How much gold and other worth-while materials are inside a passport?

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by Leyra B10; 10-05-18 at 01:22 AM.
    10-04-18 10:06 PM
    Stupidity
    10-04-18 10:27 PM
    How much gold and other wothwhile materials are inside a passport?
    A dollar or two. Unless you're set up to reclaim that stuff in bulk, there's little point.
    10-04-18 11:08 PM
    I think at this point users only ask for a decisive decision whether the devices will still function after said date and whether the backups made will continue to be functional for resetting phones.

The first part about the phone continuing to boot up properly is not a lot to ask a company to clarify. I'm not asking for continued support, just a couple answers lol.

This leaves some questioning continued brand loyalty I'm sure, with concern for the future of TCL or should I say BlackBerry mobile
    There is no reason to think the phone won't boot properly, as no connection with the servers is required upon boot. You can turn off the radios and test this for yourself.

If the BBID validation server isn't available, then things get dicey if you ever have to restore or wipe the phone because you won't be able to validate your identity.

Posted with my trusty Z10
    10-04-18 11:27 PM
    There is no reason to think the phone won't boot properly, as no connection with the servers is required upon boot. You can turn off the radios and test this for yourself.

If the BBID validation server isn't available, then things get dicey if you ever have to restore or wipe the phone because you won't be able to validate your identity.

I think now you are catching on to my concern. It took a few posts but we are here all together now on the comfy couch.
    10-04-18 11:48 PM
    A dollar or two. Unless you're set up to reclaim that stuff in bulk, there's little point.
    Ah, so not that much. I was just hinting though at what has been put into it and and configured to work. From the radios to the camera. As I see it with the software included they are still pretty good environments. Still great for pirating... Im not saying or getting into their usability/worth to consumers.

Posted via CB10
    10-05-18 01:29 AM
    I think now you are catching on to my concern. It took a few posts but we are here all together now on the comfy couch.
    LOL. There's another extensive thread about these issues, which I can't link to at the moment, but it's "What happens after December 2019" or something like that.

10-05-18 07:29 AM
    LOL. There's another extensive thread about these issues, which I can't link to at the moment, but it's "What happens after December 2019" or something like that.

....with the same end result; no one knows nor is there likely to be any information until 2019.

Posted via CB10 / AT&T /Z10 STL100-3 /10.3.3.3216
    10-05-18 10:57 AM
    ....with the same end result; no one knows nor is there likely to be any information until 2019.

Posted via CB10 / AT&T /Z10 STL100-3 /10.3.3.3216
    That thread has considerably more technical details, including testing of BB10 an BlackBerry Link behavior without access to servers. We probably know 90% of everything we need to know at this time. The only outstanding question, as far as I'm concerned, is whether BBID authentication will continue. Without it, it will not be possible to back up or recover BB10 apps from BlackBerry World. With it, the only way to back up and recover those apps will be with BlackBerry Link.

10-05-18 11:08 AM
    I do think there was a very limited number of BlackBerry Passports that were produced, this was a device that was launched with the goal of NOT writing off unsold inventory.

The device sold reasonably well for a BlackBerry in 2014, 2015 and a few remaining devices in 2016 but it was not a volume phone.

I do think the value of them comes from the demand from BlackBerry 10 loyalist such as myself and other members of CB and the limited number of phones available for resale in the used market.

I see BlackBerry devices here in Calgary, Canada that are reasonable old, say Bold 9900's, Q10's and such and they are still fetching in the area of $80-100 used. I don't think too many people are dropping $100 on a 2011 Android device.

The Passport is getting harder and harder to find locally I think for a lot of us users and that is reflected in the price.

They are amazing devices in so many regards and still excel in so many areas of mobile communications for myself. I love the screen, the look, the speakers and the keyboard on my SE Passport. It doesn't have the app support but I do think I will be reasonably able to keep this device until perhaps 2020 or perhaps the K3 is launched, I am looking at a solid upgrade in terms of hardware and I don't think the K2 does it in some ways for me.......yet.

