The biggest issue I see with the Passport's keyboard is the loss of true touch typing. I'll need to look down to select commas and question marks and the @ symbol? The dollar sign. Bloody quotation marks, apostrophes, and parentheses? No thank you. This keyboard is way more useless that I had originally thought.
    Posted via CB10
    Joao Oliveira likes this.
    06-23-14 10:40 AM
    The biggest issue I see with the Passport's keyboard is the loss of true touch typing. I'll need to look down to select commas and question marks and the @ symbol? The dollar sign. Bloody quotation marks, apostrophes, and parentheses? No thank you. This keyboard is way more useless that I had originally thought.
    Posted via CB10
    This is the feedback I've had from someone who attended the London event.

For those who like productive keyboards this phone is DOA.

Posted via CB10
    06-23-14 10:45 AM
    By the looks of the keyboard, it doesn't seem like it's touch sensitive.

The space bar looks like it is. Maybe it will need a double click or swipe down to access the special characters.

Posted via CB10
    06-23-14 01:08 PM
    By the looks of the keyboard, it doesn't seem like it's touch sensitive.

The space bar looks like it is. Maybe it will need a double click or swipe down to access the special characters.

Posted via CB10
    The keys have not to be so different of those of the Q10... I have a keypad that complements the PS3 controller. It is touch sensitive. When swiping with the finger on its keys, I can move a mouse on the screen!!
    Here's a photo: (screenshot from Amazon.de)
    BlackBerry Passport!! How to type special characters and numbers? (Eg. 1,2,3... *, (, ), \)-img_20140623_204026.png

BlackBerry*Q10, T-Mobile Germany - SQN100-3, Running OS 10.2.1.2941
    jpvj likes this.
    06-23-14 01:43 PM
    Why should I?
    Someone have to start producing it, right? Why not BlackBerry? Which has the power, knowledge, resources, mass production capabilities (it's essential to keep costs low), and fans that would by it making it a risk worth spending on.
    Optimus does not have all of this, they cannot risk making high volume to lower the cost, and their keys are "full" color RGB, which is not needed for a simple keyboard, an ePaper is sufficient.

And why the Passport keys are brighter as the screen? While Classic one are not?

The point, is still that a "fourth virtual row" is still stupid... is the same technique used on Q10 for extra symbols, which feature a full qwerty, but is slower because you have only one row at a time instead of 3 and you lose the key feedback.
    Why not applying the same technology on a working layout, instead of stripping out keys and functionality? Why not printing them on the keyboard?
    Why force people to touch the screen instead of keeping the hands on a comfortable keyboard?
    Why should everyone buy an half keyboard, when they could easily make a full keyboard with gestures?

If you are right, it's stupid and none would buy it. A lot of BlackBerry fans ditched the Q10 because of the tool belt (or at least trackpad).
    BlackBerry users are about efficiency, what you describe is far from being efficient. It's a bad gimmick, a subset of what is already available on Q10* and even on Bold 9000, without touch. A physical keyboard without physical keys...

I find hard even for the king of brainwasher Steve Jobs to sell this bull****, and he sold the iphone telling that computers don't have a keyboard.

* gestures excluded, just typing experience.

Your forgetting the purpose of this device. The classic is to bring over people who love the tool belt and can't migrate to BlackBerry 10. The passport is the next step for a keyboard device. It is for the people who loved the q10 it's the next step and it will also be the next step for the classic users. It's a device that ties a keyboard with innovative productivity and screen real estate. So to look at it from the view you are is silly. Also I'm excited for the passport and will be getting it. So I doubt "no one" is going to get it.

Posted via CB10
    06-23-14 02:36 PM
    ^^^+1000

Post from my Z3 Jakarta ed.
    06-23-14 03:08 PM
    Posted via CB10
    Well I am going to assume that swiping down on the keyboard will give you symbols as it does on the Z-series phones. If this phone requires you to swipe down to reveal that "N" is the comma, it will only be a matter of time before I learn that and can continue touch typing as I would on any KB device. It would actually be easier because I wouldnt have to find alt first, just swipe down anywhere and hit N..

