12-15-14 10:59 PM
54 123
tools
    Ugh, different architecture. It's like comparing an ARM chip to an Intel x86. The A series chips from Apple have a much, much higher IPC than any Snapdragon chip.

Posted via CB10
    Ugh, what about the rest of the specs? Should we ignore or dismiss them as well?

CB10'n it via da Z...30
    09-10-14 06:13 AM
    It doesn't cost too much to manufacture a phone. Cost them $150 to make one Z10.

750$ for ANY phone is ridiculous.

Posted via CB10
    Not quite, dude.

The parts inside the Z10 cost BlackBerry $154 per device. That means that just the physical materials that the device is comprised of.

This excludes the following costs which need to be factored into the price, plus others:

-Machinery (all different sorts that attach the chipboard, build the shell, transport the items etc - this is a massive investment)
    -Factory Labour
    -Transport Costs
    -Royalty Payments (for HDMI, MP3, AVI and a few others)
    -The entire BlackBerry employee roster's worth of salaries (This includes paying for new features in the OS, app dev, beta testing)
    -Returns on faulty units
    -Units found to be faulty by Quality Assurance
    -Striking deals with App Developers to get their apps on the device
    -Marketing (haha...not really)
    -Legal Costs for all the In-Progress lawsuits.

I'm sure there are others but I can't think of them right now.

My point is that it doesn't just cost them $154 to make the Z10...so when people complain and say it should have been launched at $250 (yes, there were actually people who said that), it just seems ignorant to me.

Manufacturers like Samsung and LG make their own internals which other companies like BlackBerry and Apple are buying (yeah, don't let anyone fool you...a lot of the components inside iPhones and BlackBerries are Samsung or LG), so not only do Samsung and LG make money off of their internals, it is also a lot cheaper for them to put it in their devices.

Other manufacturers only utilize the near slave-labour prices from some of the Chinese Foxconn factories...like Huawei and Xiaomi...which is why they are so cheap...and generic(generally).

But lastly...I want to leave you with this:

In Cape Town, South Africa; in 2009, the iPod 160GB sold for R3800 (~$346)...my friend's one broke in June this year and we went to the iStore to get a new one...until we found out that not only was the new version no different inside (same dimensions, still 160GB - just the touch-dial thingy was black), it was R4000 (~363)...wait, what?!
    MaxxxBerry23 likes this.
    09-10-14 09:28 AM
    Sorry for resurrecting an old post. But needed to know if anyone purchased the BB Passport from Qatar? Wanted to know if BBM Voice/Video works on the Passport purchased from Qatar or not.
    Looks like the ones from UAE have the BBM Voice/Video disabled on those devices.
    12-15-14 09:27 AM
    If BBM Voice/Video/Meetigs work, is dependent on where you are, not where your device is from. Du and Etisalat have the services blocked, not BB on the device itself.
    My BBs bought in Dubai work perfectly fine in Germany, meaning you'll simply have to set up VPN to get it working.
    12-15-14 10:59 PM
54 123