Every "professional" is also a consumer. You can target an audience without having to be exclusive to that targeting.
    10-21-14 06:57 PM
    But unfortunately it doesn't matter how great a device BlackBerry makes, most android/iphone use will never consider it even though they find the device pretty good as well, because they think BlackBerry is a dying company and a thing of the past.

Then they are only half-informed. Most Android producers are in as bad shape as BBRY, if not worse. Look at HTC, they produced one of the highest rated phones out there and they are barely scraping by. The only ones making any real money from Android phones are Samsung, Google and Microsoft and Samsung's sales are plummeting...
    10-21-14 07:02 PM
    Keyboard....check.
    Browser ... check
    Apps...check
    Power... check
    Security ....check.
    Call Quality...Check
    Will not bend....Check
    Anything else better? ....No
    Andy_bb_king and jakie55 like this.
    10-21-14 07:12 PM
    It's not ONLY for professionals, but professionals are most likely to appreciate its qualities.

But that's how you build a base. Recapture a good chunk of that group, then get their spouses, kids, siblings, etc.

It's a device that has that possibility.

Posted with my Passport via CB10!
    Andy_bb_king and jakie55 like this.
    10-21-14 07:51 PM
    yes, the wife...I'm a bit concerned. I see the pattern emerging: I got the iPhone, she took over my iPhone, I got the Q10, she took over the Q10..now I'm getting the PP...better start saving up some extra cash.
    jakie55 and BrandonQ10 like this.
    10-22-14 01:03 AM
    happens to be quite adept at the fun stuff too, for those who will use it 24/7 instead of just 8-5. And I'm just fine with that, since it aligns perfectly with what BlackBerry's vision has always been, and why they dominated the space for so long.
    If I remember correctly, this is exactly how BlackBerry/RIM became the leader in the early 2000's. They were corporate and "professional" devices that the regular consumers decided they just had to have. It is, in my opinion, a good strategy to pigeon hole the Passport into this slot, to make it desirable. BlackBerry proved with the Z10, as good a device as it was, that they cannot out Apple Apple, so why not define their own niche.
    10-22-14 01:29 AM
    If I remember correctly, this is exactly how BlackBerry/RIM became the leader in the early 2000's. They were corporate and "professional" devices that the regular consumers decided they just had to have. It is, in my opinion, a good strategy to pigeon hole the Passport into this slot, to make it desirable. BlackBerry proved with the Z10, as good a device as it was, that they cannot out Apple Apple, so why not define their own niche.
    History repeating itself

This strategy actually might work.
    10-22-14 01:36 AM
    I keep seeing this comment about the PP being a 'niche' device, for 'professionals', managers, IT-admins and CEO's. For reading 'spreadsheets' and looking at PDF's.
    I am sure it is a perfect device for work professionals, but reading twitter and personal reviews and seeing reactions to the PP around the web, I am quite sure that to many, many 'non-professionals' and 'ordinary' mobile user out there, this a long sought after 'perfect' device.
    Most people use their phone for communication, be it Facebook, twitter and messaging and regular phone calls and obviously watching images, web content and videos. And as we all know, the PP handles these tasks perfectly, BUT because of the screen with a much more satisfying experience!
    Even regarding the 'old school' keyboard I am quite sure a lot of users out there really miss the ability to type on a physical keyboard as opposed to 'dead' glass. But they wouldn't admit to that even on their death bed! Who wants to be 'old', right?
    I am even leaving battery life and build quality out of this post...

I really think Blackberry has a definite all-appeal device here with the big square screen and the touch sensitive keyboard, not just a 'niche' product. I'm just saying....
    Forum users here mock people for using their phone for more than productivity though. When I had my Z10, people here mocked others for wanting more apps. People here describe themselves as professionals or "power users." While not all are like this, the majority are. The fact of the matter is that Chen has explicitly stated BlackBerry is business based. If anyone without any other exposure to any of the other features were to hear this, would they want the device? I'm not sure.

There is all work and no play in BlackBerry land and CrackBerry.
    10-22-14 03:08 AM
    I keep seeing this comment about the PP being a 'niche' device, for 'professionals', managers, IT-admins and CEO's. For reading 'spreadsheets' and looking at PDF's.
    I am sure it is a perfect device for work professionals, but reading twitter and personal reviews and seeing reactions to the PP around the web, I am quite sure that to many, many 'non-professionals' and 'ordinary' mobile user out there, this a long sought after 'perfect' device.
    Most people use their phone for communication, be it Facebook, twitter and messaging and regular phone calls and obviously watching images, web content and videos. And as we all know, the PP handles these tasks perfectly, BUT because of the screen with a much more satisfying experience!
    Even regarding the 'old school' keyboard I am quite sure a lot of users out there really miss the ability to type on a physical keyboard as opposed to 'dead' glass. But they wouldn't admit to that even on their death bed! Who wants to be 'old', right?
    I am even leaving battery life and build quality out of this post...

I really think Blackberry has a definite all-appeal device here with the big square screen and the touch sensitive keyboard, not just a 'niche' product. I'm just saying....
    Most touchscreen users now swipe to enter text with autocomplete, that's why KB phones now are such a small market share
    10-22-14 03:40 AM
    im the furthest thing from a so called "professional" . I personally wont even carry this phone to work. purely for personal use. wouldnt want to damage the phone at work lol. Its one hell of a device.
    10-22-14 06:08 AM
35 12