We are a small group, spanning from far west (Maroc and Algerie) to far east (Kuwait and UAE), our keyboard carry the Arabic alphabet. The issue is:

Keys on the edges of our keyboards (Q-A-Z & P-BKS-Enter) are loose, squeaky and seem to wiggle slightly in its place when you run your finger across the key without pressing it (I already made a thread about it earlier). When these keys are pressed, you here it click multiple times, not the standard one click indicating a single keypress.

We have a total of 17 handsets, when the units came out of their boxes they were in perfect condition, over the course of 3 days-3 weeks it started developing the issues.

Our retailer/distributors here are not willing to do returns because they informed us that the units WERE in perfect condition out of the box, it is the responsibility of BBRY to have shipped fault-prone keyboards on the MENA version. Only way is it to send it with the warranty card and hope it can land you a replacement, but that wont help, because the replacement will break down the same way.

PLEASE anyone wanting to buy BBRY Passport in the Middle east and North Africa region beware, your keyboard will break over time, and you will find typing becoming a hassle, sometimes you press one key and you hear the button clicking twice which can make you think you typed the letter twice, just to find out you didnt.

WAIT till BBRY asks for a recall or brings a new batch of non faulty ones, thanks
    12-06-14 03:19 AM
    I highly doubt BlackBerry will perform any official recalls. Just take a look at the double-typing on the Q10, an issue which is known since more than a year, BlackBerry never recalled any devices. You had to send them in yourself via carrier or your retailer to claim your warranty.

Posted via CB10
    12-06-14 03:27 AM
    Looks like BlackBerry10 Double Type Issue 2.0

Sad.

Btw thought DHabrick(hope spell is right) said there are no issues in the new handsets!

Posted via CB10
    flyingsolid likes this.
    12-06-14 03:37 AM
    Taigatrommel, wasn't this a global issue? I had the same problem with my Q10 too.

However from another thread that I've made It seems that most folks in EU/NA have not heard of the KB issues us MENA users are facing. However friends and BB Passport owners (MENA KB edition) all have the same KB issue, regardless of where they got their handset (Whether in Algeria,Egypt,KSA,Kuwait or the UAE).

Q10Bold: We thought about the same exact thing prior to getting our passports, I guess he wasn't right about the issue-free handsets at all.
    12-06-14 03:39 AM
    I am in Dubai and had got the Passport on pre-order from the official Blackberry Store in Dubai within a week of the official launch. I also know a friend of mine who did the same. I haven't heard this complaint from him so far and I have also not faced this issue so far. This may not be a generic problem with all 'English/Arabic' Keyboards! Just a fyi.
    Last edited by AshokGov; 12-06-14 at 09:54 AM. Reason: Typo Error
    jojo beaconsfield likes this.
    12-06-14 09:52 AM
    We are a small group, spanning from far west (Maroc and Algerie) to far east (Kuwait and UAE), our keyboard carry the Arabic alphabet. The issue is:

Keys on the edges of our keyboards (Q-A-Z & P-BKS-Enter) are loose, squeaky and seem to wiggle slightly in its place when you run your finger across the key without pressing it (I already made a thread about it earlier). When these keys are pressed, you here it click multiple times, not the standard one click indicating a single keypress.

We have a total of 17 handsets, when the units came out of their boxes they were in perfect condition, over the course of 3 days-3 weeks it started developing the issues.

Our retailer/distributors here are not willing to do returns because they informed us that the units WERE in perfect condition out of the box, it is the responsibility of BBRY to have shipped fault-prone keyboards on the MENA version. Only way is it to send it with the warranty card and hope it can land you a replacement, but that wont help, because the replacement will break down the same way.

PLEASE anyone wanting to buy BBRY Passport in the Middle east and North Africa region beware, your keyboard will break over time, and you will find typing becoming a hassle, sometimes you press one key and you hear the button clicking twice which can make you think you typed the letter twice, just to find out you didnt.

