Hi everyone,

I recently joined the forums. So recently my much loved blackberry passport's battery drained overnight. In the morning while i was going out, i plugged the passport to the car's USB charger, while the phone was loading i changed my mind and decided to take the second car so i switched off the car while the BB was still loading and plugged it to the other car. it was on charge for a few hours and it never started. The screen is stuck to verifying device and showing 100%. I tried to do soft and hard resets many many time. I tried to connect it to the wall charger. The device cannot be connected to the blackberry link (it shows device disconnected, although i can hear the sound) and yes i have tried different computers and reinstalled all the desktop managers. i have left the battery to completely drain and recharge it but no luck. I have removed the back cover and disconnected the battery terminals (still no luck). i tried to directly connect the charger to BB without connecting the battery. I called blackberry headoffice but no luck there. The only thing i havent tried yet is to connect it to a 3 amp wall charger and see it that works. I am aware of resurrecting the device through various external apps. I dont care about the device, i need my documents, contacts and most of all precious photos of my kids and families. (And no i dont have a SD card). Can any one please help me fix this device so atleast i can take out my data. Please help me.
    03-12-18 02:57 AM
    I'd try reloading the OS with an Autoloader... if you know what OS you were on, use the same one.

Info on using an Autoloader and downloading one can be found here. https://forums.crackberry.com/bb10-leaked-beta-os-f395/
    03-12-18 07:28 AM
    Thanks Dunt for the reply, I cant remember what OS was on my passport. So if i reload the OS with Autoloader will it delete my Data from the phone?

Regards
    03-13-18 02:30 AM
    Thanks Dunt for the reply, I cant remember what OS was on my passport. So if i reload the OS with Autoloader will it delete my Data from the phone?

Regards
    Yep. An autoloader will wipe your phone clean and install a new version of the operating system. The data goes away, so don't do it.

In your situation I would start with seeing if your computer can see your phone when you plug it in. Use Device Manager in Windows or System Report in Mac to check. I would try Windows / Mac / Linux to see if your phone can be recognized by any, and if it can, if you can use Link to do a data restore. That will be the best bet to get data out of the device without harming it or your future chances at another safe shot.
    Townboy786 and godexha like this.
    03-13-18 04:38 AM
    It will wipe your device... but if it isn't booting then your data is pretty much gone anyway.

As you have tried hard resets, and connecting to LINK already... you really don't have any options left.
    03-13-18 12:03 PM
    Hi DUNT and kkoo,

Thanks for the information, i have tried it in a windows desktop and laptop with same results. However i havent tried it with MAC. i will try to get hold of one this weekend and see if it works with MAC. The Phone appears in the Device manager and shows all drivers are upto date and working fine, however no link can be established to access the data. Furthermore, i bought a 2.4 amp charger with new usb cable to give it an instant boost of charge, so that the operating system can start. However, it failed as well. I will keep youz posted once i get access to a MAC computer.
    I can give an arm and a leg for the photos of my babies in the phone.
    03-14-18 08:12 PM
    Hi DUNT and kkoo,

Thanks for the information, i have tried it in a windows desktop and laptop with same results. However i havent tried it with MAC. i will try to get hold of one this weekend and see if it works with MAC. The Phone appears in the Device manager and shows all drivers are upto date and working fine, however no link can be established to access the data. Furthermore, i bought a 2.4 amp charger with new usb cable to give it an instant boost of charge, so that the operating system can start. However, it failed as well. I will keep youz posted once i get access to a MAC computer.
    I can give an arm and a leg for the photos of my babies in the phone.
    Hi Townboy786,

I design electronics and can tell you that chargers will not help your case in any way. The phone's processor gets the same voltage from its regulator whether powered from the battery or off a charger, and once the processor starts doing softwarey things, it doesn't matter who is providing the juice.

Your phone is somehow getting stuck right before the final initialization and kickoff of the full OS functionality. Considering I design systems like this and know how software works at different stages of boot and operation, I can comment that it is likely that the 100% getting stuck point is at a stage where the USB software functionality for reading your filesystem and accessing files is not loaded and available. That can be a probable reason why you can see your phone as an available USB device, a feature that is available even without the OS being loaded, but not as something that presents the filesystems on your to your computer. Can't/don't know what the real reason is...

The goal behind my recommendation to try different computers and OSes is to see if you can get Link on any particular computer/OS to talk to your Passport.

Have you done a reset via the holding down both Volume Up and Down buttons for 10 seconds? I don't think it would help you, hearing your case, but it's worth a shot.

Also try this - it might help?

https://www.bbin.in/2013/02/to-black...cognizing-z10/
    Townboy786 likes this.
    03-17-18 04:29 AM
    Hi Townboy786,

I design electronics and can tell you that chargers will not help your case in any way. The phone's processor gets the same voltage from its regulator whether powered from the battery or off a charger, and once the processor starts doing softwarey things, it doesn't matter who is providing the juice.

Your phone is somehow getting stuck right before the final initialization and kickoff of the full OS functionality. Considering I design systems like this and know how software works at different stages of boot and operation, I can comment that it is likely that the 100% getting stuck point is at a stage where the USB software functionality for reading your filesystem and accessing files is not loaded and available. That can be a probable reason why you can see your phone as an available USB device, a feature that is available even without the OS being loaded, but not as something that presents the filesystems on your to your computer. Can't/don't know what the real reason is...

