im a longtime android user and I love the passport. when the original Note came out ppl were ps'hawing it and putting it down, but four years later its selling stronger than ever, with the passport its will be the same. and I love the fact that it has android apps as well, suck on that apple
    agedly likes this.
    09-25-14 07:32 AM
    Pc Mag's review is both good and sad. He brags on many features, but no one told him how to turn on flash in the browser, and no one explained how to resize apps for the square screen, that was his biggest complaint.

BlackBerry Passport (Unlocked) Review & Rating | PCMag.com
    09-25-14 07:33 AM
    So where you say you agree if your used to something else, well I guess you agree for the most part then from what you are saying
    Sure.... if you're suggesting there's a curve if you're switching from an iPhone to it. just as there is switching from a iOS to Android; Android to Windows Phone or BBOS to iOS like I did previously.

But I do not believe it's really that hard to pick up compared to any other platform for a switcher

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by RubberChicken76; 09-25-14 at 11:29 AM.
    09-25-14 07:36 AM
    a lot of cars theses days are different.

Their on screen UI.

Gear selection, etc.

Have you ever driven a car that has the steering wheel on the opposite side of the one you are used to?

Driven a manual transmission when you are used to an automatic?

I haven't driven a manual transmission many years. I drove a NASCAR at 150mph a couple months ago. No issues.

I just drove a truck that has a manual transmission and it was right hand drive. No issues.

Sure things can be out of your comfort zone but learning new things can be easy if you want them to be.

Posted via CB10
    09-25-14 07:47 AM
    I'm an Apple fan myself BUT I think the Verge review was unfair... He could atleast backup is complaint of "THE PASSPORT JUST DOESN'T OFFER THE TOOLS I NEED TO GET MY WORK DONE" with what "tools" it's missing for him. I feel way more comfortable pounding out full length emails on my Q10 than I do on my iPhone.
    09-25-14 07:49 AM
    CNET France got it also with four stars and editor's choice smartphone for september
    BlackBerry Passport : le test - CNET France
    09-25-14 09:11 AM
    The verge review is full of crap, I fully expected them to knock everything and they didn't disappoint.

Posted via CB10
    Pretty much. I was expecting it to be crap but they surprised with their lack of knowledge and desire to bring up other features. Maybe a false sense of security when I thought the poll about smartphones went the way for the BlackBerry.passport.

Posted via CB10
    09-25-14 09:50 AM
    The verge review is a piece of garbage. I don't care if the they didn't like the phone. I'm still not sure if I like it myself. But bashing the OS is just pure BS.
    If the guy can't get around few simple gestures he should not be allowed to review mobile phones. If a reviewer doesn't understand how hub works and that you don't need to have all the messages mixed up, he should be reviewing vacuum cleaners perhaps. On/off and cable rewind buttons on all of them. No steep learning curve. What a joke of a review it was.
    tufcustomer and Spawn12 like this.
    09-25-14 09:52 AM
    I couldn't agree less. BB10 has a high barrier to entry with its gesture driven nature. Or did i miss the roaring success the first generation of phones have proven to be?

More powerful interface yes, and probably best out there. But intuitive? My god, no! The average person hasn't got a clue when faced with this. i once watched with amusement an team of sales assistants in the shop totally fail to explain to a customer how to make a phone call on a Z10. And btw, that's what counts - the average person. Call them stupid if you will, but they will make or break a platform. BlackBerry know this, which is why the introductions are now enforced on a fresh device. And they return to a tried and tested hardware config in the classic.

