These keyboards are going to be so shiny with wear along the swiping line. The keys should be stainless steel, too, if you ask me. Just wait, passport keyboards will get grosser faster than any previous BlackBerry kb.

Posted via CB10
    I have no idea whether they will get "grosser" or not, so you might be right. But because of the swiping? Don't be ridiculous.

Posted via CB10
    06-22-14 09:52 AM
    Wow.. lot of guessing.

I'm NDA'ed but at least two people in this thread got it right.

I can tell you however that the individual keys are not changing (e.g. mini OLED screens). It would cost a fortune!

Posted via CB10
    Thank you, now that you confirmed I'm right,:-))))

Posted via CB10
    06-22-14 10:02 AM
    So what happens when you accidentally swipe?
    You cannot "accidentally" swipe, because even on Z10 you have to make a well defined movement. It's fast and goes straight over almost all the keyboard.

I can tell you however that the individual keys are not changing (e.g. mini OLED screens). It would cost a fortune!
    Oh, thank god you are under NDA but can still talk to us.
    And no, it wouldn't cost a fortune, especially using epaper display (that helps in power efficency too.

It will undoubtedly cost more then usually keyboard (it costs more just because of the gestures), but it's not a big change.
    06-22-14 12:27 PM
    The keys are touch sensitive... Either swiping/flicking, or may be a "secret" technology that changes the key-display??
    That's it, guys: swipe up and the keys turn their displayed letter into numbers and symbols!?!

BlackBerry*Q10, T-Mobile Germany - SQN100-3, Running OS 10.2.1.2941
    this would be awesome!
    06-22-14 12:57 PM
    this would be awesome!
    Don't get your hopes up, the keys do not change
    06-22-14 01:43 PM
    You cannot "accidentally" swipe, because even on Z10 you have to make a well defined movement. It's fast and goes straight over almost all the keyboard.

And no, it wouldn't cost a fortune, especially using epaper display (that helps in power efficency too.

It will undoubtedly cost more then usually keyboard (it costs more just because of the gestures), but it's not a big change.
    could be even simpler, put each key with 2 Led's, one Led to normal characters and another to special characters
    06-22-14 02:27 PM

Did anyone ever tell you that you are really annoying? If you're wrong you're wrong, just walk away. I feel like we're all staring at an elephant and all of us are saying is an elephant and you keep saying, no it's a goat.

Posted via CrackBerry App
    06-22-14 06:02 PM
    Did anyone ever tell you that you are really annoying? If you're wrong you're wrong, just walk away. I feel like we're all staring at an elephant and all of us are saying is an elephant and you keep saying, no it's a goat.
    Yeah, good analogy.
    But BlackBerry is not selling an elephant. It's selling a goat.

If you see an elephant, that's your problem. If their goat is an elephant, and you see it right, it's their problem.
    06-22-14 06:22 PM
    Yeah, good analogy.
    But BlackBerry is not selling an elephant. It's selling a goat.

If you see an elephant, that's your problem. If their goat is an elephant, and you see it right, it's their problem.
    OK I am actually laughing out loud. This is definitely the post of the day.

06-22-14 09:20 PM

I'm also disappointed that the processor remains the ****y Snapdragon 800 (it's not even the overclocked 801 version) -that's supposed to be a next gen phone...stop using a 18 months old processor pls :/
    But that is just you, a clueless kid shouting about something he clearly does not know jack.
    My ~10 months old Snapdragon 800-based Xperia Z Ultra still runs circles around EVERYTHING on the market while still driving a 6.5" screen and giving me over a full day on battery (no power save mode ever.)
    Stop spreading utter nonsense, please.
    06-23-14 12:41 AM

Jesus, where do you people get these nonsensical idiocies, I cannot imagine...
    Seriously, it's not rocket science: if NOBODY makes such a keyboard - as nobody does - then it would cost a LOT to develop... for no apparent reason. So in short: it would be a HUGE change - and an absolutely pointless one at that.
    06-23-14 12:44 AM
    Thank you, now that you confirmed I'm right,:-))))

Posted via CB10
    Pictures clearly show that the space button doubles as a trackpad...
    06-23-14 12:45 AM
    Take your seat... the whole keyboard!!
    When you open a web page for example, "caressing"/swiping on the keyboard moves the page!! (to read up/down/to the sides, for example when you zoom a bit)...
    I saw John swiping on it (on the video) and the screen changed... so swiping/gestures can be made from the key surface!?!

