It's just for marketing. The box will have a passport written on it.
    09-16-14 08:03 AM
    Press has been very favourable toward the Passport form factor. I would suspect that people are actually getting tired of the standard form factor. This is akin to automobile shapes. Once a form factor for a car has been used for a number of years things come along that completely change that. For example Cadillac STS completely went angular vs the standard curved lines. Look at the Honda Element. What about the Scion xB. These are examples of designs that broke away from the standard form factor.
    09-16-14 09:17 AM
    Man...oh man!

As much as I like Blackberry and the specs of the new phone, I think it will catch fire with controversy and criticism! I believe that the pundits that put down the Z10 will lock and load on the Passport for being so "out there" and call it "out of touch". I believe that people will continue to scoff, mock and laugh (out loud) at the form factor of the Passport and creatively bash it as another embarrassment for Blackberry. I believe that the "nay-sayers" will say that Blackberry is "really-so-far-gone" and out of step with what consumers want that their fate is inevitable.

I really don't think this form factor will entice the marketplace but will alienate users who will believe the billions of dollars worth of negative (free) press and there is no way that BB can counter advertise or promote the passport beyond that. Is this the nail in the coffin? I don't know, but people are gonna second guess this move and wonder why not "imitate" the leaders instead of blazing in a direction that no one is going.

Real soon, you'll hear about another US Govt brand that is ditching the BB altogether in favor of Samsungs. It'll be locked down, but the choice is clear that "everyone loves/wants a winner". That perception no longer belongs to Blackberry.

However, Go BB!
    Only one problem with your post. BlackBerry isn't just a handset vendor (and is positioning itself that way). If BlackBerry only made a million of these devices, sold everyone, its a success.
    09-16-14 10:38 AM
    It's getting exciting by the minute

Posted via CB10
    09-16-14 01:03 PM
    Is there a design shift on the retail packaging after Mr Chen took charge?
    If yes, then yeah yeah!!! We would be seeing some amazingly classy and unique box packing, I am sure.

If not, hmmmmmm.... Hardly doubt it would be much different.
    09-16-14 01:17 PM
    Man...oh man!

As much as I like Blackberry and the specs of the new phone, I think it will catch fire with controversy and criticism! I believe that the pundits that put down the Z10 will lock and load on the Passport for being so "out there" and call it "out of touch". I believe that people will continue to scoff, mock and laugh (out loud) at the form factor of the Passport and creatively bash it as another embarrassment for Blackberry. I believe that the "nay-sayers" will say that Blackberry is "really-so-far-gone" and out of step with what consumers want that their fate is inevitable.

I really don't think this form factor will entice the marketplace but will alienate users who will believe the billions of dollars worth of negative (free) press and there is no way that BB can counter advertise or promote the passport beyond that. Is this the nail in the coffin? I don't know, but people are gonna second guess this move and wonder why not "imitate" the leaders instead of blazing in a direction that no one is going.

Real soon, you'll hear about another US Govt brand that is ditching the BB altogether in favor of Samsungs. It'll be locked down, but the choice is clear that "everyone loves/wants a winner". That perception no longer belongs to Blackberry.

However, Go BB!
    You are engaging in something known as "projection". It sounds like you don't see any merits in the design of the Passport (or at least see it as too "out there" yourself), and you assume that everybody else will feel the same way.

You don't really know how the public will receive this phone, so there's little point in worrying.

ETA: Believe it or not, exactly the same sentiment was expressed about Samsung before they introduced the first Note. They seen to have done okay.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by Thunderbuck; 09-16-14 at 01:44 PM.
    H4zN likes this.
    09-16-14 01:29 PM
    It's just for marketing. The box will have a passport written on it.
    Yup.. in several spots lol.
    09-16-14 02:11 PM
    Really!

It's my opinion that the pundits and therefore uninformed or misimformed consumers and govt and corp IT management will no longer see the BB as viable. The CRITICS will argue that it's out of step and irrelevant, the masses will listen and they will laugh. I'm all for Blackberry, but in a month or so wifie and her fellow co-workers will come home with Samsungs and ditch the BB altogether. No amount of security features with the Blackberry were enough to persuade the govt from going with the new phones...any of them.

You're right...I don't KNOW anything, except the disappointment I felt when RIM left BB10 on the vine w/o proper marketing (DuperBowl commercial) and failed product placement. I don't know what will happen and I encourage the success. But I know what I've seen for the last 5 years and is dismal.

