Hello members

I have a very unique problem which requires a very unique kind of support. I am trying to Hot spot my red unlocked Blackberry passport (not an enterprise subscriber) to my new dell xps 13 (2015) laptop. The dell wireless card is not picking up the hotspot from my phone. But the strange thing is that my Blackberry passport hotspot signal can be picked up by all the laptops with wireless card except for the new dell xps 13. I tried everything possible. I contacted dell technicians and Microsoft technicians. Everyone is clueless as to why this is happening only with the Blackberry passport. If anybody knows or is aware of this issue from any previous threads than can you direct me to it or help me solve this mysterious problem. The dell wireless card in my laptop can be hotspotted to all other phones (windows phone, iphones, androids ) except for Blackberry passport. Please help me out as I am very upset and I have to frequently stop at macdonalds or timhortons to use their wifi on my dell xps and cant use my phone data on my laptop.
    09-26-15 04:48 PM
    buy an external wifi receiver or use a usb cable and tethering
    09-26-15 05:30 PM
    A few people reported problems with WiFi on their Passport. I don't know if you saw this thread already, but have a look: https://supportforums.blackberry.com...e/td-p/3008254
    09-26-15 05:48 PM
    Have you tried connecting your Passport hotspot to a variety of other devices? If a variety of devices are able to successfully use the Passport's hotspot, that means Dell XPS laptop is probably not configured properly.

Can you test if any older phones are able to connect to your Passport hotspot? I was able to connect my Blackberry Bold to my Passport hotspot, and the Bold doesn't even have a SIM card.
    09-26-15 06:23 PM
    I have this same issue. Sony vaio can't detect it, but the hp laptop can...
    09-27-15 01:27 AM
    Have you tried connecting your Passport hotspot to a variety of other devices? If a variety of devices are able to successfully use the Passport's hotspot, that means Dell XPS laptop is probably not configured properly.

Can you test if any older phones are able to connect to your Passport hotspot? I was able to connect my Blackberry Bold to my Passport hotspot, and the Bold doesn't even have a SIM card.
    Yes All the laptops I have tested do connect except for Dell XPS. it seems that there is a configuration issue and the dell technicians aren't cooperating. Infact they told me to dump your Blackberry passport cause nobody buys them these days. I mean how rude just because I am carrying a device with a blackberry badge doesn't mean we should get treated like dirt. I might as well refund the laptop than change phones.
    09-27-15 03:05 PM
    https://forums.crackberry.com/e?link...token=kkYt8lNp

The above (or similar) is likely your simplest solution

Posted via my fantabuloustastic passport (the original)
    09-27-15 06:41 PM
    Or buying a phone made by another company
    09-27-15 07:07 PM
    Or buying a phone made by another company
    As t phone connects to practically all other devices but this one laptop, I'm not really seeing your logic for this statement.

P.

09-27-15 09:04 PM
    As t phone connects to practically all other devices but this one laptop, I'm not really seeing your logic for this statement.

P.

there is usually no logical explanation because of blind unconditional love for Blackberry phones. I cannot function without blackberry passport. its something that I don't expect you to understand.
    Last edited by suspiciousguy; 09-27-15 at 10:37 PM. Reason: error
    09-27-15 10:36 PM
    there is usually no logical explanation because of blind unconditional love for Blackberry phones. I cannot function without blackberry passport. its something that I don't expect you to understand.
    I think "pboud_01" was responding to the comment by "magicdesign". The user named magicdesign suggested "buying a phone made by another company", which to me seems illogical as well. The laptop is messed up, NOT the Passport. Keep that Passport man!
    09-29-15 04:07 AM
    Ya, that was rude of the Dell technician to bash your BlackBerry. Not everyone will ever understand the allure of BlackBerry devices or why we are addicted so much to these phones.

It still appears to me that the laptop is the problem....maybe it just needs a patch or some WiFi settings need to be tweaked. Or, maybe try a new wireless network adapter like pbound_01 suggested.

Best of luck man!
    09-29-15 04:13 AM
    I hotspot Windows devices to my Passport very frequently, and sometimes they all have trouble picking up the signal. Turning off wifi on the computer or tablet, and turning it back on after a few seconds (with the BlackBerry hotspot active throughout) usually resolves the issue.

Never used a Dell, however.

Posted via CB10 from my awesome Passport
    09-29-15 07:45 AM
    Just tried my Sager, connects no problem. Win10
    09-29-15 08:05 AM
    Suspicious guy: make sure there are no special characters in the name of your Hotspot. Rename it to something with no spaces and no specials characters. Try again

Posted via CB10
    09-29-15 08:20 PM
    One other thing to do is to go to the dell support site and enter your service tag

Then go make sure you have the latest wireless card Driver

Posted via CB10
    09-29-15 08:26 PM
    First Attempt to connect to another wifi Hotspot.
    Verify what mode is your dell laptop in? Is it in promiscuous mode? Or ADHOC or wifi ing out to other devices...
    If no discrepancies there then do this
    Make sure that your wifi is pushing out the right freqs 2.4 or 5ghz. do the 5gz if you have a cordless phone at home.

