Hi! I'm thinking about getting a Blackberry Passport to use it as a daily driver. The main apps that I use are: Facebook, Facebook Messenger, Instagram and Whatsapp. Are the Android versions usable? Currently, my daily driver is a Huawei P9 Lite. What do you think about the change?

Thank you and sorry for my spelling mistakes.
    04-04-17 03:52 PM
    Why are we getting the same questions every second day?
    andy957 likes this.
    04-04-17 04:22 PM
    If those are you everyday apps on an Android phone then you likely will get frustrated with the limited versions on BB10. Your better choice would be to get a DTEK60 or a KEYone.
    If you really want to get a Passport to see for yourself be sure to get a used one for under $150. If you have the option to sample a friend's Passport so that you van view and experience the difference on BB10 that would be best.

Posted via CB10
    BigBadWulf likes this.
    04-04-17 04:37 PM
    Don't you like the P9 lite? I used one and is a very good phone. Maybe you need a dtek 60 if you use social apps
    04-04-17 07:40 PM
    Why are we getting the same questions every second day?
    Lol
    04-04-17 10:54 PM
    I like the P9 Lite but I've heard a lot of good stuff about the Passport and I really like the form factor.
    04-05-17 12:01 AM
    Don't you like the P9 lite? I used one and is a very good phone. Maybe you need a dtek 60 if you use social apps
    I like the P9 Lite but I've heard a lot of good stuff about the Passport and I really like the form factor.
    04-05-17 12:02 AM
    If you are really depending on social media apps I wouldn't buy it even though there are great native apps such as inst10.
    I got my passport and q10 about a month ago and im really liking them so far. Having used every new mobile os there is, I like the bb10 most because of its productive features and simplicity.
    If you are comfortable with workarounds and the fact that your phone is running dying os go for it!

Posted via CB10
    I'm looking to use this phone like any other uni student. Browse Facebook and Instagram, chat with my GF and my friends and that's it. I've been looking all over the internet for some new videos about the phone but the latest was posted 5 months ago. None of my friends has one unfortunatelly and I can't find any video that shows how the phone handles todays Android apps.
    04-05-17 12:06 AM
    If those are you everyday apps on an Android phone then you likely will get frustrated with the limited versions on BB10. Your better choice would be to get a DTEK60 or a KEYone.
    If you really want to get a Passport to see for yourself be sure to get a used one for under $150. If you have the option to sample a friend's Passport so that you van view and experience the difference on BB10 that would be best.

Posted via CB10
    Unfortunatelly I can't afford a DTEK 60 or a KEYOne, not even Priv. I can exchange my phone for a Passport. Sadly, none of my friends has a Passport so I can't try BB10 and I can't find any video on Youtube that shows how Passport handles the Android apps nowadays.
    04-05-17 12:10 AM
    Unfortunatelly I can't afford a DTEK 60 or a KEYOne, not even Priv. I can exchange my phone for a Passport. Sadly, none of my friends has a Passport so I can't try BB10 and I can't find any video on Youtube that shows how Passport handles the Android apps nowadays.
    With that said, then you will be satisfied hence limited choice. YouTube will not be adequate in demonstrating what you wish to see and understand.
    If you get a Passport with the native Facebook still running then it's will be a pain due to not being able to see the replies or reactions or shared posts. It's gets old fast. I use Facebook Lite and it's good enough with simple notifications in the hub but not like the old facebook.

I used Messenger in the BlackBerry store and it Sucks! Just use the Facebook Lite.

Instagram is a dicey choice between insta10 and iGrann. I use iGrann Pro and it's awesome with one exception. I can't upload video on my phone and can't PM pictures. But you can save picture easily to you phone. Can't say I remember what the con's were for insta10.

No snapchat!

WhatsApp is great but we will have to see what happens in June. If it stops working the there is the Android variant but you will need to install a patch called WhatsApp Fixer. There are many posts on this. Apparently it is supposed to work very well with the same type of simple notifications in the HUB as Facebook Lite.

I guess go ahead and try a Passport out just check for screen lift in the corners, check to make sure the spacebar clicks as well as other keys and that camera focuses ok.

