Have to say guys, OP, somewhat OTT. If I was asked in this day and age at an airport I would be more than happy to provide all the security people asked. I have nowt to hide.
    That concept scares me, but whatever. To each their own.
    anon(3732391) likes this.
    12-28-16 02:12 PM
    The stakes are very real, you do NOT want to mess with border agents.

After the US "sub-prime" mortgage crash of 2008 I read the story of a BC native who had 23 years of successful consulting in the Phoenix, Az area - he had built a telecommunications consultancy.

He returned to BC for Christmas. When trying to re-enter the USA a border guard - just an ordinary, every-day, low-level border guard, REFUSED him RE-ENTRY into the USA on the grounds that he was taking a job that Americans needed!

Dude lost his business, had to take a BATH on his house (house values had crashed) and CANNOT re-enter the USA.

So, the border people on both sides of the border are a LAW UNTO THEMSELVES, do NOT be a nit-wit around them, as it can REALLY cause you problems.
    12-28-16 02:17 PM

After the US "sub-prime" mortgage crash of 2008 I read the story .
    Reading and believing are not the same things....
    12-28-16 02:44 PM
    ...Having an android would have been better cos at least there are apps like applock etc that provide second level protection with device admin.
    Fallacy. As Dunt Dunt Dunt eloquently put it:

But it's really a matter of people forgetting there is no difference in a locked briefcase and a locked phone... if they want it, you'll have to open it. You try to pull some "lock App" or other security nonsense that they probably see all the time. You'll just end up getting kicked further into the system...
    ...But I sure would not advise giving the impression you have something to hide.... unless you are in the mood for a FULL body search and a few hours or maybe days of peace and quiet away from work, family and friends.
    But I feel for you OP. This is the world we live in now.
    12-28-16 02:44 PM
    could have entered incorrectly 10 times too...
    Or, always have it already at 9 incorrect attempts.

/evil grin
    12-28-16 02:51 PM
    could have entered incorrectly 10 times too...
    Good idea but they don't ask you to put it in. They ask you to write it on a piece of paper incase it gets locked when they're viewing the contents.
    It was out of my sight for over 45 minutes. Just read other forums of a guy with a work phone and he said forensic analysis of his device showed transference of contents. I was just beyond shocked that this was even possible, more so by Canadian agents. Must have been living under a rock believing in ideals that are corroded.

Posted via CB10
    12-28-16 03:00 PM
    This has nothing to do with 'nothing to hide' I wish more people would come together, we allow this big conglomerates to rule us! Why! It's an evasive practice, what does inspecting digital software on any device do at the border......I just find this to be problematic, it doesn't matter what's on your device it's your business. If someone's gonna do something terrible, they will do it anyways. This is ridiculous. Can this happen to me if I'm flying within the continental divided states of america?

Or no for instance 'credit scores' and ficos, inquiries and hard soft pull. A bunch of BS. First of all its none of their business where I've applied for credit. You should be focused on my income and payment histories, this whole inquiry crap is bs. You should never lose points reviewing your credit regardless to whose doing the viewing should be no such thing as a soft or hard.

Can you imagine busting your butt on your HS transcript and sending out your grades and your GPA be affected every time someone reviews your grades, it is all a joke. We need to stop this and it's people who defend the gov and credit bureaus etc. Who are a part of the problem. He should not have to unlock his cellphone

Posted via CB10
    12-28-16 03:04 PM
    It's more alarming people are ok with this!!!

Posted via CB10
    arkenoi likes this.
    12-28-16 03:05 PM
    So basically don't travel with a personal device leave it home and buy a prepaid phone and number for travel, this is nasty. I swear I hate so much that we just 'meh' allow them to do to us. We all need to put down our beliefs,egos, religions, hate,etc. And really look at the mess!

Posted via CB10
    12-28-16 03:09 PM
    Woe be you also if you have a text or a pic or anything you don't want your partner, or travel friends or strangers to know about you, to see or anything of that sort as they can also review the contents in your presence. Just different scenarios that the government shouldn't be getting involved in. There's a reason why the charter says we have to be secure in our persons and our goods. It's scary when people defend invasive actions like this because they "think" they have nothing to hide.

Posted via CB10
    computedplus likes this.
    12-28-16 03:16 PM

After the US "sub-prime" mortgage crash of 2008 I read the story of a BC native who had 23 years of successful consulting in the Phoenix, Az area - he had built a telecommunications consultancy.

He returned to BC for Christmas. When trying to re-enter the USA a border guard - just an ordinary, every-day, low-level border guard, REFUSED him RE-ENTRY into the USA on the grounds that he was taking a job that Americans needed!

