For those at Crackberry who has the ear of any excutives at BB or if there are any BB executives reading this I would like to make this suggestion before you market the Passport in the US. Although BB has been going after mobile professional (i.e. those currently working) I believe the Passport is a devise that will work great for college students and BB should in fact go after that market. By simply showing how it can benefit the students with assignments and ofcourse communications I believe it will get the attention of millennials. Use the phrase something like for Today's professional and Future professionals.
    11-14-14 08:08 AM
    Your suggestion assumes there are plans of actually marketing the Passport....

Or that somehow the Passport would work better than an iPad.... because Apple has invested a lot in making the iOS platform very useful to both professors and students.
    H_O_Boomaye likes this.
    11-14-14 08:27 AM
    Your suggestion assumes there are plans of actually marketing the Passport....

Or that somehow the Passport would work better than an iPad.... because Apple has invested a lot in making the iOS platform very useful to both professors and students.
    The iPad can be a hindrance at times given its size. Unless you're talking about the iPad mini. Either way, the physical keyboard could provide more confidence in the typing experience. Not once in college have I seen anyone ever type up a paper or report using their iPad. It's always done on their laptops. Why? Physical keyboards. I think the OP has a point. No reason to shoot his idea down. Blackberry needs ideas to survive. If they don't market the passport, they're idiots. Any sale is better than no sale.

The amount of money invested in a product doesn't have direct correlation in the quality and performance of said product. Blackberry could do wonders for students. I personally would much rather use my passport over my iPad mini. If you put a commercial in front of 1 million people, sales are bound to take a small spike. Marketing is only good for a company as long as it's done right. If they don't do it at all however, it's ridiculous. How could you sell a product to a person without them ever seeing a billboard or commercial? It'd be a tough sell.

Posted via unlocked PASSPORT
    thedose and mithrazor like this.
    11-14-14 08:36 AM
    The iPad can be a hindrance at times given its size. Unless you're talking about the iPad mini. Either way, the physical keyboard could provide more confidence in the typing experience. Not once in college have I seen anyone ever type up a paper or report using their iPad. It's always done on their laptops. Why? Physical keyboards. I think the OP has a point. No reason to shoot his idea down. Blackberry needs ideas to survive. If they don't market the passport, they're idiots. Any sale is better than no sale.

The amount of money invested in a product doesn't have direct correlation in the quality and performance of said product. Blackberry could do wonders for students. I personally would much rather use my passport over my iPad mini. If you put a commercial in front of 1 million people, sales are bound to take a small spike. Marketing is only good for a company as long as it's done right. If they don't do it at all however, it's ridiculous. How could you sell a product to a person without them ever seeing a billboard or commercial? It'd be a tough sell.

I'm not saying the iPad or iPad mini are the key... it's the iOS ecosystem that is driving kids at many collages in the US to use them.

And I agree a student would still be better off with a full computer back at their dorm - would be the same for a tablet carrier or a passport carrier. But a tablet makes a much better choice for taking notes, and reading digital text books, accessing the Campus information system, than the Passport would.

I think there are some that could make the Passport work for them.... just that I wouldn't wast any marketing dollars chasing a niche where the Passport isn't really the best fit. Now if BlackBerry had a full tablet....
    11-14-14 10:39 AM
    Guys, I'm afraid that the focus of most millenials is social media. Snapchat, Instagram, Twitter, FaceBook and whatever else is the hot thing. Plus, they all have their proprietary Apple apps like Facetime that are only available on Apple. BlackBerry was not made for selfies and taking pics of your food. As BlackBerry has stated, the device is focused on professionals who focus primarily on business-related issues like e-mail, spreadsheets, conference calls, etc.

Posted via CB10
    11-14-14 11:10 AM
    Yeah. I doubt many college kids would buy a passport. It might be what they need, but almost everyone is going to go apple or whatever the most hyped android is.

Posted via CB10
    11-14-14 11:17 AM
    I understand that most millennials will go for the hype of Apple or Android my point was that BB should at least give a little demonstration of how the Passport can benifit them in the class room. I mean if it can be used for an presentation in the board room why not the class room.

