05-12-16 04:26 PM
28 12
tools
    Hey everyone,

I've been using my BlackBerry Passport for a few weeks, and every once in a while I don't have ANY Internet even when the 4G icon is showing and yes, I have full bars.

When I send a WhatsApp it keeps showing the clock icon and when I go to the browser I select a site and it immediately shows "No Internet connection". Any thoughts?

"Got here with my Diplomatic Passport"
    09-24-15 11:02 AM
    If you have WiFi turned on, that is what the phone will search with first. I have had 4 bars and real slow Internet because the phone is using the WiFi at my work which is slightly better than dial-up, but not much. Turn off WiFi and then try it.

If your WiFi isn't turned on, and you still can't send, try a reboot. Every once in a while my phone will show four bars yet because I am in a high cell use area, it doesn't really tell me how poor the connection is.

Posted via CB10
    09-24-15 11:39 AM
  3. Steve
    It defo has 4G but make sure the bands it covers include the one your network uses.
    09-24-15 05:24 PM
    It's covered, I just have no connection. Not bad, not slow. Zero connection browser won't load or nothing it immediately goes to "no Internet connection". And yeah is it normal to reboot to get the phone working?

09-24-15 05:44 PM
    What is happening is not normal. You may have a defective phone. Take it back to where you got it and ask for a replacement.

Posted via CB10
    09-25-15 12:39 PM
    It's covered, I just have no connection. Not bad, not slow. Zero connection browser won't load or nothing it immediately goes to "no Internet connection". And yeah is it normal to reboot to get the phone working?

I wonder if you have to set or update the APN. You may need to go to your carrier site or store to get the setting details. . The setting is settings>>=network>>=mobile network, APN is the gear on the bottom with mine. Touching it gets a screen with details

Posted on my Passport to the future
    09-25-15 02:49 PM
    I wonder if you have to set or update the APN. You may need to go to your carrier site or store to get the setting details. . The setting is settings>>=network>>=mobile network, APN is the gear on the bottom with mine. Touching it gets a screen with details

Posted on my Passport to the future
    I don't know. I just got no messages at all, and when I got called or called someone it didn't rang. Went straight to voice mail, also no text messages arrived. After a reboot I got all the texts and the 'missed calls' text messages. Is this the Passports fault? Or is it my Sim card perhaps?

09-25-15 05:16 PM
    What is happening is not normal. You may have a defective phone. Take it back to where you got it and ask for a replacement.

Posted via CB10
    I'll definitely do this!

09-25-15 05:32 PM
    Go into Settings->Networks and Connections->Mobile Network.

At the bottom where it says "Available Networks", does it say "4G - Voice/Data"? If it only says "4G - Voice" that means the data plan needs to be setup by your carrier. I had to call AT&T and give them information about my phone, such as the IMEI number and other numbers. They finally fixed it and activated my Internet data.
    09-25-15 06:26 PM
    Go into Settings->Networks and Connections->Mobile Network.

At the bottom where it says "Available Networks", does it say "4G - Voice/Data"? If it only says "4G - Voice" that means the data plan needs to be setup by your carrier. I had to call AT&T and give them information about my phone, such as the IMEI number and other numbers. They finally fixed it and activated my Internet data.
    I think it says Voice only. How do I fix this? Call my provider.

Edit: also, why didn't I get any text messages or could calls come through?

09-25-15 08:15 PM
    I had this yesterday said 4g but voice only. T-mobile NL
    Disabling and enabling data seemed to fix it.

Posted via CB10
    09-25-15 08:39 PM
    I think it says Voice only. How do I fix this? Call my provider.

Edit: also, why didn't I get any text messages or could calls come through?

When I first got my Passport phone I was able to send and receive text messages, but I was unable to embed images in my text messages, which really puzzled me. WiFi worked, but once I stepped outside the WiFi zone I would get a "No Connection" message (or words similar). I checked my Available Networks section and it only said "4G - Voice". To me, I assumed that meant my data plan was not properly configured.

I called AT&T and told them about my lack of Internet. Apparently it was related to the fact that I moved my SIM card from one unlocked phone to another. AT&T needed to update numbers in their system (such as IMEI and other numbers). I then had to reboot my phone and suddenly it was fixed! I now have "4G - Voice/Data"!

