Hi Everyone,

I've been using my Blackberry Passport Silver edition for a while now and I noted that on the left hand side of the device, there is a tiny gap between the screen and the metal housing. It's hard to see, but I can notice the difference when compared to the right hand side.

I first noticed this issue when dust accumulated on the right side of the screen, and somehow I was able to slide a peice of scotch tape between the housing and the screen all the way up and down the side (to get the dust out). The left hand side seems to be tighter as I can't get the tape under the housing.

I also noted that the metal case appears to bulge out about 1mm from the keyboard so it isn't flush. At least more so than the right side. Perhaps accounts for gap?

Does anyone else experience this? Is this normal build tolorances? From pictures on the internet, it seems like this may be normal, but then again, some shots look like they have housing more flush than mine. And some look like they have it reversed (Where the left side is more flush than the right).

Any suggestions?

Blackberry Passport Silver Edition: Screen / Housing defect?-bbpse.jpg
    12-08-15 02:00 PM
    Yeah, not much you can really do. This is where the "Screen" "fits into" the keyboard section of the phone.

Everyone will have this "gap". It may just be less or more than you currently have. To try prevent any dust getting inside, maybe invest in a case? Some sort of pocket pouch?

You could always get a blow torch and...lol no I'm kidding. Don't do that lol

A Berry A Day Keeps The Apple Away
    12-08-15 02:23 PM
    Got the exact same 'issue'.. not sure if you can do anything to fix it...

Posted via my awesome BlackBerry Passport Silver Edition 
    12-08-15 02:32 PM
    Hey Matty. Just to be clear, the photo is just indicating where the "seam" starts from the bottom of the phone to the top. As I mentioned, it's small, but large enough that you can slide something super thin (tape) between it up and down the case. I do understand that where the keyboard meets the screen, there might be some transitional differences, but the "seam" gap is what concerns me the most. But if this is just normal manufacturing, I guess I won't worry about it.

I suppose given the cost of the device, I just assumed that it would seamless to some degree? :-) Does anyone else have a lesser or greater "seam" on their device?

EDIT: Hi Erik_1991! I guess your "seam" gap is as large as mine? How long have you owned your device? Given that tape can slide between the housing and the screen, have you noticed any dust getting under the screen? Or is the screen actually enclosed in some way so dust can't get under the digitizer (which would be anoying!)?
    12-08-15 02:46 PM
    Mine is definitely not like that

#qwerty #glassweave #darkhorse
    12-08-15 03:03 PM
    Mine is definitely not like that
    I see. Mind posting close up pictures of how your device looks like? I'm curious to see how much variance there is.
    12-08-15 03:56 PM
    Guys I had the same problem on my SE - unfortunately I don't have the images handy but my issue was worse. There was a gap difference on the left side - more noticeable at the top of the left side (sliding paper wouldn't fit on right but would on left) . And on the right, there was a slight "lip" from the metal that you would feel swiping your hand across it (like the screen was lower into the device on that side).

But the real issue that caused me to return it was the screen was off kilter by a noticeable amount. The right side of the screen was lower from the top edge than left which drove me nuts. On a square phone it's very noticeable. Same problem on a black very I bought after. (I switched to the black from SE as I liked the feel and look better).

Posted via CB10
    12-08-15 04:34 PM
    Hi Darkfibre80. Thanks for the feedback. I'm sorry to hear you had such problems. It's a shame considering the device is otherwise fantastic. I guess I should consider myself lucky that my issue is relatively only minor.

For your new phone, you mentioned that you still have "seam" gap issues? Or only kilter issues? I assume the issue was not as bad, which is why your still sticking with it?
    12-08-15 05:14 PM
    I haven't noticed on mine? I see the gap where the Frame starts but no gap per se.

Also I immediately slipped on a seidio case, I use the combo as well and clip to my waist and must confess it really fits perfectly covers the edges and hardly adds any bulk at all and really provides a nice rigid protection too
    Blackberry Passport Silver Edition: Screen / Housing defect?-img_20151130_094150.jpg

Passport SQW100-4 10.3.2.2474
    12-08-15 07:10 PM
    I haven't noticed on mine? I see the gap where the Frame starts but no gap per se.

