09-07-15 09:43 PM
106 123 ...
tools
    Just a question for you guys.

I recently got an iphone 6 plus. Absolutely loved it until I ran into the passport at a local retailer. Now I've decided to sell off my 6 plus for this sexy beast.

Now the question is, I'm selling my 6 plus for 800 Canadian. I have the chance to buy an old black passport for 350 in new condition that's a few months old. The silver edition after tax would cost me about 730$. What would you guys suggest between the two. It's a pretty big price difference yes, but what would be my best choice overall. I love the look of both phones, but with all those design issues I've been hearing I've leaned towards the silver edition but back to the black considering the price difference. I'm completely confused and need help! Please, just want honest opinions. I also hear that the passports are only warrantied from the original buyer.Oh and Glad to be apart of the community!
    08-05-15 02:05 PM
    well they say the Passports are identical so whatever floats your boat, I guess.
    divakar likes this.
    08-05-15 03:08 PM
    Read the latest info! The silver pp is not the same as the original

Blackberry Passport running 10.3.2.2339
    farmwersteve likes this.
    08-05-15 03:12 PM
    Read the latest info! The silver pp is not the same as the original

Blackberry Passport running 10.3.2.2339
    O yeah what's different besides the case? Same camera same cpu/gpu same screen they did say something about the keyboard being revised but other then that what's different

Posted via CB10
    andy957 likes this.
    08-05-15 03:17 PM
    I've had zero issues with the build on my black passport, but I'm assumming it was built fairly recently (wish I knew how to check that). Using a case I think that's a factor as well, since it can add some bulk to an already wide device. As I prefer the aesthetic and plastic of the black, the silver isn't of interest to me. For your circumstance, if the black is available to you in person, then yes, that's value as you can vet the device. To allay any issues caused by a previous owner I always buy new and try for the later builds (versus first production batch). The promise of extra strength on the silver (especially if you intend to use it without a cover) is a major benefit to the back pocket wearer.

 Black Passport via CB10
    08-05-15 03:52 PM
    without taking money into account, I would jump at the silver. I have the original from 2nd week, and only issue i have are the keys can be difficult to press at times. I have had no issue with the build quality, but man I would prefer a smoother time pressing the keys.

Now is this a problem worth $380 to fix? That's up to you to figure out
    08-05-15 04:14 PM
    I'd go for the silver if I were in your shoes.

RedBerry Passport /10.3.2.2339 / Telus
    ptpete likes this.
    08-05-15 04:25 PM
    I've had zero issues with the build on my black passport, but I'm assumming it was built fairly recently (wish I knew how to check that). Using a case I think that's a factor as well, since it can add some bulk to an already wide device. As I prefer the aesthetic and plastic of the black, the silver isn't of interest to me. For your circumstance, if the black is available to you in person, then yes, that's value as you can vet the device. To allay any issues caused by a previous owner I always buy new and try for the later builds (versus first production batch). The promise of extra strength on the silver (especially if you intend to use it without a cover) is a major benefit to the back pocket wearer.

 Black Passport via CB10
    For production date, check the side of the box. It's written there in the format 010215 near where it says "made in mexico"
    08-05-15 04:34 PM
    There are some minor changes in Silver Passport but not 400CAN worth. The internal frame has been strengthened so if you are going to put the Passport into your pockets that would be a plus. As part of the frame redesign they improved antenna reception: could be a big deal if you are in a fringe reception area.
    08-05-15 04:48 PM
    Remember that Silver accessories are far less available right now.

Posted via CB10 on Passport
    08-05-15 05:52 PM
  11. world traveler and former ceo's Avatar
    Go with the Silver Edition!!

Posted via CB10
    ptpete and Skyforever like this.
    08-05-15 06:07 PM
    Go with the original, 400CAN is a lot more to pay, double for what's essentially the same device, common sense would mean the original will be just as good ,worst case something happens, buy the silver a few months down the road, it will end up costing you that extra 400 you would have spent now.

That 400 might also go towards a newer device you might be interested in, i.e. slider, whereas your original passport will still retain a salvage value near or at the 350 you spent.

Posted via CB10
    08-05-15 06:54 PM
    I love the passport design and need it specifically for messaging, emails and web surfing.

Is it true the signal is better on the silver edition, both wifi and cellular?

Also I won't be putting a case on it, just a screen protector and it'll be in my front pocket the whole time. Which one would take the better beating incase in the long run? I am trying to make this a longer lasting phone, no other phone intrigues me.

I've been an ios customer for years, so would the aluminum fit on the silver be better in those regards or?

I'm worried that the older one may end up getting problems, it was bought by the original owner in jan 2015. Should zi worry much about those design flaws people talk about?
    08-05-15 07:22 PM
    Original.

Posted via Passport - 10.3.2.2339 
    08-05-15 07:24 PM
    There are some minor changes in Silver Passport but not 400CAN worth.
    This isn't an apt description; the comparison in price is a used original Passport vs a new silver edition Passport.

The $400CDN is not just because it's the newer silver edition, but also because it's brand new and unused.

Posted via CB10
    bigjman and jackytin like this.
    08-05-15 07:25 PM
    Original, the slightly bigger chin cannot justify the price difference. Welcome to the passport community, btw.

Posted via CB10
    08-05-15 07:27 PM
    OP, a few things you should consider.

Silver cons:
    Pricier

Silver pros:
    Better build quality
    New and unused
    The redesign is better in various ways
    Full warranty

I think the list speaks for itself, but if price is really an issue you should just wait a few months for the silver edition to drop in price a bit before making the jump. Your iPhone 6 plus will retain most of it's value easily as long as you keep it in pristine condition.

Posted via CB10
    08-05-15 07:34 PM
    This isn't an apt description; the comparison in price is a used original Passport vs a new silver edition Passport.

The $400CDN is not just because it's the newer silver edition, but also because it's brand new and unused.

Posted via CB10
    This is in reference to the OPs listed options as the price of a used original and new Silver will vary from where you are buying . I think it that was clear.
    08-05-15 07:35 PM
    Unless present circumstances dictate otherwise, you have already committed a certain amount of cash for a mobile device, invest in the Silver Passport.
    08-05-15 07:40 PM
    I don't mind spending the cash if it's worth it. I guess that's what I'm trying to figure out, any more opinions are not only helpful but very appreciated
    08-05-15 09:31 PM
    I don't mind spending the cash if it's worth it. I guess that's what I'm trying to figure out, any more opinions are not only helpful but very appreciated
    Look closely, this is Chen's Passport.
    08-05-15 11:25 PM
    The new glue dribbled gray color so someone said to make it gray to hide that...

Posted via CB10
    08-05-15 11:41 PM
    If I were u I would get a new silver one. I have the Original PP. It is sturdy and I have had no issues. I love it. It is so sturdy, I bought cases and the whatnot for it but don't use them. I do use the cradle and love that. But I think the silver one is has some nice design improvements so it is probably better. I may actually ditch my original for the silver.
    JanuarJaguar likes this.
    08-06-15 12:20 AM
    Go for Silver. They would have silently resolved any issue found with the original Black one.

Posted via CB10
    08-06-15 02:26 AM
    Go for the silver maybe less bug

Posted via CB10
    08-06-15 03:45 AM
106 123 ...