Dude lost his business, had to take a BATH on his house (house values had crashed) and CANNOT re-enter the USA.

So, the border people on both sides of the border are a LAW UNTO THEMSELVES, do NOT be a nit-wit around them, as it can REALLY cause you problems.
    Not saying it didn't happen, but there has to be more to the story.
    12-28-16 03:59 PM
    Weird double post......deleted.
    12-28-16 03:59 PM
    Reading and believing are not the same things....
    Well, it was on CBC that I read it. Take it for what it's worth. I know a guy who has a 35 year-old summary conviction - not even a criminal record - for smoking pot - that he can't get expunged from his record. He has to apply for a Waiver that's only good for 6 months if he wants to try and enter the USA. The Waiver does NOT guarantee him entrance to the USA - I have sat IN THE CAR with him watching the US border agent decide whether or not to let him into the country.

They DO have the power to do this - I've seen it in action (to a lesser degree than the BC dude, granted).
    12-28-16 04:12 PM
    Not saying it didn't happen, but there has to be more to the story.
    Very possibly. I'm just going by what I remember from an 8 year old news article - at my age, that can be a bit twitchy.
    12-28-16 04:13 PM
    ... He returned to BC for Christmas. When trying to re-enter the USA a border guard - just an ordinary, every-day, low-level border guard, REFUSED him RE-ENTRY into the USA on the grounds that he was taking a job that Americans needed!
    .... .
    There are rules about who can travel to work in the US on a temporary basis, and one of the first questions is "why can't someone in the US do this work?" If you meet the requirements, but are refused entry, it means that you have to have to go to the trouble to fill out more paperwork before you can re-apply for entry.

I know someone who was refused entry, filled out the form he was told he had to have, and when he showed the "required paperwork" on his next trip he was told that he didn't need it.
    12-28-16 06:49 PM
    I'd simply be flattered that someone thought my Passport was a menacing device and not some antique that most people do. "You wanna see my Berry? Let me show you everything"
    12-29-16 04:25 AM
    Works both ways with Canada-US border. A couple years ago my friend bought a new pickup in the states to drive to Alaska. He was denied crossing for 3 days because he had a teenage misdemeanor incident 25 years ago! I'm sure that he is black had nothing to do with it.
    12-29-16 04:30 AM
    Lol yeah sometime we just forget ha ha.

Posted via CB10
    Everyone have something to hide. It's a strange thing called "privacy".

But if you have nothing to hide, please send me your email adress, it's password, and some private pictures of your girlfriend.

Posted via CB10
    computedplus likes this.
    12-29-16 05:11 AM
    There are rules about who can travel to work in the US on a temporary basis, and one of the first questions is "why can't someone in the US do this work?" If you meet the requirements, but are refused entry, it means that you have to have to go to the trouble to fill out more paperwork before you can re-apply for entry.

I know someone who was refused entry, filled out the form he was told he had to have, and when he showed the "required paperwork" on his next trip he was told that he didn't need it.
    Doesn't that just sound like a typical bureaucracy at work!

I have a brother-in-law who does taxation work - quite a clever fellow. He regularly has Revenue Canada people call him for tax advice - the things THEY are supposed to know.
    12-29-16 08:05 AM
    Careful. I know people who would think this was a great vacation. (Jackd... pay no attention!) and who wouldn't just LOVE a full body search!!!
    Will they also check my PSA level while, ahem, in there!!!!
    12-29-16 08:38 AM
    I say we get The Mad Berry Berry Cracked Mob together and take it to the streets!
    12-29-16 12:43 PM
    Doesn't that just sound like a typical bureaucracy at work!

I have a brother-in-law who does taxation work - quite a clever fellow. He regularly has Revenue Canada people call him for tax advice - the things THEY are supposed to know.

Sounds like so many people with issues on their devices.....
    12-29-16 12:45 PM
    Will they also check my PSA level while, ahem, in there!!!!
    I'm sure if you ask nicely and cooperate, they'll even rip you a new one if you ask!
    Just don't give 'em your password!

Disclaimer:
    It's not my fault if we took a wrong turn and are off-track!
    Mongo just pawn in game of life.!!
    12-29-16 12:49 PM
    So... You LIKE the body search idea, huh??

(see disclaimer above)
    Last edited by Lostboy5151; 12-29-16 at 02:53 PM.
    12-29-16 12:53 PM
    This is disturbing if true, because people in my line of work have privileged information on their phones, out of necessity. There is no way to work "in the cloud" on a phone afaik, and even if so, the roaming charges would be astronomical.

Posted via CB10 on Passport.
    12-29-16 07:19 PM
93 1234