The passport will appeal to BlackBerry fans for sure. It may even appeal to a new audience of professional working people it is currently being pitched at. It is unlikely to hit its mark with the average person, and tbh I'd say the Verge's reaction (echoed also on WSJ, and many other reviewers) will be a popular one , and would only be dismissed at BlackBerry's peril.
    There is a learning curve to all OS's. I dont see it as being that unintuitive but its definitely not hard to learn!! The question is peoples willingness to learn or try something that is new and isnt the norm or a fad. I disagree with you! Cant possibly tell me that android is easier to use or understand then BB10. We are going to disagree with that my friend. IOS is a different story and is intuitive and easier to use. As far as those sale assistants failing to show how to make a phone call on a phone that has a phone icon like all other phones out there so its essentially the same way of making phone calls is not a sign of OS being hard to learn! I dont know what that is!! doesnt make sense to me honestly.
    09-25-14 09:57 AM
    I think i'm going to be saving my pennies for this phone. I'm a phone wh*re and have dabbled in IOS and android equally. I always wanted a keyboard phone with android but hated the slide out keyboards. And having to turn the phone on it's side to type was a chore. This is the perfect merge of android apps and a keyboard with a stable blackberry OS underneath.

I have a One Plus One now but I'm truly tempted.
    09-25-14 10:41 AM
    This is why there is such a separation between BlackBerry users and Apple users. The fact is if you were to take the brand off the BlackBerry you would see an entirely different view. I despise Apple as a brand but I don't sit there and try to imagine a way to knock the phone and say this or that is wrong. First of all I don't have the time or the need to do it and second of all there is lots of choice out there.

BlackBerry as a brand is smudged and it will take many years to fix it because for every good thing on a BlackBerry people will go to the extent of finding a pixel out of place. The amount of thought and design that went into the passport as I imagine was enormous and it's meant to stick out, be different, and change the way people look at what the mobile experience is. This is boasted by that it's towards productivity and making rather time consuming tasks ones that require minimal effort.

I could ramble on for hours but what I'm getting at is sometimes being different is something that will change how things are being done. And for BlackBerry being different is boasting a whole new level of productivity whether it wants to be accepted or not. Eventually you will see that these differences actually do make an impact on things are done(specifically the mobile phone market).

It only takes one idea to change the world.
    Posted via CB10
    09-25-14 11:16 AM
    i like the direction your thinking, but I have this concern. Where exactly on the meandering path of walking the fine line of gimmickry and innovation this is. Popcorn please, i'm settling down and watching with interest.
    09-25-14 11:41 AM
    There is a learning curve to all OS's. I dont see it as being that unintuitive but its definitely not hard to learn!!
    While you're absolutely right that there is a learning curve to all OS's, I have to say that not all OS's are intuitive. When I migrated from BBOS to BB10, it was a brutal learning curve. When I migrated to iOS, it was exceedingly easy and highly intuitive. I think the assumption that the vast majority of consumers will take the time to learn an unintuitive OS is what doomed BB10. Many long time BB users I know who were in the market for a new device tried BB10 and opted to either maintain their BBOS devices or migrate towards iOS or Android devices (the vast majority migrated to iOS).

I don't doubt that there is a segment of consumers that will have the patience and/or mindset to learn a new OS like BB10 but the vast majority will try it for an hour or two (if that) and give up. I tried it on both a Z10 and Q10 (both I bought out right without carrier subsidies) for several months and gave up.
    offyoutoddle and dikkr like this.
    09-25-14 11:42 AM
    THIS. thank you.
    While you're absolutely right that there is a learning curve to all OS's, I have to say that not all OS's are intuitive. When I migrated from BBOS to BB10, it was a brutal learning curve. When I migrated to iOS, it was exceedingly easy and highly intuitive. I think the assumption that the vast majority of consumers will take the time to learn an unintuitive OS is what doomed BB10. Many long time BB users I know who were in the market for a new device tried BB10 and opted to either maintain their BBOS devices or migrate towards iOS or Android devices (the vast majority migrated to iOS).

I don't doubt that there is a segment of consumers that will have the patience and/or mindset to learn a new OS like BB10 but the vast majority will try it for an hour or two (if that) and give up. I tried it on both a Z10 and Q10 (both I bought out right without carrier subsidies) for several months and gave up.
    09-25-14 11:44 AM
    I just go by user reviews which for the most part are very positive, America hates blackberry

Posted via CB10
    09-25-14 11:53 AM
    This is why there is such a separation between BlackBerry users and Apple users. The fact is if you were to take the brand off the BlackBerry you would see an entirely different view. I despise Apple as a brand but I don't sit there and try to imagine a way to knock the phone and say this or that is wrong. First of all I don't have the time or the need to do it and second of all there is lots of choice out there.

