When I first turned on my Z30 after using a Z10 for a year, I didn't like the screen. That only lasted for about an hour though. Now, whenever I switch it up once and a while or use my wife's Z10, I definitely prefer the Z30.

"BB POWERED" C001C1D66
    08-17-14 01:12 AM
    I just want a passport, either screen will be fine with me!

Posted via CB10
    08-17-14 01:19 AM
    Anyone knows if the emails will have black background while opened with the upcoming black HUB theme ?

Posted from my flawless BlackBerry Z30
    08-17-14 04:25 AM
    I like the more vivid colors on the Z30 compared to the Z10. The Z10 is a sharper display, but the colors don't seem as vibrant.
    08-17-14 11:06 AM
    As well as grammar.

Posted via CB10
    Excuse my grammar, I would like to see your text in a foreign language.

No excuses - I'm still learning English.

08-17-14 11:38 AM
    Lol, that's not an AMOLED. It's in direct sunlight outdoors you're not going to be able to tell.

It's IPS LCD.
    08-17-14 12:26 PM
    Amoled is better for the battery life

posted via my Q10SQN100-3/10.3.0.xxx (don't ask)
    Bull this has been disproven.

Isp displays are quite competitive especially from LG

? BlackBerry Z30 ? If it Don't Make Dollars, It don't Make Sense ?
    Heinz Katchup likes this.
    08-17-14 01:59 PM
    My Nokia Lumia Icon has one of the most gorgeous screens I've ever seen. According to the specs there are much better screens out there, but in the real world the Nokia display is fabulous. It's that "clear black" display that makes all the difference.
    08-17-14 02:02 PM
    When I had a Z10 I couldn't imagine carrying an AMOLED screen, the colors were so unreal but when I switched to it, I wasn't disappointed at all. It took me 2 or 3 days to deal with but since I'm formated lol. I even increased my TV color because it seems very poor and I didn't imagine how did I leave with such poor color for years!
    Now I appreciate the deeper black of the AMOLED screen, nothing to do with the OLED of the Q10. I will be sad if the Passport will rock an LCD but I will love it tho

What you are perceiving as "better" is actually serious over-saturation. All AMOLED displays suffer from the same problem. Unfortunately, the human brain interprets over-saturated colours and excessive brightness as perceptively "better looking" than true colours and normal brightness levels. In reality, an IPS LCD is substantially better than any AMOLED display.

This by the way is also the reason why the iPhone camera has become so popular. Shooting in HDR (high dynamic range) highly over-saturates the colour and boosts the contrast to excessive levels. It actually makes for bad photographs that are not color-accurate. In reality HDR is intended to be used as an artistic expression, not for general photography.

Posted via CrackBerry App
    austriker likes this.
    08-18-14 10:07 AM
    From what I saw in the last sneak peek Video it seems that the BlackBerry Passport will finally carry an AMOLED screen ! The dark on the video seems to be deeper! This will be definitely a great news if it is confirmed
    Attachment 291069
    Attachment 291070

To me that looks like an LCD screen. The glossyness is text book LCD.

I personally prefer LCD over super amoled. The color reproduction is much more accurate.

Samsung has the world fooled with their exaggerated color reproduction on their phones and crummy flat screens at home.

Posted via CB10
    08-18-14 10:29 AM
    To me that looks like an LCD screen. The glossyness is text book LCD.

I personally prefer LCD over super amoled. The color reproduction is much more accurate.

Samsung has the world fooled with their exaggerated color reproduction on their phones and crummy flat screens at home.

Posted via CB10
    Funny that you say that about Samsung TVs. I have the one of the few last highest-end series of Samsung LCD TVs, the LN40B750 before they started putting LED on everything. The picture quality and color reproduction of my TV after a bit of calibration is still better than virtually any high end Samsung TV right now. I think that their quality has once again gone down hill, which I suppose is expected with the increase in popularity.
    08-18-14 11:28 AM
    Funny that you say that about Samsung TVs. I have the one of the few last highest-end series of Samsung LCD TVs, the LN40B750 before they started putting LED on everything. The picture quality and color reproduction of my TV after a bit of calibration is still better than virtually any high end Samsung TV right now. I think that their quality has once again gone down hill, which I suppose is expected with the increase in popularity.
    They really managed to convince a lot of people their image is best. To the average consumer it's easily done!

