Good day Passporteers!

I love my passport keyboard. I got used to it the first and second day after my purchase, I thought people said it will take me 2 weeks to get used to it, that wasn't my case. Anyways, beside loving the keyboard, I wanted to talk about a little problem with my phone, and perhaps your phone too, its about the squeaky right keys. Let me explain more:

The three Keys (Letter "P", Backspace and Enter) I outlined in the image have been weird lately, just simply placing your finger without pushing too hard you can feel it loosely moving left and right, even squeaking at some point. The other keys are correctly fixated and sturdy. Keep in mind that my version is the middle eastern one, comes with an Arabic Keyboard.

Is this part of the design? Is this normal? Is it a fault? I am here to find out with other passport owners.

It could be that I just overtyped myself in the past two weeks since ive purchased it

HELP!

Attached Thumbnails Blackberry Passport Keyboard - The Squeaks-keyboard.jpg  
    Last edited by Nasser Alomran; 12-02-14 at 06:39 AM. Reason: added video to explain
    11-28-14 01:38 AM
    No issues with those on mine (purchased in Hong Kong). Btw, after 1 month of use I can pretty much type without looking at the KB (which was what I used to do with a virtual keyboard).

Posted from my BB Passport in HK
    11-28-14 01:42 AM
    Opened yesterday a new one coming from eeuu and this keys are really solid...I don't know if in a few days could become like you said.

Posted via CB10
    11-28-14 01:52 AM
    Do you have the hard case?

I have the OEM rigid hard case on mine and the bottom right corner of the phone had started squeaking. At first I thought it was the keys, but after some playing around I realized it is the case on that corner that was squeaking when I was typing.

I took the case off and cleaned out some table salt/sand particles that were caught up in there.

Everything quiet again.

Posted via CB10
    11-28-14 02:36 AM
    No problem with the one i bought from Bahrain, I'd say return it for fix or exchange

Posted via CB10
    11-28-14 03:04 AM
    Have been using my Passport for more than three weeks now, no problems with squeaky keys, although a few are a bit on the soft side when I press them.
    I wouldn't say your problems are a normal behavior of the phone, especially since you say the keys feel loose. I'd try to return the device for warranty, as much as it sucks.

Posted via CB10
    11-28-14 05:41 AM
    Mine is a naked one, no cases are available here in Kuwait, I just ordered a genuine one and should be arriving soon I hope.
    11-29-14 04:51 AM
    Mine naked one...I'll take a punch maybe but I like how it feels in my hand.

Posted via CB10
    11-29-14 06:15 AM
    Well, since the keys have textile feedback it should not be rock solid, for you to have a feel of the feedback this keys were made that way so as u type fast u will feel the keys are bouncing right back at ur finger as u click on them. It is not a fault, so good one to BlackBerry. Thumb up for purchasing a solid BlackBerry passport. I love my BlackBerry Q10

Posted via CB10
    11-29-14 06:25 AM
    The three buttons on my Passport do not feel as "solid" as the other keys. There is a slight rocking movement if you gently slide your fingertip over the buttons. They all work fine however. So not sure if these are faulty or if it's just the design causing the slight play on these particular keys.

Posted via CB10
    11-29-14 07:33 AM
    Well I understand your point. But mine is rock solid, bought it from Amazon INDIA.

Posted via CB10
    11-29-14 07:36 AM
    Will have to think if I think it's worth sending it back. It doesn't bother me that much to be honest. Might be an issue if the keys start having more play with further use.

Posted via CB10
    11-29-14 07:44 AM
    Hi there, I had the same issue with the right side of my keyboard and I was in the 30 days to return so Rogers sent me a new one. It really bothered me if it was in a quiet room. I looked at multiple other devices and I didn't see the issue, and I went to a local Telus where one has been played with by hundreds of people and it seemed fine. Also, mine got a bit worse over time. Sorry to hear man.
    @PCArsenault
    11-29-14 08:13 AM
    The three buttons on my Passport do not feel as "solid" as the other keys. There is a slight rocking movement if you gently slide your fingertip over the buttons. They all work fine however. So not sure if these are faulty or if it's just the design causing the slight play on these particular keys.

Posted via CB10
    There is no better way to explain it than Chrissym69 just did. The three keys that ive pointed out are not the same as the other keys.