What I do remember is the HORD of negative press and blogsites seemingly devoted to bashing Blackberry. Very little of them giving a fair, objective and balanced comparison with other phones. Form factor aside, NO ONE CARES ABOUT SECURITY! It doesn't sell phones and phone sales keep the company alive and solvent. Another flop from BB and the few remaining customers may go elsewhere. I SEE the corporate and the govt decision makers and they are moving AWAY from BB. I've HEARD the powerful LAUGH at this new form factor. I HEAR them balk at the "indecision" of Blackberry and feel this is the nail in the coffin. Am I the only one who remembers the BB10 launch? Sorry!

Make a phone that compares favorably to the rest of the competition (iPhone and S5). Promote the phone to non govt/corp types and slip in that "we are still the best in security". Promote on the basis that the other guys can't do or say that. "All that (iPhone/S5) and World Class Security. they can't knock that claim.

Go BB!
    09-16-14 02:40 PM
    Really!

It's my opinion that the pundits and therefore uninformed or misimformed consumers and govt and corp IT management will no longer see the BB as viable. The CRITICS will argue that it's out of step and irrelevant, the masses will listen and they will laugh. I'm all for Blackberry, but in a month or so wifie and her fellow co-workers will come home with Samsungs and ditch the BB altogether. No amount of security features with the Blackberry were enough to persuade the govt from going with the new phones...any of them.

You're right...I don't KNOW anything, except the disappointment I felt when RIM left BB10 on the vine w/o proper marketing (DuperBowl commercial) and failed product placement. I don't know what will happen and I encourage the success. But I know what I've seen for the last 5 years and is dismal.

What I do remember is the HORD of negative press and blogsites seemingly devoted to bashing Blackberry. Very little of them giving a fair, objective and balanced comparison with other phones. Form factor aside, NO ONE CARES ABOUT SECURITY! It doesn't sell phones and phone sales keep the company alive and solvent. Another flop from BB and the few remaining customers may go elsewhere. I SEE the corporate and the govt decision makers and they are moving AWAY from BB. I've HEARD the powerful LAUGH at this new form factor. I HEAR them balk at the "indecision" of Blackberry and feel this is the nail in the coffin. Am I the only one who remembers the BB10 launch? Sorry!

Make a phone that compares favorably to the rest of the competition (iPhone and S5). Promote the phone to non govt/corp types and slip in that "we are still the best in security". Promote on the basis that the other guys can't do or say that. "All that (iPhone/S5) and World Class Security. they can't knock that claim.

Go BB!
    Way too grim.

BlackBerry is still a favorite among government agencies. BES10 (soon to be 12) is accelerating in acceptance, and represents the easiest and cheapest way for a company to adopt modern MDM. And while BES12 is a great platform for BYOD, not every company actually wants BYOD, and the best experience for Enterprise users will continue to be BlackBerry.

Lots of companies have switched to other platforms in the past couple of years, in many cases because they didn't expect BlackBerry to survive and didn't want to be left in the lurch. Now that BlackBerry is turning the corner, companies are more comfortable staying with them.

The Passport--or any individual launch--has little or nothing to do with any of this.
    09-16-14 02:52 PM
    Is this what the box looks like.
    09-18-14 09:30 PM
    09-18-14 09:30 PM
    Nice... love his impressions of the device!

tylerflorence
    Just unboxed the new BlackBerry Passport. I'm blown away. The phone is insane. The key board, battery, OS, 13 mega pixel camera, aspect ratio are all perfect. I love the size too. It's a beautiful design and It DOES fit in your front pocket. And.... no more app gap. Netfix, Uber, MLB, Amazon app store, tons of new music and of course Instagram. Chen didn't give up and neither did we. It's obvious BlackBerry is back. Thank you #BlackBerry for letting me get an early peek. It's gorgeous.... I love it.
    And...

God bless Canada. I hope BlackBerry kills it with this, it's one of the sexiest phones I've ever had and I've had them all.
    Posted via CB10
    09-18-14 09:54 PM
    Page no longer found
    09-18-14 11:40 PM
    Page no longer found

BlackBerry Passport Package (Box) leaked-img_20140919_103934_edit.png

Posted via CB10
    light_barer and SharonRD like this.
    09-19-14 12:00 AM
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20140919_103934_edit.png 
Views:	560 
Size:	620.9 KB 
ID:	298759

Thanks Usman!

Posted via CB10
    09-19-14 12:03 AM
    I'm literally slobbering over this box lol.
    Thunderbuck likes this.
    09-19-14 12:05 AM
    BlackBerry Passport Package (Box) leaked-1411214778333_790253.jpeg

Verizon Z30
    light_barer likes this.
    09-20-14 07:08 AM
    God this thread is making me hungry

Posted via CB10
    09-20-14 06:27 PM
68 123