I too have calibrated my high end JVC LCD tv and I till this day I still love it.

I will not buy anything Samsung no matter what. I know most of iPhone, BlackBerry phones use Samsung components so nor much choice with that!

Posted via CB10
    08-18-14 12:20 PM
    My folks have a Samsung TV, too. And the color reproduction is not so great, and the edge-lit display is rather uneven.

But the most annoying thing about Samsung TVs is that when the screen goes blank/black (like during a credit sequence), the backlight will turn off and the screen will go dead, then flash on wildly when a bit of text pops up. It's unbelievably distracting when watching a movie. I've noticed this occurrence on multiple different Samsung flat panels, and there is no setting to disable this functionality (as confirmed by a Samsung phone support rep).

Samsung produces garbage that looks good on paper.

Posted via CB10
    surgeon1919 likes this.
    08-18-14 12:45 PM
    I actually prefer the colors and tones of my z10 as opposed to my z30.. but that's the photographer in me. It just seems more natural and easier on the eyes, the Z30 is so "screeny"

White Z30STA100-5/10.2.1.1925 = heaven.
    Heinz Katchup likes this.
    08-18-14 08:52 PM
    If BlackBerry Passport will have an Amoled screen, that's great!

If it will have IPS LCD screen, that is great too!

What's wrong with you people?

Posted via CB10
    08-18-14 09:29 PM

Posted via CB10
    True. But we are obsessed with the passport and thus obsess with every small detail. Can't wait for it! Awwww

White Z30STA100-5/10.2.1.1925 = heaven.
    08-18-14 11:54 PM

Posted via CB10
    We want The Passport to be a success. Therefore it matters that it has an IPS LCD display.

Posted with X10 via CB10
    08-18-14 11:56 PM
    To be very realistic amoled screens outdoor visibility is pathetic.

Passport should come with ips lcd.

Posted from my Black Beast Q10
    08-19-14 12:04 AM
    To be very realistic amoled screens outdoor visibility is pathetic.

Passport should come with ips lcd.

I actually find it the opposite.

"BB POWERED" C001C1D66
    lift likes this.
    08-19-14 01:23 AM
    I like the idea of the AMOLED, for battery life. But the Z10 looks so much more vibrant. I think LCD offers a higher quality display.

Short Stories and Similar Submissions, a Channel dedicated to creative writing and constructive critique C003CC54C. Daily Old Radio Shows! The only Channel that actually offers you a source for entertainment. C0012487D
    08-19-14 02:19 AM

"BB POWERED" C001C1D66
    AMOLEDs typically have worse brightness output (in nits).
    08-19-14 02:41 AM

"BB POWERED" C001C1D66
    Most of the q10 and z30 users are having a hard time with using those device screen outside especially when sunny.

LCD may be be power consuming,but it gives better colour reproduction and brightness.

08-19-14 04:37 AM
    Most of the q10 and z30 users are having a hard time with using those device screen outside especially when sunny.

LCD may be be power consuming,but it gives better colour reproduction and brightness.

It can also dim to a lower brightness for use at night (my Q10 barely changes from low to high).

Posted via CB10
    08-19-14 07:56 AM
    AMOLED really only has better blacks. The rest is pretty similar between a modern IPS LCD and AMOLED. A lot of progress has been made in displays in the past few years.

Posted via CB10
    09-29-14 08:09 PM
    I just hope the brightness will be good if it's a AMOLED. That's the only downside of my Z30. I just want my phone on 100% brightness, but the auto dim is in the way.

Posted via CB10
    I have the same experience. Love my Z30, but the screen us too dark.

BB Proud
    10-14-14 10:37 AM
54 123