Also I immediately slipped on a seidio case, I use the combo as well and clip to my waist and must confess it really fits perfectly covers the edges and hardly adds any bulk at all and really provides a nice rigid protection too
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20151130_094150.jpg 
Views:	1406 
Size:	65.8 KB 
ID:	383636

Ah, that looks nice! And yes, you won't really notice any issues unless you remove the case protector to see. Specifically, how "tight" the screen is to the edges of the case or whatnot. The easiest way to test is to take a thin piece of paper and see if it will slide into the left edge of your screen and the housing. Some people say they don't have this issue, but some say they do.

Since your phone is new, I'd be interested to hear the result!

PS: I'm using the official Blackberry leather case myself.
    12-08-15 07:58 PM
    Hey everyone,

I just thought I should mention, I talked with people from the Blackberry store regarding this problem and asked if it was a real issue, or within manufacturing tolerances. After providing pictures and being put on hold for a while, they got back to me saying that they would recommend I send the device in for replacement. So we'll get to see if the replacement is any better or not.

If anyone else just purchased a device and is in the same boat, I suggest to give it a try and see. I assume depending on the severity of it, you might qualify for a replacement too.
    12-09-15 03:39 PM
    Not an issue at all. It's the way it is designed and built. The keyboard frets and the chin are one plastic piece and that's where it stops and the metal frame begins. Mine is exactly like that as are all SE Passports.

Posted via CB10
    12-09-15 11:11 PM
    I see. Mind posting close up pictures of how your device looks like? I'm curious to see how much variance there is.
    Sure, I will when I get a chance after getting home.

12-10-15 10:26 PM
    I wish i was this board to death.
    12-11-15 09:09 AM
    I wish i was this board to death.
    The slight doesn't carry the same weight unless it's correctly spelled, just saying.

12-12-15 07:33 AM
    Hi Darkfibre80. Thanks for the feedback. I'm sorry to hear you had such problems. It's a shame considering the device is otherwise fantastic. I guess I should consider myself lucky that my issue is relatively only minor.

For your new phone, you mentioned that you still have "seam" gap issues? Or only kilter issues? I assume the issue was not as bad, which is why your still sticking with it?
    The SE had a gap AND it was off kilter (not square with frame). I got a second black and returned the SE and first black. NY new black is fine.

Posted via CB10
    12-13-15 11:12 AM
    Well I just got my second SE today (after returning the first one due to issues with the screen lifting in the upper right) and this new one seems to have similar issues as to what the OP said. The left side of the plastic keyboard cover is not as flush with the edge as the right side is.
    Blackberry Passport Silver Edition: Screen / Housing defect?-img_20160120_225112.jpg

When viewed straight on from the side, the top end of the plastic keyboard cover doesn't sit flat against the metal frame.
    Blackberry Passport Silver Edition: Screen / Housing defect?-img_20160120_225307.jpg

I don't think there's much I can do for these issues, unfortunately.

Posted via CB10
    01-20-16 11:54 PM
    Well I just got my second SE today (after returning the first one due to issues with the screen lifting in the upper right) and this new one seems to have similar issues as to what the OP said. The left side of the plastic keyboard cover is not as flush with the edge as the right side is.

Name:	IMG_20160120_225112.jpg 
Views:	149 
Size:	89.9 KB 
ID:	388471

When viewed straight on from the side, the top end of the plastic keyboard cover doesn't sit flat against the metal frame.

Name:	IMG_20160120_225307.jpg 
Views:	149 
Size:	47.6 KB 
ID:	388472

I don't think there's much I can do for these issues, unfortunately.

Posted via CB10
    I think that's the way SE are designed and not an issue. My SE is exactly like that.

Posted via CB10
    01-21-16 04:59 AM
    Hello check the build date it's on the box of your Passport SE. I purchased direct from ShopBlackBerry this past December. Build date was end of august 2015. The device is a beauty with no issues!

Posted via Passport SE Maximus Productivity
    01-21-16 05:00 AM
    My SE box actually says October 20 and it still is having these issues :/

Posted via CB10
    SilverSfr likes this.
    01-21-16 07:49 AM
    I have a simple self repair which worked for me and does not void the warranty.

Take a length of clear wide packing tape and carefully place it across the entire screen in line with where the screen lift is located. Very firmly pull the ends of the tape across the sides and around the back of the device so the screen is pulled back in place. Smooth any bubbles out with a credit card or something like that.

Use the device as normal. You can leave it like that indefinitely but you will find you can remove the tape after a few weeks and the screen will stay in place. Good as new with no super glue.

Posted via CB10
    01-22-16 04:11 PM