I made the mistake of buying one of these "evaluation" edition Passports on eBay without checking the IMEI#. The IMEI# didn't match the phone. In settings it shows as Passport but I checked and it's actually for a Blackberry 9720. I put in my sim card and AT&T suspended my phone line. Reason was unknown device. I had to call and get it reactivated. If you see one for sale make sure you check the IMEI #.
    04-27-21 12:32 AM
    I made the mistake of buying one of these "evaluation" edition Passports on eBay without checking the IMEI#. The IMEI# didn't match the phone. In settings it shows as Passport but I checked and it's actually for a Blackberry 9720. I put in my sim card and AT&T suspended my phone line. Reason was unknown device. I had to call and get it reactivated. If you see one for sale make sure you check the IMEI #.
    Is there an IMEI resource to match the number and the phone?

Posted via CB10
    04-27-21 02:23 AM
    Even if it was a production Passport... AT&T isn't supporting it anymore and you line would have been locked.

If you have one on an existing line... it's good, till they end 3G. But adding one to a line it's not activated on will get it locked.
    04-27-21 08:23 AM
    I took that same sim card and put in my BB Z30 and it works. I logged into my ATT account and it shows a Blackberry Z30. I am currently using that sim in my BB Leap. My phone line has not been suspended or deactivated. As posted before, when I checked the Passport IMEI #, it shows the number is associated with a BB 9720 not a Passport. Phone and IMEI# don't match.
    04-27-21 11:49 AM
    Are there no carriers in the US that will just allow you to throw a SIM in any phone with the right frequencies? I wonder if any of the mvno's will allow that? Here in Canada it's the Wild West: if the phone has the carrier's frequencies, it works. The carriers don't seem to care at all about your choice of device.
    04-27-21 07:17 PM
    Are there no carriers in the US that will just allow you to throw a SIM in any phone with the right frequencies? I wonder if any of the mvno's will allow that? Here in Canada it's the Wild West: if the phone has the carrier's frequencies, it works. The carriers don't seem to care at all about your choice of device.
    Sure some do but with 3G shutting down some are trying to hedge off problems before they get started.
    04-27-21 07:24 PM
    MVNOs are stuck with the carrier network protocol while being treated as below postpaid carrier then prepaid carrier branded accounts. The carriers also have their owned MVNOs so reality is don’t expect anything. Postpaid gets treated best.
    04-27-21 07:34 PM
    It's only AT&T. It's not that it's a mismatch it's that they don't support the 9720.
    04-27-21 10:12 PM
    The phone is a BB Passport with an IMEI # that is assoiciated with a BB 9720. Mismatch. The point of my original post was to remind people to check the IMEI before buying a used phone, especially from ebay. That's what I should have done. I don't blame anyone except myself.
    brookie229 likes this.
    04-29-21 01:52 AM
    The phone is a BB Passport with an IMEI # that is assoiciated with a BB 9720. Mismatch. The point of my original post was to remind people to check the IMEI before buying a used phone, especially from ebay. That's what I should have done. I don't blame anyone except myself.
    How do you check an IMEI?

Posted via CB10
    04-29-21 09:20 AM
    I used this site to check a phones IMEI# before buying . IMEI.info: IMEI CHECK - Free Online IMEI Number Checkerhttps://www.imei.info. You will find out if it is clean or blacklisted. It will also show the phone associated with the #.
    04-29-21 10:09 AM
    How do you check an IMEI?

Posted via CB10
    I used this site to check a phones IMEI# before buying . IMEI.info: IMEI CHECK - Free Online IMEI Number Checkerhttps://www.imei.info. You will find out if it is clean or blacklisted. It will also show the phone associated with the #.
    Another great place is your carrier website under the BYOD section although ultimately the biggest issue will be the stolen/unpaid/blacklisted risks as well.

If you’re going to buy used devices, Amazon, eBay and using PayPal for me, offer some of the best protections for the buyer if you do it properly. If the seller misrepresented the product, you have the chargeback protection. That’s why so many will attempt to bypass those rules and protections.

If you purchased through eBay, file a claim.
    brookie229 likes this.
    04-29-21 10:16 AM