08-13-14 11:45 AM
80 ... 234
tools
    Thanks for the info. Are any services even close to hitting either of those numbers? Sounds unnecessary if you are only allowed 30mbps transfer over the network.
    08-06-14 02:58 PM
    I was sure hoping that someone that is "testing" a Passport had come out and confirmed there is a CDMA Passport.
    If it exists, I'm sure BB employees are testing it locally. Verizon BB phones have been CDMA-GSM phones for quite a while, plus the Q10 and Z30 had UMTS 850 and 1900, and LTE b4 too--all of which are used in Canada.
    08-06-14 03:11 PM
    Are any services even close to hitting either of those numbers? Sounds unnecessary if you are only allowed 30mbps transfer over the network.
    Right now, no. But it future-proofs the phone. And I have seen >30mbps on LTE. TMO's wideband and Verizon's XLTE are supposed to give you way past that. And who knows what the speeds in Korea and Japan (IMO two of the pioneers of LTE) are up to now.
    08-06-14 05:19 PM
    If the Passport were just another device in and up to date lineup... I don't think it would get "thrashed" as much. But with it being the first device in over a year to be released in the US, and it being just SO.... "unique". And BlackBerry doing this weird two months of showing it off before really launching it. You have to expect that they are going to be made fun of!

Should have kept things quite like Chen said they needed to, and then launched the thing and explain what it was meant to do. Right now the average person not reading CrackBerry may think this is BlackBerry's answer to the iPhone... a giant Bold. When in truth I don't think BlackBerry expects to sell but a very limited number of these to a high end niche. Public Relations and Marketing departments at BlackBerry still need some new blood.
    that's an interesting interpretation. & i agree in part. i definitely think Blackberry needs to have something P.R., Marketing, Investor Relations-wise et cetera that speaks to the forthcoming devices & maybe speaks to Mr Chen's vision & strategy for Blackberry.

i also completely agree that Blackberry probably receives more negative media attention for the wrong reasons but IMO i just think it is completely unfounded.
    Last edited by Iblamesummers; 08-08-14 at 03:26 PM. Reason: spelling & grammar
    08-07-14 10:27 AM
    Verizon to launch VoLTE in Q4, but delays first LTE-only phones to 2016 - FierceWireless

Verizon Wireless (NYSE: VZ) intends to launch Voice over LTE service in the fourth quarter of this year, and the carrier plans to use the technology to introduce new, high-definition telepresence services, according to Verizon Communications CFO Fran Shammo.

However, Shammo significantly pushed out the timetable for when Verizon will launch phones that are LTE-only, without support for CDMA voice technology. Speaking at the Oppenheimer Technology, Internet & Communications Conference, the Verizon executive said that Verizon will deploy phones without CDMA chipsets in the first half of 2016. Previously, Shammo indicated Verizon would launch its first phone like that by the end of 2014.
    Passport will have CDMA.... at least is will if Verizon is going to carry it, and I really can't imagine them not.
    08-13-14 11:45 AM
80 ... 234