Have been elated using my encrypted and secure feeling blackberry passport until I had an incident with the cbsa at the border. I was asked to go to secondary inspection and one of the requirements was that I provide the password to my phone.

Never felt so invaded in my life and all the benefits of having an encrypted phone just washed away from my eyes. Having an android would have been better cos at least there are apps like applock etc that provide second level protection with device admin. My pictures, texts and files were all exposed to the big guy and I felt violated. Didn't even know that asking for passwords for phones were a thing. What do you guys think?

Posted via CB10
    12-27-16 04:10 PM
    They can and will. And if you decline, they can and will fine you and take you to court for 'hindering or obstructing border officials'. Lawyers and rights defendants still argue you shouldn't lawfully be required to but CBSA acts under the impression that it is the law and you must abide by it due to the 'loose' language used.

Section 153.1 of the Customs Act provides that:

“No person shall, physically or otherwise, do or attempt to do any of the following:
    (a) interfere with or molest an officer doing anything that the officer is authorized to do under this Act; or
    (b) hinder or prevent an officer from doing anything that the officer is authorized to do under this Act.”
    Ultimately, you can take any measures you see fit to protect yourself against it but again, the loose language used opens the doors for them to say you hindered or obstructed their investigations and there's very little you can do in the moment. Any action you take, include declining their efforts to access your device, will have to be fought after the fact.
    12-27-16 04:54 PM
    WHAT?? No strip search???
    At least with MY Passport Apps like Applock,etc work just fine. Infact, I have the entire Norton Security w/Backup on all my computers and it comes with Norton Mobile Security.

YOu are aware that BB10 is cross-platform with Android, right?????

A one year subscription for Norton is about $45.00 (U.S) and is good for 10 (ten) devices.
    If you're gonna buy a quality device like the Passport, then you can afford the best protection.
    If you have ANYTHING ANDROID then you HAVE to have the best protection.

As for the "big guy" You should have stuck your ground and made him torture you. You could have forever Martyred yourself for the cause.
    They would have surely named a phone after you.
    Lawrie Sherratt likes this.
    12-27-16 04:57 PM
    They can and will. And if you decline, they can and will fine you and take you to court for 'hindering or obstructing border officials'.

... and what's the BAD news???
    12-27-16 04:58 PM
    Oh well, can't say there's anything on my phone worth denying access to.
    12-27-16 04:58 PM
    12-27-16 05:00 PM
    Which is just redic.
    12-27-16 05:06 PM
    Fake unlock app. Show fake fakeness.

Yep. A PassPort.
    12-27-16 05:39 PM
    Freedom's just another word for nothing left to lose!

Our Pres. elect will put a stop to all this harassment.
    "Shoot On Site" will be the new "Welcome to America."

Lawrie Sherratt and DesRee like this.
    12-27-16 05:58 PM
    I forgot my password!
    That's what I would say.
    12-27-16 07:47 PM
    I forgot my password!
    That's what I would say.
    They will seize your phone and try to break into it. I'm sure the feds have backdoors into blackberry encryption. Not sure. I tried the charter rights approach, and was asking about what reasonable suspicion the agent had but I saw his partner reach back for his cuffs etal. Heard it's not worth the stress and they can slap you with what Bla1ze said "hindering their investigation" or detain you and leave it to the courts to sort you out which is a time waster. I have no records and I'm happy go lucky. I heard it's normal procedure when sent to secondary. Just shocked that there's no outcry.

Posted via CB10
    12-27-16 07:58 PM
    Well, They didn't make you take off your shoes. That's gotta count for something.
    12-27-16 08:41 PM
    Has nothing to do with BlackBerry, they could've asked you with any phone. If they really want a close look, they can take it and do so at their leisure. Both sides of the border. Ain't nothing you can do about it at the time. Legal or not, in front of the border dudes, they are pretty much God. You can try to complain after the fact but they know nobody is going to get even a reprimand even if they're wrong.

There are apps for BB10 which will provide some protection or hiding from casual search though. Don't hide everything, blank phone is suspicious for sure.
    12-27-16 10:13 PM
    From what I understand they can force you to provide a thumb print but no a password. Yes they can put you through the ringer with an attempted fine and hassle of going to court but if everyone did it they may make amendments
    redwhales1010 likes this.
    12-27-16 10:24 PM
    could have entered incorrectly 10 times too...
    12-27-16 10:33 PM
    JC is a Fed
    12-27-16 10:46 PM
    Lol yeah sometime we just forget ha ha.

Posted via CB10
    12-28-16 10:33 AM
    Have to say guys, OP, somewhat OTT. If I was asked in this day and age at an airport I would be more than happy to provide all the security people asked. I have nowt to hide.
    12-28-16 10:54 AM
    Have to say guys, OP, somewhat OTT. If I was asked in this day and age at an airport I would be more than happy to provide all the security people asked. I have nowt to hide.
    There are plenty of law abiding people that might have a few snapshots on their phone, that they don't want some Airport or Border guard... smiling at.

But it's really a matter of people forgetting there is no difference in a locked briefcase and a locked phone... if they want it, you'll have to open it. You try to pull some "lock App" or other security nonsense that they probably see all the time. You'll just end up getting kicked further into the system.
    12-28-16 01:11 PM
    If its for pics just create the hidden folder on your BlackBerry.
    I dont know why the zip option is without passwords. It was a great feature on OS7.

#soon, later, later this year, fiscal year, commitment,...blablabla ~J.BlaBla Chen
    computedplus likes this.
    12-28-16 01:18 PM
    See? THat's why howarmat is a team "Leader" and gets paid the big money. You've gotta think like a criminal !!
    12-28-16 01:36 PM
    If its for pics just create the hidden folder on your BlackBerry.
    I dont know why the zip option is without passwords. It was a great feature on OS7.

#soon, later, later this year, fiscal year, commitment,...blablabla ~J.BlaBla Chen
    Get an: PIKTURES which has that feature
    12-28-16 01:39 PM
    See? THat's why howarmat is a team "Leader" and gets paid the big money. You've gotta think like a criminal !!
    Don't think he is speaking from experience....

But I sure would not advise giving the impression you have something to hide.... unless you are in the mood for a FULL body search and a few hours or maybe days of peace and quiet away from work, family and friends.
    12-28-16 01:45 PM
    There are plenty of law abiding people that might have a few snapshots on their phone, that they don't want some Airport or Border guard... smiling at.

But it's really a matter of people forgetting there is no difference in a locked briefcase and a locked phone... if they want it, you'll have to open it. You try to pull some "lock App" or other security nonsense that they probably see all the time. You'll just end up getting kicked further into the system.
    I beg to differ! You can stash a lot more dope in the briefcase.
    btw: About your statement: "There are plenty of law abiding people...." you shouldn't talk about things you know nothing about!! (just saying)
    Dunt Dunt Dunt likes this.
    12-28-16 01:45 PM
    Don't think he is speaking from experience....

But I sure would not advise giving the impression you have something to hide.... unless you are in the mood for a FULL body search and a few hours or maybe days of peace and quiet away from work, family and friends.

Careful. I know people who would think this was a great vacation. (Jackd... pay no attention!) and who wouldn't just LOVE a full body search!!!
    12-28-16 01:48 PM
93 123 ...