Hey there guys,
    I recently purchased a BlackBerry Passport. It is a truly wonderful handset in most respects. However, there is one issue which is bothering me: when I insert the SIM card, after a while I experience physical symptoms not unlike that on a flight (pressure to the head etc.). It is quite unpleasant, and after a day or so I have to eject the SIM card.

I have taken the following steps to minimise the problem:

1. Turned off NFC;
    2. Turned off 4G.

Step 1 helps.

A. But is there anything else that I can do (e.g. with the settings, antenna or purchasing a case) to eliminate this feeling?
    B. Would I be better off with a different Passport model which has different frequencies?
    C. Is there anyone at BlackBerry I can write to about this issue? I experienced a similar problem with other BlackBerry handsets (9320, Classic), only it was much, much worse. I do not wish to abandon the platform.

Any guidance on this matter would be sincerely appreciated. Many thanks!
    06-16-15 06:11 AM
    I would visit the doctor and find out if there is anything going on first.
    06-16-15 06:20 AM
    Tinfoil comes to mind, but look what it did to Chuck.

Posted via CB10
    Marijo_Varna likes this.
    06-16-15 06:28 AM
    I would have to agree with donation. Visit your doctor first and hear what he has to say.

Posted via CB10
    Marijo_Varna likes this.
    06-16-15 06:39 AM
    Ask the user on here by the name....
    thurask

He has an answer to everything.

Posted via CB10
    TJKGT and Marijo_Varna like this.
    06-16-15 06:41 AM
    I would visit the doctor and find out if there is anything going on first.
    I have seen more than one medical professional about this. Apparently it is quite common for users to experience these sensations (and much worse, including migraines) during calls. I have no specific problem during calls - it's when the SIM card is inserted that the issues begin.
    06-16-15 06:49 AM
    Are these symptoms only while using the Passport or any phone/smartphone?

Posted via CB10
    Marijo_Varna likes this.
    06-16-15 06:50 AM
    I have experienced these symptoms with the following handsets:

Nokia E7, BlackBerry 9320, Classic and Passport. However, the Passport is the mildest. With the Classic, as soon as I inserted the SIM and disabled flight mode it felt as if my head had suddenly inflated: really weird and not a good sensation at all.

I did not have these symptoms with the following: Nokia 1600, Nokia E71 and Apple iPhone 4S. However, with the E71 calls caused headaches.
    06-16-15 06:58 AM
    Gosh that's horrible. Feel terrible for you, that has to be rough.
    Marijo_Varna likes this.
    06-16-15 07:16 AM
    Pretty sure you should see a doctor.
    Marijo_Varna likes this.
    06-16-15 07:19 AM
    May be you are sensitive to the radio waves. When a Sim card is inserted, the phone has to detect the cell towers. And may be that is causing the issue?

I am surprised you are OK while talking on the phone. The radiation is highest when we talk than while listening.

I have wireless data, blend, device connections, media sharing, and blackberry protect turned off most of the times. I turn on blackberry protect only when I am traveling and stuff.

I did these changes, after I monitored the network traffic on my phone using Microsoft network monitor. I wish there was a way to individually choose which apps or functions could be allowed data access.

Samsung phones are known to use one of best antenna technology that has lowest SAR. Unfortunately they are all android.

Posted via CB10
    Marijo_Varna likes this.
    06-16-15 07:20 AM
    How about doing a blind test of inserting the Sim, just to rule out that it is not placebo.

I have also read that there are people who could even sense SMS through blind test.

Posted via CB10
    Marijo_Varna likes this.
    06-16-15 07:27 AM
    Try to use Bluetooth... and see if you are having the same symptoms...

Posted via CB10
    Marijo_Varna likes this.
    06-16-15 07:44 AM
    Gosh that's horrible. Feel terrible for you, that has to be rough.
    Many thanks! It's definitely not ideal but on the other hand it made me aware of these kinds of issues, which is a blessing.
    06-16-15 07:59 AM
    May be you are sensitive to the radio waves. When a Sim card is inserted, the phone has to detect the cell towers. And may be that is causing the issue?

I am surprised you are OK while talking on the phone. The radiation is highest when we talk than while listening.

I have wireless data, blend, device connections, media sharing, and blackberry protect turned off most of the times. I turn on blackberry protect only when I am traveling and stuff.

I did these changes, after I monitored the network traffic on my phone using Microsoft network monitor. I wish there was a way to individually choose which apps or functions could be allowed data access.

Samsung phones are known to use one of best antenna technology that has lowest SAR. Unfortunately they are all android.

Posted via CB10
    Yes, exactly. As soon as the SIM is inserted, it initiates contact with the nearest mobile masts/cellphone towers - and my problems begin!

Indeed - I used to have problems (get headaches) during long calls. These have gone.

I will try turning off wireless data and device connections: these are great suggestions.

You're right: Samsung is known to have great SAR ratings and antenna technology. I'm strongly considering a Note 3 if I can't resolve this issue.