Good luck brother. I love my two Passports

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by The_Passporter; 04-05-17 at 12:40 AM.
    04-05-17 12:26 AM
    If you are looking for on the forum threads about Whatsapp and android apps on the Passport, you should get a picture of the current situation. It Whatsapp will no longer work on the blackberry at the end of June, the android application that old version of the support core of the Android system, perhaps, over time, will also cease well or fully to work... on the one hand, the decision to purchase the Passport, because the equipment is super, on the other hand, you need to remember about the limitations of the equipment...
    04-05-17 12:33 AM
    Still rocking my passport, though I am thinking of dtek60

Posted via CB10
    04-05-17 12:36 AM
    Aside from screen lifting issues and app limitations, some Passports​ also have the "Emergency calls only" bug.
    Read all about them in the numerous threads here before deciding to buy one.
    04-05-17 12:50 AM
    I have a nexus 6p. And a passport. I like doing emails on the Passport more. And that's all really. BlackBerry 10 feels stone age compared to Android 7.1.2 to me.

Dont get it for the social apps. My advice. You didn't mention anything else. Email?
    04-05-17 01:10 AM
    If you are looking for on the forum threads about Whatsapp and android apps on the Passport, you should get a picture of the current situation. It Whatsapp will no longer work on the blackberry at the end of June, the android application that old version of the support core of the Android system, perhaps, over time, will also cease well or fully to work... on the one hand, the decision to purchase the Passport, because the equipment is super, on the other hand, you need to remember about the limitations of the equipment...
    Thank you for the advice!
    04-05-17 01:25 AM
    I'm using E-mail just for univeristy stuff and that is very rare.
    04-05-17 01:26 AM
    With that said, then you will be satisfied hence limited choice. YouTube will not be adequate in demonstrating what you wish to see and understand.
    If you get a Passport with the native Facebook still running then it's will be a pain due to not being able to see the replies or reactions or shared posts. It's gets old fast. I use Facebook Lite and it's good enough with simple notifications in the hub but not like the old facebook.

I used Messenger in the BlackBerry store and it Sucks! Just use the Facebook Lite.

Instagram is a dicey choice between insta10 and iGrann. I use iGrann Pro and it's awesome with one exception. I can't upload video on my phone and can't PM pictures. But you can save picture easily to you phone. Can't say I remember what the con's were for insta10.

No snapchat!

WhatsApp is great but we will have to see what happens in June. If it stops working the there is the Android variant but you will need to install a patch called WhatsApp Fixer. There are many posts on this. Apparently it is supposed to work very well with the same type of simple notifications in the HUB as Facebook Lite.

I guess go ahead and try a Passport out just check for screen lift in the corners, check to make sure the spacebar clicks as well as other keys and that camera focuses ok.

Good luck brother. I love my two Passports

Posted via CB10
    Thank you for the reply. I'll consider your advice.
    04-05-17 01:27 AM
    Op watch this, I think this covers everything you need to know about using passport in 2017

Posted via CB10
    04-05-17 02:10 AM
    Nope it isn't.

Posted via CB10
    04-05-17 03:26 AM
    Yes is it. It is.

Sent from one of my SE Passports using BB10 superior software.
    04-05-17 10:59 AM
    It pains me - but I just bought a Mate 9. Loved my red Passport, but too many hassles for me, especially the browser crashing issues.
    04-05-17 11:04 AM
    Whatsapp for bb10 will stop working end of June. I am not sure if the android version would be still working as well. I have zero browser problems with the native browser, and Qbrowser pro and Browsie Browser are somehow helping me in case of problems.

For FB I use the browser, or also FacePro. I do not use Instagram, but I think people are using it on BlackBerry without problems.

Posted via CB10
    04-05-17 11:15 AM
    As much as I like the BlackBerry Passport's looks, it sounds like Android app functionality is your main concern here, so you should keep your Huawei P9 Lite and maybe get the Passport as a secondary device. The Android runtime will only get worse on BlackBerry 10 devices as time passes and more android apps become dependent on newer versions like Marshmallow or Nougat.

Only buy the BlackBerry Passport if you really dig the looks and BlackBerry 10 UI, but don't buy it for certain social apps.
    04-05-17 05:37 PM
    I have been using my original black Passport for some 2.5 years, traveling several times around the globe for business trips. Fills well my mini-computer/e-mails/storage/Skype/BBM/camera needs and have no urging to change it. Will probably use it to the ground, as I've yet to identify what I could improve on it for my present needs.
    04-05-17 07:09 PM
    I got the Passport three days after launch and still in love with it. Not sure what you would need to do on it that it doesn't do or have an alternative for. Just wiped mine and updated then loaded from scratch and everything works snappy and perfectly. If there is something you want to do on it or a particular app just ask. I have no incentive to move to android any time soon.

Posted via CB10
    ratfinkstooley and Praganad like this.
    04-05-17 10:10 PM
37 12