Built for Business - Learn more about BlackBerry KEY2
    Hi, just wanted some opinions on something. I came across an affordable Passport SE, however, it has the AZERTY layout instead of QWERTY.

I know they sell QWERTY keyboard for the SE individually. I want to know, if I opened up the SE and change AZERTY for QWERTY would it still function properly?

Thanks for any replies.
    John Albert likes this.
    06-25-19 06:02 PM
    Ugh, I hate AZERTY so much (and I'm French lol)

I'm not even sure it would be a good idea because the "French" software version would still be there, so if you slap on a QWERTY, it might still give you an "A" if you press "Q" , and a "Z" if you press "W" .

Not worth it imo.

How cheap is this thing that you're willing to go through that trouble? Especially if you factor in the cost of the QWERTY keyboard that you'd buy separately?
    06-25-19 06:24 PM
    Hi, just wanted some opinions on something. I came across an affordable Passport SE, however, it has the AZERTY layout instead of QWERTY.

I know they sell QWERTY keyboard for the SE individually. I want to know, if I opened up the SE and change AZERTY for QWERTY would it still function properly?

Thanks for any replies.
    Considering that you can change a QWERTY for AZERTY and have it function properly I would assume so, yes.
    06-25-19 07:46 PM
    Ugh, I hate AZERTY so much (and I'm French lol)

I'm not even sure it would be a good idea because the "French" software version would still be there, so if you slap on a QWERTY, it might still give you an "A" if you press "Q" , and a "Z" if you press "W" .

Not worth it imo.

How cheap is this thing that you're willing to go through that trouble? Especially if you factor in the cost of the QWERTY keyboard that you'd buy separately?
    What?
    It doesn't matter what keyboard layout you have!
    OP can use azerty as qwerty (just need to remember where "Q" and "W" sits in case don't want to change keyboard)
    All in all if the price of phone + qwerty keyboard is reasonable and cheap go for it!

Send by PassPort Silver Edition
    06-29-19 06:03 AM
    What?
    It doesn't matter what keyboard layout you have!
    OP can use azerty as qwerty (just need to remember where "Q" and "W" sits in case don't want to change keyboard)
    All in all if the price of phone + qwerty keyboard is reasonable and cheap go for it!

I believe that boon is a perfectionist. Some people hold things together with duct tape. We're all somewhere along that range of acceptability. Personally I'd be more concerned with the "No SVC" issue probabilities than PKB look, but that's me.
    06-29-19 07:27 AM
    I believe that boon is a perfectionist. Some people hold things together with duct tape. We're all somewhere along that range of acceptability. Personally I'd be more concerned with the "No SVC" issue probabilities than PKB look, but that's me.
    Oh, ok!
    If we consider that idea he is right!
    I personally am a bit leaned towards holding with duct tape (guess habit of Linux took me there)

06-29-19 09:50 AM
    It's not even about being a perfectionist (even though I am when it comes to my PKB's) but simply that the French firmware that's in an AZERTY phone isn't going to magically know that a QWERTY has been slapped on there.

It's not worth it imo.
    06-29-19 09:44 PM
    You can change a setting in the software to make any keyboard type as if it was a QWERTY. I have a QWERTZ. When I got it I just made the switch in the software. Later, I bought a QWERTY keyboard.

Interestingly, even with the new keyboard, you have to make the change in the software after reinstalling the OS, because it reverts to the QWERTZ layout.

Blackberry Passport SE AZERTY switch to QWERTY-img_20190629_204724.jpg

Go to Settings > Language and Input > Input Languages. Select your enabled language (English, French, etc.).

After you select the language, a new selector will appear that will allow you to choose between layouts (mine has QWERTZ, QWERTY, and AZERTY). Choose the one you want.

See this post too: https://forums.crackberry.com/showthread.php?t=1001589&p=11407742&viewfull=1#pos t11407742

Sent from my Mi A1 using Forums v1.3.3.
    Last edited by Shuswap; 06-29-19 at 10:59 PM.
    06-29-19 10:43 PM
    It's not even about being a perfectionist (even though I am when it comes to my PKB's) but simply that the French firmware that's in an AZERTY phone isn't going to magically know that a QWERTY has been slapped on there.

It's not worth it imo.
    Really is it that hard to change input method from azerty to qwerty?
    I guess you haven't take time to explore passport completely!

06-30-19 06:12 AM
    Really is it that hard to change input method from azerty to qwerty?
    I guess you haven't take time to explore passport completely!

Maybe you're right, on the KEY devices, if it's a QWERTY, going into settings and changing the language to say French will not make the "Q" key input an "A" , it'll still function just like a QWERTY except the suggested words will be in French.

OP, sorry I might have been mistaken, apparently it should work
    06-30-19 07:04 AM