I dont know, I am just trying to justify it for myself, too... I am confident BlackBerry has thought this through because I dont think it would have been a very big deal for them to include the extra row of button and just make the phone a third of an inch longer
    06-23-14 05:39 PM
    Well I am going to assume that swiping down on the keyboard will give you symbols as it does on the Z-series phones. If this phone requires you to swipe down to reveal that "N" is the comma, it will only be a matter of time before I learn that and can continue touch typing as I would on any KB device. It would actually be easier because I wouldnt have to find alt first, just swipe down anywhere and hit N..

I dont know, I am just trying to justify it for myself, too... I am confident BlackBerry has thought this through because I dont think it would have been a very big deal for them to include the extra row of button and just make the phone a third of an inch longer
    This exactly. I especially agree with the last statement. There is a reason why they implemented it the way they did and it's not to screw with people who want to use a KB. They must genuinely believe that the implementation is good.
    grevan88 likes this.
    06-23-14 05:58 PM
    Posted via CB10
    06-23-14 06:43 PM
    The Passport is being introduced primarily for the health care industry, I'm certain there will be a simplified practical use of the keyboard ,to add in the punctuation. The partnership of BlackBerry with Nanthealth and Nantworks recently, along with Chens comments on announcement of the device will verify this,the debate on how to do this or that will soon be over, the device will be out soon.

Posted via CB10
    06-23-14 06:52 PM
    Your forgetting the purpose of this device. The classic is to bring over people who love the tool belt and can't migrate to BlackBerry 10. The passport is the next step for a keyboard device. It is for the people who loved the q10 it's the next step and it will also be the next step for the classic users.
    So, Chen really wants to stop producing device.
    He just found a way to not declaring it and be forced by the marked.

The Passport is being introduced primarily for the health care industry, I'm certain there will be a simplified practical use of the keyboard ,to add in the punctuation. The partnership of BlackBerry with Nanthealth and Nantworks recently, along with Chens comments on announcement of the device will verify this,the debate on how to do this or that will soon be over, the device will be out soon.
    Would people stop keep talking about medical use?
    It's not a blood analysis machine, it's a phone!
    They signed that contract in April, it's not been enough time to develop a new device! This is in development from a lot of time, it has nothing to do with medical research or anything else.
    That will come in the future, and not precisely as a phone, it could be an application or some peripherals.
    Last edited by II ARROWS; 06-24-14 at 09:56 AM.
    CeCoQ likes this.
    06-24-14 03:10 AM

People would stop keep talking about medical use?
    They signed that contract in April, it's not been enough time to develop a new device! This is in development from a lot of time, it has nothing to do with medical research or anything else.
    That will come in the future, and not precisely as a phone, it could be an application or some peripherals.
    Beg to differ but in the interest of the argument give you the benefit of the doubt, let's see how things unfurl.

Posted via CB10
    06-24-14 04:12 AM

Ok dude lol. You run with your views.

Posted via CB10
    06-24-14 04:37 AM
    I just really wanna see how the new keyboard technology benefits the experience. I'm all for change but it should really be beneficial. Excited to see demos.

Posted via CB10
    CeCoQ likes this.
    06-24-14 09:05 AM

I actually agree with you in respect to the whole "medical" bit. This device was not designed or meant for such a narrow target group. If anything it was designed and meant for users who travel a lot. Long battery life, large screen, powerful specs, think notebook replacement in some regards in your pocket. Anyway, let's wait and see.

Posted via CrackBerry App
    06-24-14 09:41 AM
    I actually agree with you in respect to the whole "medical" bit. This device was not designed or meant for such a narrow target group. If anything it was designed and meant for users who travel a lot. Long battery life, large screen, powerful specs, think notebook replacement in some regards in your pocket. Anyway, let's wait and see.

