Seriously BB, LTE cat. 3 in a mid-2014 flagship?
    08-04-14 08:49 PM
    It would be nice to pick this up on my carrier- Old Blue.......or a well-deserved FU for at&t.
    08-04-14 08:52 PM
    Didn't scroll low enough in the SAR report.

That's a lot of bands in one device, including LTE bands 13 and 17! Which means phone will work* on both AT&T and Verizon. Hot damn.

*Phone seems to be lacking Verizon's CDMA bands, which means no voice calling unless one's in a voLTE (test) market.
    Others noticed the large amount of bands earlier... have a read of this thread:

http://forums.crackberry.com/showthread.php?t=949489

Posted via CB10
    raino likes this.
    08-04-14 09:13 PM
    Interesting note, the confidentiality agreement ends on Sept 12th, 2014
    Also funnily enough, @Dhabkirk (employee of BlackBerry) tweeted this:
    Attached Thumbnails BlackBerry Passport  Passes Through FCC-1407204976151.jpg  
    08-04-14 09:16 PM
    Also funnily enough, @Dhabkirk (employee of BlackBerry) tweeted this:
    I...don't think he's a BB employee. I mean, his twitter info says "BlackBerry Leaks" right there...

Plus he's active here in the forums. Not that it determines his employee status at BB, but if he were an employee, he certainly is an...edgy one.
    08-04-14 09:18 PM
    I...don't think he's a BB employee. I mean, his twitter info says "BlackBerry Leaks" right there...

Plus he's active here in the forums. Not that it determines his employee status at BB, but if he were an employee, he certainly is an...edgy one.
    Well he does upload screenshots from the Passport and even has 10.3.1 so it appears he has some... Connections.
    08-04-14 09:26 PM
    Anyone see anything pertaining to wireless charging in any of the docs? I did a search within the SAR report for 'wireless' and 'charging,' didn't find anything relevant.
    austriker likes this.
    08-04-14 09:30 PM
    Others noticed the large amount of bands earlier... have a read of this thread:

Possibly one Passport variant for all region - BlackBerry Forums at CrackBerry.com
    Interesting thread. I'm not sure I agree with the OP's premise, but it's cool to see some of the bands listed in there, like 40 (India,) and 41 (China!)
    08-04-14 10:58 PM
    I'm going to miss my HDMI port on the Z30 once I sell it to my friend... Looking forward to the Passport that now has FM Radio.. but no HDMI
    08-05-14 12:57 AM
    FM radio on the Passport is great.... but the fact that all BB10 devices dont have the same service as the old blackberry phones such phones will not sell in Africa because cost of running a smart phone is really big factor in deciding what smart phone one wants to buy......Internet data is very expensive in this part of the world...

Posted via CB10
    08-05-14 03:13 AM
    FM radio on the Passport is great.... but the fact that all BB10 devices dont have the same service as the old blackberry phones such phones will not sell in Africa because cost of running a smart phone is really big factor in deciding what smart phone one wants to buy......Internet data is very expensive in this part of the world...

Posted via CB10
    But that just makes it the same as other phones?

Check Out TechCraze
    08-05-14 03:33 AM
    Anyone see anything pertaining to wireless charging in any of the docs? I did a search within the SAR report for 'wireless' and 'charging,' didn't find anything relevant.
    PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE BlackBerry.

White Z30STA100-5/10.2.1.1925 = heaven.
    08-05-14 08:23 AM
    Interesting assertion in there, but completely off the mark. They're just testing/doing initial deployments of voLTE, so voice is still largely off of the CDMA network. Probably will be for the next 2-5 years, I would think.
    http://www.fiercewireless.com/story/...o-c/2014-05-20

According to this, Verizon plans on a nationwide launch of volte later this year.

In other words, it will be launched everywhere at the same time, not rolled out gradually.

I know there was info out there about a CDMA version but maybe Verizon opted to buy this one instead. It's "possible."

Posted via CB10
    08-05-14 08:59 AM
    thats not really true, Africans are big buyers of samsung and iphones which are also data consumers,

Posted via CB10
    08-05-14 09:53 AM

Posted via CB10
    The cost is still cheaper than the alternatives. The only internet data cheaper than the BB10 offering is a BlackBerry on BIS. So if Africans can buy the SG4 and iPhones, surely they can buy the Passport if perceived as worth it weight in money.
    08-05-14 10:29 AM
    Verizon plans nationwide VoLTE launch this year with 'robust' smartphone lineup, video calling - FierceWireless

According to this, Verizon plans on a nationwide launch of volte later this year.