WAIT till BBRY asks for a recall or brings a new batch of non faulty ones, thanks
    This isn't specific to that region, and it's not just those keys. 2/5 Passports that I returned to BlackBerry had the exact same fault, just different keys. It got so bad on some of them that the keys would actually get stuck. Even just last night I received another unit from BlackBerry direct that has the same problem with the (QWERTY key) A.

Don't know who's making their keyboards but they're not very good.

Posted via CB10
    12-06-14 10:47 AM
    Ashok the handesets in Kuwait and Gulf region are provided by AxiomTelecom, which is a 1st line distributor of the BBRY devices in the middle region. Do keep in mind they have brought all the Passports from Dubai, because their warehouses and headquarters are from there anyways.

We did find this issue mainly with the devices that were shipped with the Arabic/English keyboard (MENA region). Perhaps yours was an English only keyboard (NA model?)

Dejanh: Wow, talk about bad luck. Took you 3 handsets and all of them came with the faulty keyboard. Thank god you live in a country that values returns, over here once the plastic casing/unboxing is done, they consider it used and not fit for returning.
    12-06-14 10:48 AM
    Looks like BlackBerry10 Double Type Issue 2.0

Sad.

Btw thought DHabrick(hope spell is right) said there are no issues in the new handsets!

Posted via CB10
    I said the Classic had resolved the double type issues.

This isn't that issue.

The fact that he refers to a specific model variant is more than likely indicative of a faulty line.

Contact BlackBerry.

Posted via CB10
    12-06-14 10:54 AM
    I have my Passport since day 1 of the release in Saudi Arabia, and I don't have this issue. Actually for me, this is the best manufacturing quality I've seen on a BlackBerry.
    A total of 17 devices doesn't mean all the Eng/AR keyboards or MENA devices are infected.
    I know Axiom is the worst though, so sending the device to BlackBerry would be the best in your situation.
    Good luck.

Posted via CB10
    12-06-14 11:02 AM
    Ashok the handesets in Kuwait and Gulf region are provided by AxiomTelecom, which is a 1st line distributor of the BBRY devices in the middle region. Do keep in mind they have brought all the Passports from Dubai, because their warehouses and headquarters are from there anyways.

We did find this issue mainly with the devices that were shipped with the Arabic/English keyboard (MENA region). Perhaps yours was an English only keyboard (NA model?)

Dejanh: Wow, talk about bad luck. Took you 3 handsets and all of them came with the faulty keyboard. Thank god you live in a country that values returns, over here once the plastic casing/unboxing is done, they consider it used and not fit for returning.
    Mine is an English/Arabic Keyboard. I am not disputing your statement. All that I said was my experience. This may not be an endemic problem -that said, 17 is a sizable number of defective sets! I don't have the keyboard issue (at least so far) but have an issue with the fading in/out of calls when the phone is directly used - as I have mentioned in another thread. It seems that the manufacturing line that is building the Passports needs to be completely reviewed! Considering the overall bliss that the Passport confers, it would be a shame if these glitches turn out to be more than aberrations!!
    12-06-14 12:12 PM
    How would you send it directly to blackberry? All I know is that axiom does it on behalf of you since no blackberry offices or service centers exist in kuwait. Unfortunately

Edit: you guys need to know that it might still be early for the issues to show up. We have handsets that showed the keyboard problem on day 2 of user, and others at day 26...

Mine had no issues whatsoever for three weeks before the KB issues showed up.
    12-07-14 12:19 AM
    How would you send it directly to blackberry? All I know is that axiom does it on behalf of you since no blackberry offices or service centers exist in kuwait. Unfortunately

Edit: you guys need to know that it might still be early for the issues to show up. We have handsets that showed the keyboard problem on day 2 of user, and others at day 26...

Mine had no issues whatsoever for three weeks before the KB issues showed up.
    BlackBerry has a regional office in Dubai, I would reach out to them, or their Twitter mid east handle.

Posted via CB10
    12-07-14 12:33 AM
    I also have a kb with arabic letters on it.. im here in Dubai.. had the unit since launch and everything is perfect.