Just a thought.
    11-14-14 12:04 PM
    I think today's youth (including a large # of college kids) don't really care about being more efficient in the classroom. They just care where is the next football tailgate party, frat/sorority party or who is that hot girl or guy in their Tinder feed. Again, not all students are this way but I guess a large portion are.

Posted via CB10
    11-14-14 01:58 PM
    Guys, I'm afraid that the focus of most millenials is social media. Snapchat, Instagram, Twitter, FaceBook and whatever else is the hot thing. Plus, they all have their proprietary Apple apps like Facetime that are only available on Apple. BlackBerry was not made for selfies and taking pics of your food. As BlackBerry has stated, the device is focused on professionals who focus primarily on business-related issues like e-mail, spreadsheets, conference calls, etc.

Posted via CB10
    I'm not a millenia as I'm 44 but I use social media to advertise my business as I'm in the fashion/beauty industry and have to use my Passport to manage my client data base and appointment schedule!

Posted via Passport OS 10.3.0.908/Rogers Wireless
    11-14-14 02:59 PM
    I'm a college student and I love my Passport - actually, this thread gave me the idea to use my Passport for an in-class presentation I have to give next month. I've gotten a few friends to download BBM on their iPhones, and also gotten a couple to switch to BlackBerry (one got a Q10, the other a Curve).

Posted via my amazing BlackBerry Passport!
    11-14-14 10:43 PM
    I'm a college student and I love my Passport - actually, this thread gave me the idea to use my Passport for an in-class presentation I have to give next month. I've gotten a few friends to download BBM on their iPhones, and also gotten a couple to switch to BlackBerry (one got a Q10, the other a Curve).

A curve? Even the latest curve is running bbOS? Why did you recommend such an old device? I'd understand a 9900, but damn.

11-14-14 11:07 PM
    I recommended a Q10, but that's all he could afford. It was his first smartphone, too, so it's not like he was coming to it from something advanced.

11-14-14 11:18 PM
    I recommended a Q10, but that's all he could afford. It was his first smartphone, too, so it's not like he was coming to it from something advanced.

Wait, that's cool, are you from NJ?

11-14-14 11:44 PM
    Can you spell T-O-O-L?

Posted via CB10
    11-14-14 11:49 PM
    I think it would be in Blackberry's best interest to market the device to college students here in the US. We need to change the mentally of the young folks here who are either 99.9 percent Android or IOS based.

One major issue here is that the brand has been cast aside and mostly forgotten about, I am dead serious about this folks.

One example, I was showing my passport off at the local T Mobile store while my friend was getting a replacement for his dead S5.

While everyone loved the device and was amazed at its features, all of the sales folks quickly started saying stuff like, nobody uses Blackberry anymore, they are out of business and folks quickly lost interest.

I was stunned at how a once iconic brand has literally been cast aside here in the USA. Android and IOS are the new standard at which any product marketed here will be judged against.

I really hope in the near future that the brand will be reintroduced here and with a good marketing plan.

I still preach the brand here and show off my passport wherever I go, but it is depressing to see how the retailers, Android and Apple's marketing have pretty much wiped the brand out here in the USA.
    11-15-14 06:47 AM
    Wait, that's cool, are you from NJ?

Nope, Texas!

11-15-14 09:10 AM
    Nope, Texas!

Sorry. It's cause your username starts with NJ. Assumed you're from here lol

11-15-14 09:11 AM
    Demographically, I'm a millennial, although I don't think my phone usage patterns match the expected ones. Might be why I have a Passport, then.
    11-15-14 09:19 AM
    Demographically, I'm a millennial, although I don't think my phone usage patterns match the expected ones. Might be why I have a Passport, then.
    I guess I'm a millennial...according to wikipedia:
    Millennials (also known as the Millennial Generation[1] or Generation Y) are the demographic cohort following Generation X. There are no precise dates when the generation starts and ends. Researchers and commentators use birth years ranging from the early 1980s to the early 2000s.

11-15-14 09:24 AM