In other words, it will be launched everywhere at the same time, not rolled out gradually.

I know there was info out there about a CDMA version but maybe Verizon opted to buy this one instead. It's "possible."
    Thanks for finding this, I love Fierce Wireless! 'Nationwide' doesn't necessarily mean "coast to coast" or even "every LTE market from coast to coast." Hell, even TMO claims to have a nationwide voLTE market

I think nationwide must refer to a specific number of customers to whom the service is available. Now obviously Verizon's spectrum holdings are much greater than TMO's, and their nationwide is more likely to really mean nationwide, but I still think they're not doing away with CDMA any time soon. So if they will be picking up a Passport, it will have CDMA in it.
    08-05-14 11:59 AM
    Thanks for finding this, I love Fierce Wireless! 'Nationwide' doesn't necessarily mean "coast to coast" or even "every LTE market from coast to coast." Hell, even TMO claims to have a nationwide voLTE market

I think nationwide must refer to a specific number of customers to whom the service is available. Now obviously Verizon's spectrum holdings are much greater than TMO's, and their nationwide is more likely to really mean nationwide, but I still think they're not doing away with CDMA any time soon. So if they will be picking up a Passport, it will have CDMA in it.
    Agree, Verizon may have voLTE later this year in a big part of their system.. but that doesn't mean they will be selling devices not capable of using CDMA anytime soon. As I understood it voLTE is required on both devices, so it would be an extra feature like BMM Voice and Video. But to call another non voLTE number you would still need CDMA.
    08-05-14 02:12 PM
    As I understood it voLTE is required on both devices
    I will look into this. As I understand it, voLTE just pertains to which network the outgoing or incoming call is on, with no requirement for the same network end to end. Perhaps you're thinking of HD calling? That requires both recipients to be in HD capable markets.
    08-05-14 02:16 PM
    From Verizon's Announcement

For a customer to make or receive a VoLTE call, both parties must have VoLTE-enabled devices and be in an area where VoLTE is available. - See more at: Verizon Details VoLTE Rollout Plans
    For now you would need a VoLTE device with CDMA capabilities also.
    raino likes this.
    08-05-14 03:12 PM
    From Verizon's Announcement

For now you would need a VoLTE device with CDMA capabilities also.
    I think it's because of HD calling that they need end to end voLTE; voLTE calling itself may not require end to end LTE transmission, as TMO's CTO says:

Enhanced Single Radio Voice Call Continuity (eSRVCC) is a new LTE Advanced function and we’re excited to be the first to deploy it in the U.S. All of this basically helps ensure that your capable phone won’t drop a call if you leave an LTE area and it switches to 4G HSPA+ or 2G coverage.
    So if a hand-off is possible, I'm guessing you don't need to be on voLTE end to end either.
    08-05-14 03:24 PM
    saw this news on FBN yesterday afternoon i could not believe the way the two guests were completely thrashing BB. i see this on other business news channels & its such a shame.
    08-06-14 12:56 AM
    saw this news on FBN yesterday afternoon i could not believe the way the two guests were completely thrashing BB. i see this on other business news channels & its such a shame.
    If the Passport were just another device in and up to date lineup... I don't think it would get "thrashed" as much. But with it being the first device in over a year to be released in the US, and it being just SO.... "unique". And BlackBerry doing this weird two months of showing it off before really launching it. You have to expect that they are going to be made fun of!

Should have kept things quite like Chen said they needed to, and then launched the thing and explain what it was meant to do. Right now the average person not reading CrackBerry may think this is BlackBerry's answer to the iPhone... a giant Bold. When in truth I don't think BlackBerry expects to sell but a very limited number of these to a high end niche. Public Relations and Marketing departments at BlackBerry still need some new blood.
    Iblamesummers likes this.
    08-06-14 07:33 AM
    Seriously BB, LTE cat. 3 in a mid-2014 flagship?
    What does this mean...
    08-06-14 08:58 AM
    What does this mean...
    User equipment (UE) categories, which basically specify the max speeds your LTE downloads and uploads can hit. Category 3's upper limit is 102 mbps. Category 4 is 150.8 mbps. A lot of other flagships are cat. 4 at this point. Even around the time the Z30 was released, cat. 4 phones had started coming out.
    08-06-14 01:42 PM
    I was sure hoping that someone that is "testing" a Passport had come out and confirmed there is a CDMA Passport.
    08-06-14 02:57 PM
80 1234