe "USA-ize" would have been a better choice?

12-31-16 07:51 AM
    All of North and South America is technically America, but the REAL America is the USA.
    *insert USA chanting here*

12-31-16 12:23 PM
    All of North and South America is technically America, but the REAL America is the USA.
    *insert USA chanting here*

There is one America, the continent, which was named way before the unimaginative bunch of doofuses known as gringos got there. Canadians should know better.
    12-31-16 05:51 PM
    This is disturbing...
    12-31-16 09:29 PM
    HAPPY NEW YEAR!!! From the UK.

Since you all speak English as a first language, you're all basically British anyway so since we all have that in common and Britain is currently looking for buddies right now, why don't we all swear allegiance to the Queen and enjoy some good old roast beef and plenty of horseradish?

Posted via CB10
    01-01-17 09:14 AM
    Originally Posted by byex http://forums.crackberry.com/images/...post-right.png

Is that a trick question???

I'm tired of hearing how innocent everyone is. If you were born in North America your Guilty.
    Your birth certificate is proof of your guilt. PERIOD. END OF STORY!
    Yes, yes it is. How are you Lostboy? Good year?

Posted via CB10
    01-01-17 09:16 AM
    There is one America, the continent, which was named way before the unimaginative bunch of doofuses known as gringos got there. Canadians should know better.
    Rumour has it that it actually wasn't there before it was discovered.

Posted via CB10
    01-01-17 09:17 AM
    Not saying it didn't happen, but there has to be more to the story.
    Perhaps Arizona? That's one messed up and paranoid place
    01-01-17 11:57 AM
    Not saying it didn't happen, but there has to be more to the story.
    I agree with you on both points but then, Never underestimate the power of dumb people in large groups! Especially, dumb people with guns!!
    01-01-17 12:30 PM
93 1234