In short, yes, I think you need to call your provider and explain your inability to get an Internet connection. They can probably fix it. Good luck!
    09-25-15 09:17 PM
    Hey I just called my provider, and they say that it has the same issue as the Z10 that it has an issue switching from 3G back to 4G and that I have to reboot or start and end 'Airplane mode' in order to get 4G picked up again.
    Is this true or is this guy just talking crap?
    09-26-15 08:33 AM
    Hey I just called my provider, and they say that it has the same issue as the Z10 that it has an issue switching from 3G back to 4G and that I have to reboot or start and end 'Airplane mode' in order to get 4G picked up again.
    Is this true or is this guy just talking crap?
    If Airplane Mode is turned on, this will disable ALL of your phone's "radio" services, specifically voice and data. I think it even disables WiFi. So ya, make sure that Airplane Mode is turned OFF if you want to use voice or data services.

As for me, for a long time, I owned an old unlocked BlackBerry Bold 9000 with 3G voice and data. When I upgraded to an unlocked BlackBerry Passport with 4G I was only able to send text messages; my Internet service (i.e "data") did not work. I had to call AT&T and give them information about my phone. They had to flip some switches on their end. Then they asked me to reboot my phone. This solved my Internet connection problem.

Did they ask you for your IMEI number or your phone model, etc? The AT&T agent stayed on the phone with me until my problem was fixed. I'm guessing that your provider can fix your problem. I dunno if this a defect or not.
    09-26-15 09:24 AM
    My Internet DOES work it just stops on occasion. The help desk person said I need to turn ON airplane mode and then turn it OFF to get 4G working and he also claimed this is a known bug which is also known on the Z10.

09-26-15 09:26 AM
    My Internet DOES work it just stops on occasion. The help desk person said I need to turn ON airplane mode and then turn it OFF to get 4G working and he also claimed this is a known bug which is also known on the Z10.
    Did you enter any WiFi passwords into your phone? It's possible that your phone is actually giving you Internet from a WiFi signal, and NOT your actual phone carrier.

I've discovered that the BlackBerry Passport will first try to connect with a WiFi signal. If your phone cannot find a WiFi signal within range, it will next try to connect with your cell phone provider's network connection. So, if you have no Internet connection at all, this probably means your phone is not picking up WiFi or your provider's 4G network.
    09-26-15 09:32 AM
    He said it was a bug on the Z10?? Aren't you now using the Passport SE? I don't see how a bug on the Z10 can transfer over to the Passport.
    09-26-15 09:34 AM
    He said it was a bug on the Z10?? Aren't you now using the Passport SE? I don't see how a bug on the Z10 can transfer over to the Passport.
    Maybe from a software update or something

09-26-15 09:51 AM
    Hmmmm, I honestly don't know why your Internet occasionally works. Is it possible that your provider's cell phone towers or satellites sometimes experience technical difficulties?

Also, as I explained earlier, did you check in Settings->Networks and Connections->Mobile Network, and look at "Available Networks" at the bottom? Does it still say "4G Voice"??? It should say "4G Voice/Data". I know for sure this was the root of my problem.
    09-26-15 09:59 AM
    Hmmmm, I honestly don't know why your Internet occasionally works. Is it possible that your provider's cell phone towers or satellites sometimes experience technical difficulties?

Also, as I explained earlier, did you check in Settings->Networks and Connections->Mobile Network, and look at "Available Networks" at the bottom? Does it still say "4G Voice"??? It should say "4G Voice/Data". I know for sure this was the root of my problem.
    It says Voice only, and when I either reboot or turn on airplane mode and turn off it works again.

09-26-15 10:03 AM
    It says Voice only, and when I either reboot or turn on airplane mode and turn off it works again.
    During the time that your Internet is working, can you verify and see if it shows "4G Voice/Data"? I'm not really sure why your phone would turn off the data once in a while.

My last suggestion is that you go your cell phone provider's store and don't leave until the problem is fixed, even if that means getting a replacement phone.

Good luck!
    09-26-15 10:19 AM
    Problem is I got the phone somewhere else. I'll call them today and ask for a replacement one.

Edit: I just called, due to the 8 workday return policy (which for me is 10 days) I gotta send it in for repair. I was hoping to get a new one straight up. Does anyone got a phone number from BlackBerry tech support I could call?
    Last edited by BijnaNotHuman; 09-26-15 at 11:11 AM.
    09-26-15 10:55 AM
    Hi everyone, I've got my phone back from repairs. They've exchanged the device but I still got the same problem... I don't understand any of it. It's a different device, a returned one but still... I'm seriously thinking about moving away from BlackBerry. This is bull****

05-09-16 08:30 AM
    Have you tried running BBVE and going into tests then choose a test you can test WIFI etc from there?

Posted via my magical Passport, keeping the dream alive Scotland Aye!
    05-09-16 09:10 AM
    I have, and they both work fine. My antenna just randomly decides to stop working

05-09-16 11:54 AM
28 12