I think it all depends on what you want out of a device. For me I just got my Passport about a month ago as my business phone. I still have my iPhone as my main device. However, I love my Passport even with the lack of apps and unsupported OS. Yeah, I would love to have my Passport as my main device because it's so unique. I love the size of the Passport, the keyboard of course and the battery life which is amazing! Not to mention it's quite fast for an outdated OS. However, I do enjoy a lot of apps that the Passport doesn't support, which is why I have another device. Honestly, I don't think I'll ever part ways with my Passport as my business phone. Hell I might even find a way to get my hands on an SE the or the red edition.

Posted via CB10
    Qorax likes this.
    11-06-17 10:17 AM
    C'mon, Google Maps can't be considered leisure or entertainment app. And don't tell me it works properly on Passport, I don't want the 4.1 Android runtime, I'm in 2018 and I want things to work, not me work to make things work.

Oh, BlackBerry fanboy here, 37, working daily with Passport and WhatsApping with a Z10.
    Because I do love BlackBerry I'll soon buy K1.
    Still, Passport will stay solid at my house, not going to be sold.

Remember one thing: licensing a brand is not selling/gifting/giving up with it.
    We're one the same boat guys, there aren't opponents, just patterns of use (and no app of course!)
    11-06-17 12:25 PM
    C'mon, Google Maps can't be considered leisure or entertainment app. And don't tell me it works properly on Passport, I don't want the 4.1 Android runtime, I'm in 2018 and I want things to work, not me work to make things work.

Oh, BlackBerry fanboy here, 37, working daily with Passport and WhatsApping with a Z10.
    Because I do love BlackBerry I'll soon buy K1.
    Still, Passport will stay solid at my house, not going to be sold.

Remember one thing: licensing a brand is not selling/gifting/giving up with it.
    We're one the same boat guys, there aren't opponents, just patterns of use (and no app of course!)
    Google Maps works perfectly fine on the Passport without patching. And the Android Runtime is 4.3, not 4.1. Always misinformation in theses threads...

Waze works also.

Posted via CB10
    Qorax likes this.
    11-06-17 02:09 PM
    LOL, I wouldnt name misinformation a typo. And don't tell me it works fine: working fine means no lag and being available on the spot, no need to go download from third parties (and your device probably isn't connected to a EMM otherwise you'll see how fun is to install app from third parties...)

It's called User Experience.
    11-06-17 02:23 PM
    ^What is EMM sir?

*Sorry I'm still catching up on the terms/abbreviations
    11-06-17 02:26 PM
    ^What is EMM sir?

*Sorry I'm still catching up on the terms/abbreviations
    Enterprise Mobility Management
    11-06-17 02:32 PM
    ^Thank you Mr. Finley

*hitting google now to know what it means
    11-06-17 02:42 PM
    Google Maps works perfectly fine on the Passport without patching. And the Android Runtime is 4.3, not 4.1. Always misinformation in theses threads...

Waze works also.

Posted via CB10
    I searched BlackBerry World for Google Maps. It's not there. Therefore it doesn't matter if it works or not, if you have to jump through hoops to get the app, it doesn't exist for that device.

If it doesn't work out of the box, it's not for the casual user. Passport and BlackBerry 10 are dead and recommending them to a casual user who doesn't know better is irresponsible.

If you think a casual user looking for a recommendation should buy BlackBerry 10, why not buy it for them, then ask them to pay you back if they keep it for more than 6 months. My guess is you'll be getting the device back before the cash.

Posted via CB10
    11-06-17 07:23 PM
    I searched BlackBerry World for Google Maps. It's not there. Therefore it doesn't matter if it works or not, if you have to jump through hoops to get the app, it doesn't exist for that device.

If it doesn't work out of the box, it's not for the casual user. Passport and BlackBerry 10 are dead and recommending them to a casual user who doesn't know better is irresponsible.

If you think a casual user looking for a recommendation should buy BlackBerry 10, why not buy it for them, then ask them to pay you back if they keep it for more than 6 months. My guess is you'll be getting the device back before the cash.

Posted via CB10
    I never advice someone to buy a Passport now, I just said Google Maps is available and works fine.

You must be joking about it not available in BBW, it must be since at least two years that the main source of apps for BB10 is Android apps, with numerous and easy solution to obtain them.

The fact that some refuse to do it doesn't mean BB10 doesn't have access to theses apps.

Posted via CB10
    Qorax likes this.
    11-07-17 12:20 AM
    If it doesn't work out of the box, it doesn't work for a casual user.

That's my point.

Some on here suggest the Passport is still a device for the casual user, which is irresponsible as far as I am concerned and the issue currently being debated.

Posted via CB10
    11-07-17 07:40 AM
    I never advice someone to buy a Passport now, I just said Google Maps is available and works fine.

You must be joking about it not available in BBW, it must be since at least two years that the main source of apps for BB10 is Android apps, with numerous and easy solution to obtain them.

The fact that some refuse to do it doesn't mean BB10 doesn't have access to theses apps.

Posted via CB10
    But it's not available if you have to sideload an unsupported service to download it and make it work.

Realistically, the aging runtime is BB10's biggest problem but if the app isn't on BB World or Amazon it's essentially unsupported by the developer.
    11-07-17 09:59 AM
    But it's not available if you have to sideload an unsupported service to download it and make it work.

Realistically, the aging runtime is BB10's biggest problem but if the app isn't on BB World or Amazon it's essentially unsupported by the developer.
    Sorry, BS. The fact some brainwork is required to get to the app doesn't mean it's unsupported. BB10 has Android Runtime as concluded. Google maps runs and with that is nothing less or nothing more supported than on any other older Android phone.