BlackBerry*Q10, T-Mobile Germany - SQN100-3, Running OS 10.2.1.2941
    You forgot to mention double tapping the keyboard invokes action to select or fine tune place by cursor similar to trackpad.

Turning the device sideways - ways - invokes the scrolling as rotation is invoked. Get it right man lol.

? BlackBerry Z30 ? If it Don't Make Dollars, It don't Make Sense ?
    06-23-14 12:50 AM
    Can't wait!! Need an official presentation of the device NOW!!! John, please do it! Please?!
    Attachment 279749
    06-23-14 01:30 AM
    That is strange. What about non-english speaking countries. How will the Cyrillic e.g. letters be displayed?
    06-23-14 01:48 AM
    Wow.. lot of guessing.

Posted via CB10
    I'm so sad to be wrong

I wished the keys were epaper or something simple and cheap like that with the symbols changing. Then it would keep the advantage of a physical keyboard (yeah) and the flexibility of a virtual one (awesome).

Disappointment is not far I guess.

Posted via CB10
    06-23-14 01:55 AM
    Symbols appear on the screen for selection. The keyboard does not change. Huge let down.

Posted via CB10
    First of all, let's admit that the keyboard on Blackberry Passport is a huge innovation from Blackberry. The first touch sensitive keyboard phone ever on the planet! No one has done that before!

Second, the virtual row for numbers/symbols on the bottom of the screen is a remarkable idea.
    Take a second to actually think about it, when you want to type both characters/numbers/symbols in your chat, email, with current soft/hard keyboard, in total, you need several swipes to get to the numbers/symbols panel and several swipes to get back to characters panel, or multiple taps for Alt key. With the Passport, you need none swipe and the numbers/symbols is just one tap away.

Last, the idea of keyboard changing itself like onscreen keyboard is truly awesome. But the technology behind it isn't easy as it sounds like. Sometime down the road, Blackberry may be able to do that, but with limited resource and money right now, I think the current approach is already way beyond expectation.
    anischab likes this.
    06-23-14 02:15 AM
    If you were trying to be sarchastic pls. go somewhere else.
    Instead of having all kinds of questions asked, I prefer to let people know that there is a limit of what can be shared and why.

BlackBerry are making physical keyboards. Each key is individual.

Making a full keyboard with individual ePaper (or any other technology) keys is insanely complicated and thus expensive *compared* to a standard keyboard. For each key, you would need individual wires and acontroller under each key.

Take a look at this video and notice the amount of wires going to the display. You could argue it could be via 2 wires (serial bus), but then you would need all the electronics and controllers under the small key.

Micro wires combined with movement from each keypress and you are heading for a disaster for your customer service/RMA department. Pls. remember that the moving parts of the current keyboards contains no electronics, and STILL BB is having quality issues with them.

The capacitive part of the new keyboard is much simpler to design and implement. It's not a precision device and I *assume* the resolution is quite low.

Even from the PC world I only know of one company trying to construct a keyboard with individual screen on the keys. They started about 7 years ago. If it was such an easy task, many others would have followed. Also notice much more space for electronics and sturdier components:
    Optimus Popularis
    I know this is a completely different market and techology, but look at the price :-o

Most other companies are looking into a touch keyboard when talking about ePaper keyboards. Google being one of them Patent US20120092259 - Touchpad keyboard with electronic paper display - Google Patents
    and another Chinese company: TOUCHPAD KEYBOARD WITH ELECTRONIC PAPER DISPLAY - Patent application

It's just a basic touch keyboard make with ePaper.

Current ePaper keyboards does not have any advantage on a mobile device because they simply works as a touch keybaord. It's simpler and more versatile to use the touchscreen for such a keyboard and everybody has done that.

Conslusion: It's NOT easy or cheap to make a physical keybaord with individual screens as keys and it will definitively make the keyboard a much more expensive and fragile part of the device. Touchscreens are clearly taking over this market due to price and simplicity.

I might be wrong. If you think I am, please share your knowledge by showing any product or similar technology and I will be happy to accept any mistake.
    06-23-14 02:51 AM
    Pictures clearly show that the space button doubles as a trackpad...
    Oh they do, do they? sigh.
    06-23-14 04:03 AM
    I might be wrong. If you think I am, please share your knowledge by showing any product or similar technology and I will be happy to accept any mistake.
    Why should I?
    Someone have to start producing it, right? Why not BlackBerry? Which has the power, knowledge, resources, mass production capabilities (it's essential to keep costs low), and fans that would by it making it a risk worth spending on.
    Optimus does not have all of this, they cannot risk making high volume to lower the cost, and their keys are "full" color RGB, which is not needed for a simple keyboard, an ePaper is sufficient.