Posted via CrackBerry App
    Who even said it was a medical device in the first place......? and I see other people saying it's a phone for travelers? Not because it's called the passport means it's for traveling. Then the galaxy is for astronauts?

Posted via CB10
    06-24-14 11:14 AM
    swiping up on space bar and having the illuminated keyboard change characters would make it pretty edgy, swipe down for caps lock
    06-24-14 11:50 AM
    Posted via CB10
    I have exactly the same concern...
    06-24-14 01:28 PM
    Swipe down on the keyboard and the special characters are shown. Just like in the Z10 and Z30.

Posted via CB10
    Wholly crap I just learned something new. Thanks!!!

BB Proud
    06-24-14 01:32 PM
    I have a theory about how the keyboard will work (and I hope I'm right, or at least in the ballpark). You know how on certain traffic lights, both the walk and stop lights for the crosswalks are in the same spot (walk symbol turns off and the stop symbol turns on and vice versa)? Imagine that concept in the keyboard - two sets of backlight on the keyboard - swipe down on the keyboard, the light that powers the letters turns off and the one that powers the symbols turns on.

Might be wishful thinking, but I think it would be a neat concept.

JB

Posted from my brain to your screen via CBQ10
    06-24-14 02:40 PM
    I have a theory about how the keyboard will work (and I hope I'm right, or at least in the ballpark). You know how on certain traffic lights, both the walk and stop lights for the crosswalks are in the same spot (walk symbol turns off and the stop symbol turns on and vice versa)? Imagine that concept in the keyboard - two sets of backlight on the keyboard - swipe down on the keyboard, the light that powers the letters turns off and the one that powers the symbols turns on.

Might be wishful thinking, but I think it would be a neat concept.

JB

I've been thinking a lot about this over the past few days. And I've come to the conclusion: why not just print the keys with two characters like they always do? It'd be so much cheaper.

Posted via CB10
    06-24-14 03:05 PM
    I've been thinking a lot about this over the past few days. And I've come to the conclusion: why not just print the keys with two characters like they always do? It'd be so much cheaper.
    I've been wondering the same.

Now, to stray from the "realistic expectations" path a little; If the {keyboard keys} had had glyphs projected from a screen behind them, after all, as some of us would like to dream of, instead of printed on, we would have seen some immediate practical advantages:

- Not requiring printing on the keycaps, BB would only need to manifacture four kinds of keys for regular letters (left- and right bevelled, with- and without nubs for the index finger keys on the home row).

- No need to keep inventory of different keymap devices and spare parts for different languages - one size fits all. (EDIT: Would have preferred 11 keys across, though, instead of just 10 - not just for punctuation, but more so for immediate access to umlauts, where we use them (a lot). :7)

- A practically inifinite number of correctly shown possible keymaps on any one device (no running out of keycap space to print on).

With the potential to let the same panel that would light up the letters, also take over the keypress and touch detection (both), from mechanical switches, you could actually end up with something that on the whole is cheaper, more durable, and easier to repair, than current keyboards.

I don't think we'll see anything of the sort, but I do like the thought of it.
    Last edited by jojon2se; 06-24-14 at 05:33 PM.
    06-24-14 04:21 PM
    I think we have a partial answer here: but also we need to see it in action. :-)

BlackBerry Passport will show there is a better way to accomplish more with its touch-enabled keyboard | CrackBerry.com
    06-24-14 05:29 PM

Posted via CB10
    Cheaper maybe, but doesn't do much to innovate, which is the likely goal here.

I'm looking forward to seeing how the touch gestures from the virtual keyboard are incorporated into the physical keyboard. I can't wait to see the innovation.

JB

06-24-14 06:52 PM
    There was a thread that linked to this:

The enigmatic BlackBerry Windermere project - BerryNation
    http://www.berrynation.es/enigmatico...to-windermere/

It's in spanish so use google translate.

Posted via CB10
    06-24-14 09:36 PM
100 ... 234