I am also going to try using a CellSafe RadiChip (Cellsafe | Cellsafe) and Green8 Smartphone Shield (http://www.bauer-biotec.com/). These didn't do a whole lot on the BlackBerry Classic, but it might be a different story on the Passport...
    06-16-15 08:18 AM
    How about doing a blind test of inserting the Sim, just to rule out that it is not placebo.

I have also read that there are people who could even sense SMS through blind test.

Posted via CB10
    Great idea, though sadly this is definitely not a case of placebo. I wish it was!
    06-16-15 08:20 AM
    Try to use Bluetooth... and see if you are having the same symptoms...

Posted via CB10
    I'll try this. Many thanks!
    06-16-15 08:21 AM
    http://www.popsci.com/science/articl...2/disconnected

I did not know that this actually exist. Sorry to hear OP

Posted via CB10
    Marijo_Varna likes this.
    06-16-15 08:21 AM
    Hey there guys,
    I recently purchased a BlackBerry Passport. It is a truly wonderful handset in most respects. However, there is one issue which is bothering me: when I insert the SIM card, after a while I experience physical symptoms not unlike that on a flight (pressure to the head etc.). It is quite unpleasant, and after a day or so I have to eject the SIM card.

1. Turned off NFC;
    2. Turned off 4G.

Step 1 helps.

A. But is there anything else that I can do (e.g. with the settings, antenna or purchasing a case) to eliminate this feeling?
    B. Would I be better off with a different Passport model which has different frequencies?
    C. Is there anyone at BlackBerry I can write to about this issue? I experienced a similar problem with other BlackBerry handsets (9320, Classic), only it was much, much worse. I do not wish to abandon the platform.

The unlocked Passport has a low SAR value unlike the E71 and the others you have listed.

Try getting a new SIM from your cellular service provider. I had this problem with the Passport, Classic, iPhone 6 and 6 Plus. I used to feel nauseous even if I just held the phones in my hand. But somehow, getting a new SIM from AT&T solved the issue for me. Not sure if this will help, but, It's definitely worth a try.

Also, look up Electromagnetic Hypersensitivity on Google or wikipedia.

Posted via CB10
    Marijo_Varna and Nugzie like this.
    06-16-15 08:37 AM
    The Man Who Was Allergic to Radio Waves | Popular Science

I did not know that this actually exist. Sorry to hear OP

Posted via CB10
    Wow, that is a sad story! Yes, this is a live issue.

The strange this is that I have no problem at all in public places (trains etc.) where there are large numbers of telecoms devices - no problem at all.
    06-16-15 08:56 AM
    The unlocked Passport has a low SAR value unlike the E71 and the others you have listed.

Try getting a new SIM from your cellular service provider. I had this problem with the Passport, Classic, iPhone 6 and 6 Plus. I used to feel nauseous even if I just held the phones in my hand. But somehow, getting a new SIM from AT&T solved the issue for me. Not sure if this will help, but, It's definitely worth a try.

Also, look up Electromagnetic Hypersensitivity on Google or wikipedia.

Posted via CB10
    Many thanks for your kind post! The nano SIM card from my provider (3 in the UK) is brand new, but you've set me thinking: could it be the SIM card itself and not the phone that is the issue? Perhaps I could try a PAYG SIM from other networks and see how that goes...
    06-16-15 09:00 AM
    Hey there guys,

1. Turned off NFC;
    2. Turned off 4G.

Step 1 helps.

You sound like me. For some reason I have a high sensivity to Bluetooth. No actual cause or diagnosis was ever found, physical came back normal. It was ruled a sensitivity to BT frequencies.

I get headaches if I try to use an earpiece or full sized BT headphones. I actually make it a habit not to hold cell phones too close to my head unless absolutely necessary. I use the speakerphone with the majority of my calls and the lion's share of communications done thru my Passport involves typed correspondence.

I don't think that it's just limited to Blackberry though. The frequencies and bands are standardized. Other makes of phone should be giving you the same discomfort. And getting yourself checked out may be good advice as well.

-- Passport, Virgin Mobile (Toronto)
    Marijo_Varna likes this.
    06-16-15 10:14 AM
    Does lowering your connection from LTE to 3G help?
    Marijo_Varna likes this.
    06-16-15 10:15 AM
    You sound like me. For some reason I have a high sensivity to Bluetooth. No actual cause or diagnosis was ever found, physical came back normal. It was ruled a sensitivity to BT frequencies.

I get headaches if I try to use an earpiece or full sized BT headphones. I actually make it a habit not to hold cell phones too close to my head unless absolutely necessary. I use the speakerphone with the majority of my calls and the lion's share of communications done thru my Passport involves typed correspondence.

I don't think that it's just limited to Blackberry though. The frequencies and bands are standardized. Other makes of phone should be giving you the same discomfort. And getting yourself checked out may be good advice as well.

-- Passport, Virgin Mobile (Toronto)
    Interesting stuff. Indeed - if the frequencies are standardised then this is not going to be the crux of the matter. My feeling is that it might be something to do with the antenna technology, or as Sai noted, the SIM card.
    06-16-15 10:48 AM
    Does lowering your connection from LTE to 3G help?
    Not much, to be honest.
    06-16-15 10:52 AM
26 12