Posted via CB10
    jojo beaconsfield likes this.
    12-07-14 01:34 AM
    Can someone post a picture of how the passport with the arabic keyboard looks like?

Posted via CB10
    ponpiri likes this.
    12-07-14 01:51 AM
    I also have a kb with arabic letters on it.. im here in Dubai.. had the unit since launch and everything is perfect.

Posted via CB10
    We have to change the title of this thread. Now it should say "BlackBerry MENA eyboard confirmed to be in perfect condition". :-)

I just hate when someone (OP) claims something is "confirmed" or a definite solution is found when the source is a single individual with a small set of devices...

Posted via CB10
    12-07-14 02:00 AM
    Actually our group is 23 right now. We are 23 individuals,

Axiom already called me today saying that they are aware of the first batch sold, they do have faulty keyboard and are communicating with BB directly.

SO NO. Its not confirmed perfect condition just because 2 guys POSTED merely days after their purchase saying its in perfect condition. Hate all you want, and keep living in your little bubble of denial.

Here is a breakdown:

1 Maroc
    2 Algeria
    4 Egypt
    3 Oman
    8 Kuwait (Myself included)
    2 Saudi Arabia
    2 UAE (Abudhabi)
    1 Jordan (Irbid province)

And the list keeps growing. You can join our whatsapp group (BBme) by sending me your number through a direct message, I will add you, just inform me of your location thats all. Thanks !
    Deckard79 and Taigatrommel like this.
    12-07-14 05:48 AM
    Could just be that batch that is faulty. Good that it's being looked into.

So far my Passport keyboard is fine, thankfully.

Don't worry about some folk here - mention the Passport is anything less than perfect and some will just implode with complete disbelief. Hope your next one works better.
    12-07-14 11:25 AM
    Mine seems ok so far with over a month of use; bought it directly from Axiom KSA. But I will definitely keep an eye out to see if the keyboard starts acting up because thinking about BlackBerry and their keyboard history makes me cringe.

Posted via CB10
    12-07-14 11:39 AM

Halla Nasser,

Got my Passport from Axiom in Kuwait and my brother's too, I am a heavy keyboard user been over a month now. My brother and I have not faced any issues with the keyboard as you have mentioned above.

I reckon this problem might be caused the device being in tight pockets and may be causing stress on the steel frame ? I could be wrong with my assumptions.

My brother and I do not face the above mentioned problem. Thanks for the head up !!!
    12-07-14 01:01 PM
    Can someone post a picture of how the passport with the arabic keyboard looks like?

Posted via CB10

Blackberry Passport (MENA KB edition) is confirmed Faulty-img_20140716_134509_hdr.jpg
    Blackberry Passport (MENA KB edition) is confirmed Faulty-img_20140716_134500.jpg

Verizon Z30
    Umaima_B_Dia and ponpiri like this.
    12-07-14 01:15 PM
    Good luck, great that they're taking it up with BlackBerry, hopefully you'll have a solution soon.

I'm sure BlackBerry won't leave you'll hanging

Posted via CB10
    12-07-14 02:32 PM
    my first passport had more clicky noises than this one. still when i run my fingers over the letters near the edge, sometimes i get the wiggly loose keyboard noise
    12-07-14 09:07 PM
    No hating at all Nasser!
    Thank you for your initiative to represent all the guys with defective KB's on behalf all of us in the ME.
    Axiom is hard to negotiate with
    Hope your issue get resolved soon!

Posted via CB10
    12-07-14 10:26 PM
    Verizon Z30
    This is beautiful! Arabic letters :')
    Sad situation, though. All my BlackBerry devices are from Axiom as I need an Arabic keyboard. I guess it will be the same as Q10, later batches will have glitch free keyboards.

Q5SQR100-2/10.3.1.1016
    12-08-14 03:02 AM
    Thanks for the support folks. I really love my passport and wouldnt trade it for any other phone in this world. It just hurts to see something you love so much start to break apart. Hopefully we will get a solution.

I hope no one else has this problem. It could be just a bad batch for all of us that got their passports early.
    12-08-14 06:57 AM
27 12