Posted via CB10
    I think you guys sometimes make up or assume things to make Chen's performance look better.

We don't know anything about the parts commitments on the Passports, do we? And the parts are not interchangeable for the most part. It's a standalone phone. They released it long after Chen came on board. It was already in development but did they really have to release it if they knew they were giving up?

I think not.

Posted via CB10
    10-05-18 05:20 PM
    I think you guys sometimes make up or assume things to make Chen's performance look better.

We don't know anything about the parts commitments on the Passports, do we? And the parts are not interchangeable for the most part. It's a standalone phone. They released it long after Chen came on board. It was already in development but did they really have to release it if they knew they were giving up?

I think not.

Posted via CB10
    Has it gotten to point now where the few remaining BB10 supporters are turning on each other? LOL

I’m really not sure there’s anything in the post you replied to inferring anything other than basic possibility for Passport holding a higher current resale price than Q10 or Classic.

Remember, stick together, for safety...
    Leyra B10 likes this.
    10-05-18 05:35 PM

I think not.

Posted via CB10

I'm not sure where I had made any reference to parts commitments but the Passport was produced on a limited production run.

It was the second device launched under John Chen, after the Z3. The device sold out its full initial inventory in the first weekend or so, it was 200 K units produced.

On the earnings call afterwards John Chen talked about how their production turnaround time for devices was now 4-6 weeks and that's when the stock was going to be replinished. BlackBerry tried to minimize inventory losses, which was smart since the Passport was a unique device no doubt. It was under development under Heins but Chen didn't "kill it" like he said, he thought it was unique.

I do think that turning around the hardware division was a little harder than Chen thought it would be, when he first came on board BlackBerry I believe had 40+ million existing users around the globe. Every single quarter the user base erroded and hardware lost less and less money but was still a money loser.

If he could have turned around hardware, it would be a slightly different story but as of today, all we have is BlackBerry Mobile Android devices which I guess isn't so bad.

Posted via CB10
    10-05-18 07:40 PM
    Has it gotten to point now where the few remaining BB10 supporters are turning on each other? LOL

I’m really not sure there’s anything in the post you replied to inferring anything other than basic possibility for Passport holding a higher current resale price than Q10 or Classic.

Remember, stick together, for safety...

BlackBerry 10 users love each other!! We are a rare and very strange breed to be honest. It's almost like reality doesn't hit us in some ways. Crackberry is littered with people like me trying to get BlackBerry 10 to do things in 2018 that it couldn't even do in 2013 when it was launched and a fresh OS.

I love BlackBerry 10 and only use it for basic things like sms, email, calls and light web surfing. For that, it's an excellent device with very limited support.

This whole experiment in some ways reminds me of the crazy from the late 90's and 2000's were people were spending tens and thousands of dollars trying to get a Honda Civic to go fast. A 1 liter engine and trying to get it to put out 300 hp! I was one of them! Now I just think why didn't I just buy a fast car like I have now! Lol

Posted via CB10
    10-05-18 07:48 PM
    Curves, maybe I misunderstood.

Oh, do I remember that limited production run. I was angry. BB had great media buzz about the Passport and then he didn't have nearly enough to sell. It took forever to make more. By that time the buzz was gone and he wouldn't spend a dime advertising.

Posted via CB10
    10-05-18 07:50 PM

Oh, do I remember that limited production run. I was angry. BB had great media buzz about the Passport and then he didn't have nearly enough to sell. It took forever to make more. By that time the buzz was gone and he wouldn't spend a dime advertising.

Posted via CB10

I hear you! You just described every single launch since then. It's the same crap every launch and every year.

The few of us who still want them need to jump through hoops in order to give them sales.

BlackBerry Mobile opening up "showrooms" in NY for launches. To do what? See a phone the BlackBerry fans want? Start selling these devices

Frustrating like no other for a fan, a BlackBerry user and a BlackBerry shareholder.

Posted via CB10
    10-05-18 07:56 PM

Posted via CB10
    See, even I’m playing nicely. WWCD??
    10-05-18 08:26 PM
66 123