On another note if you are on windows 10 and other devices are or are not can be a factor. I've had it where my surface tablet would not detect a wifi hotpot either z10 z30 passport after its initial connection. Are you using a local user account?
    If you aren't then that could be a problem. If I connect one device to the hotpot that is using the same account, I wasn't able to connect on another. I don't know why but I would connect one and wait a bit restart the troubleling device and let it connect first to my mobile Hotspot. Then I was good

Posted via CB10
    09-29-15 08:35 PM
    Just bought a Lenovo Yoga 3 and cannot see the hotspot along the list of available networks. The same hotspot of my Passport was visible from previous laptop and still visible from other devises. I will try some suggestions found in this blog and eventually report. Long life to my precious Passport

Posted via CB10
    09-30-15 09:56 AM
    Dell is aware of this issue.. If anyone of you planning to get a Dell XPS 13 9343 laptop than it will not connect to the hotspot on BB passport. I tried changing it from 2.5GHz to 5 GHZ still it didn't work. I tried changing my hotspot name to very simple name it still didn't work I did every possible thing but it didn't work. Don't say i didn't warn you if you're not sure you can walk into any microsoft store and test it out for yourself.
    10-16-15 08:50 PM
    Just wondering if you were able to resolve this connectivity issue? I have been having the exact same issue with the BlackBerry Z30 and the XPS 13 (2015). Actually, when I first got the laptop it would connect. After a specific driver upgrade it stopped working (earlier this year). So I did a rollback and everything was fine again. Alas, after Windows 10 I must have let Dell install some drivers without noticing. So yesterday I tried a few older drivers but no luck. It seems the one magic driver that worked has disappeared! Note that the Z30 works flawlessly as a hotspot with all other devices (phones, tablets, laptops) so I do believe this is a Dell problem.

I am also having some odd wireless behaviour with Dell and my Netgear wireless hotspot. The hotspot seems to deliver 10 to 25 Mbps down for all other devices but the Dell can only pull 1 or 2 Mbps down. Oddly enough it manages screaming uploads of around 10-15 Mbps. This behaviour is fairly consistent from day to day and at different locations. I've heard of this behaviour due to ISP configuration but not a laptop! Other devices connect to the same hotspot and enjoy super download speeds. I can only conclude that the Dell has some serious WiFi issues. I am thus considering replacing the Broadcom card with an Intel wireless card. Bizarre that I should need to do this on 2015 laptop.
    11-26-15 09:51 PM
    I'm not a super techy guy by any means, and I don't know if this is logical as I've really never used tethering from my Passport, but is there an option to connect via USB and use the connection hard wired?

I know that's not the answer you were looking for but it could get you through until you find a permanent solution.

Posted via my Awesome Red Passport running on T-Mobile Unlimited Data. SQW100-1/10.3.2.2639
    11-26-15 10:49 PM
    Hi, I hope someone sees and responds to this. My Asus phone tab won't connect to my BlackBerry Q10 hotspot. I tried to connect other android device and the hotspot works. I tried connecting the Asus tab to other network and it works. So I concluded, the problem is between the Asus tab and BlackBerry hotspot. Has anyone encountered the same problem?

Posted via CB10

Posted via CB10
    12-12-15 10:25 AM
    I too have the exact same laptop and my passport's hotspot does not show up in the list. Every other network i have, which is many are visible in my wifi list.

However i believe this to be a windows 10 issue. For 1. every other device that i have from 5 different kindles, 3 Macs and other smartphones all can connect to my passport's wifi hotspot.

Not one of my windows 10 machines can. I have one windows 10 machine that uses a netgear adapter and that is the only way for that specific machine to use my passport's hotspot. Ironically i have to go through Netgear's software which screws up Windows 10. It's a catch22 with it.

It is frustrating when every other device and Macs can use the passport's hotpsot but not my XPS windows 10 laptop or any Windows 10 desktop, unless it uses a netgear adapter going through netgear's software.

I have tried looking for a way to change security type of the passport's hotpsot but that setting is not available. Any update is greatly appreciated.
    12-15-15 04:02 PM
    I have the same problem: I use a Blackberry Passport SE and a Dell XPS 13. I have made do by carrying a cord with me and tethering via USB. It's not a perfect solution but it does work.
    02-25-16 11:53 AM
    Hi,
    1. You have to do a system recovery dell to Windows 8.1 (this is my case).
    2. You need to remove the driver wifi dell (Manager devices - network cards).
    3. Scan for hardware changes - system windows will use the driver 'Broadcom 802.11ac Network adapter'.
    I have 6.30.223.102
    4. Finished hot spot you can see, you can connect and use
    best regards, Pawel
    03-19-16 04:12 AM
26 12