BlackBerry as a brand is smudged and it will take many years to fix it because for every good thing on a BlackBerry people will go to the extent of finding a pixel out of place.
    I think you're generally right. Apple has built up immense good will and even though every single misstep becomes a trending Twitter hashtag, becomes worldwide frontpage news and moves the Apple share price (today it's down 3%+), consumers are still queueing for the iPhone 6 and downloading iOS 8. Why? Because despite all the missteps (and we can all pull out a very long list from screwed up iOS updates to battery drain issues to Apple maps etc etc), Apple's marketing, communications and customer service has meant that more often than not, consumers, in huge, huge numbers, are willing to forgive and forget.

BBRY, on the other hand, likely has had fewer missteps but has absolutely zero customer goodwill because their marketing, communications and customer service has been pitiful.

One would think that it would be Apple that would have built up a reputation for being arrogant but from my personal experience, the arrogance from BBRY has far outstripped anything from Apple. I speak as a customer and not as a supplier or business partner.
    09-25-14 11:53 AM
    It's funny how we judge tech sites and their reviews these days. A site that agrees with our opinion of a device is fair and balanced, while a site that doesn't is labeled "biased". If The Verge had given the phone a higher score, would they still be biased?
    09-25-14 11:59 AM
    it is true phones are supposed to be held with one hand not two.
    Yeah just like the notes. IPhone 6 plus and other big devices. Talk about hypocrisy.

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.3247
    09-25-14 12:01 PM

Brutal learning curve was windows 8 for me. iOS to BB10 didn't take much time to adjust.

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.3247
    Elite1 and anon(5828343) like this.
    09-25-14 12:03 PM
    It's funny how we judge tech sites and their reviews these days. A site that agrees with our opinion of a device is fair and balanced, while a site that doesn't is labeled "biased". If The Verge had given the phone a higher score, would they still be biased?
    If they gave arguments that weren't hypocritical they wouldn't appear so damn biased.

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.3247
    coyotejim and spikesolie like this.
    09-25-14 12:04 PM
    Brutal learning curve was windows 8 for me. iOS to BB10 didn't take much time to adjust.

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.3247
    It's all very personal. Some people can do it, others can't. I took to iOS like I was always on iPhone while the transition from BBOS to BB10 was impossible. I think the PCMag review said it best. You're either a Passport or you're not. After months of use, I knew I wasn't a Z10 and I could (barely) put up with a Q10.
    09-25-14 12:05 PM
    It's all very personal. Some people can do it, others can't. I took to iOS like I was always on iPhone while the transition from BBOS to BB10 was impossible. I think the PCMag review said it best. You're either a Passport or you're not. After months of use, I knew I wasn't a Z10 and I could (barely) put up with a Q10.
    Maybe that will change for classic. Should be a more polished OS for everyone.

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.3247
    anon(5828343) likes this.
    09-25-14 12:14 PM
    Maybe that will change for classic. Should be a more polished OS for everyone.

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.3247
    I hope you're right. That's what I'm holding out for and have decided to give Passport a pass largely because of the size.
    09-25-14 12:17 PM
    So if the reviews are positive mean they are honest while if the reviews are negative they are biased. Is that right? Actually, I think the Verge is the good one, it is true phones are supposed to be held with one hand not two.
    And the iphone +? Is that a one handed device? That "one hand mode" is useless BTW.

Posted via CB10
    09-25-14 12:20 PM
    The verge review is utterly ignorant is what it is.

Blackberry said that this device is for productivity and enterprise but he reviewed it as if he was a child who wants his video/games and wants it now.

A narrow minded apple fanboy. That's all it is.

Posted via CB10
    09-25-14 12:35 PM
162 ... 23456 ...