When in darkness or in dim light my keyboard is not turning on
    I was wondering if there's a way to turn the lights on

From BlackBerry with Love
    10-24-15 01:47 PM
    Mines doing the same going to have to reload OS. What version are you on PassportSQW100-1/10.3.2.2789

Posted via CB10
    10-24-15 06:56 PM
    Normally mine would fix itself with few reboots but it hasn't since loading this latest leak PassportSQW100-1/10.3.2.2789

Posted via CB10
    10-24-15 06:57 PM
    You can try holding vol up and vol down till the phone reboots see how you go

Posted via CB10
    10-24-15 10:25 PM
    BlackBerry Passport Keyboard Light-img_20151025_083731.png

This is my version, so you think that it's from the software?

10-25-15 06:18 AM
    This has been a chronic problem for me. I sent the phone back to BB to repair the problem when it first started happening, as it seemed like a hardware issue. They did replace the relevant hardware. A month or two after getting the phone back, the problem started again. That time, BB had me reload the OS through Link, and that resolved the problem. Yesterday, I saw it happening again so a hard reboot fixed it.

The moral of my story I guess is that you can probably fix the issue by reloading the OS through LInk if the restart or hard boot do not work. It is not likely a hardware issue as my phone has had the hardware replaced and yet still had the problem.

I am on software release 10.3.2.2474; OS version 10.3.2.2639.
    10-25-15 06:37 AM
    When I first got my SE a month ago, it was doing that and I was concerned about it and was about to send it back for a replacement. I loaded the. 2789 OS since it had WiFi calling, which I needed badly. There was bugs here and there initially :for example the WiFi calling kept dropping or wouldn't connect. I was shocked how long it took this OS to settle in. Normally it takes about 2 days, but this one finally settled in on the 6th day. Ever since then, no dropping on the WiFi calling, the keyboard back light has been working perfectly and the phone is running smoothly now. Hopefully, that is what your phone needs to do as well. Oh, not sure if it helped but everyday till the 6th day, I did a hard reset. Hope this helps.

Posted via CB10
    10-25-15 10:16 AM
    The keyboard is actually linked to the proximity sensor. It can detect the amount of light in the room, and turn on the backlight of the keyboard. I have been having issues with my proximity sensor for quite some time, my screen doesn't even turn off when I am on the phone.

I thought it may have been an Android app that has Phone permissions. But after wiping the phone, I am still having issues. I will need to send my phone to BlackBerry for a replacement. Hopefully it works out! I hate not having a keyboard!

Posted via CB10
    10-28-15 07:47 PM
    I discovered that the problem there is every time i clean the screen and the bb passport silver edition corniche.
    I reboot it and the light restarts.
    I think some sensor is covered / disactivated from the cleaning action and need a reset every time.
    10-29-15 04:50 PM
    Oh, since you mentioned the phone staying lit when talking, I had that too. Maybe by chance, this might be why the keyboard is working. I doubt it but it did fix my phone call problems as it stayed lit also. Here is what I did to fix it. In settings go to Advance interaction and then toggle off 'Hold to stay awake'. Once I turn that off, the phone works perfectly. Both my wife's phone and mine were acting up till I turned that off. No problems since. Good luck.

Posted via CB10
    10-29-15 05:06 PM
    Thanks guys for all the help
    Much appreciated

10-29-15 06:12 PM
    From the scope of the problem, that I am experiencing in my Passport, everything points to the proximity and light sensor driver, crashing. The QNX kernel tries to restart the driver, until a threshold, after which the kernel will blacklist the driver and not restart it anymore.

Posted via CB10
    11-11-15 07:50 AM