And why the Passport keys are brighter as the screen? While Classic one are not?

The point, is still that a "fourth virtual row" is still stupid... is the same technique used on Q10 for extra symbols, which feature a full qwerty, but is slower because you have only one row at a time instead of 3 and you lose the key feedback.
    Why not applying the same technology on a working layout, instead of stripping out keys and functionality? Why not printing them on the keyboard?
    Why force people to touch the screen instead of keeping the hands on a comfortable keyboard?
    Why should everyone buy an half keyboard, when they could easily make a full keyboard with gestures?

If you are right, it's stupid and none would buy it. A lot of BlackBerry fans ditched the Q10 because of the tool belt (or at least trackpad).
    BlackBerry users are about efficiency, what you describe is far from being efficient. It's a bad gimmick, a subset of what is already available on Q10* and even on Bold 9000, without touch. A physical keyboard without physical keys...

I find hard even for the king of brainwasher Steve Jobs to sell this bull****, and he sold the iphone telling that computers don't have a keyboard.

* gestures excluded, just typing experience.
    Last edited by II ARROWS; 06-23-14 at 07:10 AM.
    06-23-14 04:37 AM
    What worries me is the lack of a shift key.

The keyboard may double as a track-pad for easier text selection, but without a physical SHIFT key to press and hold it's going to be a very clumsy process.

I love the idea of the virtual keyboard, but there was never anything wrong with having an ALT and SHIFT key. They're fixing what ain't broken!
    06-23-14 04:59 AM
    Why should I?
    Someone have to start producing it, right? Why not BlackBerry? Which has the power, knowledge, resources, mass production capabilities (it's essential to keep costs low), and fans that would by it making it a risk worth spending on.
    Optimus does not have all of this, they cannot risk making high volume to lower the cost, and their keys are "full" color RGB, which is not needed for a simple keyboard, an ePaper is sufficient.

And why the Passport keys are brighter as the screen? While Classic one are not?

The point, is still that a "fourth virtual row" is still stupid... is the same technique used on Q10 for extra symbols, which feature a full qwerty, but is slower because you have only one row at a time instead of 3 and you lose the key feedback.
    Why not applying the same technology on a working layout, instead of stripping out keys and functionality? Why not printing them on the keyboard?
    Why force people to touch the screen instead of keeping the hands on a comfortable keyboard?
    Why should everyone buy an half keyboard, when they could easily make a full keyboard with gestures?

If you are right, it's stupid and none would buy it. A lot of BlackBerry fans ditched the Q10 because of the tool belt (or at least trackpad).
    BlackBerry users are about efficiency, what you describe is far from being efficient. It's a bad gimmick, a subset of what is already available on Q10* and even on Bold 9000, without touch. A physical keyboard without physical keys...

I find hard even for the king of brainwasher Steve Jobs to sell this bull****, and he sold the iphone telling that computers don't have a keyboard.

* gestures excluded, just typing experience.
    This assumes that the entire design team missed several blatantly obvious things about what makes a keyboard efficient. I find that hard to believe. There has to be a rationale for implementing things the way they did and it has to be at least as efficient as typing on the Classic. Let's just take a wait and see approach and soon we will find out. One thing blackberry hasn't really failed in, so far, is keyboard design. The one mistake they made, Storm, is very unlikely to be repeated when company's survival is critically important.

Last edited by dejanh; 06-23-14 at 10:25 AM.
    06-23-14 10:00 AM
    This assumes that the entire design team missed several blatantly obvious things about what makes a keyboard efficient.
    No, this assumes that is not the way you type symbols...

Just because it's really hard to believe they made such an error.
    06-23-14 10:04 AM
    No, this assumes that is not the way you type symbols...

Just because it's really hard to believe they made such an error.
    -_- *sigh*

06-23-14 10:26 AM
    But that is just you, a clueless kid shouting about something he clearly does not know jack.
    My ~10 months old Snapdragon 800-based Xperia Z Ultra still runs circles around EVERYTHING on the market while still driving a 6.5" screen and giving me over a full day on battery (no power save mode ever.)
    Stop spreading utter nonsense, please.
    It's not about actual performance, it's about marketing and bragging rights. That's just the current smartphone climate.

That said, if the only processor on the market that betters the 800 is an overclocked 801, well I'd prefer the stability and battery life. Is there a new generation of snapdragon processors available?

Posted via CB10
    06-23-14 10:38 AM
100 1234