On my iPhone 5S, one feature I use more than almost anything on the phone is the wired headset that comes with it. With this wired headset, you can do things such as control the volume and the most important of all, use it to toggle Siri and have her perform tasks such as reading texts (while driving) or calling people (also while driving).

I Use this so that I don't have to keep whipping out the phone, inputting password (because touch ID is not that responsive always) and then clicking around to finally making the call (sometimes my hands are full so I just use the headset button and it's literally as simple as 1 push and saying "call mom" etc... This feature is very handy when it is raining or snowing outside, or when my hands are full.

Now, I have been googling, youtubing, and trying to find something on the latest headset that is provided with the Passport but my question is still unanswered... I don't yet have a Passport since I am holding out for it to be released on Verizon (which I'm confident will be soon).

• Could someone please tell me, the headset that comes with the Passport, does it enable you to use blackberry assistant via a button?

Does it have volume rockers?

Has anyone tried using an iPhone headset with their Passport? (doubt it would do anything, but doesn't hurt to try)

If this feature is not there, I'm curious if BB will implement it in the future updates.

Thank you!
    10-31-14 08:02 AM
    The supplied headphones are great but they only have one button. The button functions as the play pause button, or if held for a second will trigger Assistant.

I have tried iPhone headphones and they work the same. The volume buttons do not do anything but these are from an older iPhone 4s. I can't find my old BB headphones that did have a volume rocker to test with, sorry.
    thedose likes this.
    10-31-14 08:16 AM
    The supplied headphones are great but they only have one button. The button functions as the play pause button, or if held for a second will trigger Assistant.

I have tried iPhone headphones and they work the same. The volume buttons do not do anything but these are from an older iPhone 4s. I can't find my old BB headphones that did have a volume rocker to test with, sorry.
    And to add most high end in ear headsets with ios approved use on box use to work prior to the passport! The three key mic, I assume that is what you are talking about does not work with this current os. However a future update will correct this issues. Prior to the new 10.3 volume up/down and trigger functions would work including activating assistant with ANY headset approved for ios.

Posted via Passport OS 10.3.0.908/Rogers Wireless
    thedose likes this.
    10-31-14 10:19 AM
    I know this is not a direct answer to the question asked but just to make the point, my Motorola (old and new) blue tooth headsets all have a separate button from the volume up and down and that activates the blackberry assistant so you can make calls and read texts without ever taking out the phone. The battery (for me) lasts for over a month sometimes two or three with light calling. I used to used wired because I didn't want to worry about having to charge the headphone but for me it hasn't been an issue since I don't have to charge the headphone that often and it will tell you the battery level every time you turn it on so you know when you need to charge it.

Anyway just thought I would add that info.
    12-01-14 09:17 PM
    Can someone confirm how far the headset jack needs to be pushed into the passport ? I tried connecting the headset for the first time today and it went up to the last fret. The head set wouldn't go in fully and I tried pushing it more inside.

The head set wouldn't work at first but after 3 tries it started working. If someone can confirm if the headset goes fully in, that would be great.

Posted via CB10
    12-02-14 07:13 AM
    That's with the one that came with it? i'd be very careful pushing that too far in a 3.5mm jack may have different connections on it in terms of wiring, but it should be the same length and should just clip into place quite smoothly. I really wouldn't force anything, and if you need to, I'd seriously consider taking it back to where you got it from?
    Can someone confirm how far the headset jack needs to be pushed into the passport ? I tried connecting the headset for the first time today and it went up to the last fret. The head set wouldn't go in fully and I tried pushing it more inside.

The head set wouldn't work at first but after 3 tries it started working. If someone can confirm if the headset goes fully in, that would be great.

Posted via CB10
    12-02-14 07:24 AM
    Thanks for your reply, yes this is the premium head set that came in the box. I did not want to risk pushing it in too much. Its working as of now with a small portion still out.

Too many people were complaining about me fading in and out on calls, so I wanted to try with the headset.

I don't want to return the phone as my other BB10 devices have been distributed within the family and in the office.

Posted via CB10
    12-02-14 07:34 AM