Because, as they have explained several times. While all those scores may be high on their own, the whole package may not be appealing. For example, a phone with high performance and high battery life which heats up if you jse it for a minute might score a 10 in those two areas and a 2 overall.
    Well the market will soon tell if the verge was wrong or right. Either way it was a very narrow minded review but everyone is entitled to their own opinion.

The rounding down reeks of favouritism though.

Posted via CB10
    chalx and Thunderbuck like this.
    09-26-14 04:42 PM
    "More times than not, the Verge score is based on the average of the subscores below. However, since this is a non-weighted average, we reserve the right to tweak the overall score if we feel it doesn't reflect our overall assessment and price of the product. Read more about how we test and rate products.''
    Do you even read bro?
    "Do you even read bro?"

Sure I do, 17 different languages even. I also comprehend a few languages too. What they said and did is quite clear. They measured and scored 8 different criteria, found it to be 7.3 and decided to include another magic metric that was a -2 out of ten to bring the score down to 6.2. That magical undocumented criteria is in fact the "We didn't like how it scored" criteria as I stated in my posts.

Furthermore, I looked at the first six reviews and the largest positive variance was +.3 and the largest negative was -.2. A far cry from the -1.1 they magically applied to the PassPort.

So since you dared to ask me "Do you even read bro?" it is only fair to ask you...

Can you even comprehend bro? Let me help you

Applying an undocumented metric to intentionally drive ones own rating scale down because one doesn't like the idea of something scoring high(er) is an automatic dis-qualifier. PERIOD.

It has been stated more times than I care to count "It is The Verge, what did you expect?".
    spikesolie likes this.
    09-26-14 04:57 PM
    Another positive review from Italy this time, HDBlog:
    09-27-14 09:19 AM
    Because, as they have explained several times. While all those scores may be high on their own, the whole package may not be appealing. For example, a phone with high performance and high battery life which heats up if you jse it for a minute might score a 10 in those two areas and a 2 overall.
    So why don't they open a "heating measurement " section if that's a huge criteria? Or does that only apply when they hate the phone?

Posted from zee flicking coolest smartphone evah!
    09-28-14 11:16 PM
    I'm not so sure tbh. What would benefit them most? Sure, the ability to read a mail without scanning backwards and forwards is practical, but far more practical is the ability to pick the damn thing up and just start using it. Some people don't want a phone with a high learning curve, and comments on people's intelligence won't change the fact that if it is too complicated, they will chose a simpler design and go elsewhere. Lets be honest, no one could say bb10 is straight forward, and this new keyboard only adds to the complications in use from what I can see of it.

I think people will want a phone they can pick up and use. I think they will probably want to watch media on it without unsightly black bars, and use apps from google's ecosystem. I don't think they want a phone that can't be used one handed, and I'm pretty sure no one wants a phone that is far too easy to drop. That's quite an indoctrination programme required there I'd say.

Lets just say i'm looking with hope and anticipation at the Classic release.
    Disagree about the learning curve. Yes, it's there, but while it's steep, it's very flat. My brother switched his iPhone to a Z10 (even without me recommending it) and after a bit of getting used to he masters all gestures just fine. same with another friend of mine. While one could argue this is anecdotal, it's not. If you'd know my brother and his relationship to anything tech, you'd agree that since even he is mastering and enjoying BB10, it simply can't be that hard at all. The only problem is simply that people are lazy and hate changes. So if someone today picks up a BB10 device, even if it's a tech reviewer, he will firstly criticize anything that deviates from the norm, which is the iPhone. And especially concerning The Verge review, he even criticized that the Passport takes square photos by default, although it's pretty clear he knows how easy it is to change that option. So why even mention it? Just to poke fun at the device and it's weirdness (weird = too non-iPhone-ish)....oh and then there is "people who don't watch YouTube that much", while statistics do prove that 4% of smartphone use on average is YouTube. And what videos even? A few minutes? A cat video? A trailer? I even see people don't bother with screen rotation, they just watch YT videos in portrait mode.....

Posted via CB10
    09-29-14 01:29 AM
    Released last week.
    09-29-14 03:36 AM
    ...I even see people don't bother with screen rotation, they just watch YT videos in portrait mode.....

Posted via CB10
    ^^^
    OMG THIS!

I do it all the time. If I am moving or the video is less than a couple minutes it usually stays in portrait.
    09-29-14 05:17 AM
    ^^^
    OMG THIS!

I do it all the time. If I am moving or the video is less than a couple minutes it usually stays in portrait.
    See? It's true for many people as far as I'm concerned and the Passport gives you a 16:9 landscape screen of the size between an iPhone 4 and iPhone 5 in portrait without rotating at all. So there's that.

Posted via CB10
    09-29-14 07:45 AM
    So if the reviews are positive mean they are honest while if the reviews are negative they are biased. Is that right? Actually, I think the Verge is the good one, it is true phones are supposed to be held with one hand not two.
    Obviously, this phone is not designed to be used with one hand, who said it was? They also criticize BB10 as unintuitive, but compared to what? Imagine if the iPhone was placed in your hand for the first time. The home button has so many different uses now that a newbie would be dumbfounded by it. I never use Android, I find it very hard to figure out when given to me.

Posted via CB10
    09-29-14 08:26 AM
    So if the reviews are positive mean they are honest while if the reviews are negative they are biased. Is that right?
    No, that's wrong. "Bias" means prejudice for or against something, without reference to all the relevant facts. The Verge review shows bias on a number of points. There are also reviews that point out negative aspects of the Passport without ignoring relevant information.

Actually, I think the Verge is the good one, it is true phones are supposed to be held with one hand not two.
    Is it? I think all would agree that phones should be able to be used with one hand for making phone calls, but nobody has said you can't do that with the Passport. Obviously you can. And nobody has said the Passport can't be held with one hand, since once again, it's the size of a passport, which anybody can hold in their hand.

But we're talking about smartphones here. Are smartphones in general "supposed to" be capable of being operated completely, i.e., all functions, with one hand? Please cite one tech reviewer who insists on this.

The Passport isn't for everybody, just as the Note 4 and the iPhone 6+ aren't for everybody, and for similar reasons. Lots of people prefer more compact devices. But to suggest that the Passport is problematic because "phones are supposed to be held with one hand not two" shows a rather strong -- what's the word I want? -- bias.
    Thunderbuck and spikesolie like this.
    09-29-14 08:42 AM
    Nice review from lesnumeriques.com in french, where they at least spend 7 days full time with the device before posting a review...makes it less biased.
    5 stars. cool.
    BroncoVAL likes this.
    10-01-14 05:38 AM
    And nice to see this title @bgr
    How to dump your iPhone or Android phone for the BlackBerry Passport?
    10-01-14 08:05 AM
162 ... 567