Posted via CB10
    11-07-17 10:35 AM
    Sorry, BS. The fact some brainwork is required to get to the app doesn't mean it's unsupported. BB10 has Android Runtime as concluded. Google maps runs and with that is nothing less or nothing more supported than on any other older Android phone.

Posted via CB10
    Does Google support Google Maps on BB10? You can sideload apps of course but if the app breaks or you run into an issue, will the developer or app store provide support for BB10 users?
    11-07-17 10:41 AM
    Obviously someone who is using the Passport as a daily driver isn't probably going to be happy about the fact that there is a bunch of apps that aren't supported or have to be sideloaded. However, I think before someone goes through all the trouble of finding a quality Passport at a reasonable price they will do extensive research on everything Passport and Blackberry related. So they will already know about everything that Passport can and cannot do. If they take the advice of someone who enjoys the Passport and end up not liking the Passport then it's a mistake on them.

Posted via CB10
    Qorax likes this.
    11-07-17 05:38 PM
    For who? Not everyone. There are tons of us for whom the BB-Passport is a perfectly satisfactory standalone phone. It is still being purchased everywhere. For sure we are some minuscule numbers - but then Blackberry as a whole has been minuscule for a while.

IMO, the Passport and Priv are the only two devices which are true head turners They do have a shock-n-awe effect on any and everyone nearby. In a good way. Passport especially has that wow factor!
    You can add the Keyone to that unique list, but it is certainly a distance behind the Passport.

Z30STA100-5/10.3.3.2163

Posted via CB10
    Qorax and ratfinkstooley like this.
    11-07-17 06:25 PM
    You can add the Keyone to that unique list, but it is certainly a distance behind the Passport.

Z30STA100-5/10.3.3.2163

Posted via CB10
    True that.
    ratfinkstooley likes this.
    11-07-17 06:34 PM
    ...However, I think before someone goes through all the trouble of finding a quality Passport at a reasonable price they will do extensive research on everything Passport and Blackberry related. So they will already know about everything that Passport can and cannot do...

Posted via CB10
    Well said.

I did that - and yet bought a Passport (Black). One week into it, fell in love, and bought another (White). Whereafter, am looking for a third (Red) now. The idea is to have them all before they disappear, for good.
    ratfinkstooley likes this.
    11-07-17 06:40 PM
    If it doesn't work out of the box, it doesn't work for a casual user.

That's my point.

Some on here suggest the Passport is still a device for the casual user, which is irresponsible as far as I am concerned and the issue currently being debated.

Posted via CB10
    Ummm.... just so ya know, android and ios applications don't work out of the box. For example, on my Keyone, I had to set up a Google account just to get basic functionality. I would argue that bb 10 is the most functional OS out of the box. All the basics are included with the phone. I can easily use a Passport as my only phone.

As far as Google maps goes, I just use the browser on the bb10 phones for it. Again out of the box.

More often than that however, I use Maps. Me. No data required, but you do need an account for BlackBerry World to install it.

Via Z30STA100-5/10.3.3.2163 whilst my Keyone sits.

Posted via CB10
    Qorax and ratfinkstooley like this.
    11-07-17 06:45 PM
    Well said.

I did that - and yet bought a Passport (Black). One week into it, fell in love, and bought another (White). Whereafter, am looking for a third (Red) now. The idea is to have them all before they disappear, for good.
    The silver one has the best keyboard so you know. I have the black and silver one. My biggest gripe with the phone is you can't get an arm band for it.

If the white passport is similar to the white q10/z10/z30, I find the black ones to be less slippery. The red passports are rare and usually go for a premium.

Posted via CB10
    Qorax likes this.
    11-07-17 06:52 PM
    If calls,text and email is good enough then go ahead. I still use mine but I don't do social media ( aka bitchfest) or twitter.

Posted via CB10
    Fellow Brooklynknight??

Posted via CB10
    11-07-17 06:56 PM
    The silver one has the best keyboard so you know. I have the black and silver one. My biggest gripe with the phone is you can't get an arm band for it.

If the white passport is similar to the white q10/z10/z30, I find the black ones to be less slippery. The red passports are rare and usually go for a premium.

Posted via CB10
    True that. BBP/SE seems to be a better device amongst. However, I liked the look and feel of the OG Black - hence grabbed that instead. Nonetheless you're right - I need to 'add' that into my list as well
    11-07-17 07:11 PM
    Fellow Brooklynknight??

Posted via CB10
    Good eye....since moved but originally.
    McDonald Ave and Village road South.
    11-07-17 09:08 PM
    Interesting conversation here.

I do recommend the passport. The qwerty, email still the best. The shape of the phone, the screen size, no other phone like it.

People like it when they see it. They surprised. "Blackberry still make phones?"

What sucks? Android 4.3! Day by day the support continues to dwindle. The apps oftentimes are bootlegs and going extinct.

However even the Viber app still works okay visually in the text department. Answering calls on it can be tricky.

Still use Facebook lite and Messenger. Even the chatheads work.

Video calling possible but battery burner.

Camera ok in day light. Decent nature shots.

PassportSQW100-1/10.3.3.3057
    11-07-17 09:14 PM
    Sincerely I have no idea what BB10 but definiscono nitly I need a phisical keyboard because I had an iPhone but it was an awful experience and for this reason I do not want anymore IOS neither Android.

I found the answer in the forum but, if I understood there are people who download and install without troubles the android app and other people who cannot.
    Between milions of app in google play, I need only the app used for travel planning, pdf reader (this is a must), and that for the ground transportation in my city.
    Guys and gals, read above.... (OP)This person doesn't need stupid fanboy answers regarding practically EOL OS.....

Does this person sound like they're able to simply use BB10 just outta the box....????
    11-07-17 09:26 PM
    With a little try and maybe ask someone.... Yes

Posted via CB10
    11-08-17 12:16 AM
148 ... 23456