Hey everyone

Long time reader, first time post

As I await to receive shipping notification of my Blackberry Passport from either Amazon or Digital River, I am looking to get a nano SIM card.

I am currently using a Google Galaxy Nexus with a SIM card from Straight Talk. I have the unlimited everything plan for $45/month. I called Straight Talk today, and they told me that a Straight Talk SIM card would not work with the Blackberry Passport...

So what do I do from here?

I know people use SIM cards from both T-Mobile and AT&T here in the US, but I am not sure how to proceed that route. Do I start a new plan with either TMO or AT&T? Do either of those companies offer a comparable plan to the one I have (Unlimited everything for $45/month)? Also, I like no having a contract with Straight Talk. Do TMO or AT&T have similar non-contract phones?

Thanks in advance!
    10-06-14 10:38 PM
    I don't see why a Passport on Straight Talk won't work. People use Z10s, Z30s, etc. with Straight Talk's TMO SIM cards without any problems, but do have some issues with the AT&T cards, issues mostly having to do with MMS not working and data network not being changeable (which is somewhat resolvable.) You might have to buy a new nano SIM though.

The other two carriers you mention do have non-contract plans--both prepaid and postpaid. Nobody has unlimited everything for $45 (and technically, ST doesn't either--high speed data limit is 3GB,) but in terms of value, TMO probably comes the close, while AT&T generally has the superior nationwide network.
    10-07-14 12:07 AM
    Thanks for your reply!

With straight talk I have been using an AT&T SIM card sent to me by them.

I have heard of companies such as boost Mobile and mobile pcs. Are these companies any good or comparable to Straight Talk?

I suppose I'll also have to check with an AT&T and T Mobile store to get a SIM card and ask them about their non contact pre paid plans.

Thanks again!

Posted via CrackBerry App
    10-07-14 08:52 AM
    Thanks for your reply!

With straight talk I have been using an AT&T SIM card sent to me by them.

I have heard of companies such as boost Mobile and mobile pcs. Are these companies any good or comparable to Straight Talk?

I suppose I'll also have to check with an AT&T and T Mobile store to get a SIM card and ask them about their non contact pre paid plans.

Thanks again!

Dont bother changing carriers... I have ATT and the passport works fine (LTE and everything). Take a pair of scissors, print out the template and cut away. Took me a whole 2min to cut my sim - you dont have to be afraid or worried, its super simple and everything will work.
    10-07-14 08:58 AM
    Dont bother changing carriers... I have ATT and the passport works fine (LTE and everything). Take a pair of scissors, print out the template and cut away. Took me a whole 2min to cut my sim - you dont have to be afraid or worried, its super simple and everything will work.
    So even though the SIM card that uses AT&T towers sent to me by Straight Talk is set up and approved to be used on my galaxy nexus, I can cut the SIM and just insert it into my passport? I don't have to change any settings on the passport or call Straight Talk to have them activate it or anything like that?

10-07-14 09:09 AM
    Boost Mobile won't work. I don't know what Mobile PCS is, but if they are a CDMA carrier, won't work either.

OP, try Straight Talk first. Get a nano SIM from them and try it in the Passport. If it works (as it should) then great. If it doesn't, just use it in your Nexus phone for the rest of the month and then decide it you want to stay with ST or go with AT&T/TMO. We'll still be here to help you figure it out.
    10-07-14 09:12 AM
    Boost Mobile won't work. I don't know what Mobile PCS is, but if they are a CDMA carrier, won't work either.

OP, try Straight Talk first. Get a nano SIM from them and try it in the Passport. If it works (as it should) then great. If it doesn't, just use it in your Nexus phone for the rest of the month and then decide it you want to stay with ST or go with AT&T/TMO. We'll still be here to help you figure it out.
    Thanks.

I'll call Straight Talk again and request a nano SIM that uses AT&T towers. Hopefully they won't put up a fuss. I have no idea when I'll be getting my passport, I just wanted to have everything set up so I can start using it from day one without delay

10-07-14 10:01 AM