Its not bothering me that much. Its just that I wonder if this is a fault or it was intended as a design feature.

I really dont know if I can tolerate redownloading all my apps and my configurations especially the snap and android ports. Dont forget the folder and icon cataloguing that I have.

The other question: would it start becoming worse, if this was a fault?

I hope someone might end up figuring out what is wrong here
    12-01-14 05:44 PM
    I have the same issue. Mine is a newly purchased white version from amazon. For me though, the A, P, backspace, and enter keys all have that squeaky rocking back and forth. It still registers but I found that when I type fast, the "angle" of my key click matters and sometimes I miss the key because of that. I came looking for someone else with this issue so I'm glad you made a post. I've ordered a replacement from amazon. I'll report back if there is a distinct difference in it.

Rocking isnt a big deal but the rock + click/squeak is annoying since it changes the amount of pressure necessary to actuate the key. Not by a whole lot but enough that it throws me off.
    12-07-14 10:38 AM
    Nasser, I have only had mine since the 1st of this month, but so far the build quality of mine is completely solid. There are absolutely no squeaks or creaks or anything, the keyboard is 100% solid, like the keyboard of the 9930 was. Now I don't know if this will change over time, and if it does, I will let you know how long it took for mine to develop these symptoms (if that's how this works) otherwise, my passport is a tank.

I purchased it from Amazon during the black friday sale, and mine has a build date of 18/11/2014. It was also manufactured in Mexico 6
    12-07-14 10:42 AM
    Hate to say it but my replacement just came in and the keys are the same. Those same 3 keys on the right are a little loose and squeaky. I don't know if I'll exchange this one though. I found the replacement screen to be much better tone. A little cooler in color. Since that is the case, I'll probably keep it and in the future if something happens, I'll replace just the keyboard as I did the Q10 2 years later.

What did you end up doing?
    12-09-14 07:23 PM
    I have the same issue. Mine is a newly purchased white version from amazon. For me though, the A, P, backspace, and enter keys all have that squeaky rocking back and forth. It still registers but I found that when I type fast, the "angle" of my key click matters and sometimes I miss the key because of that. I came looking for someone else with this issue so I'm glad you made a post. I've ordered a replacement from amazon. I'll report back if there is a distinct difference in it.

Rocking isnt a big deal but the rock + click/squeak is annoying since it changes the amount of pressure necessary to actuate the key. Not by a whole lot but enough that it throws me off.
    I received a new black Passport from BlackBerry on Friday to replace one that has two stuck pixels. It has the same issue with the "A" key as described in this thread. It also has two stuck pixels, and a pretty serious gap between the screen and the frame above the notification LED which cumulatively makes it worse than the device it's supposed to replace.

Out of 8 Passports total that I've owned, only one has been flawless. The rest all had some sort of issue, ranging from minor to major problems such as the screen separating from the frame or a malfunctioning keyboard.

Here is the picture of the gap between the screen and frame from the newest device. Notice the light bleed above the LED. The gap is enough to insert one or two standard sheets of paper.

Blackberry Passport Keyboard - The Squeaks-img_20141207_220943.jpg

Posted via CB10
    12-09-14 08:26 PM
    I bought mine yesterday brand new sealed I think the guy had old stock everything is fine but my 'space button' is a little sticky, rocks and squeaks, notice it interferes with the 'B' and touches with each other. A little annoying, anyone know the warranty number in the UK?
    Thanks

Posted via CB10
    12-10-14 12:49 PM
    It would be helpful for you guys to post the manufacture date as well as the plant that assembled it instead of just saying 'I bought it from amazon' etc...

Posted via CB10
    12-10-14 01:56 PM
    Where do I find the manufacture date?
    Mine is made in Mexico 6.

Posted via CB10
    12-10-14 04:07 PM
    I have one just a few days old and am noticing keys all of a sudden making a chattering sound when pressed. Also, the right side of the keyboard feels a bit worn out compared to the left(quieter feedback, softer press). Oddly the softer side seems to tire that thumb out and makes typing feel almost like a chore. This is the second one I felt like this. My problem is I used one that had a perfect keyboard and now I feel short changed getting anything different. Shouldn't they all be the same? So frustrating...

Posted via CB10
    03-06-15 09:29 PM