The goal behind my recommendation to try different computers and OSes is to see if you can get Link on any particular computer/OS to talk to your Passport.

Have you done a reset via the holding down both Volume Up and Down buttons for 10 seconds? I don't think it would help you, hearing your case, but it's worth a shot.

Also try this - it might help?

https://www.bbin.in/2013/02/to-black...cognizing-z10/
    Hi kkoo,

Thank you very much for your reply and detailed instructions. So far i could not find anyone with Mac computer, will take it to a computer shop repair (my friend's). and will try my luck there. Yes i have tried resetting with power and volumes together. i disconnected the battery and all other sort of tricks and techniques that could come to my mind. Will keep you posted after i try to connect it with a few computers and will also try the link you provided.
    Once again many thanks for your help, i have lost my sleep over this as it has very dear photos of my babies.

Kind regards
    03-20-18 01:30 AM
    hi - Townboy786
    I'm in same situation since 2 days ago--- I have been looking for solution and end-up here today! i'v gone through your suggestion but still stuck.... any info that will help get my bb passport back on function will be highly appreciated.. thanks guys
    05-06-18 02:13 AM
    If you do know how to disconnect battery, which requires the removal of back cover, then you can disconnect the battery and plug it into your computer and run the autoloader.
    It will install the OS and start freshly.

Posted via CB10
    05-06-18 09:53 AM
    This happened to me yesterday, and I spent all day autoloading and blackberry linking, holding down the power button and volume keys, quick-tapping the screen when it was loading, walking away and trying again. BlackBerry link always recognized the phone, but I couldn't get it off the 100% screen, then a black screen with a blinking red light. I don't know what did it, but BlackBerry link finally showed progress..i did a custom restore of data only, then selected apps. It still won't load media.

Posted via CB10
    05-13-18 04:06 PM
    Hi Everyone,

Here is an update on how i fixed my blackberry passport. I have tried alot of tips and tricks but nothing worked except the last one.

My BB passport's battery was drained and it wasnt starting (loading the OS). It was stuck on loading screen. I have tried soft and hard resets, removed the battery, bought a more powerful charger, tried to burst charge it, left it on charger overnight. But nothing worked.

This final trick fixed my passport. (Note) all your data will be lost.

1) leave the phone on wall charger for 2 hours
    2) Download the new version of blackberry link on you PC/Laptop
    3) Connect your BB passport to PC/laptop
    4)The blackberry link app should open (although the app will state that the device is disconnected
    5)on the Blackberry link app (click on your left hand side) under devices where it says your device name (Blackberry EXXX).
    6)it will direct you to the other page.
    7) on the bottom you will see a tab called (reload)
    8)Click on the that. a warning pop up will appear. Click ok and follow the instructions.
    9) leave your device attached to the PC/Laptop. The new OS will be reloaded. It will take between 1 Hour to 2 Hours.
    10) Once the reload is completed, remove your passport from the PC, attach it wall charger and start it. it should take you work and your passport will be ready for set up (wifi, date/time, language and other preferences).

Note: All your data will be erased, new operating system will be installed. You need a stable wifi connection. After setup, switch on the aeroplane mode and leave it to charge until its full. Then its ready to be used.

Hope this helps everyone.
    elfabio80 likes this.
    05-19-18 09:17 PM
    Hi Everyone,

Here is an update on how i fixed my blackberry passport. I have tried alot of tips and tricks but nothing worked except the last one.

My BB passport's battery was drained and it wasnt starting (loading the OS). It was stuck on loading screen. I have tried soft and hard resets, removed the battery, bought a more powerful charger, tried to burst charge it, left it on charger overnight. But nothing worked.

This final trick fixed my passport. (Note) all your data will be lost.

1) leave the phone on wall charger for 2 hours
    2) Download the new version of blackberry link on you PC/Laptop
    3) Connect your BB passport to PC/laptop
    4)The blackberry link app should open (although the app will state that the device is disconnected
    5)on the Blackberry link app (click on your left hand side) under devices where it says your device name (Blackberry EXXX).
    6)it will direct you to the other page.
    7) on the bottom you will see a tab called (reload)
    8)Click on the that. a warning pop up will appear. Click ok and follow the instructions.
    9) leave your device attached to the PC/Laptop. The new OS will be reloaded. It will take between 1 Hour to 2 Hours.
    10) Once the reload is completed, remove your passport from the PC, attach it wall charger and start it. it should take you work and your passport will be ready for set up (wifi, date/time, language and other preferences).

Note: All your data will be erased, new operating system will be installed. You need a stable wifi connection. After setup, switch on the aeroplane mode and leave it to charge until its full. Then its ready to be used.

Hope this helps everyone.
    Glad you managed to get it working again, it's a shame you had to lose all your photos etc. though.

Don't forget to back up your data regularly now in case it freezes again.

I always copy my pictures onto my computer in case Link doesn't work as it is a bit flakey at the best of times.

Posted via CB10 using my Classic running 10.3.3.3216
    05-20-18 04:55 AM
    Glad you managed to get it working again, it's a shame you had to lose all your photos etc. though.

Don't forget to back up your data regularly now in case it freezes again.

I always copy my pictures onto my computer in case Link doesn't work as it is a bit flakey at the best of times.

Posted via CB10 using my Classic running 10.3.3.3216
    Just use Onedrive automatic upload for photos backup.

Posted via CB10
    05-20-18 07:50 AM